• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Isla can really chain some works of art together. I've also found I can work with Doric to get a lot of damage in be leveraging his Deliverance first to gather enemies up so she can flamebird them all, then use her woosh for quick crowd control in another direction. The strategy is simple but satisfying.

Should I stop using these slime weapons? I can't even notice if Healix is helping.

I thought Doric was shit, but he's actually a great support character. His Jumping Charge has a great hitbox to catch shield dudes. That tension building buff can be used while in tension mode, buffing the whole party and setting them up for their tension attacks. If you put enough skill points in his defense, he's a great tank, and is probably the best person to use to throw out monsters if surrounded.

Also, his ice attack seems to freeze quite a bit on big guys.

All of the characters have these little quirks that make them so different.

FHIZ

Good god, is there a way to disable DS4 speaker in this game? It's yet another one that is unplayable with headphones because any audio meant for the DS4 just BLASTS the headphones.

ChanMan

Who did everyone chose at the beginning, I really like the way Aurora looks plus it is the name I chose for my sorceress in the Dragon's Crown. Luceus design is okay but I am hearing that his character is annoying.

FHIZ

I don't have that problem with headphones

Really? I'm using the Sony gold wireless headset and like a bunch of other games any audio meant for the speaker is at max level despite what the headphones are set at. The weird part is that the dialogue going to the DS4 speaker is in the regular TV speaker audio too.

The more I play this and the more I listen to dialogue coming out of both my center channel and the DS4, I'm starting to think something is really not right here. It's either have my ears destroyed with headphones or play on low volume in an effort not to wake anyone and have this weird echo with the voices coming from two sources. This sucks.

Skulldead

Does the difficulty spike up at all much? I'm only a few hours in, and everything's been a breeze. Sure, I haven't stopped grinning the whole time, but still.

I am a veteran musou player, so that helps, but even still seems a bit on the easy side.

same 4 hour in, other then the
3 robot boss and the big green goblin
nothing really give me much a challenge, i destroy everything on my path...

Draxal

Who did everyone chose at the beginning, I really like the way Aurora looks plus it is the name I chose for my sorceress in the Dragon's Crown. Luceus design is okay but I am hearing that his character is annoying.

It's not really his char that's annoying, but the banter between Luceus and Aurora is really annoying me so far imho.

Good god, is there a way to disable DS4 speaker in this game? It's yet another one that is unplayable with headphones because any audio meant for the DS4 just BLASTS the headphones.

fuck, this was a huge problem in cod AW and Shadow of Mordor, but they had settings to turn the DS4 audio all the way down.

I will skip this if it is going to damage my hearing, i only use headphones.

This is a video I made of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewVI0DCjaU

FHIZ

fuck, this was a huge problem in cod AW and Shadow of Mordor, but they had settings to turn the DS4 audio all the way down.

I will skip this if it is going to damage my hearing, i only use headphones.

This is a video I made of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewVI0DCjaU

Jesus, didn't know Shadow of Mordor had the same issue, some of those noises would be straight up awful to have blasted in your ear.

I'm honestly surprised no one on the firmware team have realized that DS4 audio and headphones DO NOT mix. The fact that the option to turn down the DS4 audio is greyedout when using headphones is a giant oversight.

Jesus, didn't know Shadow of Mordor had the same issue, some of those noises would be straight up awful to have blasted in your ear.

I'm honestly surprised no one on the firmware team have realized that DS4 audio and headphones DO NOT mix. The fact that the option to turn down the DS4 audio is greyedout when using headphones is a giant oversight.

This video is with my phone sitting between the headphones. You can tell the difference in volume between normal game sounds and the special ability being activated and the rustling in the leaves.

raven777

Does the difficulty spike up at all much? I'm only a few hours in, and everything's been a breeze. Sure, I haven't stopped grinning the whole time, but still.

I am a veteran musou player, so that helps, but even still seems a bit on the easy side.

There is a point where it does spike up a little bit, but nothing significant.

Overall the game is not hard, especially for veteran musou player like you I would assume.

