• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Did anyone else order from the S-E store? I don't know where my DQ3 costume DLC codes are. D:

edit: okay I think I had to log into my S-E member account and "unlock my activation" under "view" in my shipping history. Christ.

LOL I did and I didn't even notice the costume was included, just found it on my download section of the receipt though, TY

ChanMan

Decided to buy it from Best Buy, not sure when I'll get to play it for an extensive amount of time but I enjoy reading the impressions. Hopefully people still enjoy it after the new game phase wears off.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What is this horseshit? There is a new bundle that has all slime weapons and extra maps on day 1 that us kind pre-order folk had no access to?

Man, hearing Healix's voice for the first time is terrifying; I was not expecting that. Sounded like what you'd expect a possessed child to sound like in a horror movie.

Apt101

Gaffers on the fence, this game is legit. I was merely hoping it would good but wow, this shit is terrific. Maybe that opinion will soften when I dig deeper but so far it has good gameplay, wonderful art, whimsical characters and setting, and charm. I hope it remains this good.

Cmagus

Gaffers on the fence, this game is legit. I was merely hoping it would good but wow, this shit is terrific. Maybe that opinion will soften when I dig deeper but so far it has good gameplay, wonderful art, whimsical characters and setting, and charm. I hope it remains this good.

Seems like alot of people are enjoying it which is goo (slurp) I really hope the numbers are good for this game and we can get more coming here in the future.

DeVeAn

Aw fuck this shady tatic. I pre purchased hours before release and now I miss out on content through a post release bundle? Very fucked up. Who is responsible?

Shahed

Okay this 30 Inventory limit is doing my absolute head in. Is there a stash or a way to increase it? Because the constant selling of ingredients I might need is kinda pissing me off. Heck if it continues I may even find it game breaking, which would be the stupidest reason to abandon a game. But it's annoying me that much

Aeana

Okay this 30 Inventory limit is doing my absolute head in. Is there a stash or a way to increase it? Because the constant selling of ingredients I might need is kinda pissing me off. Ueck if it continues I may even find it game breaking, which would be the stupidest reason to abandon a game. But it's annoying me that much

You can increase the limit through questing.

Shahed

You can increase the limit through questing.
Kind of like Isla's quests increasing monster medal space? Thank god for that. Is it a random quest or will I have an idea by who is requesting it? Don't really want to farm Imps or whatever at this point.

Glassboy

Kind of like Isla's quests increasing monster medal space? Thank god for that. Is it a random quest or will I have an idea by who is requesting it? Don't really want to farm Imps or whatever at this point.
Yeah I already hit a limit on my items but I am not sure what to sell. Anybody know what is common and what is rare?

TheGrue

Chalk me up as another GAFfer with positive thoughts on this game. I've never been a Musou gamer before, but if they keep making them like this and the Zelda one, consider me a fan for life. It's just so damn colorful and full of joy.

DeVeAn

So just want to chime in on the frame rate. It does stutter in the camp and when rotating the camera. Not a stable 60. I notice it.

Just pointing it out since OP states it's a solid 60😜

Apt101

I got two maps with my collector's edition - people are saying there's new ones already? Im not upset if there is, but I do hope they're kind enough to pass them forward to the pre-orderers (hah).

crinale

So just want to chime in on the frame rate. It does stutter in the camp and when rotating the camera. Not a stable 60. I notice it.

Just pointing it out since OP states it's a solid 60😜

TBF camp seem to be the area that requires heaviest processing power (I don't know why). Go outside and you'll notice framerate is quite constant unless you have bunch of enemies.

DeVeAn

TBF camp seem to be the area that requires heaviest processing power (I don't know why). Go outside and you'll notice framerate is quite constant unless you have bunch of enemies.
Don't give me wrong it's not unbearable. So far it seems if I up the camera speed to five it's less noticeable when rotating the camera.

Hugstable

Banned
I've been seeing now some saying that this game ISN"T like Hyrule Warriors/Musou, and now I'm wondering what's different? I'm not a fan of that type of gameplay going from fort to fort on a map that I can barely make out due to shitloads of different colored dots so I can never make out where I'm supposed to go on the maps. Is this game much different than that? I'm a huge DQ fan, but I know that I can't enjoy Musou games like that, but if it's a alot different I would wanna pick this up.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I just played for about two hours. The game looks great, really digging the artstyle. I also quite like the gameplay, I was expecting that this kind of gameplay would be repetitive, but they keep introducing new things during the game. Gameplay wise they made some good decisions and have a good feeling it will stay fun untill the end.

I however have one big complaint. How incredibly, terribly bad is the story??? The story is really shallow, corny and absolutely not interesting. The game tells you the story like were 8-year old kids.

I really like a decent story in the game and I am really forgiving when it comes to stories, but what we get in DQH is just so bad... The biggest problem is not actually that the story is bad, but the fact the story is quite important for the game if you look at how much dialog you get. We get a lot of dialog and some great looking CGI cutscenes, but it's all so shallow. Really dissapointed in this because I always liked square-enix because of their stories. This however is a story that I could have wrote in one hour.

Is it possible to buy $5 PSN codes? I am based in Australia and want to buy the US Slime bundle for the $64.99. I can easily buy $60 of store credit, but I don't want to stretch my budget much further with another $10 minimum credit, given the weak Australian dollar.

