• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 |OT|

Oxx

I have only just started playing my used copy.

The previous owner had only played 37 minutes. That's barely enough time to get the starter monster. Weird.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far. The camera is taking a bit to get used to. The fact that my right shoulder button is a bit sticky hasn't been helping.

Oxx

Transferring discussion from the DQ9 thread:

I saw. I need to sit down and hammer out a 1/50 chance of getting the last monster in the game, and I'll be done with Joker 2 as well. >_>

Do feel free to ask anything in that OT, I do have a tab open with it.

I've been having a decent enough time muddling through so far. I'm sure glancing at a FAQ would help me build a better team, but I'm okay with just synthesising the monsters that I like the look of.

It did take me 20 hours before I realised what to do with the machine parts, though. There was only one weapon that really benefitted me, so I didn't miss much.

I'm still not sure what the Metal Tickets are for, though.

Oxx

Apologies for the triple-post, but it is unavoidable.

I just finished the story and I'm pretty glad I gave the Monsters series a chance. The game itself is pretty bland as far as DQ goes, but I really like the scouting and synthesis mechanics.

I'm looking forward to the 3DS game if it has the monster stuff along with a bit more character.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I almost bought this game, but when I heard obtaining some monsters was impossible/near impossible, it was a bit of a turn off. Is that true??

When you use a metal ticket, when you go back to the world map, a new area labelled ??? will appear. Inside will be only metal monsters for you to fight. (You're given a limited number of fights per metal ticket, so my advice is to save before using it to make sure you maximize your use of one.)

Also make sure you can actually KILL them.

If I recall correctly, at certain points throughout the game, stronger metals show up there so that you can get more EXP. I believe either by beating the game or getting to the final area, Liquid Metal Slimes show up for delicious EXP harvesting.

Oxx

I got destroyed pretty early into the post-game.

Does anything else open-up once the main story has finished? New areas? New monsters?
Apart from being able to scout giant monsters?

But I might just leave things here. I'm not going to be as completionist as I was with DQ9 and I have plenty of other games in my DS backlog.

I almost bought this game, but when I heard obtaining some monsters was impossible/near impossible, it was a bit of a turn off. Is that true??

You have to be able to tag other players to get the three bandit monsters to show up. (Robbin' Huddle, Robbin' Hood, Prince o' Thieves) Additionally, you need to win 200 tag battles to get Ultra Slime, and then have a 1/50 chance of getting Nemeslime every 10 wins after that. (And these specifically are battles upon tagging someone. Online and local battles do not count.)

Other than that, you only get one Captain Crow and one Incarnus per game, so that'll limit you as well. As you can get extra monsters from tagging people, this really breaks down into "are you able to get tags in SOME manner?" If so, you can get all of the monsters. If not, you can't.

I got destroyed pretty early into the post-game.

Does anything else open-up once the main story has finished? New areas? New monsters?

Well, you do have two new challenges to begin with. You can participate in the "TRUE" Monster Scout Challenge in the Arena. (Beating it unlocks fights with one of the NPCs, who will give you some powerful monsters just for beating him, and each fight has a monster that carries one of the Class Skill Scrolls, which are needed for Uber Skillsets.)

Additionally,
you can talk to the final boss again, refight him with his "true power", and if you beat him, unlock the final area. There are a ton of monsters in the Dark World, and if you beat the post-game boss, a bunch of zodiac-aligned monsters will become available to scout as well.

So there is more stuff to do, but it's really up to you on how much you want to do with it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You have to be able to tag other players to get the three bandit monsters to show up. (Robbin' Huddle, Robbin' Hood, Prince o' Thieves) Additionally, you need to win 200 tag battles to get Ultra Slime, and then have a 1/50 chance of getting Nemeslime every 10 wins after that. (And these specifically are battles upon tagging someone. Online and local battles do not count.)

Other than that, you only get one Captain Crow and one Incarnus per game, so that'll limit you as well. As you can get extra monsters from tagging people, this really breaks down into "are you able to get tags in SOME manner?" If so, you can get all of the monsters. If not, you can't.

Well that sucks...Nobody I know has this, so I'd be unable to complete my collection. Sadly, that means I have no desire to pick this up. :\ Same with DQ9. I'd LOVE to play that and enjoy the extras, but with nobody I know owning it, I'd be unable to enjoy all the extras.

Well that sucks...Nobody I know has this, so I'd be unable to complete my collection. Sadly, that means I have no desire to pick this up. :\ Same with DQ9. I'd LOVE to play that and enjoy the extras, but with nobody I know owning it, I'd be unable to enjoy all the extras.

With respect to DQ9, as long as you have an open or WEP encrypted connection, (or can remove your encryption temporarily) and the online DQVC shop remains open, you can do pretty much everything within the game. (Except get a few items easily) Any items that you would need tags to obtain are accessible through the online shop.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
With respect to DQ9, as long as you have an open or WEP encrypted connection, (or can remove your encryption temporarily) and the online DQVC shop remains open, you can do pretty much everything within the game. (Except get a few items easily) Any items that you would need tags to obtain are accessible through the online shop.

Including maps???

Including maps???

In what sense? All of the legacy boss maps are available via quests or other bosses. The other maps, like ones with really good treasure placement, can be gotten randomly in game. The ones with an all-monster floor are very rare, but also randomly obtainable in game. (The odds are so bad you really are better off tagging someone with it, but all of these maps come from in-game and are possible to get.)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got this last christmas but only got the chance ta start it today! After an hours playtime I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll like the game. This is my first DQ Monsters game so I was surprised its still alot like regular DQ games in some ways like the speedy battles, atmosphere... and the always weird use of words! "Treepidation" makes me giggle just thinking about it! Should I be scouting and replacing my monsters whenever I come across new ones? Building up a team seems like it'll require more of a time investment then say, Pokémon, so replacing and starting from scratch often doesn't seem like it'll be a great idea.

Chairhome

So this is $10 at Best Buy as part of their gaming blowout this week. Thinking about picking it up to play later. Especially after hearing the 8-4 play podcast this week about DQX...

Oxx

I got this last christmas but only got the chance ta start it today! After an hours playtime I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll like the game. This is my first DQ Monsters game so I was surprised its still alot like regular DQ games in some ways like the speedy battles, atmosphere... and the always weird use of words! "Treepidation" makes me giggle just thinking about it! Should I be scouting and replacing my monsters whenever I come across new ones? Building up a team seems like it'll require more of a time investment then say, Pokémon, so replacing and starting from scratch often doesn't seem like it'll be a great idea.

It's a DQ game so it's pretty hard to go wrong.

There were times when I whittled-down my vast collection of monsters to just a handful because of incessant synthesising. But once you progress beyond the very start of the game it's pretty quick and easy to grab new monsters and level-up your newly-synthesised ones back to competitiveness.

Megatron

This is $16 at Amazon right now. it was showing that price last night too but the price changed to $19.99 when it was added to a cart. Now it is showing the right price.

Top Bottom