• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest V DS: DQ Newcomer

ReyVGM

If you play DQ games in a way where all you do is go through a dungeon, or go from story-related place to story-related place without exploring the surroundings, then yes, you will need to grind.

However, if you take the time to explore dungeons and don't breeze from one place to the other, then the fights you encounter (as long as you don't run from them) will be enough to give you the necessary exp and money to avoid having to grind.

But, there are certain places where it's actually fun to grind, such as places with Metal Slimes or Metal Babbles. It feels incredibly rewarding killing one or several of them and receiving that huge exp boost.

Thanks again for all the info, I'm enjoying reading all the veteran advice and details. I'm getting the same fun vibe that I had from my Earthbound newbie thread I made a few years ago right before I played through that.

well let me tell you they're all gonna be not-as-good if you're starting with V

Yeah but I was told playing Chrono Trigger and EB would spoil me for JRPGs in general so I dunno, maybe you're right but I'm kinda skeptical. :p And even if you are right, I'm sure I'll enjoy another game in the series at some point regardless of how rose tinted my future memories of this game turn out to be. I'm not one of those folks who feels like their time was wasted just because other games in a series feel dated or "lesser" compared to a previous entry that was a personal favorite.

If you play DQ games in a way where all you do is go through a dungeon, or go from story-related place to story-related place without exploring the surroundings, then yes, you will need to grind.

However, if you take the time to explore dungeons and don't breeze from one place to the other, then the fights you encounter (as long as you don't run from them) will be enough to give you the necessary exp and money to avoid having to grind.

But, there are certain places where it's actually fun to grind, such as places with Metal Slimes or Metal Babbles. It feels incredibly rewarding killing one or several of them and receiving that huge exp boost.

I definitely like exploring off the beaten path whenever possible so I will definitely do that, thanks.

syncyes

Deborah would be the worst wife if it weren't for the fact that there is party chat in the DS version and it gives her much needed depth and characterization.

I was able to win a new, sealed copy of the game on ebay tonight for $39. Not bad considering new copies of the game go for between $60-70. Should be getting it late next week.

zashga

DQ5 is my favorite game in the series and one of the best console RPGs ever. It's nuts that we didn't get this game on SNES, back in the day. The DS version is fantastic.

Got the game, going to start playing it tonight. Once I get a decent feel for the mechanics I'll post my initial impressions:

EA8CD79C-838F-425D-B4BB-A65A0B8674BB-578-0000009D53E33C7B_zps926713d0.jpg

silentbum

Neo Member
Where did you manage to score a sealed copy of the game? I've wanted one for a while but I remembered it being hard to find due to a small print run.

Nera > Deborah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eating Battery Acid >>>>>>>>>>>>> Bianca.
Ahahahahaha Deborah is da best, my waifu. Nera
is in love with another too.
The story really wants you to go with Bianca, so I would go with her over Nera.
It really does force you, made me feel bad picking Deborah at first.

I wish I could erase my memory and replay this:( I'm gonna have to play it again one day.

Where did you manage to score a sealed copy of the game? I've wanted one for a while but I remembered it being hard to find due to a small print run.

I was able to win a new, sealed copy of the game on ebay tonight for $39. Not bad considering new copies of the game go for between $60-70. Should be getting it late next week.

It was a non-buy it now auction and I carefully bided my time and bid within the last few minutes. The dealer I got it from has been selling new copies for the past week or so.

takoyaki

V and VIII are my personal favorites in the series. If you've played Earthbound and Chrono Trigger before, then you've got the basics down. DQ in general is a more old-school kind of JRPG. Be prepared for some grinding (for EXP and Gold because the right equipment is pretty important in DQ games). If you're cool with everything taking a bit longer than in other JPRGs, enjoy the best DQ story and a fantastic soundtrack. The game takes around 40 hours if you don't rush through it.

