• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Cheerilee

Enix USA skipped DQ5 and was working on DQ6, so even then I don't think things would've been peachy! But I've always agreed that some sort of Dragon Quest presence in the SNES era would've helped western gamers hang onto the series's consciousness.

And (if my flow of thought wasn't clear enough) Enix America was steadily "normalizing" thought the NES, SNES and even PSX eras, so if "Dragon Warrior" had a steadier line through history, I think people probably wouldn't be so strongly attached to the Dragon Warrior-isms of the NES era.

I suppose it's true that while having the games available on mobile is a good thing for folks wanting to re-experience them or people who heard good things but never got around to playing them on their original consoles, it's not exactly going to significantly grow the fandom. And it is kind of a shame that Dragon's Den is pretty much the only major hub for the fandom, though tbh jRPGs having only one big hub is pretty common for the non Final Fantasys and Pokemon in the world.

There's definitely something to be said about how the brands been treated very inconsistently in the west, when you compare it to things like Final Fantasy or SMT, which have pretty consistently moved from their origins to where they are today without much slowdown. It makes it easier for the brand to evolve and to paint a narrative of how it was handled, which is helpful for the fans to find their place in it all.

I do still feel like there is a sizable number of people who were first introduced to the games with the DS Zenethian games and especially DQIX, which shouldn't be forgotten when looking at the fandom as a whole. The biggest flaw with that though is that Square-Enix probably did the most forgetting by not following up by releasing ANY of many non-mobile releases of the past few years. I wonder whose going to be the biggest share of players for Dragon Quest Heroes.

I kind of think that Dragon Warrior 1-4 on the NES was the "most important" Dragon Quest has ever been in America, because of the "big fish, small pond" effect. Dragon Warrior 1-4 were basically like the Final Fantasy 7 of their era.

I think Enix America steadily matured and toned down the oddities of their translations, but then Enix Japan pulled the rug out from under their American fans in the SNES era, and the fans were left to fend for themselves through fan translations. I remember there being a lot of discussions about whether DQ's fan translations should respect the Japanese originals (as was the trend in fan translations), or if "Dragon Warrior" (and all it's quirks) better represented DQ's neglected fans.

Then in the PSX era, Enix America came back to life, and they asked us to move closer to the Japanese originals, and give up "Erdrick" (as an example) in favor of "Loto" (while still being called Dragon Warrior). And I remember people grudgingly accepting, because if you're going to make a change, bringing it around closer to the Japanese original is probably for the best. Then Enix Japan killed Enix America again for not having a big enough impact.

Dragon Quest 8 had the best chance to turn things around in America, because they finally got their hands on the "Dragon Quest" name, and Square-Enix America had a clean slate for the translation, and it was a big game on the popular PS2 and it had a big marketing push and money for voice acting... but then DQ9 stepped down to handhelds and changed things like "Shrine of Dharma" to "Alltrades Abbey" just to accomodate a pun, and the ports on the DS saw falling sales while Square-Enix America turned the voice accents of DQ8 into a hard-to-read mess in DQ4DS. And then Enix Japan killed the series again.

Now Square-Enix America is releasing Dragon Quest on cell phones, and hey, forget Loto, we're bringing back Erdrick!

There's just too many mixed messages and failed starts and cancelled series in Dragon Quest in America. If Enix Japan had just let Enix America keep doing their job in the SNES era, I'm sure we'd all be in a better place today.

Loto vs Erdrick seemed like a GBC limitation to me. Most names and spells and such were cut down in DW1+2 because of that. I think a lot of the other quirks of that era (what you call the PSX era but is probably more accurately the GBC era with a bit of PSX tacked on) seemed to be because of changes that Eidos made when translating Dragon Warrior Monsters, which brought in a lot of new fans including me.

As far as translation style I really don't know that I care any more. Yeah some of the accents were weird in DQ4 (I don't really agree that they were for lack of voice acting) but ye olde style translation in DW1 was just as bad and in both cases as things iterated they got better.

Refyref

I really love the accents in the DS games, while I find that the olden style used in the earlier games (or the mobile ports of them) to be pretty annoying. I know that it's the exact opposite for some people, but I actually like all the wordplay/puns of the recent-ish localizations.

I actually really like most of the puns in the DQ games too. Although IIRC Aeana mentioned at least one instance where a dramatic moment was ruined by a pun, which doesn't sound like something I'd rather have in a localization.

Gloam

I like the spell names in the new translations a lot more than in the DW games. I'll also echo what others have said about the puns sometimes getting in the way of the emotional elements of the stories. I feel as if the good puns would hit home a lot better if they weren't put alongside so many groaners. I'm also in favour of accents, I really liked DQIV's use of Irish and Scottish slang, found it to be charming.