Does the difficulty spike up at all much? I'm only a few hours in, and everything's been a breeze. Sure, I haven't stopped grinning the whole time, but still.

I am a veteran musou player, so that helps, but even still seems a bit on the easy side.

Arkeband

Banned
So I just played for about two hours. The game looks great, really digging the artstyle. I also quite like the gameplay, I was expecting that this kind of gameplay would be repetitive, but they keep introducing new things during the game. Gameplay wise they made some good decisions and have a good feeling it will stay fun untill the end.

I however have one big complaint. How incredibly, terribly bad is the story??? The story is really shallow, corny and absolutely not interesting. The game tells you the story like were 8-year old kids.

I really like a decent story in the game and I am really forgiving when it comes to stories, but what we get in DQH is just so bad... The biggest problem is not actually that the story is bad, but the fact the story is quite important for the game if you look at how much dialog you get. We get a lot of dialog and some great looking CGI cutscenes, but it's all so shallow. Really dissapointed in this because I always liked square-enix because of their stories. This however is a story that I could have wrote in one hour.

On one hand you have Final Fantasy which is often so convoluted it needs data logs.

On the other hand you have DQ in which the first thing that happens is you're almost eaten alive by possessed emojis.

(This is also a spinoff, musou-like games never have complex stories)

Bastion

I've been seeing now some saying that this game ISN"T like Hyrule Warriors/Musou, and now I'm wondering what's different? I'm not a fan of that type of gameplay going from fort to fort on a map that I can barely make out due to shitloads of different colored dots so I can never make out where I'm supposed to go on the maps. Is this game much different than that? I'm a huge DQ fan, but I know that I can't enjoy Musou games like that, but if it's a alot different I would wanna pick this up.

This is exactly what I am wondering as well.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
On one hand you have Final Fantasy which is often so convoluted it needs data logs.

On the other hand you have DQ in which the first thing that happens is you're almost eaten alive by possessed emojis.

(This is also a spinoff, musou-like games never have complex stories)
I rather have a convoluted mess as this. I didn't expect a complex story, but it did hope it would actially be a little bit interesting. The game tells the story all the time in a way that only young kids would like it.

You can't say you are actually enjoying the story are you?

This game is very defensive, both in objectives and boss encounters. Bosses have attack patterns that you have to watch out for and keep track of while also trying to guard objectives and disabling spawn points. While not as punishing or intense, these attacks require you to dodge and block frequently, not unlike you would in a Souls/MonHun/MMO game, which I find helps to keep combat engaging from moment to moment, unlike in a typical Musou game, where bosses are essentially bulletsponges, for lack of a better term.

There's just a lot to keep track of and consider while you're out in battle, unlike in other Musou games, where it's basically a race to mash combos until nobody is left standing. I feel like I genuinely have to use my brain while playing this game (even if it's not the most taxing thing ever).

I think I'm 1/4 of the way. Or maybe half. I'm not sure. I was off today so I've been playing it all damn day.

I'm disgusting.

Anyway, here is a list of tips.

- You CAN combo with your partners, sort of. If you start a spell, you can switch to another character while the first completes it. This helps with bosses when they get into the stunned position.

- Speaking of bosses, in this game more than any musou title, status effects matter. Use electric attacks on mecha enemies, use slow to slow down monsters, fire on water characters, etc. It all works here, and in some cases, will make your life much easier.

- Weakpoints also matter. So hit the heads and tails. Or eyes. Or whatever.

- Specialize your characters when you start out. I have a tank, a buff/debuffing person, damage dealer, and ranged person on my team. This usually helps me through some of the harder fights. You don't have to be exact, just good enough to have some general jobs befitting of each character.

- Dodge. DODGE. FUCKING DODGE. Learn your character and where he or she can get hit during stuff and DODGE. I cannot stress this enough.

- Monsters usually come out with an attack and then get to work. Use those to cover your ass.

- The green goblin thingies do A LOT of damage to both you and enemies. They will knock your "tower" down easily. Think of them as grenades.

- Prioritize your kills. I usually aim for a Golem, and then drop him at portal and let him go. Or save up a bunch of Golems and let them chill out at the defensive point.

DeVeAn

Anyway for instant text? The sound drives me crazy. I want to skip the story as its not interesting at all. I just want to slice monsters up.

Trago

Just bought the game to support Dragon Quest on consoles! Hell yes.....I don't have a PS4 tho.

I guess I can admire the box art. Personally, I would have preferred if they went with 2d art instead of 3d renders.

:p

Reveirg

For the "collect all x" trophies, do I need to keep 1 of each weapons/armors/etc. in my inventory until the trophy unlocks?

Anything else specific I should look out for as I play through the game?

Lucentto

Banned
I played this for about an hour today, I like this game a lot more than I ever thought I would. Considering I have never played a Dragon Quest game and I generally don't like Musou games. Good job TK.

Apt101

Isla can really chain some works of art together. I've also found I can work with Doric to get a lot of damage in be leveraging his Deliverance first to gather enemies up so she can flamebird them all, then use her woosh for quick crowd control in another direction. The strategy is simple but satisfying.

Should I stop using these slime weapons? I can't even notice if Healix is helping.

Top Bottom