Somewhat interested in this game. Only ever played some Samurai Warriors as a kid and have been intending to jump into Dragon Quest someday, but have never gotten around to it. How good is this game for a beginner, and does it offer a decent story and gameplay beyond Samurai Warriors level. I seem to remember that being pretty barebones and dry.

A story with cut scenes, actual events, maybe new hubs between missions and lots of gameplay variety besides (kill all the monsters) is what I'm looking for here. Does the story even compare to the other Dragon Quest games', which I've heard are quite good? Does it seem maybe a prelude or test for the new one for PS4, 3DS and NX?

mintylurb

Played it about an hour or so. So far, not liking it as much as I thought I would. I know DQH isn't supposed to be your typical musou game but man coming from playing samurai warriors 4-II over the weekend, I can't get used to how slow this one plays.
Small stages ain't helping either. DQH has more noticeable frame drops than samurai warriors 4-II as well. And those jaggies..Granted SW4-II also lacks AA but it's more noticeable in DQH probably due to its colorful setting.
I really hope Omega force will at least use fxaa or smaa in their future games.

Cmagus

Somewhat interested in this game. Only ever played some Samurai Warriors as a kid and have been intending to jump into Dragon Quest someday, but have never gotten around to it. How good is this game for a beginner, and does it offer a decent story and gameplay beyond Samurai Warriors level. I seem to remember that being pretty barebones and dry.

A story with cut scenes, actual events, maybe new hubs between missions and lots of gameplay variety besides (kill all the monsters) is what I'm looking for here. Does the story even compare to the other Dragon Quest games', which I've heard are quite good? Does it seem maybe a prelude or test for the new one for PS4, 3DS and NX?

The game has a good story but don't expect a masterpiece in story telling. The story really is t comparable to the other DQ imo since those are huge robust jrpgs but this one keeps the charm and spirit of the Dragon Quest games and they were definitely going for a fun little title with some great series nods for the DQ fans.
The game features full voiced cutscenes and the game does have many events and some decent twists.

The game features several gameplay types like clear all enemies, tower defence like missions and boss fights which are a really good challenge of you decide to take on the hard mode bosses.

There is plenty of content here for a 35-45 hour game and if you go for all the trophies then it provides a good challenge.

Man, hearing Healix's voice for the first time is terrifying; I was not expecting that. Sounded like what you'd expect a possessed child to sound like in a horror movie.

I couldnt stop laughing at it for a bit. I can't tell if I've gotten used to it or if the VA lowers the pitch a bit after the first couple scenes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Played it about an hour or so. So far, not liking it as much as I thought I would. I know DQH isn't supposed to be your typical musou game but man coming from playing samurai warriors 4-II over the weekend, I can't get used to how slow this one plays.
Small stages ain't helping either. DQH has more noticeable frame drops than samurai warriors 4-II as well. And those jaggies..Granted SW4-II also lacks AA but it's more noticeable in DQH probably due to its colorful setting.

You should try going from Sumeragi to this

Whoof

DeVeAn

I loved Hyrule Warriors and really like DQ. I don't like the story AT ALL. The frame rate is killing this for me. How is a game like MGSV 60 all day and this it choppy with the camera? Also not being able to run drives me crazy.

Cmagus

I couldnt stop laughing at it for a bit. I can't tell if I've gotten used to it or if the VA lowers the pitch a bit after the first couple scenes.
He's just excited to be on such a slooper dooper quest. I agree though coming off the JP version when he first talked I was not expecting his voice to be like that.

Delio

I picked Aurora cause the guy was just bothering me. I actually hate the banter between both main characters tho so meh lol.

Really? I'm using the Sony gold wireless headset and like a bunch of other games any audio meant for the speaker is at max level despite what the headphones are set at. The weird part is that the dialogue going to the DS4 speaker is in the regular TV speaker audio too.

The more I play this and the more I listen to dialogue coming out of both my center channel and the DS4, I'm starting to think something is really not right here. It's either have my ears destroyed with headphones or play on low volume in an effort not to wake anyone andhave this weird echo with the voices coming from two sources. This sucks.
Using Golds too. I haven't had any issues with the audio.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Give it a try, based on your questions Heroes hits a lot of right notes

You should try going from Sumeragi to this

Whoof

I keep having to remind myself that you can't tag in people at the same spot and continue combos.

