• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Totally random request, does anyone have that animated gif of a slime on the deck of a ship(?) where the camera spins around it and it has an astonished look on its face? I think it's from one of the Rocket Slime games. Thanks.

IMO DQ3 and 4 are easier. They have better rhythm and require less outright grinding, and the grinding itself is more fun. Mother is akin to Dragon Quest 2, maybe a little worse in some ways. Certainly lacking in terms of equipment.

Someone claimed this in the Earthbound Beginnings OT. People that have played DQ2 and Mother, do you think this is a reasonable claim? I've heard that DQ2 is the toughest and its made me not play yet. But I have beaten Mother (GBA version and the unreleased version) so maybe it's worth a shot.

Ourobolus

Banned
Someone claimed this in the Earthbound Beginnings OT. People that have played DQ2 and Mother, do you think this is a reasonable claim? I've heard that DQ2 is the toughest and its made me not play yet. But I have beaten Mother (GBA version and the unreleased version) so maybe it's worth a shot.

While I haven't really played much of Mother 1, DQ2 has a very limited selection of equipment (especially for the princess, and only slightly better for the prince), and has a massive difficulty spike right before the end of the game. You can probably get by without grinding much outside of the very beginning of the game until you reach that part, but the Cave to Rhone is ridiculous.

NES/Famicom DQ2 is brutal. Like there's a lot of grinding necessary but by the time you get the boat and have no idea where to go you could just literally end up in an area where one random encounter will kill you.

The remakes are way easier. The SNES/GBC/Mobile versions are definitely recommended. They're still challenging but are much more reasonable.

Aeana

The remakes removed most of DQ2's teeth. The latest version, the smartphone one, even makes it so you can't screw up at the end and get through the cave without all of the crests.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The remakes removed most of DQ2's teeth. The latest version, the smartphone one, even makes it so you can't screw up at the end and get through the cave without all of the crests.

Whaaaaat?

Also Mother 1 is a lot like DQ 2, only a bit more grindy.

Gloam

I've played through it over the past couple of weeks on the bus. It was a breeze, some of the falling tiles were annoying with the touch controls but aside from that the game is fairly easy, even compared to the GBC version which is the other one I've played.

If that's the case then I suppose DQ2 will have its time soon. I played once and got the boat and a few crests, but that was years ago with the Super Famicom version.

Yeah DQ2 on iOS was pretty easy, they gave more equipment for the other characters and a lot more items that cast spells.

KiTA

So what's the best way to advertise Dragon Quest Heroes in the US?

If you said on the back of another advertisement, facing the wall or corner, you might be talented enough to work for Square Enix. Apply today!

:cripes:

I never found that Rocket Slime jif so I made my own terrible version of it.

T6NkeV8.gif

KiTA

fates

Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.

I certainly hope they try to push DQ more here. I'm not very optimistic about VII at this point, but VIII should happen.

Jay RaR

So you can speed up battles like in Bravely Default? Nyice The load times before battle took awhile in this video, hopefully there won't be much loading when it releases.

I wonder if you can take out the Hero in your party once you have more than 4 party members. It seemed like Hero always has to be in the party at least in this video.

Psxphile

I don't know if this has already been confirmed elsewhere but that video finally revealed what weaspons Morrie and Red can equip:
Morrie = claws (new to DQ8), boomerangs and hammers
Red = war fans (new to DQ8), whips and knives

Wasn't expecting new weapon types. And yeah, battle loading was terrible. Anyone who's played the PS2 version is familiar with how quickly and (virtually) seamless battles loaded. Here, there's like 5 seconds of staring at a black screen. That's pretty terrible, even moreso than the graphical issues.

And yeah, battle loading was terrible. Anyone who's played the PS2 version is familiar with how quickly and (virtually) seamless battles loaded. Here, there's like 5 seconds of staring at a black screen. That's pretty terrible, even moreso than the graphical issues.

The PS2 version is very slow into battle as well, especially compared to every other Dragon Quest game, but it's not nearly this bad.

Game launches in August... I really don't think I could stand it being like that if this is a near final build.

Psxphile

The PS2 version is very slow into battle as well,

I don't consider that slow, more like par for the course for a DVD game. It's not Xenosaga III fast, but it's not bad. It helps that you get the music ramping up and the swirly effect as a distraction. What does the 3DS version do? Silence and a black screen.

When it came to battles on the PS2 version, complaints were leveled primarily at battle speed and the frequency of random battles. The 3DS version has addressed these things but made worse the one thing it did okay at.

sensui-tomo

time to wait for that 3ds emulator to get going before i can play that, loading looks atrocious. I want the game to be good, but SE isnt showing me that.

I just noticed they're about to release in a few days an english version of the mobile game Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light.

Gameplay video here.

It says SEA release though.
Does that mean incoming NA launch ?

Teknoman

I just noticed they're about to release in a few days an english version of the mobile game Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light.

Gameplay video here.

It says SEA release though.
Does that mean incoming NA launch ?

That...actually looks like an interesting F2P game. I wonder how the soundtrack is...or if it has a final boss.

Oh and as for the Monsters sub series, which ones are must plays?

That...actually looks like an interesting F2P game. I wonder how the soundtrack is...or if it has a final boss.

Oh and as for the Monsters sub series, which ones are must plays?
Joker 2 is really good, and can be had for cheap. The GBC ones are pretty good as well, but some of the mechanics are pretty dated.

