• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Jawmuncher

Don't count on that either. Last word on DQVII for mobile was that the size of the game made a conversion difficult. We'll have to wait and see on all fronts.

The hell. We have DQ8 on iOS. That's just nuts the game is that much of a beast with it's size.

Jawmuncher

Glad about the Dragon Quest Heroes coming to the west. I will be buying that day 1 to support the franchise here.

As for DQ7 wonder what wil happen. Since I know they said at one point they wanted to port 1-8 on iOS. Would be a shame to have 1-6 and then jumped to 8. Especially with no 3DS version over here.

Refyref

DQ Heroes getting localized is nice, and while I understand it's vastly cheaper to localize that than DQ 7 or 10, I'm still deeply disappointed that this is coming over before them. At least localize DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime 2 too or something. That probably isn't even as big as the Omega-Force DQ Heroes.

The iOS app size limit was recently raised, so they might be able to do it now.

I'm still not so sure why the app size limit would be a factor here. It might have a lot of text, but that doesn't actually take that much disk space. DQ8 is a bigger game in terms of file size, and they already released that.

The iOS app size limit was recently raised, so they might be able to do it now.

I assume when they said size of the game they didn't mean the size in terms of physical storage space, but rather the scope of what it would take to localize the game.

Dragon Quest 8 for example was 1.39 Gigabytes. The Infinity Blade games are all around 2 GB as well.

Aeana

I assume when they said size of the game they didn't mean the size in terms of physical storage space, but rather the scope of what it would take to localize the game.

Dragon Quest 8 for example was 1.39 Gigabytes. The Infinity Blade games are all around 2 GB as well.

DQ7 isn't as big of a game as it is said to be, anyway. It's really weird to me that it's continually perpetuated. Games with more text are translated all the time. Games with voice. At this point, it just comes off as a weak excuse. DQ7 is a long game, but the length is in number of scenarios, not volume of text. Each place you visit has a handful of NPCs whose dialog changes at most twice, usually only once (after you solve the problem in the area). And it's DQ dialog, so very terse.

randomkid

DQ7 isn't as big of a game as it is said to be, anyway. It's really weird to me that it's continually perpetuated. Games with more text are translated all the time. Games with voice. At this point, it just comes off as a weak excuse. DQ7 is a long game, but the length is in number of scenarios, not volume of text. Each place you visit has a handful of NPCs whose dialog changes at most twice, usually only once (after you solve the problem in the area). And it's DQ dialog, so very terse.

Thank you for pointing this out. I've actually always felt this way and really don't remember there being an outlandish amount of text in the game compared to many other more wordy RPGs that get released regularly. I think it has to do with that misleading "script" photo that always gets posted.

I do sometimes get the impression from Dragon Quest 7 fans that the amount of dialogue is one of the largest outside of the Trails games. You're basically saying that that's an exaggeration?

Refyref

I think it's mostly a self-defense mechanism for DQ fans in order to rationalize to themselves why SE isn't bringing it over. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's certainly larger than the other DQ games. Hard to tell how it compares to other games, I don't think there are actual numbers for this, only that misleading image.

I think that old image of the binders full of design docs that got perpetuated as being just the script (it was all the design info) helped perpetuate this myth.

It would be interesting to get a complete text dump of the game just to see how long it actually is. There are only a few really long cut scene sequences that I can remember (with lots of text) but I agree that a what characters say takes no more than about 2 text boxes on average.

This:

playstation-57076-31407586689.jpg

is about as much text as there is in one text box at a time.

Figured this would be the best thread to ask this question in, but as far as each game in the series...well many of them have received remakes and re-releases. I recently played Dragon Quest 1 on my iPhone, and while it was cool experiencing it after all these years, and it seemed like a good version of the game, playing on a phone just was such a hassle for me.

As I keep playing more of the games, i was wondering what the alternatives besides mobile are. For each game, what are the best versions available for each entry in the series? Like which platform version is considered the best for each?

Jucksalbe

Banned
As I keep playing more of the games, i was wondering what the alternatives besides mobile are. For each game, what are the best versions available for each entry in the series? Like which platform version is considered the best for each?

