• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Jobbs

Banned
Yangus is so good. Upgraded Parallax Slash is such a good lane clearer -- And Helm Splitter is great against larger single targets. Think he has a permanent slot.

1upsuper

So is it better to avoid grinding for drops needed for quests immediately because you'll end up getting them anyway? It takes forever, but I really want to complete every quest, and I'd rather not spend my medals for them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So is it better to avoid grinding for drops needed for quests immediately because you'll end up getting them anyway? It takes forever, but I really want to complete every quest, and I'd rather not spend my medals for them.

If it's the bloody Belle Caps, you can farm them in the Shrine of Scales map pretty easily. Hardest thing to get so far in the game haha.

Alucrid

Banned
question about party members

to unlock the last hidden one do i have to beat quest 90 a monstrous apparition? tried it and got whooped so i'm assuming that's something for post game?

question about party members

to unlock the last hidden one do i have to beat quest 90 a monstrous apparition? tried it and got whooped so i'm assuming that's something for post game?

Yes you have to beat the quest .
Not certain if you can do it before cause i did it post game .
Much easier that way .

Quonny

I can't get a hold of Maya. She seems okay, but I find Yangus and Terry to be better. Both have room clearing line shots and abilities to take out bosses quickly.

Could just be my playstyle.

Kamina777

Banned
I must be the only person that likes Lusceus, He's fun to play with and I spec'd him to be a critical and tension machine, even the awesome hackasaurus falls with my multi triangle special attack.

Delio

Yeah but my medals!

Aurora's R1+Triangle freezing move is perfect for hackasauruses. In fact it's perfect for like every goddamn enemy. Even bosses can get frozen. It's insane. It's incredible how Luceus is fucking useless compared to her. No joke, I think he's the worst character in the game. He doesn't have anything special.

It is AMAZING how reliable her freeze is. Upgraded that to that multihitting version of it and lord sometimes i can just freeze lock stuff forever while Alena and Maya go to work on it.

I think Luc has one of the highest chances to crit on average. Both my main characters are close and have the same crit builds, but he definitely gets more crits.

Then again, maybe it's just me. I wish there was a way to see starting stats.

grimmiq

Holy shit the party member AI goes to hell as soon as you use Tension..Trying to fight Psaro (Pretty sure I'm underlevelled at 34), and things go smoothly, I build up Tension on all 4 characters over like 6 minutes, 3 revives left so no frequent deaths..Use my 1st tension..All 3 of these idiots die before it finishes, revive 2 of them, use 2nd Tension, both die before it's over. As if they think "Oh, he used Tension? Let's just stand in front of the badass and melee over and over til he's done.".. Got the bastard to 15% but giving up til I get another 10 or so levels.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If I gold rank the grudge matches do I get an even harder fight? I've been getting weapons from getting silver on them all so far.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The choice between Luceus vs Aurora is a choice between more raw power vs more utility.

Considering their personalities, their given elements are the opposite of what you'd expect, kinda funny.

I ended up restarting the game after four hours just to pick Aurora over Luceus.

This had nothing to do with gameplay or character preference, but had everything to do with Aurora looking better in the Dragon Quest III costume.

I think Bianica is my favorite. Utter shit controlled by ai but ring of pain + plasma dome is an unholy combo. The kings ice gauntlets are pretty boss too.

This has been a surprising experience. Who knew a stale genre only need a new take to feel fresh again. Just wish I knew who all the characters were.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Debora pls for Dragon Quest Heroes II.

Skulldead

Oh God the postgame...
I need to level up... a lot...

Hahah yeah, you can do every content around level 60-70 with little problems... Other then the DLC boss, they are just insane (i'm level 80 right now), i really don't know how at level 99 i'll be able to beat them....

I was gonna do this big ol' post on what works and what doesn't for characters, but on my second runthrough, I've realized something.

You want to crit.

