• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

randomkid

Actually not bothered by the design at all personally. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a female option though after Heroes and Builders.

KiTA

Actually not bothered by the design at all personally. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a female option though after Heroes and Builders.

This Dragon Quest appears to be taking the more traditionally DQ route of having the main character be a specific character with a specific personality, history, role, etc. No customization, but that's ok. I'd be surprised if there didn't turn out to be some DQ8 / 10 style skill point system.

There will almost definitely be a female main character as well - but not switching between them, she'll likely be her own character et all.

KiTA

So DQMSL is out in English, and yup, blocked in America and Europe. APK Downloader works, though.

http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.garena.game.dqmsl

Edit: First impressions are good. Only a few instances of odd English.

Here's the rub. The localization is very, very good. It's witty, it's funny, it has alliteration. LOTS of Alliteration.

... Did the team that localized the DS games help on this? Is there an actual Western DQMSL localization inbound? The localization is just... higher quality than I expected.

Coppanuva

So DQMSL is out in English, and yup, blocked in America and Europe. APK Downloader works, though.

http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.garena.game.dqmsl

Edit: First impressions are good. Only a few instances of odd English.

Here's the rub. The localization is very, very good. It's witty, it's funny, it has alliteration. LOTS of Alliteration.

... Did the team that localized the DS games help on this? Is there an actual Western DQMSL localization inbound? The localization is just... higher quality than I expected.

I was under the impression this WAS the release for the US... guess not. Well, whatever, I'll use the downloader link thanks!

The immigrant town is different in DQIV PS1 vs. the DS version. I remember that much. I also don't recall Pisaro being a party member either was he?

My mistake on DQX, I wanted it to be successful but I think an offline and online option would have been better if they were changing the formula to be honest.

I will probably get both versions of DQXI if money allows. My preference is the PS4 version because of the graphics but I may also get the 3DS version as well.

KtSlime

Yeah, I'm not spending any money, but I am fiddling with it a bit.

The localization remains really good.

Money isn't a problem in DQMSL, I've been playing the past year and a half, and been spending my gems, but is still have managed to save 20000, and I'm not participating in daily battles which is a good way to get gems daily. The game is pretty balanced.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not gonna hope for much. I'm sure we'll get Dragon Quest XI, at least in some form. But apart from that.....better not get excited before they announce anything. DQH2 is pretty likely, too, I guess.

Reknoc

Spent all morning trying to buy a digital code for DQX so I now feel preeeeeetty good about that coming over somehow.

Fou-Lu

DQII was an all right game, but it felt really lacking in something that I can't quantify. Still enjoyed it.

So having finished DQII, now on to DQIII. I like it a lot more so far, though the second game was fun, the better visuals is really selling it for me. Playing the SNES Remix and I love the monster and spell animations. Made all my characters based on real life friends so that I feel like I can imagine how they would react to new areas and enemies and situations.

KiTA

Spent all morning trying to buy a digital code for DQX so I now feel preeeeeetty good about that coming over somehow.

I'm confused by what you're saying here -- the pain of trying to buy DQX makes you think it'll come over?

Man Joker 1 is expensive to get my hands on. I want an NA copy but everything on ebay is $20+ to ship to Australia, so cheapest I can find ends up at like $45-50.

Should I just skip it and play Joker 2?

Collection right now is 4, 5, 6, 9 and Joker 2 all on DS, plus 8 on PS2.
I am watching an auction for Rocket Slime, and I'll pick up a copy of Swords soon too.
So I feel a bit weird skipping Joker 1 when I'll have pretty much every other 'modern' game.

Anyways, I only just got into the series this year, started with 4 and am 20 hours into 5 (just after the second time skip).

Ughhhhh Theatrhythm : Dragon Quest is really cheap on Play-Asia right now ($14ish). Trying to talk myself out of buying this, as I don't have a JP 3DS and it'd be just for the collection.

