• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

clem84

Gold Member
How would you feel if Yuji Horii decided to make a new 8-bit DQ game? You know, a little like they did with Shovel Knight. A new game with a huge overworld with tons of stuff to do, hundreds of enemies... Just 8-bit style graphics. I think it could be really cool. It would certainly be a departure compared to the most recent DQ games that all have modern graphics (except some of the mobile games). One thing's for sure, Japan would eat it up! :)

How would you feel if Yuji Horii decided to make a new 8-bit DQ game? You know, a little like they did with Shovel Knight. A new game with a huge overworld with tons of stuff to do, hundreds of enemies... Just 8-bit style graphics. I think it could be really cool. It would certainly be a departure compared to the most recent DQ games that all have modern graphics (except some of the mobile games). One thing's for sure, Japan would eat it up! :)

I would probably prefer that to a more modern take on the series, but I bet they would have trouble selling that at full retail price.

How do you guys feel about Dragon Quest Builders? Asking in here because the announcement thread is full of system warriors who don't have any interest in the franchise beyond what it will do for their favored platform or company. I'd like to hear what actual series fans are thinking.
Unfortunately it had to come down to that with the recent shift in platform focus for the franchise. It's basically why I never use MH threads either.

Now DQ Builders, it's a strange one because I have zero interest in Minecraft, yet this actually sounds interesting so far. I think it's mainly the DQ flavour that appeals to me, but the idea of building and populating an iconic world is also to my taste. I am a bit surprised at how blatantly it appears -- on a base level -- to be ripping off Minecraft though. At least in the case of DQM, there was already a monster catching component to DQ. We'll see how the other mechanics stack up later, and whether or not there are new features that give it an identity beyond 'Minecraft-clone'.

I dug my Famicom DQ games out of storage today. Figured I'd take a picture of all of my Dragon Quest games:

Q7USapE.jpg

The boxes for the SNES/GB games are empty; DQ5 is the only total duplicate. Nowhere near a complete collection but I'm not going for complete... I have no desire to own the MSX version of DQ for example. I still want to pick up a JP copy of DQ9 at some point, and maybe fill in the remaining DQM games that I'm missing.

Edit: Also likely to grow in September when I get JP DQ8 3DS and Dragon Quest Heroes. And next year when 800 new DQ games come out.

Reknoc

Verily didst I completeth DQ1, thine dragonlord was dealt thy killing blow by twin lucky crits. Thou shallst not tarry and start DQ2 post haste when thee is on thy carriage home.

Gloam

All Games Beta have the hookup for the new DQVIII trailer. Looks great, characters have more alternative costumes, you can share photos through Streetpass, some neat looking super moves and the voice acting doesn't seem bad either.

Link

Aeana

It's super dumb that SE region locked the trailer on YouTube. Glad someone rehosted.

You know, I know it's not a popular opinion, but I've played DQ8 at least once per year since its release so I have a pretty good rhythm I'm used to, and instant alchemy is gonna throw that off completely. :( Oh well, it'll be cool to have new stuff to play with. I like the look of the new skills and the new monster arena stuff. I don't like Jessica's or Yangus's VA at all.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nothing wrong with finding a new rhythm. Instant alchemy sounds great, it should also make it easier to experiment.
The game looks great, a bit of a shame about no 3D, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Yeah region locking the trailer is ridiculous. They did it with the first trailer too.

As for the trailer itself not bad. Graphically it's really a notch down from the PS2 version but they're doing a good job highlighting the new features of this version, many of which seem like improvements to me. I like Red's moves and pirate outfit. She'll definitely be in my party.

Reknoc

Jessica sounds pretty terrible which is a shame because her Heroes VA was pretty good. Koyasu is nailing it as Dhoulmagus though, which is to be expected.

Not sure how feel about visible enemies though, on one hand it's something I'd have more fun with but on the other it'll make seeing named monster and animals on the map less exciting.

Woah.
Are they really adding Morrie and Red as playable characters?
That's pretty damn awesome.

Always thought they should've been part of the main cast when I first played.

Reknoc

If murdering Slimes for like 3 hours is your jam; the collab event is back for FFXI, except now there's also She-Slimes and Metal Slimes.

Aeana

Why didnt they bring slimes to XIV instead of old busted Golems. Speaking of, does this mean a new DQ event for XIV soon?

These events aren't new, they're just coming back. But for some reason they didn't include FF14 this time. DQ10 has the FF11/FF14 events, FF11 has the DQ10/FF14 events, FF14 has nothing this time.

Reknoc

It's be a shame if they're not delaying it to better space out between the expacs release, since I didn't get my King Slime hat.

