• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

maelstroms4ena.gif

Never gets old.

That's awesome.
Although, not as epic as summoning large meteors from the sky.

Getting destroyed by Death. Oh hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSwGnb2mB8
One hit kills? OH GOD!

Kyoufu

Plsying Dragon's Dogma for the first time with this one. Any consensus on what are some of the most enjoyable class types?

They're all fun. Most popular choices are Assassin and Mystic Knight I think, but you can't go wrong with any of them. You'll eventually try them all anyway.

abundant

They're all fun. Most popular choices are Assassin and Mystic Knight I think, but you can't go wrong with any of them. You'll eventually try them all anyway.

I'd say the only class that should be avoided is the Mage class. It's not bad when you first start the game, but once you can unlock Sorcerer, do it and forget about being a Mage. Pawns should only be Mages.

God, I completely forgot about this game.

I played this game to dead a year ago but I somehow neglected it over time because the amount of time I had to travel was not helping my progress, mainly because I can only play an hour or two per session.

Hearing about Dark Arisen and the easier fast travel has made me crawl out of my backlog of games and actually anticipating this one.

Definitely going Ranger again. My most favorite class of the entire game. Makes me feel like a bad-ass Legolas.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Imma give that whole dungeon a lesson in why assassins are god tier. My eng is just ridiculous these days. I'm hoping that there are enough large monsters to keep me entertained....

I feel like maximus in vanilla... ;-)

Zaventem

GregaMan said:
Player

-Various attacks and skills for all weapons have been rebalanced for all weapons.

Cool.I plan on picking up the game but i've been looking at skill videos and Sorcerer damage looks like it outshines everyone else's?

abundant

Cool.I plan on picking up the game but i've been looking at skill videos and Sorcerer damage looks like it outshines everyone else's?

Not really. Assassins and Mystic Knights are the two most OP classes in the game.

High level Sorcerer spells are indeed strong, but they're balanced by how long it takes to activate them.

branny

I'm really curious how Sorc is gonna be. Indoors in vanilla they are ridiculous, but I'm not so sure running around solo with a Sorc is all that feasible if Death gets to all your party members. Cast times and mobs of quick enemies didn't go so well together the last time I played.

Kyoufu

I'm really curious how Sorc is gonna be. Indoors in vanilla they are ridiculous, but I'm not so sure running around solo with a Sorc is all that feasible if Death gets to all your party members. Cast times and mobs of quick enemies didn't go so well together the last time I played.

Light attack is all you ever need with Sorcerer.

T.O.P

Banned
Derp, found the DD vanilla at 10€ and i decided to buy it without thinking about this upgraded version, donnow if i should just keep playing

i'm enjoying the hell out of it but i forgot all the side quest in the first town and running all the way back is already out of question, how is the fast travel implemented here? i might just buy this asap if it will solve the travel problem

Not really. Assassins and Mystic Knights are the two most OP classes in the game.

High level Sorcerer spells are indeed strong, but they're balanced by how long it takes to activate them.
Roll with a whole group of sorcerers and that balance gets thrown out the window.

abundant

i'm enjoying the hell out of it but i forgot all the side quest in the first town and running all the way back is already out of question, how is the fast travel implemented here? i might just buy this asap if it will solve the travel problem

There's 1 extra fixed Port Crystal and 4 extra removable Port Crystals added to the game. Ferrystones are also cheaper.

T.O.P

Banned
There's 1 extra fixed Port Crystal and 4 extra removable Port Crystals added to the game. Ferrystones are also cheaper.

sounds like an improvement overall

Does anyone know if the game is Region Free on the 360? the first one was, it would be easier to buy it directly on Amazon IT instead of ordering from the US one, damn my ntsc console :<

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd say the only class that should be avoided is the Mage class. It's not bad when you first start the game, but once you can unlock Sorcerer, do it and forget about being a Mage. Pawns should only be Mages.

Pawns should only be mages, or only pawns should be mages?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I just looked at the old OT. There's basically fighter and warrior for pure melee classes? Is there any benefit to sword and board tanking in this game? Or is it just better to go all out melee with warrior?

Kyoufu

So I just looked at the old OT. There's basically fighter and warrior for pure melee classes? Is there any benefit to sword and board tanking in this game? Or is it just better to go all out melee with warrior?