Crit all day. And then crit all fucking night. All of those crit upgrades you can get should be on your character at the start of your second playthrough. Before that? Give them what's appropriate.

A few seconds may not seem like much, but doing more damage, getting MP back, and being a walking tank with any character is a beautiful thing.

Some characters have a higher chance even without the upgrades. I'm pretty sure Luc has the highest chance so far, but that might be out of the two mains. Spells can crit as well.

If you are having trouble with a particular part in your first run through, I highly suggest dumping points in there.

May16

So you can actually skip stuff like charging healstones by mashing O. They dont tell you but just smashing circle speeds up dialogue and skips stupid things like charging the healstone.

You speak as if I never tried pressing O. ;)

It "speeds it up" so that it's still ridiculously slow. You still have to go one by one and still have to let the music play out. O can't save you there. Near endgame, recharging all of them will take a full minute. That's inexcusable. :p

Beth Cyra

Nice little game.

I honestly think Drangon Quest is garbage and I hate Akira's art work but they did a good job overall making the series more pleasant for me, only about 4 hours in and while I don't like it as much as HW I must say I'm enjoying my time with it more then Gundam 2/3.

I must be the only person that likes Lusceus, He's fun to play with and I spec'd him to be a critical and tension machine, even the awesome hackasaurus falls with my multi triangle special attack.

You aren't the only one. I like Luceus as well. The strategy crap he says all game is annoying at times, but I've had the most fun as him and Terry.

Wilsongt

I find myself liking the way Luceus plays... I try to switch between Bianca/Jessica/Alena as I play when I am out of MP with him, but I always go back. Even though Alena does great against Golems and Knights with her downward kick barrage.

Edit: Also, this game made me go back to DQV since I was still at the beginning of that game.

I've gotten all of the characters except Maya but so far Alena is still my favorite to play. Combos all day! I've played it non-stop since it came out just basking in the nostalgic overflow. I think I really want a new DQ. Now.

Teknoman

This game is amazing. Getting the same amazing feeling I got from Hyrule Warriors, except even more so with the way the character banter is worked in. English VA is great, Aurora is totally different than I thought she'd be (she is awesome, and here I thought she would be the super serious one) and just seeing everything in motion paired with the way classic themes are worked in...whew.

shmoglish

Why the hell Terry is called Vincent in the german version of the game? I kinda understan it with Jude (Jew) in Tales of Whateveria, but in this case...

Level 25 with Lu. now, had my problems with the Boss
Marquis de Leon
(I lost). Think I need to level up the rest of my crew or use Nera and Bianca (both are level 26, rest of the team is 22-23)

Teknoman

Nice little game.

I honestly think Drangon Quest is garbage and I hate Akira's art work but they did a good job overall making the series more pleasant for me, only about 4 hours in and while I don't like it as much as HW I must say I'm enjoying my time with it more then Gundam 2/3.

Hate...is such a strong word...

More games, especially Action RPGs / Turn Based RPGs need Akira Toriyama's artwork

I really think that the best team is Yangus, Nera and Jessica. I was really hoping to have an all female team but can't find a female to take Yang's spot.

Bogeypop

I normally don't like the "slow-yet-heavy-hitting" type character, but Yangus' Parallax and Helm Splitter are way too good. Combine that with his hard hitting charged attacks he's easily become my main damage dealer against bosses.

I really think that the best team is Yangus, Nera and Jessica. I was really hoping to have an all female team but can't find a female to take Yang's spot.

Yangus is good, but he can be squishier than Dorian, so when he Whistles it's kind of useless. His dodge, even upgraded, is butt. He makes up for it with his ridiculous damage per hit though.

Nera is a nuke, but she drains MP so fast that you need to have normal moves active to get it back.

Jessica has a great toolset, but she's pretty average on all fronts and doesn't really specialize in one thing.

It's hard to call any team perfect. There are so many variables and depending on what you fight, another team might be far better suited. Doesn't mean you'll be so nerfed that your characters will be useless though.