There's an overview in the OP. ;)
Though, I don't think I always mentioned the "best" version for each title. It's not often completely clear anyway, especially since with many versions you'll have to deal with fan translations.

Figured this would be the best thread to ask this question in, but as far as each game in the series...well many of them have received remakes and re-releases. I recently played Dragon Quest 1 on my iPhone, and while it was cool experiencing it after all these years, and it seemed like a good version of the game, playing on a phone just was such a hassle for me.

I actually like the mobile versions of 1-3, there are a lot of conveniences that aren't in other versions.

I played 4-6 on DS and felt the same way, I think being able to stop at any point without needing to go to a save point is a big deal for me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
man playing dh heroes has me wanting to dig out my ps2 version of dq8 and go through it again ( ^∀^) same with all the ds remakes

I actually like the mobile versions of 1-3, there are a lot of conveniences that aren't in other versions.

I played 4-6 on DS and felt the same way, I think being able to stop at any point without needing to go to a save point is a big deal for me.

I mean, i actually really liked the presentation and the difficulty (or lack thereof) in the first dragon quest on iOS, it's just these damn touch controls, and the fact that it's only formatted to be held vertically. Just doesn't feel comfortable.

I'm gonna probably play the DS versions of 4, 5 and 6, but as far as 2 and 3 go, I wish I could find an alternative then on my phone...something with better controls, but still good presentation.

I mean, i actually really liked the presentation and the difficulty (or lack thereof) in the first dragon quest on iOS, it's just these damn touch controls, and the fact that it's only formatted to be held vertically. Just doesn't feel comfortable.

I'm gonna probably play the DS versions of 4, 5 and 6, but as far as 2 and 3 go, I wish I could find an alternative then on my phone...something with better controls, but still good presentation.
The Super Famicom and GBC versions of 1, 2, and 3 are also very good. Just be aware that 1+2 GBC have some text length limitations that make the translation (item/monster names) a bit pinched.

I played them one handed while walking my dog and it worked pretty well for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Would you guys say that the best way to play Dragon Quest 1-3 would be mobile? I need to get a new phone, I'm sick of having a Windows phone with no apps or games to play when I'm waiting somewhere or in the passenger seat on a long drive. I'm also considering buying the DS DQ games, as well... Maybe if Heroes sells well, we'll get VII. Here's to hoping.

Cheerilee

Would you guys say that the best way to play Dragon Quest 1-3 would be mobile? I need to get a new phone, I'm sick of having a Windows phone with no apps or games to play when I'm waiting somewhere or in the passenger seat on a long drive. I'm also considering buying the DS DQ games, as well... Maybe if Heroes sells well, we'll get VII. Here's to hoping.

NES has a certain nostalgic appeal.
Super Famicom is the best version, but it's only English option is a fan-translation.
GameBoy Color is a graphics and sound downgrade from the SFC version.
Mobile is a control downgrade from the SFC version.

If you think you can handle touchscreen controls, then the mobile version should be acceptable, but it's not the "best" version. Maybe if you decide to get a new phone, try the first DQ and see if you like it? But I wouldn't get a new phone specifically for a game you're not sure you'll like.

Bear in mind, you don't really need to play DQ 1-3 to appreciate DQ 4-6 on the DS. The story connections between DQ games are fairly minor (1-3 have the strongest bond), and 1-3 and 4-6 form two entirely unrelated trilogies.

NES has a certain nostalgic appeal.
Super Famicom is the best version, but it's only English option is a fan-translation.
GameBoy Color is a graphics and sound downgrade from the SFC version.
Mobile is a control downgrade from the SFC version.

If you think you can handle touchscreen controls, then the mobile version should be acceptable, but it's not the "best" version. Maybe if you decide to get a new phone, try the first DQ and see if you like it? But I wouldn't get a new phone specifically for a game you're not sure you'll like.

Bear in mind, you don't really need to play DQ 1-3 to appreciate DQ 4-6 on the DS. The story connections between DQ games are fairly minor (1-3 have the strongest bond), and 1-3 and 4-6 form two entirely unrelated trilogies.