Scotia

Banned
It's killing me to have Dragon Quest 1-6 on my phone, have 8 ready and waiting on the Play Store, but no Dragon Quest 7 available at all. I'd get 8 but that gap would drive me nuts *sigh*.

hazukash

Man Joker 1 is expensive to get my hands on. I want an NA copy but everything on ebay is $20+ to ship to Australia, so cheapest I can find ends up at like $45-50.

Should I just skip it and play Joker 2?

Collection right now is 4, 5, 6, 9 and Joker 2 all on DS, plus 8 on PS2.
I am watching an auction for Rocket Slime, and I'll pick up a copy of Swords soon too.
So I feel a bit weird skipping Joker 1 when I'll have pretty much every other 'modern' game.

Anyways, I only just got into the series this year, started with 4 and am 20 hours into 5 (just after the second time skip).

I found Joker 1 last Winter by going to EBGames after class to look for amiibo. A delightful surprise after a long exam, although the manual was missing (but not the safety hazard leaflet and SE survey?). I wasn't even looking for it, and I paid the eBay price, which was around $13 CAD without shipping. You may want to wait for auctions that are cheaper than average (and snipe them) or try to get it used in a brick-and-mortar store to avoid shipping costs like I did. I enjoyed the game a lot, more than Joker 2 surprisingly. I pre-ordered that one when it was announced, though. Rocket Slime is on my watch list too :)

In other news, now that my 3DS is region free thanks to the YouTube app, I'm considering importing the unreleased Japanese games. Do you think there is a possibility SE will localize DQVII and DQVIII, making my purchase somewhat pointless? We do own the PS2 versions in the family, but they're sitting in a box on a barn on another continent. I haven't played the games at all. There is such a low chance DQMJ3 will be localized since Joker 2 sold poorly, I might as well get it too.

Aeana

I wonder if I should bother making an OT for DQ8 3DS. Not sure how many people are gonna get it or are interested in reading impressions and stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm definitely interested in reading impressions, but I don't know how many people are going to follow a thread like that.
But then again, you can always make a thread with a very basic OP and try. This community thread also went better than you ever thought it would. ;)

It's killing me to have Dragon Quest 1-6 on my phone, have 8 ready and waiting on the Play Store, but no Dragon Quest 7 available at all. I'd get 8 but that gap would drive me nuts *sigh*.

Yeah I have all the ios releases now and not having vii is weird.
Hopefully it will be playable in English soon.

KtSlime

Oh yeah, it'll do well on mobile @ $39.99 ~ 49.99 a pop.
This is probably the best priced SE game on the AppStore. If it does come over (and I don't think it will) it's likely to be $15.99, as it costs 1800 in Japan and that's a steal. The Ultimate Hits release for 3DS costs around ¥2700 at places like Yodobashi and Bic currently.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Gematsu uploaded the opening movie for DQ builders. Slight differences between the tgs trailer and this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37k6ea_dragon-quest-builders-opening-movie_videogames#tab_embed

Looks great. Do we know if this'll will have a multiplayer mode of some sorts?

If it come West, it will be on both smart phones and 3DS.
I honestly expect this to be a mobile only release at this point.

There's so much coming up and left behind that we really need some kind of announcement for any DQ game coming to the West (or not) soon. Maybe after Heroes is released?

Looks great. Do we know if this'll will have a multiplayer mode of some sorts?

I honestly expect this to be a mobile only release at this point.

There's so much coming up and left behind that we really need some kind of announcement for any DQ game coming to the West (or not) soon. Maybe after Heroes is released?
Not sure why you think a mobile and 3DS digital only game for 18/20 to 25 usd is impossible.

I'm thinking about buying a Dragon Quest game on the Iphone. Which one would you guys reccommend the most?

I've played 8 on the PS2 and the original years ago on the NES. Looking for more into the 4-7 titles.

Out of DQ4-6, either 4 or 5 would be the best to start on. What to do in DQ6 got a bit more obscure at times and needed a walkthough (or maybe that's just me).

Top Bottom