• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

I think that's the point. Those who pick Luceus are trolled hard.

Superior Aurora is superior.

Thinking I'll restart since only a few missions in. He seriously just makes me cringe and whenever he talks I am just like....

129303943228.jpg

chalex010

Banned
It's going to be tough to get that trophy for getting all characters to level 50. I suppose I could set aside 30-45 min every other session to grind my underused characters, but ugh. This platinum will just be a long hike I guess. Good thing I really enjoy the gameplay.

I'm pretty sure the unused characters gain EXP at a reduced rate while they are idle, I've not used anyone outside of the initial 4 and everyone I've unlocked is in the low 20's now.

I'm convinced Alena is the best character to bring along for melee. She puts in work on her own, and when switching to her I'm able to flatten a huge mob of enemies in seconds.

Doric's effectiveness seems to be waning as the number of large enemies increases, but I still find him to be more useful than Kiryl.

It's going to be tough to get that trophy for getting all characters to level 50. I suppose I could set aside 30-45 min every other session to grind my underused characters, but ugh. This platinum will just be a long hike I guess. Good thing I really enjoy the gameplay.

Edit: I like Luceus's overconfidence and the dynamic between him and Aurora. In fact I like the dynamics between all of the characters.

Alena is great, but she needs to have that Divide active at all times. Plus her dodge isn't as effective as Terry's.

Doric is great if you use him as support. He's really meant to buff your tension and take on certain types of enemies. Oh, and draw in large groups. His normals don't seem all the effective but his specials/spells are good, and he has enough MP to burn through a bunch without being limited.

Kiryl, I just use spells all the time. His lighting attack has huge range, his whack when upgraded can level half a mob, and his running spear attack easily stuns. Plus, that defensive buff is damn near necessary for glass cannon people.

Apt101

I'm pretty sure the unused characters gain EXP at a reduced rate while they are idle, I've not used anyone outside of the initial 4 and everyone I've unlocked is in the low 20's now.

That's encouraging news. I'm only level 18 or 19 and didn't notice my idle characters gaining, but maybe I just missed it.

ghibli99

I haven't played a game like this since the PS2 days, so I'm looking forward to it. Just picked it up this afternoon! Haven't even cracked open Hyrule Warriors, but being a bigger DQ fan, I'm cool with playing this first.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
At what point in the game are skill points used? Am I missing something?

My primary 4 characters (Luceus, Terry, Alena, Kiryl) are all around level 27 and I'm at
the Yggdrasil tree level
but I still haven't figured out how to allocate skill points to my characters. At this point I have nearly 100 points to spend.

My primary 4 characters (Luceus, Terry, Alena, Kiryl) are all around level 27 and I'm at
the Yggdrasil tree level
but I still haven't figured out how to allocate skill points to my characters. At this point I have nearly 100 points to spend.
Hit options, go to misc, then hit allocate skill points. Only can be done in the hub.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hit options, go to misc, then hit allocate skill points. Only can be done in the hub.

Thanks, I figured I was missing something. I guess I just expected them to introduce that at some point.

Dude is about to get a massive buff on all his characters.

lol yep. I thought the game seemed kinda hard...

sensui-tomo

the Yggdrasil tree level

Duuuuude..... You have no idea what you've been missing on those characters if you havent allocated points.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Bout to start soon, somebody give me the run down in a few bullets as to why Aurora is boss choice.

Freezing stuff is super good.

Though it depends on what mage you want to use.

Jessica use luceus.

Isla use Aurora

Nera any

For story reasons Aurora is just a cooler character.

Freezing stuff is super good.

Though it depends on what mage you want to use.

Jessica use luceus.

Isla use Aurora

Nera any

I am a sucker for DQ8 characters, seems like Jessica is the only character that can heal using magic from what i can understand. Other than that why would I want to pair her with Luceus' fire magic? Can she perform freeze or daze spells?

Only 3 hours in and loving it but I have 2 big complaints. First off the characters voices all suck, and the maps are so small and short =\ I hope the map problem fixes itself with some progress though.

Has anyone read IGN's review? It's quite scathing and seems inconsistent with other reviews. The game was given a 6.2.

"Pointless Upgrade Path"

LMAO

That's how you define your characters, your moves, and get new skills.

Into the trash it goes.

Only 3 hours in and living it but I have 2 big complaints. First off the characters voices all suck, and the maps are so small and short =\ I hope the map problem fixes itself with some progress though.

DQH, for better or for worse, plays out like an RPG in some manners. The battles you fight are more like condensed random battles into one map. There are bigger maps, but for the most part, most of them are smaller than your average DW game.

Personally, I like the maps smaller, considering you have to rush back to protect things if you fuck up. Some of the maps have better design, like there's a maze style one as they march up the side. The ones where you just fight things are usually the worst.

"Pointless Upgrade Path"

LMAO

Into the trash it goes.

I haven't played it yet, it's not released here until tomorrow, but everything I've read here has made the upgrade trees seem crucial to creating a balanced team. Hardly pointless.

So, who are the stand out party members in everyones' opinions? And second to that, what should you spend skill points on for said characters?

So far I've just been sticking mostly to Terry, Alena, and Kiryl just because I like them the most. But Jessica seems like she'd be pretty worthwhile to have on the team...

Anyone else having issues with goo weapons dlc? I'm playing at Aurura and got all my goo weapons except for the main guy...luca or whatever his crazy name is.. Unless they share the same weapon and they only give you one of it which is on my character.. if so thats kinda dumb

Wallach

Anyone else having issues with goo weapons dlc? I'm playing at Aurura and got all my goo weapons except for the main guy...luca or whatever his crazy name is.. Unless they share the same weapon and they only give you one of it which is on my character.. if so thats kinda dumb

That's what it is. Wouldn't worry about it because you'll toss 'em real quick like.