Haha, not buying a new phone just to play Dragon Quest! I have the first game on NES, I just don't really have much space for my NES, nor do I have a CRT, so it looks terrible on my TV. I tried the fan-translated SNES version, but there were some weird sound bugs that were driving me absolutely insane. I just figured it'd be fun to have DQ on the go. Does VIII still run terribly on pretty much every phone, by the way?

Aeana

Oh, I was wondering if this would be possible with the Gateway stuff out there these days. I just never got around to looking into it. Glad it seems to be, and glad it also seems to have a proportional font already.

I think it already had support for latin text; things are a lot easier these days than trying to translate a Super Famicom game.

I got as far as decrypting the game content a couple weeks ago (was really easy) and realizing that a decent amount of stuff was just stored as plaintext in easily changeable files but I didn't take it any further.

Aeana

There's still games out there that don't have proportional fonts, though, so it's always nice to see when they do. Sometimes when they do, they're not very pretty. My fan translation for DQ10 was actually stunted by an issue where the font widths were too narrow. (._. )

I'd love to help with this project, but I tend to get into very lengthy arguments with Dragon Quest fans about localization, especially names... I'm just not up for that anymore. Tired of it.

There's still games out there that don't have proportional fonts, though, so it's always nice to see when they do. Sometimes when they do, they're not very pretty. My fan translation for DQ10 was actually stunted by an issue where the font widths were too narrow. (._. )

I'd love to help with this project, but I tend to get into very lengthy arguments with Dragon Quest fans about localization, especially names... I'm just not up for that anymore. Tired of it.

Well that sucks. You shouldn't let dumb fan communities get to you, or maybe even listen to them at all. They're always toxic.

I wouldn't actually care what version of spell names a DQ7 translation uses, I mostly just want to be able to find stuff easier. Trial and error sucks, looking up on a guide is OK, but in my last playthrough I mostly just tried to find sap, bikill, surround, and the odd physical skill stuck to those (healing spells were easier since they're all variants of ホイミ). Town names and character names mostly exactly matched the PS1 translation at least.

You mean like how this guy shows a Cypress stick as Chikori stick or whatever?

Aeana

You mean like how this guy shows a Cypress stick as Chikori stick or whatever?

Hinoki stick, which is the Jaanese name. That just seems like lack of familiarity. I wasn't talking about this guy. Basically, a lot of English Dragon Quest fans are absolutely in love with the Dragon Warrior spell names, which I hate. They also hate a lot of things about the new translations that I think are very good. I have my grievances with name choices for a lot of locations and character names in the more recent DQ translations, but I am generally very fond of what they've done. Spell names, in particular, are much more in line with the spirit of the Japanese, which I really appreciate. We just don't agree at all on a direction for DQ translations. I was working on a DQ10 translation and had several people fighting me every step of the way. They're totally 100% free to feel however they want to feel and do whatever they wish with their work, I just have a different idea of what I'd like to see in the games.

AmyS

Welp, taking a break from AAA games on modern consoles to pick up where I left off in DQIV Chapters of the Chosen, Chapter 4.

Was planning to finish these...

eOtVK0c.jpg

...before the weather gets really nice here in Chicagoland but I'll be satisfied if I just complete IV.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Sick of getting Pun-ished?

Hinoki stick, which is the Jaanese name. That just seems like lack of familiarity. I wasn't talking about this guy. Basically, a lot of English Dragon Quest fans are absolutely in love with the Dragon Warrior spell names, which I hate. They also hate a lot of things about the new translations that I think are very good. I have my grievances with name choices for a lot of locations and character names in the more recent DQ translations, but I am generally very fond of what they've done. Spell names, in particular, are much more in line with the spirit of the Japanese, which I really appreciate. We just don't agree at all on a direction for DQ translations. I was working on a DQ10 translation and had several people fighting me every step of the way. They're totally 100% free to feel however they want to feel and do whatever they wish with their work, I just have a different idea of what I'd like to see in the games.

