• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did... he just say that Yuji Horii is a bad writer? Because he dislikes some of the small stories that you encounter along the way. Those ones are the result of a lack of writing skill.

Keep in mind this is about the English translation, which is in fact a bit uneven.

So, if I conjured ten previously-nonexistent people into existence beside me, and every single one of them swore that they alone were not conjured, that they had been standing next to me for hours, since they walked into the room, they have pasts and lives and memories... each one of them says it's the other nine people who just randomly popped into existence, that's contradictory? Conjured people shouldn't be able to see the magic but believe it's not happening to them?

He's saying that if you make all these islands reappear in the past, they should have been there for a long time in your present and people shouldn't be surprised that they are there.

Gloam

To me DQ7 feels almost as much an adventure game as it is an RPG, so it doesn't really matter when exactly the fighting begins. It's a well done intro.

It's funny you mention that, I think Horii mentioned taking influence from Myst and other adventure games when planning DQ7. Might have been in an Iwata Asks about DQ7r.

I'm really wanting to like DQ6 (DS version) more than I do because the story is ambitious. But the story is bit hard to follow with the
two worlds

And then there's the
Hallowed Hollow with the kid running off (it would be less annoying if I didn't already open the chests he'd run towards). Needing to talk to everyone in Aridea to progress was some silliness as well.
And there's some transphobia with an NPC.

In better news, I finished DQ9 yesterday. I started the playthrough nine days beforehand (I had previously played up to the
Ragin' Contagion
upon release, but started again). That's the fifth DQ I've finished, joining DQ1-4.

5, 7 and 10 are the only main ones I haven't played at all.

I'm certainly used to it. Prior to Dragon Quest becoming more popular after 8, DQ7 was one of the least-liked games in English-speaking RPG circles. And its reputation still sticks with it, particularly its "long/boring intro that takes forever before you can get to the first fight," despite the most beloved RPG Persona 4 having an intro that takes even longer.
For some reason Persona 4 gets a pass on many things. Even the below par dungeon crawling gets a pass despite it still being a significant part of the game.

DQVII's intro may be 'long' but to me, it feels more interactive and engaging than Persona 4's. I still would have rather they didn't shorten it in the remake.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Might have been in an Iwata Asks about DQ7r.

Is that available in English somewhere?

For some reason Persona 4 gets a pass on many things. Even the below par dungeon crawling gets a pass despite it still being a significant part of the game.

In Persona (3&4) you're mostly busy with managing your personas and combat is a means to get access to new ones. Since you're mostly busy with that, the randomly generated dungeons aren't that much of an issue. Plus you're usually coming back several times, so it's probably better they are not always the same.
This kind of "dungeon design" wouldn't fit in a Dragon Quest game, but it's alright within the context of the Persona games.

In Persona (3&4) you're mostly busy with managing your personas and combat is a means to get access to new ones. Since you're mostly busy with that, the randomly generated dungeons aren't that much of an issue. Plus you're usually coming back several times, so it's probably better they are not always the same.
This kind of "dungeon design" wouldn't fit in a Dragon Quest game, but it's alright within the context of the Persona games.

I mostly agree (though the dungeons are not well randomised, particularly in P4), and I enjoy both games in spite of it...I am even a fan of P3 in particular but I can't excuse that flaw since you spent a lot of time in the dungeons regardless. DQ games in general are much more tightly designed, with no major component that flawed.

tbm24

A DQ3 novice should stick with the basic RPG party, Muscle/Hero/Healer/Wizard. But don't take the companions who were offered, because you want to get some female diversity in there, and the default offer is a sausage fest (I assume they're still doing that). Recruit some new ones. I think most people suggest the Martial Artist over the Warrior as your team's muscle.

Around level 20, you'll be able to switch job classes, so you can round out your characters or double-down on their specializations, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it and have a better idea of what you want from your characters.

I actually got a female wizard right off the bat so I'm fine in that department. My hero is also female anyway. I'm using the warrior for now but I'll see if I can sub in the Monk as soon as I can.

Camjo-Z

I got DQ Swords in the mail yesterday. I thought it was going to be low quality spin-off garbage since I never really hear much about it but it's actually a good game! (Also the battle music is awesome.) I kind of want them to make a sequel on Wii U because the gameplay would be improved so much with Wii MotionPlus.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Here's an article on Siliconera.

