• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Added a quick overview for which version was released in which region for all of the mainline titles in the OP. I hope I didn't forget any releases.
I should redo the writeups for those titles, since they mostly are just that same information and aren't exactly well written. I'd love to make them more about the games.

Added a quick overview for which version was released in which region for all of the mainline titles in the OP. I hope I didn't forget any releases.
I should redo the writeups for those titles, since they mostly are just that same information and aren't exactly well written. I'd love to make them more about the games.
The youtube video for the DQ5 song in the OP was removed because of a copyright claim also.

Psxphile

They're promising part chat as a new feature this time around, I thought only 4 was missing it on DS?

5 had it on DS.

A bit strange they mention that as a new feature, but I guess they didn't research that properly and figured since it was "new" in DQ4, it's probably the same in DQ5.
I want to say that maybe they meant in the sense that it wasn't in previous versions of DQ5 (before the DS remake, which this is a port of) but I'm pretty sure the PS2 version added Party chat first. And then I want to follow up with maybe they're only counting versions released in the west, but that can't be it because the DS version was the first time we saw it out here.

It's a mystery.

This guy: http://www.speedrunslive.com/#!/Highspirits is currently 13 hours into a 17+ hour speed run of Dragon Warrior 7.

FWIW I watched the final 3 hours. He set a new WR with 16:17 I believe with the timer stopping after dealing the finishing blow to the final boss. Probably the best two moments of those final 3 hours were his excitement over getting a second Sorrow Shield (cursed but has high defense and spreads damage taken to allies) and when he successfully Licked the final boss. He's planning on doing another DQ7 run possibly on Wednesday before moving on to casual DQ8 play (and eventually DQ8 runs). I believe he said his goal is to run each of the first 9 DQ games before the year is out.

Twitch Vod for the whole run: http://www.twitch.tv/highspirits/c/5975282

Jucksalbe

Banned
Still trying to improve the OP a little. How do you guys like this graphic compared to what's currently in the OP (for DQ1)?

eKQgI6F.png

Jucksalbe

Banned
Europe never got an official version of DQ1 until the recent mobile editions? Huh.

That's true for all of the first three DQ games. The first mainline game we got was Dragon Quest VIII, that means we got our first DQ game 17 years after the US. Dragon Quest VII still wasn't released here at all.

Jawmuncher

I'm playing DQ1 on mobile right now.
It's not bad but I'm at a loss as to why this exploded in popularity in Japan. Was it the first game or the sequels where things really kicked off?

It's interesting how the game is in portrait mode because of Japan preference on trains. But the lack of being able to use custom music Is horrible. Loved doing this on FF mobile while grinding but I can't here so I feel like I'm wasting time when I grind.

Cheerilee

It's not bad but I'm at a loss as to why this exploded in popularity in Japan. Was it the first game or the sequels where things really kicked off?

The first game was so big, it inspired Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star (which hit around the time DQ2 did).

There was basically nothing like it when it came out. Computer RPGs like Wizardry existed, but Dragon Quest was more inviting and accessible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Funny thing is the original game is actually really really small compared to even the first sequel. The world seemed big back then but now it's tiny in relation. But it was one of the first RPGs. And back then it felt epic.

It's interesting how the game is in portrait mode because of Japan preference on trains. But the lack of being able to use custom music Is horrible. Loved doing this on FF mobile while grinding but I can't here so I feel like I'm wasting time when I grind.

Screw custom musIc. Dragon quest music is god tier.

In any case, I don't think dq mania really hit too hard unail dq3. Dq1 and 2 did really well but 3 sent people into a frenzy. It is also the first dq that really nailed the tone.

Aeana

DQ3 is the game that caused people to go nuts when it released, which means that it was in response to prior games. Obviously, they had yet to play 3 to know what it was even like.

Jawmuncher

I see. Thanks for the info all. I plan on going through the series so long as Square Enix keeps releasing them on iOS. Though I won't be playing DQ8 that way. 9 I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Also as for the music I like it, but when grinding I hear about the first few tones of the battle theme and then I already beat the creature. So it kind of wears like in any jrpg I have played when I need to do this. When the battle is long I love it though. Will definitley get Dq the arrhythmic if it comes over.

