• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest creator Yuji Hori is directly blaming American influence for both DQ3 Remake censorship and the change of Male/Female to Type 1/ Type 2

CGNoire

xSt7siu.jpeg

Killer8

Let's look at the things bought up in the interview

• First they say its about age ratings so that they can sell more copies, but we all know that the game with the highest sales in the world is rated mature
  • They mention for the male and female options they changed them to Type 1 and Type 2 and then proceed to say they don't even know who is complaining about that, so why did they make they change? Other games certainly still allow you to choose male or female.
So it seems like they're self-censoring in hopes of selling more units and blaming the decision process on the West.

If you're having to self-censor to avoid a reaction from someone then it's still the fault of the someone.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If you're having to self-censor to avoid a reaction from someone then it's still the fault of the someone.

I've bolded some key words in your statement.

They don't have to, they're choosing to. It's their decision.

Avoid a reaction that other games don't get? It seems like they have an assumption not based in facts, which isn't surprising from a company that hasn't read the room right in decades.

You can go through your whole life blaming others for your own assumptions and decisions. Good luck with that is my commentary on that.

near

Gold Member
Cool to see them complain about it but what they should have done is not allow this shit in the first place. They bent the knee, and I really hope this impact sales in a bad way so they finally get the message.
An ever so slightly less revealing outfit and genders replaced with Type-1 & Type-2 isn't going to stop those including myself from buying the game. It will take something far more egregious from SE for that to happen.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
An ever so slightly less revealing outfit and genders replaced with Type-1 & Type-2 isn't going to stop those including myself from buying the game. It will take something far more egregious from SE for that to happen.
Yeah you are right, most people won't give a shit and still buy the game. Should have used "wish" instead of "hope".

In any case, it's still bad press. Hope they don't do the same shit for the remakes of I and II but honestly I'm not too optimistic, the big japanese developers are starting to get infected with the mind virus and it's a sad sight for sure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hope they don't do the same shit for the remakes of I and II but honestly I'm not too optimistic
For what it's worth, the first two games use pre-created characters, and you don't get to choose their genders.

Madonis

The forum topic's headline here is somewhat misleading, because there's a couple of different (yet admittedly related) subjects in that clip.

1. Changes in character design and exposure. According to Yuji Horii, this is related to wanting to sell the DQ3 remake as an all-ages product. Too much skin exposure would make the age rating go up, which it seems they don't want.

No country is initially named in this part of the discussion, so it seems Horii's statement implicitly includes Japan and the CERO rating, which has become stricter in recent years.

Someone else, who is unnamed and off-screen, also adds that "rules vary from country to country" and states how wanting to sell widely requires complying with the strictest regulations.

Are the strictest regulations for games, generally speaking, coming from the U.S. or...? Keep in mind they're also selling this game in various other international markets as well. In other words, it's more of an open-ended answer in my opinion.

2. Torishima, the former manga editor, is the one who then discusses the difficulties of getting manga published in the United States. He mentions that the age categories were rather strict and how Shonen Jump had to be sold only for readers ages 13 and up.

Back in the day, he recalls that companies publishing in the U.S. even needed to get insurance against lawsuits. Torishima finds that situation to be ridiculous and frustrating, concluding that such things also end up influencing Japan as well.

Given that Torishima is speaking as someone who came from the manga publishing world, I think it's very important to recall the historical context behind his words. There has been a relatively long history of fear and moral panic against not only videogames (see: Jack Thompson and his "crusade" against violence in games), but also against anime and manga.

In the U.S. and other countries, there were indeed occasional protests from parent groups and religious organizations that Japanese media was "corrupting the youth" with sex and violence (including, it should be mentioned, protests against the presence of LGBT+/gay content, which is often thrown in with the other sexual "perversions" of Japanese media). While those types of complaints are far less common these days, I wouldn't say they have completely stopped either.

3. Yuji Horii then brings up the change in how the player used to select between male and female protagonists in DQ, but now it's a choice between type 1 and type 2.

Frankly, that particular change is not new to the DQ3 remake. I've seen it in previous modern DQ games. Of course, it's still perfectly relevant to ask...who is even complaining about that? Because I sure don't see a whole lot of the so-called "woke" folks in DQ circles going around proactively demanding such a change either. They might like it when the option is offered in other games, sure, but there's been no mass movement asking Square-Enix to change its own practices.

If anything, it sounds like that particular case was...well, more of a solution in search of a problem. In other words, it's happened preemptively rather than reactively.

Personally, I find this whole subject to be exhausting. Are these changes going to ruin the game? No, but I wish they didn't make such changes in the first place and see them as trying too hard to avoid offending people, regardless of socio-political affiliation, when freedom of expression is supposed to be what art and entertainment are all about. That said, it's also true that a company as large as Square-Enix has to place a lot of importance on marketing, especially on a global scale, so it can never be a purely creative process in the first place.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For what it's worth, the first two games use pre-created characters, and you don't get to choose their genders.
Yeah but who knows, maybe instead of carrying the princess she decides to go back to the castle on her own because she's feeling quite strong and independent.

