• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 |OT|

Aeana

bmrrE.jpg

The game is out this week (9/19/2011), so people probably would like a place to talk about it.
If you didn't like DQMJ1, you might still want to check this one out because I personally feel it is greatly improved in every respect.

There is a wonderful website that contains everything that people would normally put in the first post of an OT.
Check it out.

Here's a trailer.

TEJ

I want this so much! I've been replaying DQ4 DS, and by the time I beat the postgame chapter is when I should have the money for this.

C-Jo

I'll be picking this up to support DQ in the west, but I can almost guarantee it won't get played.

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, I saw this when I picked up Kirby Mass Attack earlier today. I love DQ but I didn't really like DQMJ. Tell me more, Aeana!

M-PG71C

I want to pick it up, truly, but I spent my "budget" this month for games on Solatorobo, StarFox 64 3D, and Kirby Mass Attack. It'll have to wait till October lol :p

It looks good, its something I'll play once I finish Xenoblade at some point.

Mudo

I am picking my preorder up tomorrow evening in support of DQ in the west - but not sure if I will play it lol

sixclaws

Banned
I really want to pick this up but I have too much to do and by the time I can get around to it there will probably be a sale somewhere so I can't wait till then.

TEJ

M-PG71C said:
I want to pick it up, truly, but I spent my "budget" this month for games on Solatorobo, StarFox 64 3D, and Kirby Mass Attack. It'll have to wait till October lol :p

It looks good, its something I'll play once I finish Xenoblade at some point.

i spent my gaming budget this month on dues ex hr and disgaea 4. I'm not totally sure if I want solatorobo. It looks really charming, but the gameplay itself doesn't interest me too much.

M-PG71C

TEJ said:
i spent my gaming budget this month on dues ex hr and disgaea 4. I'm not totally sure if I want solatorobo. It looks really charming, but the gameplay itself doesn't interest me too much.

Damnit, I forgot Disgaea 4 is out this month. Is it better than 3? I loved the first two but the 3 one was a bit....meh. :D

I dunno, I'm a sucker for action-RPGs or anything that resembles it and considering its the spirtual sequel to Tail Concerto, I just had to get it over anything else. I had this pre-ordered the minute they announced it was coming Stateside lol

Aeana

Boney said:
exactly what i was gonna say hahaha

I'll leave my DQM lust for the remake
I like Joker 2 a lot more than the original. Hopefully the remake will bring it in line or allow it to surpass what they've done with DQMJ2.

ghibli99

I've never played a DQM game, and I have the shakes from DQ withdrawal. I kinda hate that I don't have any mainline games left to play. :(

Cactus

Banned
I'm probably going to skip this, sadly. Not much time or money for video games right now, so Persona 2 will probably last me a while.

The fact that this is just the basic version and not the upgraded "Professional" version is really making me apprehensive about getting this.

:/

I still have the first Joker in my backlog and I'm playing DQ6 at the moment!

I absolutely will buy this but I won't be playing it until everyone else is done with it!

gwarm01

Wow, I had no idea this was out already. I'll have to violate my "no new games until you clear the backlog" rule on this one. I always support DQ in the west, especially Monsters!

Aeana

The translation is pretty decent so far.
I'm glad they let you use kana for naming, because スラりん is the only proper name for a slime.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
I like Joker 2 a lot more than the original. Hopefully the remake will bring it in line or allow it to surpass what they've done with DQMJ2.
Quality doesn't matter, this is about nostalgia only

Aeana said:
The translation is pretty decent so far.
I'm glad they let you use kana for naming, because スラりん is the only proper name for a slime.
what a nerd haha

Alchemy

Aeana said:

This is interesting, because I really enjoyed the first Joker.

Aeana

Alchemy said:
This is interesting, because I really enjoyed the first Joker.
Oh, sorry, in that line I was referring to the original Dragon Quest Monsters game, not Joker 1.
But yes, I also prefer Joker 2 to Joker 1 by leagues.

Alchemy

Aeana said:
Oh, sorry, in that line I was referring to the original Dragon Quest Monsters game, not Joker 1.
But yes, I also prefer Joker 2 to Joker 1 by leagues.

Stop it, you're making me excited for this and I still have work to finish.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Joker 1 was so weird.
I appreciated the attempts to pseudo-DQVIII-ize the overworld experience, but the setting, main character design, and technology kind of set my teeth on edge. I'm looking forward to this one immensely (even if it isn't the Pro version, damn it!) and am a bit taken aback that Amazon hasn't shipped it yet and that it isn't slated to arrive until Sept. 22.