Aeana

How do you guys feel about Dragon Quest Builders? Asking in here because the announcement thread is full of system warriors who don't have any interest in the franchise beyond what it will do for their favored platform or company. I'd like to hear what actual series fans are thinking.

Ourobolus

Banned
How do you guys feel about Dragon Quest Builders? Asking in here because the announcement thread is full of system warriors who don't have any interest in the franchise beyond what it will do for their favored platform or company. I'd like to hear what actual series fans are thinking.

I'm interested. I think the DQ style works well with a minecraft-style game with RPG elements. I also think it would be a good boost to those people in the states that are more into minecraft than DQ, so maybe it'll draw more fans in.

I'm intrigued. I didn't play much Minecraft but I played a decent amount of Terraria which combined the building stuff with some RPGish mechanics and actual things to explore and go for. I think if they can manage some sort of hybrid of Terraria/Minecraft with Dragon Quest trappings it could be the kind of thing I would find myself losing a lot of hours into.

I'm pretty forgiving about experimental titles that use the right amount of nostalgia/familiar licensing to pull people in, as long as they properly capture the right feel of the existing franchise.

brinstar

Minecraft has never appealed to me so my initial reaction wasn't much, but maybe I'll come around when I see how it plays and stuff.

I'll have to see a lot more first. I like Minecraft but what makes that game so awesome for me is the way the survival mechanics meld with the building mechanics. Survival is the impetus to build, and also what creates the challenge in building and what makes doing it so fun. Plus there are always like 10 more things you want to do in that game, and it just really glues you to your seat.

If this is just a cheap, uninspired clone I don't think it would be so interesting. But it's possible that they understand what makes Minecraft so compelling and can make their own experience that does all that and more. Dragon Quest Monsters specifically proves that DQ spinoff clone games can be very, very good with lots of interesting additions.

Edit: Also it would be cool if that game could bring in a lot of new Dragon Quest fans from the Minecraft generation. Dragon Warrior Monsters was what got me into DQ, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Gloam

For me, it's about the structure. If the game has quests and villages that you can happen upon as well as a sandbox mechanic then I'm in. If I'm left to my own devices too much I lose the desire to finish up buildings.

It looks as if there is going to be a bit of a story which is good. I suppose I'm hoping for something that leads you to building bigger and better things while uncovering little vignettes along the way, I think that could work quite well.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much Dragon Quest came through in Heroes, so I'm optimistic about Builders.

Jay RaR

I was never interested in Minecraft but I still have my eye on this game. If the gameplay looks fun and interesting enough I'll give it a try.

I've been a fan of the franchise since the mid 90s.

There have been Dragon Quests that have come out that I haven't cared for, but I still was appreciative of. For example, I don't really care for the mystery dungeon games.

Then there is this. This feels like the lowest, most shameless thing the franchise has ever done.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm okay with Minecraft. And I love DQ. I think there is room for the franchise to explore some of the concepts that have been introduced by Minecraft. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.... judging (by the 1 screenshot we have of this), this is just embarassing. Even with the Dragon Quest Monsters games, which were made to capitalize on the popularity of Pokemon, there was enough drawn from the history and personality of the franchise to really own the concept. Besides, it's not like monster taming was alien to DQ at that point. V and VI both had monster recruiting, as did IV to a (very) limited degree.

I'm hoping my initial gut reaction is wrong though. I mean, I AM basing this off of just one screen with no info or context described.

hazukash

I'm not particularly interested in Builders, but I thought Super Mario Maker looked boring at first and I ended up pre-ordering it after Treehouse. It could be a fun game but I need to see actual footage. I'm not a fan of Minecraft either but if they do it right, DQB could be awesome. To be honest, I don't know if it would sell well in the West though since the franchise isn't popular enough outside of Japan for people to be interested in creating their own worlds...

Reknoc

Cautiously optimistic. From the screen shown I was just "oh" but thinking about it, it's interesting to think what they could do with it. It could just be an uninspired Minecraft clone with Slimes instead of zombies, but I think S-E will want more from it than just that.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Haven't seen much of Builders yet (not sure if there's more info than what's on Gematsu), but in theory it sounds great. I hope we get an English version of it, I definitely want to play this.

But it's certainly not something I ever expected out of the Dragon Quest series, the best kind of surprise.

Ourobolus

Banned
DQ3 question:

Trying to get Sexy on all my players, but the descriptions I read online aren't entirely clear on how I should be distributing seeds.

Let's say I have a Female Gadabout, how do I get the sexy personality? I keep following the guides and am not ending up with anything even in the same random pool as Sexy.

EDIT: nvm, think I figured it out

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I've never really had much interest in Minecraft (just like I've never played a Musou - Heroes will be my first), but I'm still compelled to seek out anything DQ-related. Not to mention DQ spinoffs are generally pretty damn good... so I'm definitely willing to at least give it a try.

That being said, I'm glad I know this is a warmup to some other big series announcements... would be a bit disappointed if this was in isolation. Since I'd still much rather see DQ11 or a remake of a classic DQ. Or hell, even an HD remaster of 8 or a US release of 7remix.

KiTA

So what's #MonstersMonday? DQM / DQMSL announcement imminent? Or is this in reference to DQH having monsters?

Top Bottom