It wasn't that great from what I remember though, partly because FFXIV handles all events incredibly poorly and partly because it was just kinda bland. I like that FFXI's has what I presume is an actual character from DQX show up and have it's own (very brief) mini story. Probably the closest we'll ever get to DQX having anything officially in English.

I definitely plan on importing DQVIII 3DS but honestly I'm not sure how much I plan on using Morii and Geruda. I'm used to just using the standard four party members.

By the way, how is Dragon Quest I and II for Android?

I definitely plan on importing DQVIII 3DS but honestly I'm not sure how much I plan on using Morii and Geruda. I'm used to just using the standard four party members.

By the way, how is Dragon Quest I and II for Android?

I bought 1 on Android since it was cheap. Controls are OK; the one handed thing works fine but the precise movement to line up like talking is sometimes annoying. Game feels like it's on Very Easy mode, with Famicom/NES being "Hard", SNES/GBC being "Normal." It means a lot less grinding mostly, but grinding is like 90% of DQ1.

One thing that really bothered me on Android is that the pixel scaling is garbage. It looks super bad, especially in motion. Every pixel is like a different type of rectangle. Really could have benefitted from bilinear filtered scaling.

I guess it's not so bad since it's probably way easier to get this version, but I'd rather play on SNES or GBC.

DiegoPonga

Neo Member
Hi there!

I have some questions for you. I love these games. I enjoyed a lot Dragon Quest IV, V and VI in DS and so I did with Dragon Quest VIII in PS2.

I know there is an Android version of the three first games. Is it cool?

Some questions:

1) Does this versions support any kind of pad? Or just the touchscreen?

2) No way to play horizontally? Just in that strange vertical mode?

3) How are visuals and menus in these versiones?

4) English translation is OK? Any other European translation? I'm Spanish...

Thank you very much!

Ourobolus

Banned
Hi there!

I have some questions for you. I love these games. I enjoyed a lot Dragon Quest IV, V and VI in DS and so I did with Dragon Quest VIII in PS2.

I know there is an Android version of the three first games. Is it cool?

Some questions:

1) Does this versions support any kind of pad? Or just the touchscreen?

2) No way to play horizontally? Just in that strange vertical mode?

3) How are visuals and menus in these versiones?

4) English translation is OK? Any other European translation? I'm Spanish...

Thank you very much!
1. Not sure, sorry
2. Just vertical. But it works well enough
3. I think they are fine. Switching spell menus in battle can be annoying with how small the page button is, but otherwise I didn't have any issues
4. English translation is fine, not sure of other languages

Ourobolus

Banned
Woof. I never tried taking on Xenlon/Grand Dragon before in DQ3, and apparently level 40/36/35/35 is a bit too low. Dunno if I have it in me to grind.

KtSlime

Vertical is a lifesaver for me. By the time I get on the train all the seats are taken and it's good to be able to grab onto something when the train switches tracks or stops suddenly.

I will say this. I had fantastic luck being able to steal with Yangus once I got Stainless Steal Sickle. Only a Shield of Ruin was next to impossible.

I'd almost forgotten how beautiful the PlayStation 2 version of Dragon Quest V is.
Trailer (low-res video, but still...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smfBzIJcH4

And even DQ IV on PS1 looks like it might possibly have some graphic / layering elements not in the DS version (look at 0:36, I'm not really sure): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH0rBp4tuhE
There are many little differences between the PS1 and DS versions yeah. Camera angle for example is more dynamic on PS1 - you can't zoom out in the DS version - also the environments are more compact on DS, and many building models are slightly different, the DS version's water looks worse. Many of the spell animations are redone (I generally prefer the PS1 version) along with some battle backgrounds, but the PS1 version doesn't have idle animations for the monsters etc.

AmyS

There are many little differences between the PS1 and DS versions yeah. Camera angle for example is more dynamic on PS1 - you can't zoom out in the DS version - also the environments are more compact on DS, and many building models are slightly different, the DS version's water looks worse. Many of the spell animations are redone (I generally prefer the PS1 version) along with some battle backgrounds, but the PS1 version doesn't have idle animations for the monsters etc.

Ah thank you for the info. I don't think I've read that much detail before about the differences between PS1 and DS versions.

Is it worth playing the PS1 version over the DS version? I have both but have never gone past Ragnar's chapter in the PS1 version. I'm playing it now on Famicom and it makes me want to play the remake again at some point.

The PS1 version being in Japanese is OK for me but English is easier. More importantly handhelds are nice.

Edit: Oh yeah I remember really liking that you could mess with the flowers like in DQ7 in the PS1 version. Kinda disappointed that didn't appear in the DS version.

