• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - review thread

rockx4

Still on the fence for this. I loved 4, 5, 6, 9. I bought 7, and got bored after 15 hours. The fragment hunts couldn't keep me interested.

My ranking for the ones I played are 5 > 4 > 9 > 6, and I greatly enjoyed all 4 of them. Will I like 8 if I got bored of 7? :\

kurahador

Still on the fence for this. I loved 4, 5, 6, 9. I bought 7, and got bored after 15 hours. The fragment hunts couldn't keep me interested.

My ranking for the ones I played are 5 > 4 > 9 > 6, and I greatly enjoyed all 4 of them. Will I like 8 if I got bored of 7? :\

Yes. 8 is more traditional DQ unlike 7 and 9.

Vice

My ranking for the ones I played are 5 > 4 > 9 > 6, and I greatly enjoyed all 4 of them. Will I like 8 if I got bored of 7? :
8 is a lot closer to 5 than 7 was. It's one of the more straightforward DQ games.

Sanctuary

It's unfortunate that it doesn't look as good as the PS2 version, which I don't understand at all. I thought the 3DS was somewhat close to a PS2 or Game Cube in rendering ability.

NEO0MJ

It's unfortunate that it doesn't look as good as the PS2 version, which I don't understand at all. I thought the 3DS was somewhat close to a PS2 or Game Cube in rendering ability.

Close is a relative thing with hardware. Don't forget that the 3DS can cheat to get better looking new games using new technology but when it comes to running classic games it might not have access to them.

That website is really, really nice. I'm encouraged by the effort Nintendo has put into this and DQVII (with that nice 20hr walkthrough). Just wish their effort would be rewarded. :\

Well it is, but DQVIII is also a game developed specifically for PS2 hardware (3DS doesn't do well with games like DQVIII due to its super weak CPU). Even the mobile ports, done for hardware more powerful than PS2, compromised the visuals of DQVIII to some extent (neutered lighting, circle shadows, no heat haze effect, no sun/moon, less foliage etc).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Reminds me to pre-load it. I only just finished DQ7 a few weeks ago during the Christmas break so it was perfect timing.

Lothar

Banned
Huh?
In what way are they slow?

In just about every way, aside from the battles. You don't think it's slow? You spend longer in towns, dungeons, going place to place in the world, saving the game, managing weapons and armor and gold. It usually takes longer for major plot events to happen. Compared to Final Fantasy which is like a rollercoaster, DQ is like a tour ride. You need patience, you need to want to take in the towns and relax. I'm not saying that as a criticism. DQ is my favorite RPG series. I was upset they shortened the 3 hours of time before you get in a battle in DQ7.

Vice

How is 7 not a traditional DQ experience?
The opening and fragment finding sequences are a bit different. While other DQ games have skipped around times/areas Dq7 had a big focus on it. Some of the party member stuff felt a bit different as well. And it was a lot longer than most other games in the series that I've played (1,3,4,5,6,8,' and the monsters series).

Mar Nosso

Banned
Okay. But it doesn't have random battles.
I don't think you care, though, and just wanted to let everyone know that you aren't buying it.

Thanks for the update.

What, the 3DS version doesn't have random battles? That's a major change from the PS2 version then.

And I posted because I'm entitled to share my opinion on a game, whether it's positive or negative and whether you like it or not. Not to mention that I enjoyed the game up until the point the random battles got to be too much. But hey, you're free to feel offended that someone else isn't into a specific game as much as you are.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Did you know that enemies are now visible on-screen, allowing you to avoid them and explore at your leisure? And there is a faster speed for battles?

I didn't know that, no. It's a change for the better for sure, although I don't think I will double dip. Would rather wait for DQXI on the PS4 now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I guess I won't finish DQVII before this.

I didn't even get to the job system. Man that game is long. This game was a lot more enjoyable from what I remember of the PS2 version.

rybrad

What, the 3DS version doesn't have random battles? That's a major change from the PS2 version then.