I jest, but who knows. :goog_relieved:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I would never let something so silly and trivial to taint my opinion of this masterpiece. It’s sad to see that we here at GAF are engaging in the same sort of cancel culture that we accuse the purple folks of. Truly we are no better than they are….

…wait, THE Yuji Hori said this? Uhh… shit [head explodes]

Killer8

I've bolded some key words in your statement.

They don't have to, they're choosing to. It's their decision.

Avoid a reaction that other games don't get? It seems like they have an assumption not based in facts, which isn't surprising from a company that hasn't read the room right in decades.

You can go through your whole life blaming others for your own assumptions and decisions. Good luck with that is my commentary on that.

Companies want to avoid a negative reaction by any means necessary because it creates a PR firestorm. In the games industry it won't just be a negative one from troons on Resetera and the like - it will also come from the entire journalistic apparatus asking difficult questions.

We already saw that when Final Fantasy 16 dared to feature a racially homogeneous setting. Square Enix have first hand experience having to deal with the nagging progressive Western lobby and I doubt they have any interest in having to repeat that again.

So yes, if a company wants to avoid going through the struggle session, naturally they do have to do it. You've styled at as their choice - but choices are not arbitrary and are highly dependent on outcome.

I view it as not too different from an abusive spouse scenario where someone is needing to walk on egg shells in case they land another black eye. Who's fault would that be I wonder?

(...)

The problem there is, politically-driven entertainment culture has gone so extreme that telling what is legit and what is parody isn’t easy anymore. Just look at the Dustborn thread - some people there have a feeling that the game is a parody, and I certainly can’t blame them.
Personally, I see no parody in Dustborn. That game was genuinely developed with deliberately contemporary identity politics inserted into it. If it were a parody, those characters wouldn't be presented in a flattering/heroic manner and more in a "over the top" distorted fashion where they would just appear cartoonish to look at and listen to imo.

That said, I don't have anything against games like that existing on their own. As long as "ideas" such as that are contained within an original creation, and away from established IPs, then its fine.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

They can lay the blame on whatever they want, and it may be out of their hands specifically, but I still ain't buying a censored game.
Yeah same for me. I won't think less of those getting it day 1 since everyone is free to do as they please, but to me a censored product is a no.

Hell, what's next? Censored demons in my SMT games? Fuck that, I'll never give my support and money to the hacks behind those practices.

They can lay the blame on whatever they want, and it may be out of their hands specifically, but I still ain't buying a censored game.
In this day and age, when you can release a game digitally and you don´t even have to print the discs... couldn´t they just release another digital SKU without the censorship?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
We know some people on neoGAF and reseteta post in bad faith when even the director is pointing out the censorship.

As a funfact if you put this interview over the Google you can't barelly find anything related.

Google is known to censor their search results. Why I use different search engines

Hearing about the censorship out of the horses mouth just confirms that I should wait for a sale on Steam. It's a shame really since the rest of the game looks fantastic

Madonis

In this day and age, when you can release a game digitally and you don´t even have to print the discs... couldn´t they just release another digital SKU without the censorship?

They could do it, technically speaking, but why would they bother? It's a moot point, because Dragon Quest, at least for the main games, is primarily sold as a product intended for all-ages within Japan and many of the sales are still physical. Most of the intended audience isn't going to make their purchasing decision based on this subject. Conversely, I would admit that most of the audience wouldn't complain if they hadn't made such changes in the first place either, but it sounds like that would change the marketing strategy by no longer being for "all-ages".

Last edited:

Kacho

Well, in their effort to appeal to more westerners they only end up alienating their actual audience. I’m sure sales will reflect that too. Congratulations.

Didn’t Square Enix kick sweet baby to the curb recently?

They could do it, technically speaking, but why would they bother? It's a moot point, because Dragon Quest, at least for the main games, is primarily sold as a product intended for all-ages within Japan and many of the sales are still physical. Most of the intended audience isn't going to make their purchasing decision based on this subject. Conversely, I would admit that most of the audience wouldn't complain if they hadn't made such changes in the first place either, but it sounds like that would change the marketing strategy by no longer being for "all-ages".
Also, now that I´ve thought about it for a little longer, if they release an uncensored version, that automatically devalues the western version and those customers are going to feel second class and it could hurt sales in the west

ByWatterson

Fine to criticize American politics, but no one is censoring shit over here (it's the one place on Earth where it's almost entirely illegal!) and no one would be upset with male/female.

Either they have dishonest consultants or they do bad market research. Either way it's on them and not us.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The thing is the Type A/B is offensive to all sane people, who represent the overwhelming majority, but it doesn't seem to matter if we're offended.

Democracy is about catering to the majority and not to a minority of mentally ill degenerates. The free market is about making the product that a majority of your customers want so you can sell as many as possible, not about catering to mentally ill degenerates who won't even be buying your product.