Is it worth playing the PS1 version over the DS version? I have both but have never gone past Ragnar's chapter in the PS1 version. I'm playing it now on Famicom and it makes me want to play the remake again at some point.

The PS1 version being in Japanese is OK for me but English is easier. More importantly handhelds are nice.
If you have to play only one then I'd say the DS version. I've mentioned some differences and even though many aesthetic differences favour the PS1 version, the DS version is improved in many ways too, and is the one available in English (both on DS and iOS). It's smoother and plays faster, has better music (imo), and the monster idle animations are appreciated, even if they're not as dynamic as the ones in later DQ games. Another difference I forgot to point out is that the bonus dungeon is completely different in the DS version.

Aeana

The DS version of 4 is much faster, so for that reason alone, I'd recommend it. I really prefer the "crunchier" music too, though that's something people tend to be split on.

You also get access to the bag in chapters 1-4 on DS, which means you can carry over more stuff (relevant for chapter 3) than just in the 12 inventory slots on PSX.

Boogiepop

This is kind of a stupid/random question, but does anyone have the exact wording of when a monster effectively skips a turn? Something like it's looking and waiting? I've seen it enough I believe, but I can't remember exactly how it was put, and Google is failing me...

Jay RaR

This is kind of a stupid/random question, but does anyone have the exact wording of when a monster effectively skips a turn? Something like it's looking and waiting? I've seen it enough I believe, but I can't remember exactly how it was put, and Google is failing me...

Either

"X is assessing the situation."

or

"X has no idea what to do!"

AmyS

Since Dragon Quest VII is meant to be the longest of DQ games, I very much want to play NA PS1 Dragon Warrior VII.

wGxpRDL.jpg

8LqeV3Z.jpg

Presently don't have a PS1 or PS2, so will my PS3 Slim (original Slim) be able to play DW7 ?

johnsmith

remember me
Since Dragon Quest VII is meant to be the longest of DQ games, I very much want to play NA PS1 Dragon Warrior VII.

Presently don't have a PS1 or PS2, so will my PS3 Slim (original Slim) be able to play DW7 ?

All ps3s can play all ps1 discs.

KiTA

Livestream is... picking a save file, I guess? That music...

Apparently its 90 minutes. Will we have a thread about it (the other one was closed for some reason) or just do stuff in here.

Edit: It's started!

Flaming Sword...

DQ8. DQ Builders. DQH2. DQMJ3. DQX. (New Expansion Time?)

No mention of DQXI, I guess it's supposed to be a surprise?

Nice Lady pitches to Guy in suit, producer of some sort.

Switch to Dragon Quest Super Light. 1400KANJI downloads... (14 million? Nah, that can't be)

Dragon Quest Monster Parade, the PC game that everyone forgot about. 6/25 it hit 2 million players.

Trailer for Dragon Quest of the Stars. Character creation looks like it's straight ouf of DQ9. Battles look like DQ7. You can see you party from behind. The mascot character looks really stupid. Western toon-like.

F2P: Stamina bar is definitely there. Dungeons appear to be Puzzle and Dragons like, your team walks sideways and ends up in fights --- no choices? Trailer ends with the OC characters representing the players rushing up to help ... was that Roto's Decendant ... fight the Dragonlord?

Not sure how the gatcha works. Some of the gear was different color -- FFRK style?

Next up... Horii? He's in "Startup Casual," heh.

DQ8 is up next. Bringing out the Producer.

Special Message: Live Action commercial being shot. The characters are spot on, although Yangus scowled too much. :p

Dragon Quest builders is up now.

"Block Make RPG." Throwback to the choice at the end of DQ1, when the Dragonlord offers to let you join him. If you choose yes in the original, you die.

Trailer...
the hero chose yes. The Dragonlord destroyed the world after dealing with the hero who betrayed humanity. That's... actually clever.

Not much new, all images we've already seen. Anyone with a basic understanding of minecraft can already tell what's going on in them.

Correct myself: Live gameplay. It's definitely minecraft. Durability, collecting stone, placing stone, crafting table... Menu based crafting instead of placing blocks in a grind.

Shows him creating a small dirt hut, then an inn, complete with all the fluff objects like wardrobes... then shows the same village slightly later, now with villagers.

Bigger villages, including a castle, it almost looks like the Dragon Quest 1 castle done in blocks? That can't be right.

Shows combat, looks like basic minecraft style combat. DQ Healing items in the item bar. Probably magic later on? He places a dirt block to block a spell from hitting him.

It looks amazing. PS4 / PSV... and PS3.

DQH2 is up now.

DQH1: 10 months, 1 million sold? Too much kanji for me. :(

Lots of talking while looking at an image of ... Balzak being attacked by Carver, Maribell, Mara and Terry? Not sure. Would make a great wallpaper.

