• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

ike_

I am really impressed by the graphics, the quality of the animation & shadows, and the framerate despite the stuttering in certain areas. And I love the use of the classic 8-bit sfx. Still gives me goosebumps every time.

Gyoru

How longs the game roughly, to anyone thats beat it(doubt anybody has). Is there NG+?

It takes about 20-30 hours to beat depending on how much side questing you do. My playtime was at 18:20 when I cleared it yesterday. There's a bunch of post game challenges/grinding and there's NG+. You only carry over certain things, but all your characters get +50 bonus skill points every clear (50 in NG+ / 100 in NG++ etc.)

It takes about 20-30 hours to beat depending on how much side questing you do. My playtime was at 18:20 when I cleared it yesterday. There's a bunch of post game challenges/grinding and there's NG+. You only carry over certain things, but all your characters get +50 bonus skill points every clear (50 in NG+ / 100 in NG++ etc.)

Then learning all skills is possible?

Bane

I've spent a few hours with it now and am loving it. It's been pretty easy so far but still fun and I look forward to the challenge ramping up. Perhaps it's because I'm not a musou fan but I am digging the small maps as I like the design of shorter levels broken up with the camp stuff. It feels a bit more RPG-ish to me that way.

When I first got Giulietta I wasn't too sure about her boomerang but then I Unlocked her other spells and fucked up a golem in all kinds of nasty ways and am now a fan

As for the dub, I'm pretty happy with it. I still need to meet most of the characters but so far I like the voice of everyone save Doric. He's not terrible but just a bit too anime sounding compared to the others.

The only real complaint I have, and it's incredibly tiny, is that the Slime weapons are just about useless as you immediately have access to more powerful ones.

I hope the sequel makes it over here as quickly as this one did, or period for that matter.

B-Dex

Is anyone else having trouble finding belle caps? Shaman refuse to drop them. I have 3 quests that need 2 each left and after 4 hours of grinding only 2 have dropped.

crinale

Is anyone else having trouble finding belle caps? Shaman refuse to drop them. I have 3 quests that need 2 each left and after 4 hours of grinding only 2 have dropped.
Upper version of shaman has much better drop rate IIRC so I recommend you to move on.

Edit: As a matter of fact whenever the quest objectives say "bring XX that you can obtain from enemy YY", there are many cases where you are better off loot the item from other monsters.

Delio

Trying to figure out how to build Nera. She is pretty deadly with those bubbles and has a attack buff but not sure how else to play her.

ghibli99

Just played for about an hour or so, with all the default settings using Aurora. This is just a wonderful game, and really has me excited about the DQ series again. It's been too long... 2011, to be exact. :)

FYI, I think you can respec at the save point.

Trying to figure out how to build Nera. She is pretty deadly with those bubbles and has a attack buff but not sure how else to play her.

She's a great nuker, but she costs a lot of MP (which is why she has that MP on hit thing).

Starting out, I mainly stacked up her MP and Wisdom levels, and put one in Defense for the hell of it. Then I put some skill points on the MP On Critical Hit, since most of her spells will hit weak areas. Next, I stacked her with the larger bubbles.

You want to basically stay away and nuke shit, and go midrange with the bubbles and melee only when you know it's safe. Learning her dodge helps wonders, although it's still pretty garbage.

Already at the 30 item inventory cap. WTF is this. Can you get s larger inventory?

One of the quests lives you more space. I think there are three of them, in fact. In the meantime, sell nuggets that aren't platinum and cut the difference with common items. You might want to make some accessories to clear out space first.

Delio

FYI, I think you can respec at the save point.

She's a great nuker, but she costs a lot of MP (which is why she has that MP on hit thing).

Starting out, I mainly stacked up her MP and Wisdom levels, and put one in Defense for the hell of it. Then I put some skill points on the MP On Critical Hit, since most of her spells will hit weak areas. Next, I stacked her with the larger bubbles.

You want to basically stay away and nuke shit, and go midrange with the bubbles and melee only when you know it's safe. Learning her dodge helps wonders, although it's still pretty garbage..

Thanks for the tips. I pretty much specced her with MP and wisdom cause i figured she was going to be a nuke but I was not sure on her abilities. Kinda interesting that two of her main attacks remain out and keep draining her MP.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm not a huge Musou person. I've known people before who were and I never really quite understood it. It's a huge feat to do what they do. Multiple enemies on screen is fun, but my experiences goes back to playing DW3 on PS2. It was around the time DMC was coming out. I sorta ignored the series until then. I ended up purchasing DMC and later on I'd buy DW.

I just can't get into the mechanics of the game for a long period of time. It starts to feel mundane after 20 minutes. I love a good action game, but the Musou series is tough at times.

I gotta hand it to the team that did this because it looks great. I'm enjoying it, but I can't do it for long periods of time. In all honesty I probably don't like musou. Something like this is better than say Zelda because I'm trying to get into this as much as I can.