Haha:

However, with the current audience, Majima feels that most players would leave the moment they think something looks boring or tiring.

They are probably very right about this.

I mostly agree (though the dungeons are not well randomised, particularly in P4), and I enjoy both games in spite of it...I am even a fan of P3 in particular but I can't excuse that flaw since you spent a lot of time in the dungeons regardless. DQ games in general are much more tightly designed, with no major component that flawed.

Well, I guess they could have at least added something to do in the dungeons instead of just looking for the exit, but I'm not sure what would have worked better for these games. Maybe huge fixed dungeons like Strange Journey's that have checkpoints you can get back to later on?
I'm hoping they are completely changing the formula again for P5 anyway. But I guess it shouldn't be that long until we see more of that game.

Psxphile

Here's an article on Siliconera. They don't link to the article itself though.

Hm. This is why I'm hesitant to try the original DW7. The whole idea of getting lost but having fun doing it is novel for an jRPG, but I'm not particular enthused with the prospect of wasting time, especially these days. I certainly want to take my time and enjoy what could be considered one of the more grander Dragon Quests, but I don't want 1/3 of that time squandered on backtracking and flailing about looking for that one item necessary to progress in the game. I want to love and cherish the game, not curse it and abandon it mid-stride. DQ7r seems like it was developed with that in mind, and I can appreciate that.

I don't know if I could go on if I had to witness this in any game:

2WjRaV3.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
Even the original DQ7 gives you hints on where to find the next shard. Sometimes they are a bit vague, but you could always consult a FAQ if you must.
Playing the remake would probably be ideal, but since it's getting pretty unlikely this is still coming, you should really play the original.

It's an interesting point, since Chrono Trigger behaves more like he describes and both were written by Horii.

I honestly think DQ7 is the better time travel story. In DQ7 it feels like your actions in the past have consequence and matter, while in CT almost everything is static regardless of what you do.

Hm. This is why I'm hesitant to try the original DW7. The whole idea of getting lost but having fun doing it is novel for an jRPG, but I'm not particular enthused with the prospect of wasting time, especially these days. I certainly want to take my time and enjoy what could be considered one of the more grander Dragon Quests, but I don't want 1/3 of that time squandered on backtracking and flailing about looking for that one item necessary to progress in the game. I want to love and cherish the game, not curse it and abandon it mid-stride. DQ7r seems like it was developed with that in mind, and I can appreciate that.

I don't know if I could go on if I had to witness this in any game:

2WjRaV3.jpg

When I was playing DQ7 earlier this year I used a guide so I didn't get lost. The game was still quite enjoyable and difficult. I had attempted to play it once before so I had a little better planning on jobs this time around and I think I finished the first disc in under 40 hours. I got sidetracked and haven't played for a few months so I am only maybe halfway through disc 2.

I guess since the 3DS version is all but never coming out in the West at this point, it'll soon be my time to play DW7 PSX version myself. It's the only one I still haven't played in the main series besides X and it's online-ness.

Ryuukan

just finished DQ I on iOS this afternoon and started DQII

how do I get the discount card off the tombola with minimal effort

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
just finished DQ I on iOS this afternoon and started DQII

how do I get the discount card off the tombola with minimal effort
You could abuse the quick save feature and just keep trying.

I Didn't even know there was a discount card. I've had no trouble gathering money for the stuff I need. Now I'm near the end of the game and have almost $100,000 with nothing to spend it on.

Einhandr

So I'm thinking about importing Dragon Quest Heroes and see that there is both a Japanese version and Asian version as well. Does anyone know if the Asian version will include any English text (as I know sometimes Asian version releases sometimes do)?

In an effort to quickly finish DQIX, I'm doing something I've almost never done in Dragon Quest.

Metal Hunting. Specifically stalking for the LMS's you can find in the Bowhole. I changed my Wariror to a Gladiator and my Mage to a Sage, so now I'm trying to get them both up to level 40ish. They're around level 33 and the other two members are at level 46ish, so I may see if it's enough to beat the final boss.

So I'm thinking about importing Dragon Quest Heroes and see that there is both a Japanese version and Asian version as well. Does anyone know if the Asian version will include any English text (as I know sometimes Asian version releases sometimes do)?
No English for this version, usually we have both edition so still hoping for it.