2016. They're having entirely too much fun with the Healslime mascot.

Not much about DQH2 at all that I could gather with my nonexistant Japanese skills.

DQMJ3!

... The producer is a pirate. What.

Well, whatever.

Quick recap of the DQM series since 1998 (lord I feel OLD).

Main character still looks like the hero of the older DQMJ game. He appears to be a lot older than the standard monster catcher protagonist -- teens at least, if not outright adult.

Mascot looks... silly.

No in game footage, no screenshots, no release date (not even a year).

Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner.

It's an arcade game similar to Monster Battle Road. The logos are very similar. Talking about how Dragon Quest Monster Battle series has 3 games -- Monster Battle Road, Monster Battle Road 2, Monster Battle Road 2 Legend (no mention of the Wii port, Monster Battle Road Victory). They're an interesting combination of a CCG and a Arcade game -- you get cards when you put in coins, and then those cards are the characters and gear you can use.

Main character has SSJ Gohan hair. And wings on his head. ... Ok. Holding a card and grasping a dragon staff -- likely the same thing as the sword in Monster Battle Road (when you unlock a super attack, the sword would rise up and let you swipe a special super card).

Square Enix + Marvelous working on it. "Scan battle RPG." 2016.

No in game assets, just a single wallpaper concept art image.

Dragon Quest X....

Some sort of event starting on August. Celebration of some kind.

Food in the real life bar based on DQ.

DQX 3DS getting some form of controls update. N3DS buttons support?

Horii really happy to be moving on to the next announcement....

Which is started by the DQ... 3... ending theme?

Talking about DQ's history. Showing each game in a row. 30 years of Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest XI. The logo was animated, shows the dragon breathing the fire.

Saito Yosuke (Neir) is producing.

DUAL RELEASE: PS4 and N3DS.

907a2de2b0.jpg

BOTH sides of the console war were right. (And I'd wager money if the NX gets out soon enough they'll port it there, too.)

No screenshots yet, just a lot of talking from producers and directors and the like. Apparently it's Level-5 and Spike Chunsoft.

Horii just whipped out a controller.

DQ8 style graphics, only expanded. Holy crap.

... Wow.

There is NO WAY these graphics would work on the 3DS. N3DS maybe. More likely it's cloud streaming.

@revenantkioku on twitter just pointed out the DQXI logo is very similar to the DQ1 logo, only backwards.

HOLY COW, the 3DS version is... uh... DQ9 + DQ6 graphics. What the unholy crap?! (And we were just speaking about them supposedly being able to do both options, haha.)

For those not catching the stream, the 3DS version isn't streaming the PS4 version over the cloud or whatever, it's both 2D and 3D at the same time. The bottom screen is 2D like DQ6 for the SNES. The top screen is 3D like DQ7/8's remake. They show the same stuff concurrently.

OAS7Ba6.jpg

Battle in the 3DS version. Looks like DQ7's battle engine. 3D graphics are roughly on par with a slightly upgraded DQ9/DQ7, it looks really nice. This is freaking megaton. They basically completely re-did the game's graphic engine -- twice -- for the 3DS.

No party members shown, but there's room for 4 of them.

078399e3d1.png

Art of the main character. Not customizable? Looks about as far from Dragonball Z as you can get, heh. Very skinny kid with a sword on his back and shoulder length hair.

The guy from V Jump is there with a sealed exclusive announcement...

Reading...

Long read. Nothing megaton. He's looking amused as hell reading it.

An older gentleman... Koichi Sugiyama -- the guy who has done the music for every Dragon Quest since the first.

Somewhat epic music... probably just the ending of the show, they're all standing in the middle now.

Edit: apparently they slipped in a casual, "Oh yeah, it's coming to the Nintendo NX as well." at the end there.

Also, there's a thread talking about it but it's not appearing in search results:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1085666

DQ11 looks hot.

To clarify, yes Super Lite is at 14 mil downloads and DQH at 1 million sales.

Edit: I'm watching the presser fully now. Hoshi no Dragon Quest looks pretty good! I really hope it's not ruined by some awful monetization business.

Also does anyone know if Hori still smokes? His voice is starting to sound a lot less raspy.

I guess i'm the only one who likes the DQ XI hero.

I like those serious hero type designs, and glad they avoided the child-like art of DQ VII and DQ IX.

Disappointed they didn't have some form of announcement trailer for it though.
DQ IX's reveal was miles better.

Dragon Quest of the Stars looks really good for a mobile game.
Hope they do an official NA localization, and not some half-baked english SEA release.

Top Bottom