• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest creator Yuji Hori is directly blaming American influence for both DQ3 Remake censorship and the change of Male/Female to Type 1/ Type 2

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Brutal. Rekt. Savage. These western developers should take note. No one likes them. People are publicly mocking them. Even pink hair Japanese girls are like these western purple freaks are too much.

Type A and Type B. We have completely lost it trying to pander to 0.0001% of the population.
Even Disney loses its mind for not hiring Snow White's dwarfs.

Needlecrash

In a recent interview at TGS he expressed his frustration about US influence affecting his games like removing main character genders as well as censorship of many female characters in the game.

Glad to see they are confirming everything that people has been calling out for these last years.

I'm glad they see this shit too and actually speaking out on it.

yogaflame

I believe this is just the beginning and more developers especially from Asia will speak up against this twisted gender ideology madness. Silver lining is now more developers are speaking up against force and pushing for narative of twisted woke agenda especially containing twisted gender ideology. More painful lesson because of flop in sales and sadly job loses will wake up companies from this madness.

Stu_Hart

The mental lunatics are going to cancel this man, and he of course is not going to give a fuck. He knows, we know, he's above them.
He doesn't have to do this. We have seen examples of companies still pushing back and releasing games with genders and sexualised stuff in the west. Someone most likely was in his ear whispering crap. He needs to look around at his team and the type of people he keeps around instead of blaming the west entirely.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fess

The views which are expressed on GAF or in the general public aren't being expressed to these companies (aka stick to male/female please).

This is evident from this clip where at the end he says:

DHFlk17.png

The creators are confused because they're seemingly only hearing the activists screeching and the US/Europe EDI market research or staff is telling them look guys make these changes. They probably don't even know most gamers are sick of it or getting to that point and are on their side.
Yeah they seem to think the majority want these changes when it’s just a tiny loud minority that won’t buy the game anyway.
Kinda makes you feel bad for them. The game will sell worse because of the changes and they thought it would make them reach a bigger audience.

jcorb

In a recent interview at TGS he expressed his frustration about US influence affecting his games like removing main character genders as well as censorship of many female characters in the game.

Glad to see they are confirming everything that people has been calling out for these last years.

I wonder how people are going to try and ignore this.

If devs WANT to focus on this kind of social justice virtue signaling, that’s their right. But it’s clear that certain groups are bullying people to prop up their particular views, and those people can go fuck themselves.

So has there been retribution against the DQ devs? I'm guessing a part of the gaming world and especially the other forum would not like this and will retaliate against these devs.

Jsisto

Absolutely based. No sane person in America even wants this nonsense. It’s crazy how industries have been hijacked by people that do stuff like this to market to consumers that aren’t even interested in the product. I mean honestly….what dragon quest fans care in the slightest about having non-binary characters? Maybe like 12 people? This is insane.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Absolutely based. No sane person in America even wants this nonsense. It’s crazy how industries have been hijacked by people that do stuff like this to market to consumers that aren’t even interested in the product. I mean honestly….what dragon quest fans care in the slightest about having non-binary characters? Maybe like 12 people? This is insane.
Most companies arent entrenched in DEI like a tech or game or media company. And most consumers arent either.

Problem is media companies are somehow full of liberal employees and their bosses (who should be focusing on business strategy and numbers) dont have the balls to say no.

If anyone at Nabisco or Coke tried to go ape shit clowning Oreo cookies and soft drinks with a major political messages, no boss would accept it. Which ever idiot brought it up would be shot down. But in gaming companies it seems no boss can say no to dumb shit that will bomb the financials.

BUT, there is a difference.

When it comes to charity or fuzzy feelings, it's a lot harder to say no because if you do you are seen as a snob or mean spirited. Nobody cares if people shoot down something about Oreo ingredients or pricing because it's just a cookie. But if you go against DEI'ing content youre seen as an ogre.