Also what are we looking at for DQ heroes? No chance in hell or is it a possibility?

Cheerilee

Why are they missing data for DWM1? I was under the impression that it was one of the more successful international releases.

And DW1 while we're at it.

DW1 was published by Nintendo of America, not Enix, which is part of why the leftover copies were given away as subscriber bonuses for Nintendo Power.

DWM1 was published by Eidos.

Enix America 1.0 published (of the games on that list) DQ2 (NES), DQ3 (only the NES version), and DQ4 (NES).

Enix America 2.0 published (chronologically, after Eidos published DWM1) DQ1&2 (GB), DQM2 (GB), DQ3 (only the GB version), and DQ7 (PS).

So...characters set to follow tactics seem to respond to things they couldn't have known at the command input stage, eg if a character is hurt badly they can heal the character within the turn.

But if I command one character to heal someone fully, and there are more characters that need healing, an AI character might heal the one I already healed?

Seems like Dragon Quest IV DS got a reprint for anyone interested. I'm not sure of where to find it in the US, but VideoGamesPlus has it for a semi-reasonable price CDN in Canada (thanks to currency exchange I now consider $50 for new DS game reasonable :( ).

I'll quote myself from a while ago for why this is significant:

Dragon Quest IV DS is much harder to find (at a reasonable price) than V. I went looking late last year and buying a new copy of Dragon Quest IV for under $50 was basically impossible. I settled for a CIB for $45 but still.

Looking at PriceCharting for some reason loose DQ5 is going for more but believe me getting a proper copy is much much harder for 4.

They also seem to have reprints of Dragon Quest V and other DS Square Enix RPGs.

Playing DQV (DS, or rather Android), I just got the
magma staff and the zenithian helm
, approximately how much longer is the game? Is 5-7 hours way off? I don't know if How Long To Beat is a good guide to its length for me as I grinded for a while.

Aeana

Playing DQV (DS, or rather Android), I just got the
magma staff and the zenithian helm
, approximately how much longer is the game? Is 5-7 hours way off? I don't know if How Long To Beat is a good guide to its length for me as I grinded for a while.

I don't think it'll even take that long to finish the game from where you are, but my DQ5 games are usually in the 18 hour total range.

Jawmuncher

I'm getting my ass beat in DQ1.
Level 12 trying to get the armor so I can walk in poison. Everything is beating me, and the only thing I haven't bought is magic armor. Should I grind for that as well? Even though I'm about to get another armor?

Man it feels like I've already done more grinding than in FF1.

Aeana

DQ1 is all about grinding. That's pretty much the game. You have your goal at the start, and you need to get strong enough to accomplish it. The rest of the series is not like that at all, but the first one definitely is.

terrisus

Basically any time I got to a new town, I hung out right around there grinding stuff until I could buy all the upgraded stuff from that town.

Look at them as little mini-goals.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm getting my ass beat in DQ1.
Level 12 trying to get the armor so I can walk in poison. Everything is beating me, and the only thing I haven't bought is magic armor. Should I grind for that as well? Even though I'm about to get another armor?

Man it feels like I've already done more grinding than in FF1.
DQ1 is all about grinding. That's pretty much the game. You have your goal at the start, and you need to get strong enough to accomplish it. The rest of the series is not like that at all, but the first one definitely is.
You haven't lived until you grind all the way to level 30 for a couple hours in the basement of Charlock castle less than a hundred feet from the Dragon Lord's throne room while carrying the Princess in your hands because you are saving time and didn't feel like dropping her off in Tantegel.

Jawmuncher

Well good to know that the other DQs aren't grind like this. Now it irks me that I can't listen to some music while I grind on my phone. Oh well. Gotta get this done so I can get to the others. Reminds me of FF3. That game was a grind fest for me compared to the others.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Now it irks me that I can't listen to some music while I grind on my phone. Oh well.
This pisses me off. When I want to listen to my music, I want to listen to MY MUSIC. That's what the silent switch is for. Switch it to vibrate and the music turns off. This works fine and is how it is supposed to work, but as soon as you switch back to the app it turns my music off again. God dammit, SquEnix. This is not how it is supposed to work. Fix this! I find myself not even wanting to play the game because I can't listen to my own stuff.