I like the spell names in the new translations a lot more than in the DW games. I'll also echo what others have said about the puns sometimes getting in the way of the emotional elements of the stories. I feel as if the good puns would hit home a lot better if they weren't put alongside so many groaners. I'm also in favour of accents, I really liked DQIV's use of Irish and Scottish slang, found it to be charming.

I've actually recently noticed that I've grown to use puns a lot more over the past few years, and the only correlation I can think of is me playing the DS Dragon Quests.

tumblr_inline_mqkrld2w7P1qz4rgp.jpg

I like the playfulness of the translations.

eg: Pastor Bedthyme. <3

I googled this name, and an Aeana shows up as the first hit and I show up as the second.

I spent some time playing the Famicom version of Dragon Quest 1 last night. I really forgot just how brutal that game is. It's kinda fun in a "I wonder how far I can get" sort of way though.

After that I tried playing a bit of the Super Famicom version just for comparison. Sooooooooo much easier. I was killing Drakeys in one hit right out of the gate where they were slaughtering me in the Famicom version.

Just took a survey for Square Enix where they were trying to get some ideas of what their fanbase plays. Lots of questions about MoBA games, F2P games, F2P shooters but also about classic SE franchises (Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Legacy of Kain).

The final two questions were, "What game do you most want Square Enix to make" and "any other information you would like us to know?".

I told them to localize Dragon Quest 7 3DS. I also listed DQ as my favorite franchise of theirs.

I did my part guys :(

norm9

Been playing some DQIX. I'll play it intensely for a few days and get through some of the story and then set it down for a month or two. Still love it though and am glad I downloaded all those extra quests/maps before the online shut down.

DQIX is probably my favorite between the ones I've played which are I, II, III, IV, V, and VIII.

Wazzy

Banned
I just bought DQ I on my Tab S. I'll finally get to play the first III. Now just give me VII on psn or 3DS version and I'll have played 90% of the mainline games.

Aeana

First time playing the series which use has the puff puff service in the first game? Or is an obscure joke?

It's a gag that's referenced in some way or another in every game because Akira Toriyama is an idiot. It's a girl rubbing her boobs all over someone's face.

Been playing some DQIX. I'll play it intensely for a few days and get through some of the story and then set it down for a month or two. Still love it though and am glad I downloaded all those extra quests/maps before the online shut down.

DQIX is probably my favorite between the ones I've played which are I, II, III, IV, V, and VIII.

I need to send my copy of IX off to someone to get all those extra quests and such. :\

I just bought DQ I on my Tab S. I'll finally get to play the first III. Now just give me VII on psn or 3DS version and I'll have played 90% of the mainline games.

I've thought about getting the first few games on my phone, but I might just buy a GBA and get the GBC versions of the games. I really do hope that VII 3DS gets translated, ugh. Still waiting on some news for Theatrhythm as well.

2, 3, and 4 are on sale on the AppStore, not sure how long

First time sale for 3
Woot, glad I randomly checked this thread. Just bought II & III. (Already had IV.)

Still don't have the first one yet. It's never gone on sale to my knowledge, but I wonder if it will soon. I'd like to have all 4 on my phone.

Wazzy

Banned
phone, but I might just buy a GBA and get the GBC versions of the games. I really do hope that VII 3DS gets translated, ugh. Still waiting on some news for Theatrhythm as well.
I'm liking the mobile version so far even if It's a little bit confusing compared to all the other games. I'm hoping I get party members or if these earlier ones are just playing as the Hero.

Woot, glad I randomly checked this thread. Just bought II & III. (Already had IV.)

Still don't have the first one yet. It's never gone on sale to my knowledge, but I wonder if it will soon. I'd like to have all 4 on my phone.

Unless it went down later today, 2 and 3 are more than 1 since they all seemed to be $3ish so it shouldn't be too bad to pick it up!

Unless it went down later today, 2 and 3 are more than 1 since they all seemed to be $3ish so it shouldn't be too bad to pick it up!
Yeah, I just checked a site that tracks prices. The first game has never gotten a price drop since its release. You'd think they'd do one along with the other 3 games.

I'm sure I'll pick it up soon regardless to complete the group. :)

I'm liking the mobile version so far even if It's a little bit confusing compared to all the other games. I'm hoping I get party members or if these earlier ones are just playing as the Hero.

In the first game, you don't have any party members. All battles are one on one. You get companions in II, though. :)

hazukash

Playing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 right now. My first time. It feels weird playing this after 2, but since I played 2 at launch, my memories about it are already pretty much gone by now. Joker 1 still feels kind of fresh.

Playing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 right now. My first time. It feels weird playing this after 2, but since I played 2 at launch, my memories about it are already pretty much gone by now. Joker 1 still feels kind of fresh.

