• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 |OT|

Tailzo said:
I loved dq4, 5, 6, 9 and rocket slime. Is joker 2 as charming as those?
I challenge any game ever to be as charming as Dragon Quest Rocket Slime.

Picking this up as soon as its in stock at Play-Asia but alas don't know when I'll get around to playing, too much other stuff to play at the moment.

Aeana

Gillian Seed said:
This game must have been delayed. Nobody has it online.
Well, I got it, so some copies must have shipped.
More likely than not, the shipment was just really tiny.

Hobbun

SchleimanTank said:
Can you guys elaborate about the differences from 1?
I wanted to love Joker so much, but it just felt so slow and unrewarding compared to the previous games

These are pretty much my feelings as well. Where I love DQ in general, DQMJ1 was hard for me to stay interested.

Aeana, could you give a little info on how the second one is different, and why you like it better?

Aeana

Hobbun said:
These are pretty much my feelings as well. Where I love DQ in general, DQMJ1 was hard for me to stay interested.

Aeana, could you give a little info on how the second one is different, and why you like it better?
More interesting setting, better fields/dungeon areas, more interesting characters, way more monsters, the monster size thing makes creating parties much more interesting. In general, everything is just better. Whether you will like it if you didn't like DQMJ1 (I didn't like it that much, for the record), depends on what you didn't like about DQMJ1.

Hobbun

To be honest, I think a large part why I didn’t like it was because there was not much motivation or goals for me to do besides just catch the monsters. I know that is the name of the game, and maybe I didn’t talk to the right people, but it just felt like I was running around building up my monsters, and that’s it. Therefore it got to be a little boring.

I am looking at the Amazon description for the game and it says it is a “turn-based Action role-playing game”. What does it exactly mean by that? Is the combat turn-based or action based?

Aeana

Hobbun said:
To be honest, I think a large part why I didn’t like it was because there was not much motivation or goals for me to do besides just catch the monsters. I know that is the name of the game, and maybe I didn’t talk to the right people, but it just felt like I was running around building up my monsters, and that’s it. Therefore it got to be a little boring.

I am looking at the Amazon description for the game and it says it is a “turn-based Action role-playing game”. What does it exactly mean by that? Is the combat turn-based or action based?
The combat is not action-based.

And that's pretty much what a DQM game is. The focus is very heavily on scouting and synthesizing monsters. There is a story there, kinda, but it really isn't the focus of the game. This isn't mainline DQ.

Aeana said:
Well, I got it, so some copies must have shipped.
More likely than not, the shipment was just really tiny.

Hmm I had it preordered with overnight shipping with Amazon, so i would have been first in line. And it does not say that the game is out of stock. I think Amazon and other big name retailers just have not recieved any copies yet.

Aeana said:
While that would be nice I suppose, it isn't like the regular version isn't worth playing.
Oh absolutely, but the game will probably sit unopened for months regardless. Backlog is as beastly as ever.

Alchemy

Gillian Seed said:
Hmm I had it preordered with overnight shipping with Amazon, so i would have been first in line. And it does not say that the game is out of stock. I think Amazon and other big name retailers just have not recieved any copies yet.

I grabbed a copy yesterday at Best Buy. Almost two hours in, and still not able to fuse monsters. Curses! Looking forward to my lunch break to keep playing.

Playing on my 3DS for slide pad use, makes 3D games control so much better. I want to go back to my DSi XL for the screen but I can't manage to pull away from the slide pad.

**EDIT**

It is worth noting I tried Toys R Us first and they didn't have it, but they also didn't have Kirby Mass Attack so I just assumed they didn't get any of the games that launched yesterday.

Nintendo seriously botched the release of these two games (I'm also referring to Kirby).

I couldn't find them anywhere except at a Best Buy that would normally not get silent releases in.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are there any random dungeons ala DQM (Gameboy) in the game (I know most arent random)? One at least? I loved those random dungeons to hell and back :(

Waiting for the UK release at the start of October. I enjoyed the first one although kinda got occupied with other games before I could get too deep into it so am hoping I'll give this one more time.

N4Us

Reminder that Platypunk still owns and should be S Rank imo.

