• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Aru

Dissidia Final Fantasy is another collaboration between SE and KT.

I hope the PS4 version of Dissidia has a story mode at least as good as in the previous entries. No story mode would be a deal breaker for me.
But Final Fantasy Heroes could still happen after that.

I hope the PS4 version of Dissidia has a story mode at least as good as in the previous entries. No story mode would be a deal breaker for me.
But Final Fantasy Heroes could still happen after that.

Final Fantasy Heroes could be a dream for me. Magic/Summon/Job systems? Lots of mechanics can be mixed into musou genre.

Wallach

So do we know what the collector's edition maps are? Are they worth it? do they suck? I need to know!

I'm curious how they work too. Are they repeatable? I just got the Stonecloud so everything up to now has been a linear progression so I haven't had any control over what mission I'm doing.

Game seems like a pretty solid and simple beat-em-up so far. The controls are pretty sharp, outside of the jumping (which so far thankfully has not proven important to combat). Moves seem to transition into each other very well. It looks like the dodge roll doesn't have much of any invincibility to it, but reading the skills it seems like you might be able to upgrade that window with skill points. The only thing combat-wise I'm not fond of is the block, which feels like it takes too long to actually activate; I would have preferred if the block was immediate and the camera re-centering was the binding that required holding the button down a bit longer to trigger.

For those that got burned on the pre-order thing, I did get the "Slime" version of the game, and the weapon set that came with it is really only useful for the initial set of missions. Wouldn't worry about it too much as I already need to get rid of them (though I understand the cause for frustration there).

Couple questions: are "costumes" things you can earn in the game, or are those also pre-order type bonuses from someplace? Also, I only messed around with the character switching in the last couple battles; will the AI use their Tension or magic while they are controlling the other characters, or do I need to swap to them to use their Tension and cast things like buffs manually? I found it a little awkward at first since the swap order seems like a one direction round robin kind of thing, and a few times I accidentally went one character past who I meant to and had to quickly rotate back through all of them.

Game seems like a pretty solid and simple beat-em-up so far. The controls are pretty sharp, outside of the jumping (which so far thankfully has not proven important to combat). Moves seem to transition into each other very well. It looks like the dodge roll doesn't have much of any invincibility to it, but reading the skills it seems like you might be able to upgrade that window with skill points. The only thing combat-wise I'm not fond of is the block, which feels like it takes too long to actually activate; I would have preferred if the block was immediate and the camera re-centering was the binding that required holding the button down a bit longer to trigger.

The good thing about the weird jumping is that you can do it right after most attacks and transition out of stuff. It helps when dealing with shield dudes or just wanting to end a string. It's kinda like DW's.

And yeah, the block is sort of ass. They want you to learn the dodging and use block as a last resort. Parrying helps, but I haven't been able to do it reliably.

4 hours in, the game is exactly what I expected.

Action RPG with simple gameplay but tons of DQ mechanics.

The dub is incredibly good except for Healix.

Picked up Aurora and don't regret, Luceus is such a boring dude.

Got Doric, Alena and Terry on my team.

There's something that bugs me: the lock-on should work better and the camera position is too close to the character.

Impulsor

I'm curious how they work too. Are they repeatable? I just got the Stonecloud so everything up to now has been a linear progression so I haven't had any control over what mission I'm doing.

For those that got burned on the pre-order thing, I did get the "Slime" version of the game, and the weapon set that came with it is really only useful for the initial set of missions. Wouldn't worry about it too much as I already need to get rid of them (though I understand the cause for frustration there).

Couple questions: are "costumes" things you can earn in the game, or are those also pre-order type bonuses from someplace? Also, I only messed around with the character switching in the last couple battles; will the AI use their Tension or magic while they are controlling the other characters, or do I need to swap to them to use their Tension and cast things like buffs manually? I found it a little awkward at first since the swap order seems like a one direction round robin kind of thing, and a few times I accidentally went one character past who I meant to and had to quickly rotate back through all of them.
I'll be able to tell you in a couple days, I finally bit the bullet with the collector's edition.