And I posted because I'm entitled to share my opinion on a game, whether it's positive or negative and whether you like it or not. Not to mention that I enjoyed the game up until the point the random battles got to be too much. But hey, you're free to feel offended that someone else isn't into a specific game as much as you are.
This is the review thread and almost every English review linked in the OP mentions the random battle changes, many in the first couple of paragraphs. It is clear you didn't actually read the reviews and just came in here to post your negative experiences about the previous iteration of the game without seeing what changed.

Mar Nosso

Banned
This is the review thread and almost every English review linked in the OP mentions the random battle changes, many in the first couple of paragraphs. It is clear you didn't actually read the reviews and just came in here to post your negative experiences about the previous iteration of the game without seeing what changed.

Exactly right. As if sharing a negative experience with a game is not allowed or acceptable. It's a review thread for a game that in its original form I abandoned and I said precisely that. The problem seems to be that you view the review thread as a place for fans only. But that's your problem, not mine.

Anyway, too much commotion for a game that I actually have fond memories of, despite having not finished it due to saturation of the random battles of the original version. Offended people will be offended.

And to move things along:

Yes. 8 is more traditional DQ unlike 7 and 9.

Why is this so? 7 was always intriguing to me, but I never got around to giving it a go.

Linkura

You will love 8.

The opening and fragment finding sequences are a bit different. While other DQ games have skipped around times/areas Dq7 had a big focus on it. Some of the party member stuff felt a bit different as well. And it was a lot longer than most other games in the series that I've played (1,3,4,5,6,8,' and the monsters series).

It's a weird thought to me since I think Dragon Quest is a game that has played with it's form in just about every entry since 4. Despite being so conservative in design there's so much variety within the series in how the games are structured.

If you'd call DQ8 a more traditional JRPG experience I'd agree. It's more linear and character driven than some other entries which is what people seem to prefer out of the genre in the west. It also has the highest quality production values with probably the most timeless in game visuals/aesthetics in the series.

But calling it a more traditional DQ than VII or any other DQ game just seems wrong to me lol

That said, gotta remember to preorder this tomorrow for the sleeve at gamestop.

Strangely enough I didn't really like the absence of random battles in this port. I remember just walking through the first 2 dungeons straight to the boss not having to fight a single enemy and thinking "dungeons sure became pointless now".

I don't know. It's really weird.

Aeana

Strangely enough I didn't really like the absence of random battles in this port. I remember just walking through the first 2 dungeons straight to the boss not having to fight a single enemy and thinking "dungeons sure became pointless now".

I don't know. It's really weird.

I prefer random battles, but that mindset will only get you so far, obviously. If you don't fight then you are going to have trouble later.

I definitely have a completely different mindset when I play games with visible enemies, unless the environments are so tight that you can't possibly avoid them. I have to tell myself, "just keep walking forward, let enemies run into you."

I prefer random battles, but that mindset will only get you so far, obviously. If you don't fight then you are going to have trouble later.

I definitely have a completely different mindset when I play games with visible enemies, unless the environments are so tight that you can't possibly avoid them. I have to tell myself, "just keep walking forward, let enemies run into you."

I did plenty of fighting...outside of the dungeons. Which means that there is no point in wasting resources on the way to the boss. Dungeons are usually meant to test your skills and resource management ability but now they are just a leisurely stroll.

Dakhil

HappyConsoleGamer uploaded a review of Dragon Quest VIII on YouTube around 2 hours ago. And whilst he didn't give a numerical score, he did recommend it.

Biske

There is something nice about random battles.

But its also super tedious when you are just trying to make it through some place, specially if you only have a couple minutes or limited time to play, but still want to make some progress, but keep getting battle after battle.

jblank83

There is something nice about random battles.

But its also super tedious when you are just trying to make it through some place, specially if you only have a couple minutes or limited time to play, but still want to make some progress, but keep getting battle after battle.