I just started on it, maybe it's just me but it seems the character moves a little faster than in J1, which is good. Also I got the only copy at my GS.

Loved the playthrough of Joker 1. The post-game stuff irked me a bit, such as monster collecting the higher ranked monsters. Quadrilineal synthesis without in-game hints, so the only way to do it is with hours of trial and error or running to gamefaqs. I gave up on it once I saw what was required for some of the X-ranked monsters. Up until that point, though, it was loads of fun.

Definitely interested in Joker 2. Until that point, I guess I'll finish up another playthrough of Strange Journey.

Teknoman

Aeana said:
I made a low-key OT since I didn't think very many people here cared about the game. I guess I can fill in some stuff later to give people a better idea of why this is better than DQMJ1.

Yes please.

This honestly would've made for a nice budget title. Between me not liking Joker 1 very much (even though I was a fan of the GBC original) and the fact that we are not getting the Professional version, it's rather difficult to justify a full price purchase.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alchemy said:
Argh, when the heck can I fuse monsters?

Just got it, took me about
4-5 hours.

I soldiered through Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, took somewhere around 60 hours. Kind of enjoyed the game, enough that I grabbed a copy of Joker 2 yesterday along with Persona 2. I'll try to sit down and play it some time this weekend.

N4Us

rpmurphy said:
I couldn't chug through Joker... this time I might want to get a strategy guide, if it's available.

Definitely one available, saw a few copies of one at the shop.

I'm enjoying this much more than J1 already. I am finding it particularly easier to level up this time (thanks to substitution and more metal slimes around) and it doesn't feel like I've been forced to grind yet.

I will get this when it hits Europe (October).

I really enjoyed the first Joker (unlike most in this thread) so more of that is totally getting me excited.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to bump this and see if anyone else has this yet. I bought it with my new red 3DS. :p I'm excited to try it out and see what others are feeling about it.

la_briola

I sunk like X00h in the original game boy color version. This was *the* game besides Pokemon for me. How does Joker (and 2) compare to that version?

Aeana said:
Movement with the slide pad feels pretty good, less awkward. The game looks like junk upscaled, though, so I'm just playing it on my DSi instead like I did with the JP version, yes, pretty much just using L/R to turn while I hold forward.

Does the game have analog control built in or is it still just digital control but using the slide pad instead? I mean like FF3 DS has digital and analog.

Ultratech

SchleimanTank said:
Can you guys elaborate about the differences from 1?
I wanted to love Joker so much, but it just felt so slow and unrewarding compared to the previous games, I gave up halfway (the sun/moon dungeon IIRC). Like I posted in the DQM1 remake thread, battles were slow, recruiting monsters was slow (psyche up, psyche up, psyche up... etc), leveling up newly-born monsters took a long time so you got a bit discouraged from breeding and experimenting, which was a huge part of the fun in DQM1/2.

Also, how is the online? The first one seemed to be pretty much 100% dominated by hacked teams.

I'd say it's a much better experience than 1. Game chugs along much faster, and you can quickly get newly-created monsters leveled up fairly quick. Definitely helps to do a lot of fusion to get more powerful monsters and skills though.

As per online, there's far less hacking now as the game/servers check for hacked teams. Metals are also less useful now since monsters with high enough Attack (at least 1000+) can chew through them. And since they don't get much HP, they won't survive without Defense and Health Boosts.

There's also different monster sizes with some monsters taking up 2 or even 3 slots (Mega and Giant monsters). The Giant Monsters are pretty awesome, and can attack entire teams with their attacks, but they're pretty singled out since they're the only monster in your team. They make up for it with more powerful attacks at least. Mega Monsters operate on a similar level, but only take up 2 slots.

rpmurphy said:
I couldn't chug through Joker... this time I might want to get a strategy guide, if it's available.

Eh...it's not totally necessary. The game's not very complicated and any specialized fusion can be looked up online.

Although it's gonna suck if you try and go for the high-ranked boss monsters since most of them have complex fusion chains.
Especially
Rigor Mortex
since you need 2 of a certain monster you can only get once in the game.