StereoVsn

Do they really think this game would sell less with a T rating?
Let’s be real, younger kids aren’t going touch this game with a 10’ pole due to pixel graphics and outdated systems.

It’s a game that’s mostly directed at core DQ audience so the only thing this self censoring accomplished is loss their fanbase off.

Again I don’t think it’s going to affect sales too much, but neither would leaving shit alone. It’s all exhausting like seeing warning labels on old movies.

He's right 👍.

American cultural imperialism in effect. It's quite appalling, in ways. Such as this example.

Let’s be real, younger kids aren’t going touch this game with a 10’ pole due to pixel graphics and outdated systems.

It’s a game that’s mostly directed at core DQ audience so the only thing this self censoring accomplished is loss their fanbase off.

Again I don’t think it’s going to affect sales too much, but neither would leaving shit alone. It’s all exhausting like seeing warning labels on old movies.

Younger kids play bad-looking games like Minecraft and budget-looking indies on mobile & PC all the time. Compared to a lot of those these DQ remasters/remakes look a step above.

What I don't get is, what content is in older DQ games to warrant even a Teen rating? Let alone Mature? It's like seeing cartoons from when I was a kid be rated TV-Y or TV-Y7, now rated TV-PG or TV-14 today...when it's the exact same content as back then!

"Modern sensibilities" 🙄

Last edited:

Thorpe

I saw this the other day, but was hoping there would be more translations out there by now to see if they were all similar. Based off the only translation released so far, it looked like a pretty blunt and raw discussion from the creators regarding the changes and how the overall landscape looks to them. Although, some of the wording used makes me wonder if some liberties were taken with the translation - especially as they are speaking on behalf of the company at a tradeshow. Of course, maybe they give zero fucks and that's how they usually talk lol

I didn't realize this game was getting hit with the changes and noticed this was a some-what hot topic about 2 weeks ago once I started digging in on it. I don't agree with the changes done in comparison to the original either and based off the only translation so far - at least they are aware of it and talking about it. The costume changes were really odd too as they remind me of the old school Conan/Dungeons and Dragons covers. The other thing too with doing a global (international) release is that they are also putting this on practically all platforms. I don't believe CERO was the issue here, but I'm curious if this was more of a platform issue.

For any Akira Toriyama fans out there, has any of his designs ever been modified like this post-production release? I still find it odd it was changed to add those textures to the warrior like that, especially as you can't really see anything in-game either (based off what's been released so far). Most people likely wouldn't notice it aside from the promotional character/artwork designs that make it more obvious due to the detail.

Why do you pretend that all of this isn't coming from the west, especially the US?

First they have Sony with their new HQ in the US cracking down on their sorry asses, then they have their own publishers demanding DEI shit, because they have investors with specific guidelines they need to follow. Like two out of four of Square-Enix key shareholders are american Investor firms. BlackRock and Vanguard Group, they demand DEI/ESG shit in all products. If Square-Enix doesn't meet those demands than they lose these investors.

Here is what BlackRock's CEO has to say about this, this was 7 years ago:

Q: BlackRock has really been in the forefront of ESG movement within corporate governance and a real leader... and change is so slow, how do you force change when it's so incremental and so gradual? How do you do something more radical? Have you thought about that? Has the board of American Express thought about more radical things we could do to enhance diversity and inclusion?

A: Well, I could speak about BlackRock's board, but it doesn't come from the board, it really has to come from the leadership of the firm and if the leadership of the firms are not doing the changes, hopefully the board forces that change and if not it's gonna be the shareholders, okay?

You can safely assume that the Vanguard Group shares the sentiments. Now you have two of those as your key shareholders and you really want and need their money, so what do you do? You follow their DEI/ESG guidelines. So, no shit SE is telling their devs to self censor.

Thank you for showing this and educating others that are not really aware of what's going on.

Hopefully someone here can answer this question since we got some really bright people here. If DEI is so divisive and can cause a company/corporation/firm to lose money (Budlight situation, Sony, Disney) why implement it? Isn't the goal of these corporations to make money?

Filben

I wish social media would finally implode. Why do we cater to the vocal 1% of 1%? Because people don't know fucking nuance anymore. If you're not inclusive you're automatically xyz-phobic and full of hatred... Then we can outright stop any conversation.

Last edited:

neocycle

Neo Member
"an evil disguised as good"
There you have it. What developers actually think.

"Body type A and B" only exists because of the tyranny of trans activists.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dragon Quest is a JP game made by JP people and they are well within their rights to control what they do with the IP. So maybe don't censor the game? Maybe make the game for the fans and not consultants and companies who aren't buying the product to begin with?

Hori is talking the talk but he sure isn't walking the walk. If he is so upset...so frustrated he would have as the IP creator stopped this from happening. This isn't a George Lucas where he sold the IP...he still has some say in what can happen and clearly regardless of spewing hot air he isn't doing much about it.

Pot meet Kettle.

kettle-black.jpg

If he cared he would delay the game and remove the censorship and restore Toriyama's vision but hmmm I don't think he will.

Top Bottom