Just to add in case Android owners are put off buying it over that, I can listen to my own music with the Android version of DQ1.

The game has settings to turn the in-game music or sound effects off as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just to add in case Android owners are put off buying it over that, I can listen to my own music with the Android version of DQ1.

The game has settings to turn the in-game music or sound effects off as well.
Yeah, I remember DQ1 allowed you to mute the music and play your own with the vibrate switch. So when I got 2 and tried to do the same thing it saddened and disappointed me that they fucked it up. It even seems like a bug that they just haven't bothered to fix. Has anyone reported it? Does it do it in 3, 4 and 5? (Wait, is 5 out?) I don't even remember if it does it in 8 either. I only tried it with 1 and 2.

Yeah, I remember DQ1 allowed you to mute the music and play your own with the vibrate switch. So when I got 2 and tried to do the same thing it saddened and disappointed me that they fucked it up. It even seems like a bug that they just haven't bothered to fix. Has anyone reported it? Does it do it in 3, 4 and 5? (Wait, is 5 out?) I don't even remember if it does it in 8 either. I only tried it with 1 and 2.
I have just tested them all on Android. Also, DQ5 was released a month ago outside of Japan.

On Android at least, they all allow audio you're playing to continue without doing anything special. DQ1,2,3 all have Off settings for the game's music and sound effects separately. DQ4 and 5, though, just allow the game's audio to be quiet but not silent. DQ8 doesn't have audio settings that I can see.

Jawmuncher

I have just tested them all on Android. Also, DQ5 was released a month ago outside of Japan.

On Android at least, they all allow audio you're playing to continue without doing anything special. DQ1,2,3 all have Off settings for the game's music and sound effects separately. DQ4 and 5, though, just allow the game's audio to be quiet but not silent. DQ8 doesn't have audio settings that I can see.

You can turn off the Audio and Sound Effects on ios but for some reason when you go back to the game it still turns it off. It's more than likely just a conflicting line of code.

------
This is my hell. Level 14 Still getting my ass beat. Someday I'm gonna get you Aberrant Knight. Maybe I should just grind to level 20 or something. Guy hits me for 30 so healing and hitting isn't doing anything. This is where a custom soundtrack on iOS would be fantastic since I wouldn't mind then.
image83k5b.jpg

EDIT: I finally beat him. Who would have thought just one level would make all the difference.

This is my hell. Level 14 Still getting my ass beat. Someday I'm gonna get you Aberrant Knight. Maybe I should just grind to level 20 or something. Guy hits me for 30 so healing and hitting isn't doing anything. This is where a custom soundtrack on iOS would be fantastic since I wouldn't mind then.
image83k5b.jpg

EDIT: I finally beat him. Who would have thought just one level would make all the difference.

Yikes that translation...

I always left him for as late in the game as possible, pretty much just before going into the Dragonlord's castle.

Aeana

It's easily done much lower. You can beat him at level 20-21 provided you make smart decisions in battle. The final boss does very predictable things.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I was avoiding Dragon Quest games until now, mostly because I didn't like the first person battle system as a kid, but after I got aboard the hype train for DQH, I've decided to give the series a fair shake.

I'm currently 2 hours in DQ1 and I have to say it's not half bad!

Jawmuncher

It's easily done much lower. You can beat him at level 20-21 provided you make smart decisions in battle. The final boss does very predictable things.
I did it. Was level 20 got a critical hit on the first form and the second form was easy. Now I can move onto 2. Was a fun little game.
I was avoiding Dragon Quest games until now, mostly because I didn't like the first person battle system as a kid, but after I got aboard the hype train for DQH, I've decided to give the series a fair shake.

I'm currently 2 hours in DQ1 and I have to say it's not half bad!
While it has a bit of grinding at the end of it all I enjoyed it and it was satisfied. Can't wait to see the others. Funny enough I'm playing these because of DQH as well. Figure by the time all is said and done it'll be announced for the west or imports will be cheap enoughz

You guys that are playing the series from the beginning are definitely in a good position. Its always nice to play series from the start and see how things change as it moves along.

Meanwhile I've still yet to beat Dragon Quest II or III. I may do that before I finally try VII. I hate to say it but I was still holding off from trying VII despite knowing that a localization of the 3DS version is a lost cause.

Top Bottom