V and VIII are my personal favorites in the series. If you've played Earthbound and Chrono Trigger before, then you've got the basics down. DQ in general is a more old-school kind of JRPG. Be prepared for some grinding (for EXP and Gold because the right equipment is pretty important in DQ games). If you're cool with everything taking a bit longer than in other JPRGs, enjoy the best DQ story and a fantastic soundtrack. The game takes around 40 hours if you don't rush it.

Thanks! This past summer I did the T-Rex bat challenge with Jeff in Earthbound for the first time and that took like an hour or two of grinding just for one (early) item so hopefully that helped cut my teeth a bit for this. 8)

Ultratech

Deborah>all. You know it to be the truth.

Her Party Chat is the best.

When you become able to recruit monsters, I recommend recruiting a Healslime or Slime Knight ASAP. Both very useful mid-game, though you'll probably replace them later on.

Yup. Both are good.

Slime Knight is just solid all around and can equip a lot of stuff and gets some Heal spells.
It's like a secondary Hero of sorts!

Healslimes (as well as Cureslimes and King Cureslimes) are handy since they can be an effective healer or just a straight-up Heal battery that stays in the Wagon.

Other good (and semi-obtainable) monsters:

Golem: Takes a bit before you get to them, but they're great with good stats and fairly good abilities that work well (for what it is). Easy to get too. Very solid.

Orc King: Stats are kinda meh, but they're pretty decent and get some good heal spells like Zing/Kazing.

Samigina: You can get these a good ways in and they're pretty good until you get much stronger characters/monsters to use.

takoyaki

Thanks! This past summer I did the T-Rex bat challenge with Jeff in Earthbound for the first time and that took like an hour or two of grinding just for one (early) item so hopefully that helped cut my teeth a bit for this. 8)

I think you're more than ready for DQ ;)

Grinding shouldn't be too much of a problem if you don't run from standard monster fights and buy the best gear in your current town. If your level isn't high enough, you'll notice it right away when you reach the boss in a dungeon, but even then 15 min of grinding are more than enough. Also, do a lot of healing during boss fights and you're good.

Her Party Chat is the best.

Yup. Both are good.

Slime Knight is just solid all around and can equip a lot of stuff and gets some Heal spells.
It's like a secondary Hero of sorts!

Healslimes (as well as Cureslimes and King Cureslimes) are handy since they can be an effective healer or just a straight-up Heal battery that stays in the Wagon.

Other good (and semi-obtainable) monsters:

Golem: Takes a bit before you get to them, but they're great with good stats and fairly good abilities that work well (for what it is). Easy to get too. Very solid.

Orc King: Stats are kinda meh, but they're pretty decent and get some good heal spells like Zing/Kazing.

Samigina: You can get these a good ways in and they're pretty good until you get much stronger characters/monsters to use.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to experimenting with the monster recruitment system. I never played Pokemon so that will be new for me.

I think you're more than ready for DQ ;)

Grinding shouldn't be too much of a problem if you don't run from standard monster fights and buy the best gear in your current town. If your level isn't high enough, you'll notice it right away when you reach the boss in a dungeon, but even then 15 min of grinding are more than enough. Also, do a lot of healing during boss fights and you're good.

Thanks again for the pointers. I have a feeling this will become a favorite for me right along with EB and CT.

takoyaki

Thanks again for the pointers. I have a feeling this will become a favorite for me right along with EB and CT.

Sure, if for whatever reason you don't like DQV, give Final Fantasy VI a shot. It's another great SNES JRPG that many consider the best in the series.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
C'mon guys. Deborah or bust.

Bianca is the stereotypical childhood-friend-becomes-lover and has that obnoxious bumpkin dialog and Flora is the boring princess who ends up being super boring due to her "oh player I love you and will do anything" attitude. Plus you'd be taking Flora away from her man.

Deborah hasn't got a chance with anyone. She's harsh and abusive at first, so nobody besides you would ever go for her. She's got the most hilarious dialog of all time--she constantly berates you at every opportunity, and it's a blast to see how she reacts to everything. She's also the most powerful of the three with her combat skills.

She softens up after you [separate spoiler just in case]
have children
, and she ends up truly loving you because you cared for her.