If you have some Japanese skills you should check out the 3DS DQM games. They're very DQMJ2 derived and are a nice trip down memory lane if you played the GBC games.

2, 3, and 4 are on sale on the AppStore, not sure how long

First time sale for 3

thanks for the heads up! I picked up DQIV since it's the only version with party chat. I just finished DQV so i guess i'm going a bit backwards now but, hey, i look forward to filling my wagon up one more time!

hazukash

I wish. I have intermediate Japanese skills, but no Japanese 3DS so that is impossible. :/ I'm one of those people filling in Square-Enix surveys multiple times asking for a DQ7/Terry's Wonderland localization. I might end up buying a used Japanese 3DS if this goes on.

I wish. I have intermediate Japanese skills, but no Japanese 3DS so that is impossible. :/ I'm one of those people filling in Square-Enix surveys multiple times asking for a DQ7/Terry's Wonderland localization. I might end up buying a used Japanese 3DS if this goes on.

If I had Japanese knowledge that made me feel confident in playing JRPGs, I'd totally go for it. It seems like a worthwhile investment to play certain 3ds/ds games that you couldn't otherwise.

Reddaye

Banned
So, Gaf, it's story time (this is DQ related lol).

I don't typically like Japanese RPGs. I don't care much for the typical melodramatic stories, (what I consider) odd character designs, and overall it's a genre that has never really done it for me. I was weaned on computer role playing games and tend to prefer that style. As a youth I played a few Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, and a few others on Super Nintendo...but they never really clicked for me. So I just decided the genre wasn't for me. (Also played around with the GBC versions of I+II, and III of DQ...but not much). The only real exception has been the SMT/Persona series (mainline, and offshoot).

Fast forward to a few years ago and I hear people raving about Dragon Quest IX, and how it's a bit more Western influenced. So I picked it up and tried it out. Enjoyed it, but got bored fairly quickly and never finished it. In the process I picked up DQ 4, 5, 6 (with strategy guides), and a copy of DQ 8. However, after getting bored with IX I just chalked it up to me not enjoying the series enough to let it stick and kind of kicked myself for wasting the money. I set them aside and move on with life.

Move ahead a little further to the announcement of Dragon Quest Heroes by Omega Force and here I am again. I love Toriyama's art, it draws my attention so easily with it's colorful and likeable designs, and I'm a musou fan, so it caught my attention. Now I have the urge to dig out my copies of Dragon Quest to really give them a shot. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to the franchise by any means, but I can't say I'm any kind of a fan.

I pop in Dragon Quest 5 yesterday, and literally sunk seven hours into it within a day.

Now I feel like an idiot for not giving the series at large a better look back when I first started grabbing them up for DS.

The story is so enjoyable. The characters are so charming (even the monsters). The world is large and colorful. There's no angst or terrible melodrama. Sure, you get sad moments that are very touching...but this isn't Final Fantasy levels of cheese by any stretch. It's just good, simple story telling and I love it. Perhaps it's predictable, but it's just fun. Every town or city you come into has it's own little storyline.

I recently just got
Sabre
back and I was so thrilled when I first walked into that little village at night and saw him running away. Then figuring out what I needed to do to actually recruit him...beautiful touch.

What I'm trying to say is...I'm a fan now. This series just has too much charm. Excited to continue on with V and onward. Thankfully I kept the copies I bought.

Started replaying Dragon Warrior Monsters 2. This is the first time in probably a decade.

I wanted to play it again mostly so I would know what to do when I get around to playing the Dragon Quest Monsters 2 remake on 3DS (god I hope the scenarios are the same). I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the original game holds up though; there's still the awkward meat monster acquiring mechanic, but other than that it plays very well.

Anyone know if Theatrhythm Dragon Quest is worth picking up? I've never played a Theatrhythm game before but I really like Dragon Quest music.

I wasn't going to get it cause I thought 6000yen was a lot for that kind of game, but the price seems to have collapsed recently.

Jucksalbe

Banned
From what I've read it's supposedly pretty good. But I haven't played it, so I'm sure someone who has can give a little more details about it.

DQ Monsters 2 3DS was cheap on the jp eshop so I bought it a few days ago and...I am quite surprised by how good it is. I never played the GBC game and only played DQM1 3d (which I liked although it felt like a "little" game). I was expecting DQM2 to be in line with the first game which had randomly generated worlds/dungeons. But it rather feels like a mainline DQ game (with monsters) aimed at a younger audience. You visit other worlds, each of them has their own problems, own towns etc. Each world are pretty big and well crafted. There is a strong sense of exploration. And also a lot of surprises.