Psxphile

DQXI includes a social sim system ala Persona. Boom, instant appeal. 500k in the first week alone. Dragon Quest is saved (in the west).

Heh.

I just beat the "final" boss of DQ9 and saw the credit roll. I also have access to personally flying the train so I can do fun things like visit inaccessible places and avoid map encounters. I'll probably mess around with the game when the mood strikes me, but I guess it's safe for me to put away DQ9, just in time for MonHun4U coming out next month.

Final party was a Gladiator, Priest, Sage, and Martial Artist. Priest and Martial Artist were around level 50, and the Gladiator and Sage were around Level 33. Priest and Martial Artist are slowing down in EXP and skill point gain, so I'll probably swap their classes to something else soon. Maybe a Thief for the martial artist so she can grow her claw skills and a Paladin or Sage for my Priest so he can improve his Magic or be a Tank, not sure yet on that.

"Final" thoughts on the main game is that the gameplay portion of DQIX is probably the best so far, but the charm and story that is the main draw for me with DQ is pretty lacking.

Aeana

The punny location and character names in the latest DQ translations are by far the most annoying thing about them to me. Everybody complains about accents, but I love those. But I feel that the punny nature of some of the things makes them into jokes and changes the impact entirely. For instance, in Dragon Quest 5, the castle you visit in the childhood part is called Lenule. The name isn't important on its own. It's a piece of the scary story weaved by the bard in town. When you go there, you learn of a tragic story of a king and queen (with normal names -- Eric and Sophia), and you're supposed to be a little uneasy. Horii is telling the story of a frightful adventure by two little kids. In the English version, it's called Uptaten Towers, and the moment Count Uptaten wanders out to speak with you, the entire thing begins to feel like a farce. The atmosphere is wrecked; it's stupid.

They had it right in Dragon Quest 8. No stupid joke location or character names. They went overboard after that.

Reknoc

That's a good point, they could certainly tone it down a little for stuff like that.

(Count Uptaten is killing me now though, so bad and yet so good)

edit: I'm playing the iOS version of DQ1 and this dialog is unreadable, I'm pro-accents but what is this shit. Also stop cutting off my music! :mad: Kor or whatever, top right, is kinda of terribly designed? Within the instant I entered there I was pitted against something harder than any enemy I'd encountered; an NPC that wouldn't move from the single title space I needed to get into town... then a minute later another NPC blocked me from getting to the Inn!

Zere and Zere Rocks in DQ9 really irked me, so far to go for such a stupid joke.

Oh god! How am I missing all of these puns until now?! I don't know whether to be annoyed or laugh.

I have a love hate relationship with the puns. On one hand, I recognize the original mood being lost as being a really bad thing. It's important for localizations to try to maintain the feelings given by the original version as much as possible, and only changing things to better convey those feelings to the new audience. I get that.

...but I can't help but chuckle at the puns and find them charming. I honestly think Dragon Quest games have made me appreciate cheesy puns more in my personal life.

Still, I suppose it is overboard. Maybe they should lay off the puns in plot areas and stick to having them for enemies and the many light hearted moments these games have.

Gloam

I don't get this one :(

Spoilies for DQIX:

One of the vignettes focuses on a town called Zere, you travel into the past (or is it the future) and visit the town which has been turned to stone. Zere Rocks is a pun on Xerox, the photocopy brand.

Reknoc

Spoilies for DQIX:

One of the vignettes focuses on a town called Zere, you travel into the past (or is it the future) and visit the town which has been turned to stone. Zere Rocks is a pun on Xerox, the photocopy brand.

oh my god. That's amazing. These people need Knighting or something.

The Zere thing is that a
replica of Zere was carved out of stone, making the Zere Rocks name make more sense.

I liked Angel Falls. :)

Or in DQ6, Pastor Bedthyme.

Does anyone know why the Torneko no Daibouken games on GBA are so expensive? I want to buy a copy of 3 for GBA but it seems very pricey even for cart only. I'm used to JPN Dragon Quest games being crazy cheap.

Is it just that it was a tiny print run? Or is it strangely still popular today?

Jucksalbe

Banned
A bit strange they mention that as a new feature, but I guess they didn't research that properly and figured since it was "new" in DQ4, it's probably the same in DQ5.

Top Bottom