So, who are the stand out party members in everyones' opinions? And second to that, what should you spend skill points on for said characters?

So far I've just been sticking mostly to Terry, Alena, and Kiryl just because I like them the most. But Jessica seems like she'd be pretty worthwhile to have on the team...

They all have their purpose. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I think Terry takes more work to get going, and Yangus isn't tank-y enough, but other than that it's pretty balanced.

I'm running Alena, Terry, Jessica, or Dorian, Alena, and Isla. Haven't really used the last two new ones but they seem like they are pretty good.

Probably me reading too much into the tone.

It's just annoying to see another review not care about the mechanics and just blaze through the game for a review. But ah, it's IGN, so it doesn't matter.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Please for the love of god patch run speed and pull the camera back.

pls.

Cmagus

Wow that IGN review is garbage. The upgrade tree is important and the comments on weapons, I guess he didn't bother to use any alchemy or actually achieve any of the good weapons and judging by his half assed review I'm pretty sure he didn't bother with any of the post game story or even attempted to fight the hard mode bosses.

The game doesn't end with the last mission and the credtis roll there is more after this sounds like he pushed out a half assed review because it's out and they are late with it. I'm sorry but the game is not the hardest in the world but the way he talks about it makes it seem like the whole thing is a cake walk which it isn't.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I am a sucker for DQ8 characters, seems like Jessica is the only character that can heal using magic from what i can understand. Other than that why would I want to pair her with Luceus' fire magic? Can she perform freeze or daze spells?

Yeah Jessica has Ice magic as her main spell

AgeEighty

Has anyone read IGN's review? It's quite scathing and seems inconsistent with other reviews. The game was given a 6.2.

It was written by Tom McShea. He's one of the most notoriously unskilled reviewers in gaming media. Almost every one of his reviews contains at least one statement about the game in question that's verifiably untrue.

AgeEighty

It's just annoying to see another review not care about the mechanics and just blaze through the game for a review. But ah, it's IGN, so it doesn't matter.

Of course it matters. IGN has a huge readership, and at a glance I can see several comments on the review to the effect of "Sad to hear this isn't a good game; guess I won't buy it now." DQ is a franchise that can ill afford unfairly bad reviews from sleepwalking reviewers in major publications.

Is it too much to hope for a 30FPS lock?

The fluctuating FPS is my only annoyance with a game that I've otherwise enjoyed greatly so far.

Apt101

"Pointless Upgrade Path"

LMAO

Into the trash it goes.

DQH, for better or for worse, plays out like an RPG in some manners. The battles you fight are more like condensed random battles into one map. There are bigger maps, but for the most part, most of them are smaller than your average DW game.

Personally, I like the maps smaller, considering you have to rush back to protect things if you fuck up. Some of the maps have better design, like there's a maze style one as they march up the side. The ones where you just fight things are usually the worst.

I agree with all of this. Especially about the review, it's almost like that reviewer didn't understand the game they were playing.

sublimit

Banned
I was going to wait for a few months before i bought the game (the musou aspect initially turned me off) but after watching some videos i changed my mind and i'll probably get the game tomorrow.Can't believe that i'll finally play a new DQ game on my tv (the last was Swords ages ago.)The game's art direction looks very beautiful from what i've seen in videos so i can't wait to see how it will look on my tv!

Arkeband

Banned
The reviewer was a little harsh, but he's kind of describing one of the problems with musou's in general.

Fodder enemies are dumb on purpose, because if there was really dozens of enemies all going apeshit on you, there would be no gameplay. They're more like living buffers you can't allow yourself to get too comfortable being surrounded by as you avoid the more dangerous captain monsters.

I'm also not sure how much of a difference the stat talents are actually making between my characters. The armor system is reduced to orbs (to avoid modeling armor) which gives you three orb types each unlock but everyone can equip every orb so you ignore most of them and equip everyone with the best one.

All of this stuff can be handwaved as not necessary to perfect in the series first entry, but it's worth noticing.

Skulldead

second day, just hit 8 hours. The game became a lot more better, the first 5 hour was a little too on the easy side. But right now everything start to become much more challenging, got my first quest failed on a sidequest defence mission. When they throw you 5-6 freaking monkey with a giant king slime and a troll at the same time, thing can get really crazy !

I'm really looking foward for the rest of the game, other then the generic story, everything else is really well done !

I'm also not sure how much of a difference the stat talents are actually making between my characters. The armor system is reduced to orbs (to avoid modeling armor) which gives you three orb types each unlock but everyone can equip every orb so you ignore most of them and equip everyone with the best one.

All of this stuff can be handwaved as not necessary to perfect in the series first entry, but it's worth noticing.

They are definitely making a huge difference per character. It's very easy to tell the difference between even Dorian without any defense upgrades to one that has them without in later levels.

Same goes for the movesets. Upgrading certain moves gives them far better range and properties than before. Like Isla's tornadoes double up and cover more area.

I even thought the "effect on critical hit" stuff was useless, but when you hit a weakspot or gain a normal crit, you get a sizable buff for a few seconds. That is easily seen when the numbers pop up.

If anything, I'd like there to be even more stuff to play with, and I'm already excited for the sequel.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thanks, I figured I was missing something. I guess I just expected them to introduce that at some point.

lol yep. I thought the game seemed kinda hard...

One of the npc's in the hub explains how to spend those points. You probably never chatted him up.

Reveirg

What is the exact requirement for the Master at Arms trophy?

Do I need to keep one of each equipment in stock? Or am I free to sell them?

Top Bottom