I was also expecting something in line with the first game technicaly speaking. But I was wrong again since this game looks way better (sreenshots don't do this game justice) : nice palette colors, great draw distance, everything is super fluid. You can take some screencap and I am using this function a lot. Monsters models look great and characters don't look as low poly as in DQ7. Also monsters now seem to be part of the world they live in, since they interact with it way more. It is not the best looking game on the system but it is really pretty, the prettiest 3DS DQ game imo.

The gameplay is excellent, as always.

The only downside for me is the music which sounds pretty "cheap" and kiddy, but that is part of the monsters series I guess...

I really recommand this game to every DQ lovers. Don't expect the amount of content and quality of a mainline entry (obviously the monsters series is more simple) but it is one fine game.

I ended up getting Theatrhythm. It's pretty good! I'm still unlocking modes but it seems like there's a good amount of stuff here to do, and the rhythm mechanically feels good.

Seems like they must have way over-shipped physical copies though, since he price I'm seeing is almost down to 1/3 the original and eshop price.

So, Gaf, it's story time (this is DQ related lol).

I don't typically like Japanese RPGs. I don't care much for the typical melodramatic stories, (what I consider) odd character designs, and overall it's a genre that has never really done it for me. I was weaned on computer role playing games and tend to prefer that style. As a youth I played a few Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, and a few others on Super Nintendo...but they never really clicked for me. So I just decided the genre wasn't for me. (Also played around with the GBC versions of I+II, and III of DQ...but not much). The only real exception has been the SMT/Persona series (mainline, and offshoot).

Fast forward to a few years ago and I hear people raving about Dragon Quest IX, and how it's a bit more Western influenced. So I picked it up and tried it out. Enjoyed it, but got bored fairly quickly and never finished it. In the process I picked up DQ 4, 5, 6 (with strategy guides), and a copy of DQ 8. However, after getting bored with IX I just chalked it up to me not enjoying the series enough to let it stick and kind of kicked myself for wasting the money. I set them aside and move on with life.

Move ahead a little further to the announcement of Dragon Quest Heroes by Omega Force and here I am again. I love Toriyama's art, it draws my attention so easily with it's colorful and likeable designs, and I'm a musou fan, so it caught my attention. Now I have the urge to dig out my copies of Dragon Quest to really give them a shot. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to the franchise by any means, but I can't say I'm any kind of a fan.

I pop in Dragon Quest 5 yesterday, and literally sunk seven hours into it within a day.

Now I feel like an idiot for not giving the series at large a better look back when I first started grabbing them up for DS.

The story is so enjoyable. The characters are so charming (even the monsters). The world is large and colorful. There's no angst or terrible melodrama. Sure, you get sad moments that are very touching...but this isn't Final Fantasy levels of cheese by any stretch. It's just good, simple story telling and I love it. Perhaps it's predictable, but it's just fun. Every town or city you come into has it's own little storyline.

I recently just got
Sabre
back and I was so thrilled when I first walked into that little village at night and saw him running away. Then figuring out what I needed to do to actually recruit him...beautiful touch.

What I'm trying to say is...I'm a fan now. This series just has too much charm. Excited to continue on with V and onward. Thankfully I kept the copies I bought.

You're now a suffering hostage with the rest of us because Squeenix doesn't care about DQ fans any where else but Japan. :(

Glad you're enjoying the games!

You're now a suffering hostage with the rest of us because Squeenix doesn't care about DQ fans any where else but Japan. :(

Glad you're enjoying the games!

We've been fortunate enough to get releases for everything up to and including DQ9 and a bunch of spin-offs. There's stuff missing, but most of the more notable of those have fan translations. There's lots to dig into. It's not so bad. :)

We've been fortunate enough to get releases for everything up to and including DQ9 and a bunch of spin-offs. There's stuff missing, but most of the more notable of those have fan translations. There's lots to dig into. It's not so bad. :)

We haven't gotten a bunch of games

Minster battle road victory
Slime mori mori 3
Dqm1 3ds
Dqm2 3ds
DQ x and it's expansions
Dq7
I'm probably missing more

At least we are getting heroes and probably the halfassed version of viii 3ds.

Heropon

I'm playing Dragon Quest VI DS for the first time and I'm having some problems with the Mage vocation. I need it to get Armamentalist and Sage but Milly and Nevan have terrible equipment options, so they die in two hits and reviving them all the time is a chore, so I don't really know if I should give them other vocations for now or just buy more Yggdrasil leaves.

I'm playing Dragon Quest VI DS for the first time and I'm having some problems with the Mage vocation. I need it to get Armamentalist and Sage but Milly and Nevan have terrible equipment options, so they die in two hits and reviving them all the time is a chore, so I don't really know if I should give them other vocations for now or just buy more Yggdrasil leaves.
Could they be in the wagon and still get the experience, in places where the wagon is with the party?

Top Bottom