Yeah, this game isn't hard, especially if you've gotten acquainted with DW's map managing style gameplay. The biggest spikes come from not being able to protect your shit properly. I've been on a few maps and quests where it was down to the wire because my placement was off with the monsters.

You might die during some boss battles, but my losses have come from not defending my "towers", as it were. If you do the quests as they come up and keep all characters on the level while using the monsters effectively, you probably won't have too much trouble with straight up battles though.

Right now, I'm at the
World Tree
. How much longer do I have to go before the end? I'm ready for that New Game+ difficulty bump (or so I've been told).

Just got the airship. Things are slowly opening up now. What is everyones team going to be?

I'm doing a Fighter/Tank/Spellcaster/Ranged or Fist build. That usually covers all my bases, but then again I'm trying to keep everyone leveled.

What happens with the guys you leave out of your party? Do they still grow?

No. If you want to buff them up quick, take them on a recent map, build up some tension, and let them mop up a crowd or two. There's also EXP buffing items.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got it digitally. I haven't really had a game like this in a while. I played a few Dynasty Warriors and a little of the F2P model on PS4, but my last was probably Dynasty Warriors Gundam on PS3.

I like the look, story is very simple to get, and the monsters are great.

I'd say some slow downs with smaller enemies, but it picks up as long as you progress. I had to do some side stuff because I still have like 6 GB left to download, so I can't do more of the main game yet. I can see why some wouldn't like the pacing if they weren't into Dragon Quest. I enjoy the games, so seeing the monsters has been good.

Some skirmishes at the beginning were somewhat tedious, but that's what you get. DW Gundam was that way.

Some of them are mobs and some shouldn't even have the title of MOB
...more like a scant or a brisk group has appeared

crinale

Actually people who is left out from your party DO grow, so don't worry about it too much.
It is just 4 people you decide to control will grow faster.
(people left out from battle will gain half of exp).

The game has a good story but don't expect a masterpiece in story telling. The story really is t comparable to the other DQ imo since those are huge robust jrpgs but this one keeps the charm and spirit of the Dragon Quest games and they were definitely going for a fun little title with some great series nods for the DQ fans.
The game features full voiced cutscenes and the game does have many events and some decent twists.

The game features several gameplay types like clear all enemies, tower defence like missions and boss fights which are a really good challenge of you decide to take on the hard mode bosses.

There is plenty of content here for a 35-45 hour game and if you go for all the trophies then it provides a good challenge.

Give it a try, based on your questions Heroes hits a lot of right notes

Thanks for the answers! One question I'd still like to ask is if there is any exploration element in this game or whether everything is in the usual Dynasty Warriors battle map system where its all a big box. And I guess also if Inuhanyou could clarify what in particular the game does right based on my questions that'd be awesome! Oh and how is the dialogue, and are the characters fleshed out or at least very fun to be around? Usually for me with JRPGs the characters and dialogue hold up the story experience if the actual events are somewhat standard.

Thanks!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Thanks for the answers! One question I'd still like to ask is if there is any exploration element in this game or whether everything is in the usual Dynasty Warriors battle map system where its all a big box. And I guess also if Inuhanyou could clarify what in particular the game does right based on my questions that'd be awesome! Oh and how is the dialogue, and are the characters fleshed out or at least very fun to be around? Usually for me with JRPGs the characters and dialogue hold up the story experience if the actual events are somewhat standard.

Thanks!

It has cutscenes, a decent if straightforward story, dialogue, different mission structures and a hub in between missions. All the characters have their own unique quirks as well

Apt101

Just got the airship. Things are slowly opening up now. What is everyones team going to be?

I'm still too early in to give a good answer, but I think I am going to keep Kiryl in the party for bosses. That defense buff helps a great deal when it's leveled.

Played a shit load of this game tonight. My thoughts so far.