Wallach

The good thing about the weird jumping is that you can do it right after most attacks and transition out of stuff. It helps when dealing with shield dudes or just wanting to end a string. It's kinda like DW's.

And yeah, the block is sort of ass. They want you to learn the dodging and use block as a last resort. Parrying helps, but I haven't been able to do it reliably.

Yeah, it seems like they let you buffer pretty much anything together. Like my general "clear stuff" pattern on Luceus is something like Tr, Sq, Sq, Sq, Tr, R1+Sq, dodge.

Seems like the skill bonuses that extend the Tension meter will be pretty powerful. Wish we had some way to set commands on the AI dudes so I could make Doric keep Vimstone up regularly without needing to switch to him. I'm contemplating just controlling him most of the time to do so. He's pretty bad ass anyway.

Aru

Final Fantasy Heroes could be a dream for me. Magic/Summon/Job systems? Lots of mechanics can be mixed into musou genre.

I think either the Musou or Monster Hunter formula would work with the Final Fantasy IP. Hell, even some kind of First Person Action game with magic/sword fighting in the Final Fantasy Universe could be a blast! Imagine those big summons/monsters you'd have to fight with magic spells/bullets and weapons!

Any of these would be my dream FF game :)

Klossen

Banned
I can't seem to even find DQ Heroes on the European PS Store through the PS4. What's the deal with that? It's not listed in new/upcoming games either.

Dizzy-4U

Played it for about 40 minutes and I'm enjoying it.

Question: Do you get a skill or something that gives you a second running speed? Kinda strange that they apparently left that out considering that almost every other musou game have it. Maybe the maps aren't that big to justify it? I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Yeah, it seems like they let you buffer pretty much anything together. Like my general "clear stuff" pattern on Luceus is something like Tr, Sq, Sq, Sq, Tr, R1+Sq, dodge.

Seems like the skill bonuses that extend the Tension meter will be pretty powerful. Wish we had some way to set commands on the AI dudes so I could make Doric keep Vimstone up regularly without needing to switch to him. I'm contemplating just controlling him most of the time to do so. He's pretty bad ass anyway.

Yeah, he's fantastic. Like I said on the other page, he can buff the whole party's tension, and then when he hits tension, keep buffing them again and set up a big old tension rush. Plus, he tanks very well, has a great hitbox on his jumping Tr, and can draw enemies together with his black hole. Definitely a great support character that can hold his own.

Played it for about 40 minutes and I'm enjoying it.

Question: Do you get a skill or something that gives you a second running speed? Kinda strange that they apparently left that out considering that almost every other musou game have it. Maybe the maps aren't that big to justify it? I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Nope. You do get something that allows you to warp across the map in some of the bigger areas, but using shortcuts is basically the best it's ever going to be.

After a good 2 hours of playing I've got to say I am loving the game. Really enjoying the english dub and don't mind the voices coming out my controller oh and Healix voice haters are literally anti-fun and anti-cute.

Combat feels very solid and my only real compliant about it at this time is how stiff the jumping is, but since it really is not a major part of general combat I'm able to look past it.

Dizzy-4U

Nope. You do get something that allows you to warp across the map in some of the bigger areas, but using shortcuts is basically the best it's ever going to be.

Ah, bummer. Kinda tough to adjust to the speed considering I'm coming from Warriors 4 and One Piece. Whatever, I'll forget about it in a few sessions.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just got done playing for 7 hours straight x.x/ Got a really solid grasp on the game now though :D

I saw you do the flaming tornados of doom lol. Thought that was a pretty cool hidden extra they put in the game. As dont recall them actually telling the player they can do that.

Ah, bummer. Kinda tough to adjust to the speed considering I'm coming from Warriors 4 and One Piece. Whatever, I'll forget about it in a few sessions.

Warriors 4's speed is almost too much though. I swear I spent half the game dashing across the map just using the triangle attack.

Klossen

Banned
It's coming out on Friday in Europe. I guess there wasn't a preorder option in Europe?

Really absurd how the game isn't on the European PS Store at all though. I can find it on the US Store but not the European one. Especially considering the US Store being able to preload it.