Eusis

I'll definitely check this out when a good DS deal comes along (or Christmas, whichever comes first), but there's so much great stuff in the near future that, combined with NEEDING to get Devil Survivor sooner than later, it'll have to wait for now.

Zee-Row

Banned
Anybody get this at the Gamestop event? I love Anything Dragon Quest related that has artwork.

IMAG0160.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Zee-Row said:
Anybody get this at the Gamestop event? I love Anything Dragon Quest related that has artwork.

In Canada the GS event is on October 1st at select locations. Unfortunately the closest one to me is a 45 minute drive away :\

So what's the artbook like, and how is Grandpa Slime? Are they worth the trip?

Zee-Row

Banned
Kazerei said:
In Canada the GS event is on October 1st at select locations. Unfortunately the closest one to me is a 45 minute drive away :\

So what's the artbook like, and how is Grandpa Slime? Are they worth the trip?

Haven't scouted Grandpa Slime since hes way stronger than the current team i have. The booklet its neat , its not a strategy guide it just has 10 pages of monster art from the game.

N4Us

Something cool I just got: If you collect 50 monsters, the pen gives you a
Great Argon Lizard

Kazerei

Banned
So I finally beat the game (well, just the main story). I've been playing it in short bursts for like the past 6 weeks, 'cause it was so easy to pick up wherever I left off. You can save anywhere, and maps are divided into manageable areas. I'd just clear an area, save the game, and turn it off. Later I could start it up again and clear the next area. And so on.

First of all I want to say Joker 2 really is way more fun than Joker 1. The pacing is faster (monsters level up faster, you meet/acquire new monsters faster) so it always feels like you're making progress. Grinding metal slimes also seems easier. In my opinion Joker 1 got boring after awhile, just running around the same maps. But some of the new features in Joker 2, like giant monsters, sunny/bad weather, and respawning plants/ores/chests, help liven it up.

Ultimately, the focus is still on building up your monster party, but it seems less monotonous and more exciting in Joker 2. If you didn't like Joker 1, you should still give Joker 2 a try. I didn't like Joker 1 either, but Joker 2 has me hooked.

N4Us

Sagitario said:
Is Joker 1 worth playing or should I go straight to Joker 2?

I'd say go straight to J2 as well. It improved the whole formula dramatically and I can't think of any good reason to play J1 instead.

Beat it too a while back and enjoy it immensely. There's so many things to do post-game as well. One of my favorite games of the year.

Vice

This game, and DQVI, are now on clearance at target for $10.46. I picked up both of them for about $22 total. I'm happy to finally have a jrpg to kill time in waiting rooms with.

I just finished the main game with a party that I considered to be pretty weak. Awesome game. Way better than Joker, and I really liked Joker too. I think this took me 3 days to beat.

It's funny because I can't get into Pokemon games at all, but the 2 DQM games on the DS really sucked me in. I've got a lot more games in the backlog, so I'm going to stay away from the post game for now, but I really am tempted to put 100 more hours into it.

Oxx

The game is down to £17.99 @ Amazon UK (and Play) and I'm considering it.

I didn't really give it much thought to begin with, but after closing out DQVI I might be ready for more Dragon Quest.

It might go cheaper. I remember seeing the first DQM going for less than £10, but I think that Square Enix have been more conservative with their shipments since the early DS days.

(From my understanding, it's okay to post in this OT if I'm discussing the game even though it's 2 months dead, right?)

So I've been playing Joker 2 since launch, and have almost received enough tags to get the coveted "Ultra Slime". While the general complaints about tagging hold true for this game as well, I'd say it's even more annoying, because tagging is limited by MAC address. (As in, each tag saves the MAC of the DS the other game is in.)

This isn't so bad if you have access to 10 DSes (the list starts overwriting at 10) but...it's 10 DSes!

So at 183, I'm going to try to finish up in the next few weeks. Anyone have any goals or suggestions once I finish that?

I'm synthesizing 3 Leonyxes, each with the different levels Incarnus skillsets (1, 2, and 3)

...heck, I'm not even sure if someone will respond here. But figured I'd throw my hat into the OT, as I definitely got my value from Joker 2.

Top Bottom