I've been a fan of the dq since the mid 90s. I didn't care for the spell names at first but I've always at least respected them due to the attempt to match the tone of the Japanese names.

In terms of localizations though, I think the only one they got right was dq8 and dqvi to a degreee. Rocket Slime's usage of puns was okay, but I hate that every game since has been closer to that than dqviii. What they did to dqiv was unacceptable. They basically ruined one of my favorite games in the series with their bullshit.

This is kind of surprising to read, considering that the modern spell names have been around for almost 10 years. You would kind of think that between new blood for the series and years of this being the current trend, that sticking with the modern spell names would be at least more acceptable, especially if what you say about the modern names being more accurate is true.

...That's a good question though, just how much new blood is there for this series? It feels like there's a lot more new people to have played the games with the DS Zenethian releases and people going back to playing DQ8 (and maybe original 8 players if 10 years ago counts as new). And of course the mobile ports have given the games a bit a wider potential audience. But I suppose none of that translates to people on the fan scene who are wanting to localize stuff.

This is kind of surprising to read, considering that the modern spell names have been around for almost 10 years. You would kind of think that between new blood for the series and years of this being the current trend, that sticking with the modern spell names would be at least more acceptable, especially if what you say about the modern names being more accurate is true.

...That's a good question though, just how much new blood is there for this series? It feels like there's a lot more new people to have played the games with the DS Zenethian releases and people going back to playing DQ8 (and maybe original 8 players if 10 years ago counts as new). And of course the mobile ports have given the games a bit a wider potential audience. But I suppose none of that translates to people on the fan scene who are wanting to localize stuff.

Mostly "new" fans aren't around much anymore. Most of the people that visit the fansites, which amount to basically just Dragons Den these days, are old guard fans that have been around since the late 90s.

Height of the DQ fan community was either the late 90s during the Enix forum days or from 2005 to 2008 during the Slime Knights era. The community hasn't really recovered from that.

Kind of hard to get new fans, you kind of have to keep releasing games.

Cheerilee

I kind of think that Dragon Warrior 1-4 on the NES was the "most important" Dragon Quest has ever been in America, because of the "big fish, small pond" effect. Dragon Warrior 1-4 were basically like the Final Fantasy 7 of their era.

I think Enix America steadily matured and toned down the oddities of their translations, but then Enix Japan pulled the rug out from under their American fans in the SNES era, and the fans were left to fend for themselves through fan translations. I remember there being a lot of discussions about whether DQ's fan translations should respect the Japanese originals (as was the trend in fan translations), or if "Dragon Warrior" (and all it's quirks) better represented DQ's neglected fans.

Then in the PSX era, Enix America came back to life, and they asked us to move closer to the Japanese originals, and give up "Erdrick" (as an example) in favor of "Loto" (while still being called Dragon Warrior). And I remember people grudgingly accepting, because if you're going to make a change, bringing it around closer to the Japanese original is probably for the best. Then Enix Japan killed Enix America again for not having a big enough impact.

Dragon Quest 8 had the best chance to turn things around in America, because they finally got their hands on the "Dragon Quest" name, and Square-Enix America had a clean slate for the translation, and it was a big game on the popular PS2 and it had a big marketing push and money for voice acting... but then DQ9 stepped down to handhelds and changed things like "Shrine of Dharma" to "Alltrades Abbey" just to accomodate a pun, and the ports on the DS saw falling sales while Square-Enix America turned the voice accents of DQ8 into a hard-to-read mess in DQ4DS. And then Enix Japan killed the series again.

Now Square-Enix America is releasing Dragon Quest on cell phones, and hey, forget Loto, we're bringing back Erdrick!

There's just too many mixed messages and failed starts and cancelled series in Dragon Quest in America. If Enix Japan had just let Enix America keep doing their job in the SNES era, I'm sure we'd all be in a better place today.

Aeana

Enix USA skipped DQ5 and was working on DQ6, so even then I don't think things would've been peachy! But I've always agreed that some sort of Dragon Quest presence in the SNES era would've helped western gamers hang onto the series's consciousness.

Top Bottom