Main character is a boring tool. Him running around as dq3 hero costume is cool though
Terry is awesome.
Gameplay is mindless but fun.
Surprising amount of character customization.
Weird how there is a special slot for alternate costumes. As far as I know, only a few characters have alternate costumes.
Hub is nice
Defense objectives aren't my thing
Monster models are fantastic. Character models have a weird plastic look though.

bigmac996

To those that own the game, is it worth getting if I absolutely despise anything tower defence-like? I'm a pretty big DQ fan, somewhat enjoyed Samurai Warriors back in the day.

That's good to know about the other characters getting EXP even if I'm not using them. Means I don't have to keep switching!

To those that own the game, is it worth getting if I absolutely despise anything tower defence-like? I'm a pretty big DQ fan, somewhat enjoyed Samurai Warriors back in the day.

Well, SW was a Babysitter Simulator, so if you didn't mind that, you won't mind this.

It's not really full on tower defense? You have these zones or things you have to protect, and you do so by taking out these guards at the gates that respawn enemies. You don't really upgrade or build things to protect it - you just kinda figure out the best way to fight stuff without your shit getting wrecked. The most you do interacting with your base is setting down monsters in different areas of your choice to fight for you.

That in and of itself is as deep as it gets for the tower defense thing, even if it's integral to your success. If you live by a Best Buy, they might still have the demo, but I'm not sure if it carries a TD style map.

If it makes you feel any better, TD stuff makes me cringe, but I'm addicted to this game. It helps that I'm not constantly running to a menu and instead just beating the shit out of stuff.

bigmac996

That's good to know about the other characters getting EXP even if I'm not using them. Means I don't have to keep switching!

Well, SW was a Babysitter Simulator, so if you didn't mind that, you won't mind this.

It's not really full on tower defense? You have these zones or things you have to protect, and you do so by taking out these guards at the gates that respawn enemies. You don't really upgrade or build things to protect it - you just kinda figure out the best way to fight stuff without your shit getting wrecked. The most you do interacting with your base is setting down monsters in different areas of your choice to fight for you.

That in and of itself is as deep as it gets for the tower defense thing, even if it's integral to your success. If you live by a Best Buy, they might still have the demo, but I'm not sure if it carries a TD style map.

If it makes you feel any better, TD stuff makes me cringe, but I'm addicted to this game. It helps that I'm not constantly running to a menu and instead just beating the shit out of stuff.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply man. Made up my mind, gonna pick it up tomorrow.

Lynx_7

No copies available where I live yet. I should've known this would be the case with a niche japanese title *sigh*

ChanMan

The story is pretty straightforward and simple but I am not finding any issue with the banter between the two main characters. It seems like the standard JRPG best male and female friends dialogue. I will say I am early on but if it is the same throughout the rest of the game then I have no issue with it, then again I am not really expecting much from the story.

antitrop

This game is a blast, this might be the one that finally gets me into Musous and I've been trying since the PS2.

Healix is too fucking adorable.

ChanMan

This game is a blast, this might be the one that finally gets me into Musous and I've been trying since the PS2.

Healix is too fucking adorable.

It's definitely one of the better Musou games even though I still enjoy DW 8 from time to time. The only thing I have to get use to is the speed, seems slower than most Musou games.

antitrop

It's definitely one of the better Musou games even though I still enjoy DW 8 from time to time. The only thing I have to get use to is the speed, seems slower than most Musou games.

I picked up DW8: XL pretty cheap during a sale at the end of last year, but uninstalled it after a few hours. Might give it another shot some time next year when I'm in the mood for something like this, we'll see.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Enjoying this game a lot.

The question is:

Why isn't there Final Fantasy Heroes?

Mik317

Played the tutorial.

This production values are really good here. The Graphics pop. the VA is great, the music is good and it runs well. I also like the two protags based off of the 20 minutes I played it, not what I expected by just looking at them. I like the already running gag of "fuck yo plans".

Glad I bought it

Anyone in the UK had their order ship from the SE store yet? Not really sure how reliable they are but would hope for it to be dispatched today at least.

Top Bottom