Skulldead

So i just got the slime limited edition code by email, does it give the 6 remaining weapon + 2 maps ? I suppose the other 5 slime weapon are the code in the box ?

Kaibutsu

wow, i must say i'm really impressed. I enjoy the musou games but this one is surprisingly deep. I feel comfortable in recommending this to even those that don't like the dynasty warrior type games.

My copy is in the post. Should hopefully be here tomorrow - typically I'm not in the office, but I'll try to pop in on the way home from the meeting to pick it up.

So i just got the slime limited edition code by email, does it give the 6 remaining weapon + 2 maps ? I suppose the other 5 slime weapon are the code in the box ?
Physical and digital version ? Thanks square. Ce wins
But I wouldnt have opened my ce if I knew lol
Edit... Oh its not the full game but preorder code? Boo.

B-Dex

PS Blog removed all the comments complaining about pre orders getting screwed from the store update post. LOL.

Wereroku

No that's just for the DQ3 costumes. The codes for the extra weapons and maps are all in the box.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
this make me want to use her more.

Thats like the only special thing she can do with combining skills though. At least have not found anything else when I tried.

Its a pretty amusing combo though lol. Looks badass if anything.

Bolivar687

Banned
Had a lot of fun with the first few missions last night. It really feels like a Dragon Quest game. Someone with a Japanese copy compared it to Diablo and I think that's spot on. It's Musou like with the waves of enemies that go down quick but when one of the bigger/harder monsters come out you need to balance hitting them and then taking out the others to get health back.

I'm not in love with the dub, I'm considering playing Japanese but I wanna hear Yangus and Jessica first. Healix is just unacceptable.

Wallach

So I had 4 maps get added to the world map thing, and I'm not sure which two were the bonus content maps. One of them was the one I got from the postmaster, so that probably is not one of them (and was just a big field full of slimes which seemed kind of pointless other than maybe some kind of ingredient farm). The other three were:

- A fight with a behemoth
- A fight with a dragon
- Things for a ring

The last one I tried and was a pretty simple map with like like 4 treasure chests guarded by golems (along with a ton of other low level stuff), after which you get 3 more free treasure chests.

Both the slime map and the ring map stayed on the world map after I did them, so I guess you can farm them repeatedly for loot and whatnot. Haven't yet tried the dragon or behemoth yet, going to do so now before I continue the story.

Ravage

Has anyone managed to trigger Luceus/Aurora's rebuttal skill? Would like to know the timing to activate the stun.

Wallach

Okay, so the dragon/behemoth maps were basically repeats of the first two boss fights, both of which awarded another map that I can't yet access (must need to either advance the story or be a higher level).

Seems like you can do any of them repeatedly so I guess just do them whenever you want.

Too bad this isn't on Redbox...

Anyone think they won't release Builders stateside if Heroes does poorly?

i'm sure it'll be released if they manage to sell out of the CE. which is a good sign at least on taht side. and builder is basically minecraft like. they'd be dumb not to release it lol.

B-Dex

I actually don't mind doing the quests because the combat is fun. Plus because of it I already have materials for half the new quests that appear.

Brick

I've put about 2 hours into this so far. I normally don't really care for musou games, but I like JRPGs enough to give this a shot (Played a bit of DQ8 back in the day, but that's about the extent of my knowledge with the series). I have to say that I am really impressed with this game. The combat is simple, but feels really good. The RPG elements really add to me caring about my character's progression. The map objectives (so far) seem really varied. I'm really looking forward to putting more time into it over the weekend.

bluedawgs

Banned
I have the Japanese version of the game because my friend was nice enough to snag me a copy when he was in Japan. The music is great, the gameplay is fun, the frame rate is solid, the graphics are nice, the environments are cool, the enemys are cool, i just can't understand the dialogue. So i'm double dipping (technically single dipping since my friend bought it for me) and getting the United States version soon.

antitrop

After going through both Uncharted 1 and 2 in a matter of days, this game is the perfect palate cleanser before I take on Uncharted 3.

TheGrue

Any word on whether people who pre-ordered before the digital slime edition went up will be able to get the weapons for a $5 upgrade?

Top Bottom