Deborah for life.

john tv

Among my top 5 games of all time. Favorite Dragon Quest, and I pretty much love them all.

Saying grinding is "wrong" is weird to me. Play the way that feels most comfortable to you. If you like having all the new equipment when you reach a new area, go for it! Exploring and fighting battles in DQ is fun and (IMO) stress-relieving, and there's nothing wrong with playing that way. (Of course there's nothing wrong with playing the other way either.) The game is amazing, IMO - have a good time with it and play it how you want to!

Among my top 5 games of all time. Favorite Dragon Quest, and I pretty much love them all.

Saying grinding is "wrong" is weird to me. Play the way that feels most comfortable to you. If you like having all the new equipment when you reach a new area, go for it! Exploring and fighting battles in DQ is fun and (IMO) stress-relieving, and there's nothing wrong with playing that way. (Of course there's nothing wrong with playing the other way either.) The game is amazing, IMO - have a good time with it and play it how you want to!

Thanks, John! I'm not worried about "grinding vs not grinding" at all, what you described has been pretty much my plan of approach while getting ready for this game. I'm the kind of person who enjoys experimenting with any game as much as possible and alternating my play styles. Can't wait to dig in and explore this game. Just started my file.

Edit: Btw those pictures you posted a few years ago on Twitter of your own hand drawn Dragon Quest monster notes from when you played through your import carts back in the day was part of my inspiration for getting interested in the series. :)

Blues1990

Thanks, John! I'm not worried about "grinding vs not grinding" at all, what you described has been pretty much my plan of approach while getting ready for this game. I'm the kind of person who enjoys experimenting with any game as much as possible and alternating my play styles. Can't wait to dig in and explore this game. Just started my file.

Edit: Btw those pictures you posted a few years ago on Twitter of your own hand drawn Dragon Quest monster notes from when you played through your import carts back in the day was part of my inspiration for getting interested in the series. :)

Upon reflection, I have to agree; Play however you feel is right, and enjoy the journey to becoming a father & finding the hero of legend. By the way, I hope my advice back on the first page will help you on your first playthrough of Dragon Quest V, and if there is anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask. :)

It's an incredible game and one of the finest games ever made - always has a place in my top 10. Can't say I'm much of a fan of the way it was localised on the DS though.

I prefer the SNES/PS2 versions since the fan translations played it straighter instead of adding weird regional accents, but the DS version has the most content, as it picks up the PS2's best additions and adds more of its own.

Also, monster "catching" can be pretty hit and miss since recruitment is so random. Bear in mind the only monster you can possibly get is the last one beaten in a battle.

Upon reflection, I have to agree; Play however you feel is right, and enjoy the journey to becoming a father & finding the hero of legend. By the way, I hope my advice back on the first page will help you on your first playthrough of Dragon Quest V, and if there is anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Thanks again, will do!

Exploring the boat now, digging the atmosphere so far.

john tv

Oh, awesome! Super stoked to hear it! :D

New copies that expensive, huh?
I got my DQ5 DS out of the bargain bin for 10. I almost feel bad.

Now on the haunted castle mission so I can get the cat, game is heating up. I've been dragged back to town three times now. :p

New copies that expensive, huh?
I got my DQ5 DS out of the bargain bin for 10. I almost feel bad.

I searched local bargain bins here for months with no success before I went to eBay. Seems like in my area most of the AAA 3rd party DS titles were cleared out or recalled a few years ago.

Also, I tonight I switched from 3DS to playing the game on my DS Lite at least for awhile, colors are so much brighter and vibrant.

Just beat the haunted castle and now have Saber in my team, saved my game for tomorrow. Ok, so am I no longer able to grind to get items in this particular town for now? I just need about 100 more gold to get the boomerang but now that it's day, the dumb guard won't let me leave anymore.

One thing that is taking some getting used to is not being able to wait and use another character when making a move. Active time system has spoiled me. Anyways, love the game so far.