I'd have to say the RPG elements are keeping me going. I want more story based missions and I'm doing fine with the bosses and so forth, but it's the mundane skirmishes on the side (side missions) that I can't get into. I can only go for so long until the mission objective needs to be in the clear blue or it's just going to cycle and cycle over and over again.

I thought of White Knight Chronicles today and how easy that was. You could do the entire game in knight mode, no variety, nothing. It wasn't something that was as groundbreaking as those first couple glimpses they had when it was announced.

I love a good DQ RPG. DQIX was wonderful if you ask me. I'm just taking my time with this. Maybe I wasn't feeling it tonight because that Musou feeling came back.

Cmagus

Already at the 30 item inventory cap. WTF is this. Can you get s larger inventory?

You can extend your inventory bag by doing quests you obtain bigger bags as rewards. I can't remember which ones give it but they have names like Ingredients 2 in the title or something like that.

Lucreto

I can't make plans to save my life.

I cleared my weekend to play the game but SE have not dispatched the game yet. It takes 2 days to arrive and I don't get post on a weekend.

SE are usually good at dispatching on time but when it's a game a really want it's delayed.

I am still waiting for Uncharted to arrive and that was due Tuesday.

Jobbs

Banned
This game is amazing. It's joy, good feelings, and positive associations distilled into video game form. This could also be said for Hyrule Warriors, but I think DQH (so far, anyway) is far better than HW because it looks better, runs at mostly 60, has more interesting gameplay, is deeper, and is generally much more polished.

I won't lie, this game actually pulled me out of a pretty shitty mood yesterday.

The voice acting for the main characters so far is great. This game is pretty damn adorable in alotta ways. The writing is pretty swell as well.

What a great little gem.

antitrop

I put some work in on this today, progressed up to the <1% Trophies, pretty much at the end of the story, I guess.

Burned through a lot of podcasts...

Flarin

There's something the IGN review brought up that's really bothering me now. Humans and monsters are friends, but then after the darkness comes they just slaughter all their former friends? I know it's an excuse for a video game but I can't help but think about that now. It's like killing friends that turned into zombies or something.

In any event, game is super awesome and nails the feel. Classic JRPG charm just oozes everywhere.

antitrop

There's something the IGN review brought up that's really bothering me now. Humans and monsters and friends, but then after the darkness comes they just slaughter all their former friends? I know it's an excuse for a video game but I can't help but think about that now. It's like killing friends that turned into zombies or something.

In any event, game is super awesome and nails the feel. Classic JRPG charm just oozes everywhere.
I think it's more like taming a wild animal as a pet and then having it attack you out of nowhere. Like some Siegfried and Roy shit.

B-Dex

Just clocked 30 hours. No lifing it. Gonna finish the story tomorrow and work on the platinum. Loving Kiryl's Demon Spear. Especially when it instantly kills a big monster.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Really liking the gameplay in this game, but the story is still so incredibly bad. The IGN review sums up my feelings perfect. Especially the part that they say the monsters are their greatest friends, but they start slashing them up with no regrets, it just doesn't make sense.

One day, cuddly monsters that the inhabitants of this fantasy land had formed a happy peace with are tainted by a dark wizard and turn on their companions. Personally, I can't imagine raising my fist against my dog no matter how vicious he became, but the people in Dragon Quest Heroes have no such restraint: the so-called heroes grab their swords and axes to tear down the creatures they once loved without mercy or the remorse you&#8217;d hope for in someone forced to kill. It&#8217;s even worse that the monsters are so hopelessly outmatched in this contest, and even the adorable slimes stand no chance against the angry mob made of you and your friends.

.... All of these traits are funny, at least initially. After the dozenth identical joke, though, the charm fades, and you're stuck with a predictable light-versus-dark story that fails to engender much excitement
http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2015/1...nt page)&utm_content=19&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Don't get me wrong, the game is really fun. But the story... What the hell were they thinking....?

antitrop

Will I enjoy it if I never played a DQ game?

I LOVE musou games and this looks amazing.

Uh, yeah. Surprised you even have to ask.

You can skip all the cutscenes and story stuff, because it's cute and charming, but a whole lot of fluff, and gets really, really old after the first few hours. Every cutscene is a retelling of the same joke, it's kind of fascinating. At least if you pick the male protagonist. Every cutscene is him just coming up with overelaborate plans in desperate times and the other characters completely ignoring it. It was funny once.

That, and the characters really like to speak too soon, to the point of annoyance. Funny once, but they think the battle is over prematurely so often that it just makes them come off as naive and plain dumb. There are always more enemies, but somehow they get taken by surprise, every single time.

B-Dex

Will I enjoy it if I never played a DQ game?

I LOVE musou games and this looks amazing.

I too have a musou problem and love this game. The objectives are mostly defensive but it doesn't take long to adjust. Plus 4 person parties and skill trees.

Uh, yeah. Surprised you even have to ask.

