• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII Slime Controller (Hori)

Solid

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

slime1.jpg

slime2.jpg

WOW! As much as I am tired of slime creature #1,200,530,383 in RPGs, that controller not only looks funny, but might actually be pretty comfortable compared to the standard DS2. Is it squishy, though?

YES!
YES!
YES!

What I really want - and I didn't know this until I saw those photos, but suddenly I know it now - what I really want is a shiny silver Metal Slime controller. That is what I want.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
HOLY SHIT!

I am importing this no matter what the cost. That is single-handedly the greatest controller ever devised by man!

It's 3,129 yen (29 dolllars). Not too bad for such a nice looking controller. It also has an attachment cable so when you aren't using it you can use it for decoration.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
MightyHedgehog said:
Did a slime run you over or something? Come on...it's soooo cute-looking!
yes, it's cute. But I don't think it makes a good controller.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I am so down with a slime controller!!! so down!

the idea that simple, presumably assexual slimes have knobs and buttons on their undercarriage is kinda frightening... but hot.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Guys let's take this seriously now. Horii did not create a Slime controller with ergonomics as the primary goal. Obviously getting the design of the creature perfectly melded together with a PS2 controller was the first choice. They accomplished that and in a semi-useable fashion too (it appears to be somewhat comfortable). This is a controller for DQ fans and no one else; complaining about it being unusable won't accomplish much.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Genius! So very fucking sold.
Now rerelease all of the DQ's so the true fans can play them all on the PS2 with the slime controller!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
RevenantKioku said:
Now rerelease all of the DQ's so the true fans can play them all on the PS2 with the slime controller!
While all of us are wearing nothing but slime boxers and sitting on our comfy Slime beanbag chairs.

That would be so grand.

Seriously, I would love nothing more but to have all of the DQ games ported to the PS2 and brought over to the US. If I had that and my Slime controller I would die a happy man.

jarrod

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I'd bet a DQ6 remake is coming (probably using the same Torneko 3 engine that DQ5 PS2 used). Then you'd only need DQ1-3 released on PS1 or PS2. :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
jarrod said:
I'd bet a DQ6 remake is coming (probably using the same Torneko 3 engine that DQ5 PS2 used). Then you'd only need DQ1-3 released on PS1 or PS2. :)

Converter + Gamecube + Player + GBC remakes would be closest...still, I'd need to step up my Japanese, cause I doubt we're ever getting DQ4-6 remakes. :(

I need more slime plushes.

JackFrost2012 said:
YES!
YES!
YES!

What I really want - and I didn't know this until I saw those photos, but suddenly I know it now - what I really want is a shiny silver Metal Slime controller. That is what I want.

So what you're saying...is that you want a Slimebird?

Damnit, I need to order that controller now.

jarrod

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
still, I'd need to step up my Japanese, cause I doubt we're ever getting DQ4-6 remakes. :(
Actually, I'd think a DQ5-6 Collection might make it to the US late in PS2's lifecycle. DQ4 is a no hoper though, since Heartbeat no longer exists and SCEA won't allow PS1 games in PS2 bundles. :/

Slime let me touch you

Drek said:
Looks kinda like a blue launch Xbox controller. :D
Yeah, I was thinking the same.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
3rd party d-pad = no sale
This does throw me off a bit. A Horii pad, made for Square Enix, doesn't seem to use all the same controller parts, and it's still officially licensed by Sony. Maybe the sunken D-pad just couldn't work on a curved surface?

BobbyRobby said:
I want DQ1-7 with DQ8 graphics.

I can dream, can't I?
Seeing as the original Dragon Quest has shown up in 4 significantly different forms in the last 20 years, this not happening would be more surprising. It's just a matter of time.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Seeing as the original Dragon Quest has shown up in 4 significantly different forms in the last 20 years, this not happening would be more surprising. It's just a matter of time.
DQ1 is the easy way out... none of the other games have as many remakes. Redoing any DQ game using the DQ8 engine likely isn't worth the massive amount of resources it'd take for Square Enix though sadly... I'd say DS/PSP remakes of the older stuff would be much more likely at this point (DS looking more likely than PSP too).

jarrod said:
DQ1 is the easy way out... none of the other games have as many remakes. Redoing any DQ game using the DQ8 engine likely isn't worth the massive amount of resources it'd take for Square Enix though sadly... I'd say DS/PSP remakes of the older stuff would be much more likely at this point (DS looking more likely than PSP too).
At this point, sure. As long as Dragon Quest remains as popular as it is, though, there will probably be remakes of some of them hitting in 5, 10, or 15 years. At which point it would be pretty pathetic if the technology lagged behind Dragon Quest VIII.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Holy shit, I must have it... only thing I'm wondering is whether or not it's comfortable... hopefully it's a bit smaller than it looks in those pictures.

Drek

It'd be damn cool if everything but the controller face itself was all gelly like stress balls. :) then it'd be super comfortable to use too. :D

belgurdo

Banned
Drek said:
It'd be damn cool if everything but the controller face itself was all gelly like stress balls. :) then it'd be super comfortable to use too. :D

I just got a mental image of that.

That's weird stuff

thefit

The squishy stress ball material would definately make it comfortable and would also help in releaving some stress by one sqeesing the hell out of it in a rage rather than the usual toss the controller at the wall routine. The squishy head could also be used by teh gaymers out there... you know you can like sit on it....yeah i should stop thinking now.

Top Bottom