Oh yeah, one more thing, as an Animal Crossing fan I'm very amused that there is a furniture/knick knack collection side quest in the game. Would have beaten the castle sooner but I just had to have Toff's tea set. ^__^

After a few days I returned to the game, here's where I am now:

412CF7BB-AA09-4D17-BA83-E041D5A47B4D-2746-000002BDBD5E8274_zpsabd4b685.jpg

I LOVE Fairy Lea, I could listen to the music all day. Plus I finally got enough gold to snag the boomerang, been rocking battles with that along with 'lil Saber and Honey. Good times:

6F356683-C22C-4567-B49A-7BCDA22E8883-2746-000002C4BD1A0970_zps989a7e75.jpg

Back in the groove with the game. Reached the adult phase and got my wagon. Been grinding for at least half an hour and haven't been able to recruit any monsters, is there a minimum level you have to be at? I'm currently at level 15. Anyways, this game is so awesome.

Edit: Never mind, just recruited my first beastie in the Whealbrook cave, a purple slime, ha. Guess it will be awhile until I can recruit better creatures.

Ultratech

Back in the groove with the game. Reached the adult phase and got my wagon. Been grinding for at least half an hour and haven't been able to recruit any monsters, is there a minimum level you have to be at? I'm currently at level 15. Anyways, this game is so awesome.

Edit: Never mind, just recruited my first beastie in the Whealbrook cave, a purple slime, ha. Guess it will be awhile until I can recruit better creatures.

Yeah, there are a few quirks with recruiting monsters that aren't made totally clear.

-The monster you want to recruit has to be the last (recruitable) one killed.
-The chances of recruitment are fixed; generally it's fixed at like 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. Most of the more powerful monsters have pretty crazy odds, making them a pain to recruit.
-You can recruit up to three of the same monster; though the odds of getting another monster after your first one decrease. (Not many reasons to try and do this.)
-And yes, there is a minimum level required to recruit the majority of monsters. It's not generally an issue though unless you're underleveled or wandering way off the beaten path.

Yeah, there are a few quirks with recruiting monsters that aren't made totally clear.

-The monster you want to recruit has to be the last (recruitable) one killed.
-The chances of recruitment are fixed; generally it's fixed at like 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. Most of the more powerful monsters have pretty crazy odds, making them a pain to recruit.
-You can recruit up to three of the same monster; though the odds of getting another monster after your first one decrease. (Not many reasons to try and do this.)
-And yes, there is a minimum level required to recruit the majority of monsters. It's not generally an issue though unless you're underleveled or wandering way off the beaten path.

Cool, thanks for the tips.

Hope it's ok to bump this. I'm still early in my quest and I haven't made progress because I'm rediculously obsessed to Captain Ahab levels with recruiting a Metal Slime in the Whealbrook cave. My hero character and Harry are both level 22, I also have a Drakee and a Fungus both apprx between 19-20. I've been grinding in that scrub cave for a month now (haven't been saving past lvl 22 to avoid being too overpowered), have killed many metal slimes and am even landing a decent amount of one-hit kills but not a single recruit. Should I give up and come back later when my stats are higher or is there a better area later to get Metal Slimes? I know it's silly to want one in my party this badly but I just *want one* ya know? Plus I know odds are against me since it's 1/250 chance to recruit but any tips would be appreciated.

After another hiatus and another futile grind fest for a Metal Slime recruit, I am back in the groove and finally got married (I chose Bianca, might go wild card and choose Debora next time). This is now my summer game, I'm officially addicted now and can't put it down.

I also have a sweet little monster party now. Yes, I named my Small Fry "Baragon" because I am that much of a Godzilla fanatic and love my Cure Slime which I got last week. My Drakee is also a beast now and landing lots of critical hits for me.

Oh yeah, and I was worried I was accidentally over leveled after my Metal Slime hunt but the newer enemies near the wedding's Villa have actually killed me more than a few times so I guess not.

Vorg

Banned
Oh man I have to play this. Already played through 8 and 4 and I'm about mid way through 9 now.

Top Bottom