It's really no different than those asshead coworkers come by begging for money to pay for their kids hockey and soccer leagues. You got a coworker who makes decent money. Their spouse that makes money too. They go around the office looking for $20 donations or raffle draws for a shit bottle of wine. You try to decline but they keep bugging you about it. And if one of her coworker buddies is nearby and sees whats going on then you might get two people tagteaming you to donate because now it looks bad if you say forget it and pay for your own kid's sports leagues. The worst is when you're asked, a bunch of people are watching, then you get the asshole who says in front of everyone.... "C'mon, you make good money, give $20". I dont feel like it, but I admit sometimes I do go with the flow to shut them up. So it kind of works.

So DEI kind of stuff will always have an edge compared to boring business strategy for non-political products, which everyone evaluates purely on costs and quality.

Last edited:

xanaum

I think these guys from Asia are going to restore game development, especially in terms of storytelling and not forced political lectures, bringing back interesting characters without gender or race tokens. They are my hope against this dark age that the West has fallen into.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hopefully this makes japanese companies think about releasing their games uncensored
Unfortunately, reviews and metascores are a thing.
If the content that is currently censored is reason enough for reviewers to lower their scores, releasing the games uncensored IS going to create trouble.

MMaRsu

I wonder how people are going to try and ignore this.

If devs WANT to focus on this kind of social justice virtue signaling, that’s their right. But it’s clear that certain groups are bullying people to prop up their particular views, and those people can go fuck themselves.

Ignore it? They are already calling for his cancellation.

Unfortunately, reviews and metascores are a thing.
If the content that is currently censored is reason enough for reviewers to lower their scores, releasing the games uncensored IS going to create trouble.
I think companies prefer to release their games uncensored, players prefer to play their games uncensored and even reviewers would prefer to play games uncensored if given the option. So if reviewers are giving lower scores to the best version of a game, it´s the reviewers who should be in trouble

Ozzie666

It's sadly beconing the biggest and most profitable con in history for consultants and similar type companies. Screw the developers. If they keep falling for it and go belly-up that's on them.
Create and influence a problem into existence, then create solution to profit. Body 1 and Body 2, it's still the same thing really, we know what they mean.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
They are speaking out which is good but the games is still altered. Nothing they just said removes the changes. They can easily give us the unaltered version on PC! Come-on.

samoilaaa

I just hope that in 10 years time we'll all be looking back to this era as the clown age of the gaming industry and its "journalism".

Oh, how we'll laugh and laugh.
im afraid that normality will become the minority and we will cry instead of laughing , as long as they keep making money from this it wont stop

just at how many games that support lgbtq+ sold over 10 million copies , you think they are gonna stop ?

Then just ignore America like the rest of the world is trying to do. They are suffering a cultural and intellectual breakdown, let them not take us with them.
Not a chance, the US effectively controls your whole view of the world already, super efficiently and silently because you've decided you need smartphones, Microsoft products and social media in your life. If the US gets infected with this stuff, at least the rest of the collective west goes down as well. Instead of following the Swiss model where power and resources are distributed to smaller, regional units for maximum independence and flexibility, we've been building a gargantuan, centralized digital bureaucracy which makes us very vulnerable.

ByWatterson

Bro are you actually serious with this

Who censors what? Who censored here?

Censoring is generally considered a third party - and normally government - activity.

Who censors us in the United States? Did the ESRB force this? Sweet Baby? The Commerce Department? The courts? Congress?

Does this board have any clue how First Amendment law works?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What does Era think about this?

It must be one hell of an internal battle knowing Japanese devs are just like "WTF is wrong with you all over there?"

sigmaZ

Yuji Horii address the type one and type two thing towards the end, but the first guy is actually referring more to western religious values and how it has always had to be catered to and not necessarily woke stuff specifically. It's kind of interesting though, that "woke" ideology and puritan values have overlapped in some ways.

FewRope

Censoring is generally considered a third party - and normally government - activity.

Who censors us in the United States? Did the ESRB force this? Sweet Baby? The Commerce Department? The courts? Congress?

Just search 20 years of censorship of children cartoons in your country man, I'm not even american and I know about it wtf

MMaRsu

Dead Rising 'Remaster' is censored, for one.

Top Bottom