Berordn

You aren't the only one. I like Luceus as well. The strategy crap he says all game is annoying at times, but I've had the most fun as him and Terry.

Plus it gets better when the other characters start calling him out on his nonsense strategies. Aurora's a good foil, but (midgame spoilers)
it gets really grating when she leaves you and he rambles on unchecked.

Joqu

I've finally had the time to play some. I'm sure there has been plenty of this since I'm a bit late but here are some really early impressions anyway. Sorry about that.

- Feels really good to finally play a new Dragon Quest game man. So cosy.

- This is way more of a traditional action RPG than I expected it to be? To be fair the only Musou experience I've got is Hyrule Warriors which I really enjoyed but I think I get why they didn't go with the "Warriors" name in this one. It really is what I thought an action RPG Dragon Quest game would be like. I've wanted to play one for a while too.

- This is part of the previous point but while I don't know how much of this there'll be later on I really dig that I get to walk around town and talk with NPCs. I wish I could do that in HW.

- Production values are surprising me too. Those monster models are lovely, I'm assuming these will be used in future Dragon Quest games such as XI? It really feels like a slight taste of what that game is going to be like in the graphics department.

- Waaaay too easy so far. I'm hoping this'll improve later on but either way that'd be a pretty bad difficulty curve they've got there.

- English voice acting is great. Just what Dragon Quest VA should sound like as far as I'm concerned. That King Doric! Healix does sound peculiar. I don't know what it sounds like in Japanese but I totally get why people would be put off by it. I'm kind of digging it though?

- Male MC is shit and I'm regretting my choice. You could argue this is due to the voice acting but I think the performance is fitting. It's just that he's an obnoxious character. I don't know if it's worth restarting though.

- Music is disappointing. Feels more like laziness to me than as an homage to the series.

So yeah, I'm definitely digging it. Not entirely on the game but it's not quite satisfying all my Dragon Quest needs though. If anything it's making me want the games we've been missing out on even more.

May16

i use jessica >.>

Jessica never left my group for me. The healing spell made her a permanent member.
This is way more of a traditional action RPG than I expected it to be? To be fair the only Musou experience I've got is Hyrule Warriors which I really enjoyed but I think I get why they didn't go with the "Warriors" name in this one.
This and marketing. They didn't want the game to be written off by a huge lot that would say "Oh I don't play musou games" and instantly ignore. And they made a good decision. I don't like musous but I liked this game a lot.

Jessica never left my group for me. The healing spell made her a permanent member.

i use that rarely because i didn't realize she's exposed to getting hit still. LOL. got KO while fighting a boss. i usually just use the healstone though. because my AI so dumb. not blocking (tbh i don't block either still lol.)

it's pretty much female lead, isla, jessica, and bianca for now.

love isla's swoosh x3 for that crowd control followed by the fire attack. i like to pretend it's spinning with the tornado when i do it lol.

also for a shoutout i enjoy doric's deliverance skill. just because of the way he says deliverance.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't understand how to use Nera. Stand back -> Endless Maelstrom -> Endless Moon thingie (x2? x3?) -> Kaboom?

Sometimes when I switch to her and start doing random shit, everything dies, but other times it's not very effective. I'm basically dragging her along for Oomph while I focus things down with Terry.

Help me see why Nera shouldn't be replaced with Yangus.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Plus it gets better when the other characters start calling him out on his nonsense strategies. Aurora's a good foil, but (midgame spoilers)
it gets really grating when she leaves you and he rambles on unchecked.
Is there any way to unlock those cutscenes if you picked Aurora?

Shahed

Tried using Bianca for the first time. I don't know what she'd be like against bosses, but against mobs she's the most overpowered I've seen. With Plasma Dome locking down choke points and Rain of Pain targeting enemies from range and around obstacles and gates. Give her the critical accessory Raging Ruby and she gets loads of MP back as well.

Top Bottom