Oh well.
This OT is almost as awesome as my FFIII DS US OT wound up being.
Cheers, A! :D

N4Us

Picking my copy up tomorrow as well. Even with my problems of Joker 1 I did enjoy it and I need another handheld grind to keep me off Pokemon.

gwarm01

How does the game control on a 3DS? Does it feel more natural with the slide pad or will I only turn by using the L and R buttons like in the original?

Aeana

gwarm01 said:
How does the game control on a 3DS? Does it feel more natural with the slide pad or will I only turn by using the L and R buttons like in the original?
Movement with the slide pad feels pretty good, less awkward. The game looks like junk upscaled, though, so I'm just playing it on my DSi instead like I did with the JP version, yes, pretty much just using L/R to turn while I hold forward.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
Hopefully someone eventually gets around to patching the Professional or whatever newer version is in Japan.
While that would be nice I suppose, it isn't like the regular version isn't worth playing.

gwarm01

I was just doing a little reading and apparently you can catch rare monsters by going into tag mode with DQ9 and 6. Does anyone know what monsters you get for doing this?

I was looking forward to this but after reading IGN's review and that the whole game takes place on a island with no towns or limited NPCs, I may pass on this one for now.

The monster mixing feature looks pretty addictive though. But a big reason why Pokemon is so good as a RPG is the feeling of traveling around the world and visiting cities and speaking to town's people. That's also another reason why the DQ games are so great.

This game looks like it's more about the monsters. I do want to check it out later.

Aeana

I made a low-key OT since I didn't think very many people here cared about the game. I guess I can fill in some stuff later to give people a better idea of why this is better than DQMJ1.

I was looking forward to this but after reading IGN's review and that the whole game takes place on a island with no towns or limited NPCs, I may pass on this one for now.
Honestly, that is one of the reasons why I prefer DQMJ2 over DQMJ1.

And I dunno, I never cared about the NPCs in Pokemon at all.

TEJ

M-PG71C said:
Damnit, I forgot Disgaea 4 is out this month. Is it better than 3? I loved the first two but the 3 one was a bit....meh. :D

I dunno, I'm a sucker for action-RPGs or anything that resembles it and considering its the spirtual sequel to Tail Concerto, I just had to get it over anything else. I had this pre-ordered the minute they announced it was coming Stateside lol

i'm thinking about buying it.......but this game comes first......and then there's the team ico collection.....guardian heroes xbla.......the lion king on blu ray.........dark souls.......I still need to buy bangai o, bastion, and half minute hero xbla.....

I can't afford all that.....I can only afford things i'm confident I will enjoy.

Duran

Not too sure why they didn't do Professional instead...that said I'll just wait and hope the remake comes over since I recall spending a great deal of time on DQM1/2 and loving it.

Ultratech

Yeah, it's much better than Joker 1. Too bad it's not the Pro version though.

Game is awesome for having the Conks and the ability to make them super awesome.
Even more hilarious since there's also a female version of them called Conkubines.

Gravijah

Aeana, I remember you mentioning that NA might not get the "Professional Edition" of this game... Did that end up being true?

Edit: Oh, seems so. Hm. But I might as well pick it up at somepoint, I really enjoyed the first Joker.

faridmon

Aeana said:
The game is at least loads better than the first Joker.
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. Hated Joker and how slow it was. Also, I was stuck in that Sun-moon tower-dungeon thing so I never finished it.
I will still get this. Hopefully I enjoy it more.

Oxx

I've never played a DQM before, but I did like the monster stuff in DQV. I might give it a go at some point. I can't imagine that it will be as over-shipped as the first DQMJ (which could be found for about £8 at one point), but I'm assuming semi-bomba.

Aeana said:

Ultratech said:
Yeah, it's much better than Joker 1.

Can you guys elaborate about the differences from 1?
I wanted to love Joker so much, but it just felt so slow and unrewarding compared to the previous games, I gave up halfway (the sun/moon dungeon IIRC). Like I posted in the DQM1 remake thread, battles were slow, recruiting monsters was slow (psyche up, psyche up, psyche up... etc), leveling up newly-born monsters took a long time so you got a bit discouraged from breeding and experimenting, which was a huge part of the fun in DQM1/2.

Also, how is the online? The first one seemed to be pretty much 100% dominated by hacked teams.

Top Bottom