You can skip all the cutscenes and story stuff, because it's cute and charming, but a whole lot of fluff, and gets really, really old after the first few hours. Every cutscene is a retelling of the same joke, it's kind of fascinating. At least if you pick the male protagonist. Every cutscene is him just coming up with a plan and the other characters completely ignoring it. It was funny once.

Well, the cutscenes are the same as I picked the female protagonist. The joke is actually quite endearing, lol.

Impulsor

I'm picking up my collector's edition today after work. Can't wait to play. Been playing Destiny almost non-stop since the taken king came out.

Man, I just cannot beat this "protect the Yggdrasil Root" quest in the arena. Too many fucking golems and those lizard guys with the axes. I just get fucking swarmed.

Man, I just cannot beat this "protect the Yggdrasil Root" quest in the arena. Too many fucking golems and those lizard guys with the axes. I just get fucking swarmed.
I was able to beat it by getting two Golem coins and summoning them at both alleys.

They can handle a shit ton of monsters solo while you take out the little devils.

In other news:

CRUabttUkAAnc-m.png:orig
Alena is so much fucking fun to play as holy shit.

Go out, kill a golem or two, and drop them RIGHT by a gate. That should stave off the larger creatures. You want to do this to a gate that's not too far away so you can get back, but no so close that it doesn't invalidate your strat.

Run back and take care of a gate closest to the root. After that's done, you should be getting a mob at the root. That's fine - take out the onslaught (making sure to take out the chimeras, as they drain a lot of health fast) and get a bunch of medals. Use a Golem on top of the root and run back to the previous golem, and help him clean house.
Now turn back to the root. It's probably getting mobbed with the lizard dudes by now, but that's fine, because you only have a few gates left. Clear them out again, making sure to use tension stuff. Once you get a breather, kick the first golem out of your party (the one doing nothing) and use a lizard or two at the root. So now you should have like a golem, a Lizard, and some other small dudes at the root.

During this lull, rush the last two gates. On the way, you can take out the chimeras with some AOE attacks, so it helps to have some spellcasters or MP on the main character.

Run back and take care of the bigger guys in the mob. If there's a gate left, use the lull again to knock out the last one. Replenish your stock of monsters as needed.

tl;dr: kill chimeras because they are cunts, set up a golem at a midrange gate and come back to it later, and alternate between far and close gates while setting up big dudes at the post to keep the non-chimera stuff at bay.

Oh, and use those "Whatever On Critical Hit" skills. That really goes for the majority of the game, but it'll help you kill big guys far faster since you'll get a strength boost for hitting them in the face (which can be used to clear out another big dude or the rest of the mob).

Go out, kill a golem or two, and drop them RIGHT by a gate. That should stave off the larger creatures. You want to do this to a gate that's not too far away so you can get back, but no so close that it doesn't invalidate your strat.

Run back and take care of a gate closest to the root. After that's done, you should be getting a mob at the root. That's fine - take out the onslaught (making sure to take out the chimeras, as they drain a lot of health fast) and get a bunch of medals. Use a Golem on top of the root and run back to the previous golem, and help him clean house.
Now turn back to the root. It's probably getting mobbed with the lizard dudes by now, but that's fine, because you only have a few gates left. Clear them out again, making sure to use tension stuff. Once you get a breather, kick the first golem out of your party (the one doing nothing) and use a lizard or two at the root. So now you should have like a golem, a Lizard, and some other small dudes at the root.

During this lull, rush the last two gates. On the way, you can take out the chimeras with some AOE attacks, so it helps to have some spellcasters or MP on the main character.

Run back and take care of the bigger guys in the mob. If there's a gate left, use the lull again to knock out the last one. Replenish your stock of monsters as needed.

tl;dr: kill chimeras because they are cunts, set up a golem at a midrange gate and come back to it later, and alternate between far and close gates while setting up big dudes at the post to keep the non-chimera stuff at bay.

Oh, and use those "Whatever On Critical Hit" skills. That really goes for the majority of the game, but it'll help you kill big guys far faster since you'll get a strength boost for hitting them in the face (which can be used to clear out another big dude or the rest of the mob).

Yeah, I gotta go back and try that. I think my biggest problem was getting mobbed in the arena instead of dropping my minions on the chokepoints.

That, and those motherfucking chimeras.

Skulldead

This was the first time a failed a mission, like the other guy said go get golem near the south door, but right off the start go get the left portal spawn point (should find golem and knight there at same time), very easy to destroy, after that go directly to the one on the lower right of the arena, after that just protect the middle and Summon all you mob on a single door, then take care of the other one. Should going smoothly, kill flying chimera fast as possible they can get nasty when reach the defense point.

Arkeband

Banned
You guys shouldn't feel so much empathy for the monsters.

It's obvious that they were only friendly in this DQ world to lower our guard until the slimes crawled into our esophaguses in our sleep and asphyxiated us.

Spruchy

Does anyone know if this is like Hyrule Warriors in that any materials left on the battlefield automatically get collected?

Also LOL at getting wrapped up in the whole "but the monsters were our friends!" bit. The story serves as means to an end, not anything actually worth questioning.

Top Bottom