I liked the way Bravely Default addressed this, by allowing you to change the encounter rate.

DQ did this by giving spells/items that eliminated encounters with low level monsters.

Seth

i couldn't really get into 7. it didn't feel like there was much of a story and just had me running around doing uninteresting things that i didn't care to be doing. in fact, i couldn't finish it. which doesn't happen very often, i can at least power through to the end. I just got so incredibly bored with 7. I really wanted to like it.

Any chance ill like 8?

i couldn't really get into 7. it didn't feel like there was much of a story and just had me running around doing uninteresting things that i didn't care to be doing. in fact, i couldn't finish it. which doesn't happen very often, i can at least power through to the end. I just got so incredibly bored with 7. I really wanted to like it.

Any chance ill like 8?
If that was your complaint about 7, probably. 8 is much more overarching story-based compared to the vignette style in 7.

Knurek

Any chance ill like 8?

High chance. It's nothing like 7.

Biske

Any chance ill like 8?

7 and 8 are very different beasts. I love 7, but it is kind of back tracking the game, a lot of the stories I think are awesome, but yeah...

8 is a much more smooth experience, I think you'll like 8 a lot more.

Linkura

Any chance ill like 8?

If you like JRPGs in general, you will love it.

Anoxida

I would've prefered random encounters in DQVII because of the tight enviroments. I do prefer visible enemies since I can explote areas for treasure at my own leisure. I usually tend to farm a bit then when im done I explore the map. Guess I prefer fighting on my own terms. DQ8 with its bigger areas should be great for people who dont like RE. With that said, yeah, dont forget to battle.

jackal27

Banned

My ranking for the ones I played are 5 > 4 > 9 > 6, and I greatly enjoyed all 4 of them. Will I like 8 if I got bored of 7? :
8 is one of the best ones ever and I'm right there with you friend. If you loved those others you mentioned, you'll love this one.

pronk420

I got this early, it runs way better than I was expecting. Being a PS2 game I was expecting it to chug pretty badly but so far (hour and a half in) it looks really smooth. I can't tell if its 30 or 60 but its not bad at all.

I don't remember the PS2 version well enough to comment on the graphics in comparison.

Shame there is no 3D though.

TrutaS

Looks like the perfect sendoff for the 3DS. Loved Dragon Quest 7 despite it being a bit too long. If this is even better then I will love it for sure.

Pre-ordered and highly anticipated!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Very likely. A much more straightforward adventure than the other titles you mention with a more personable cast of characters that feel entwined in the narrative comparatively to a group of saviors doing good deeds for random villages for the sake of it. Big cohesive world you journey through with much improved pacing as well. It's largely one of the best entries in the entire run.

Dakhil

I've found a lot of non-English reviews of Dragon Quest VIII, so here we go.

The sites that gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of a 9/10 are GamesVillage.it, Gamer-Network, and Gamereactor España.

IGN France gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 8.8/10, whilst Anagund gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 17/20, and 4Players gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 83/100.

And finally, GamAlive gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 3.5/5.

Can January 20th please come sooner? I don't know if I can wait any longer.

Dakhil

Here are a couple of English reviews.

Brash Games gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 8/10 whilst SA Gamers gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 9.2/10. Destructoid has a review in progress, and I'll make sure to update once the review is complete. And the OpenCritic score dropped from a 85 to a 84.

And here are a couple of more non-English reviews.

Gamesurf gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 9/10, whilst Journal du Gamer gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 8.5/10, and Gamekult gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 7/10.

Edit: Here's the first review of Dragon Quest VIII in Czech. Zing.cz gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 7/10.

If you're currently living in Spain, you can enter a drawing to not get a chance to win not only a copy of Dragon Quest VIII, but also a New Nintendo 3DS XL! But you better hurry since you have until 23:59 (CET or UTC+01:00) today to enter the drawing!

Top Bottom