You can play with sword and board if you want. Very versatile game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You can play with sword and board if you want. Very versatile game.

But is there a point to actually tanking stuff in this game? Is there a threat system in the game? Would you have a tank in your party if you weren't one?

Fighter is still different enough from Warrior that if you like its skills than you can use it fine. Skill's like Dragon's Maw is great for a fighter, since it does good damage and you sweep around with a combo. Warrior plays a lot differently and their fast attack is a jumping light attack for small fry. Most of their attacks need to be charged or are rather slow, so it's a much different pace.

You can tank because at times you can be really annoyed by your mage who gets distracted really easily or gets interrupted by a gently gentle breeze so you can taunt so you can get that buff you want by having your mage finally finish casting it or get your sorc to actually charge a spell if they are getting mobbed. You can also do a just defense with a shield by blocking at a perfect time and it would instantly topple enemies like the chimeras, so that's how a shield can be really useful. Later in the game it viable to have a tank because some things like the hellhounds are assholes who try to interrupt anything they see, so a spellcasting pawn might do crap at all. Of course the nice thing in this game is you can play anything you want and have it work.

Kyoufu

But is there a point to actually tanking stuff in this game? Is there a threat system in the game? Would you have a tank in your party if you weren't one?

There are aggro gaining abilities with the shield but generally, nope, not much point. You'll be doing more damage than your pawns 95% of the time so there's no point in being a "tank".

There is a point in using Sword and Board though. Some classes use them to increase survivability while still being able to output a lot of damage.

edit: I used a Fighter pawn early in the game. It helped, but I soon outgrew that need.

I'm an expert

I'm kind of in the mood to play a tank, but leaving all the damage to my pawns would suck indeed. Are the stats from weapons/shields enough to make a tank dps viable? No idea if gear even gives you stats like a game like Origins or Souls.

I'm kind of in the mood to play a tank, but leaving all the damage to my pawns would suck indeed. Are the stats from weapons/shields enough to make a tank dps viable? No idea if gear even gives you stats like a game like Origins or Souls.

Yea one handed swords are very strong. You also have decent attack skills as a fighter. Though keep in mind that stat growth is related to vocation. Assassin gives the most strength but honestly in this game you can grow in most classes and not be gimped because you become very strong.

I'm an expert

Feels weird playing a starter class all the way through but I might try it. There's a bit of mixing and matching talents from other classes though?

Feels weird playing a starter class all the way through but I might try it. There's a bit of mixing and matching talents from other classes though?

Only passives really. Some core skills carry between classes like the basic sword skills for a fighter and mystic knight but most of the skills are unique to a class. Once you get bored of a class, you should switch imo. It's best to keep it as fresh as possible because the classes are really different from each other.

Abylim

Majorly disappointed about the lack of trophies at all.
I just dont get how you can release content and not have extra achievements or trophies in this day and age. The price is tempting, but I already Plat'd DD.

Xander51

I just dont get how you can release content and not have extra achievements or trophies in this day and age. The price is tempting, but I already Plat'd DD.

Maybe just play it for the hours and hours of new content and not worry about trophies?

gioGAF

I'm so glad to hear about "no more trophies". Add-on content should be compelling enough on its own, it should not need (or have) trophies. Dark Souls is a perfect example, Artorias of the Abyss is totally worth playing, fun should be what you want.

I see adding trophies to DLC as a scummy practice to get the OCDs to pay for crap that they don't want and that isn't even good to begin with.

I'm an expert

Oh man please don't bring the trophy stuff in here. Regardless of what you think of them, leaving out a simple feature nowadays will turn some people off. In the end it's Capcom's loss.

Abylim

Maybe just play it for the hours and hours of new content and not worry about trophies?

I dont know how long the new content is. I loved the game, so I'm picking it up eventually. It comes off as cheap or lazy to not include something that pretty much everyone else does.

Every other game or DLC of late has them, why not include them?

I'm sorry if this pisses some people off, but this a forum, and I should be allowed to share an opinion.

jiggle

is there a way to change job(with full skill benefits) yet?
lost my Sorcerer save and really don't want to use my assassin one :<

Abylim

I'm so glad to hear about "no more trophies". Add-on content should be compelling enough on its own, it should not need (or have) trophies. Dark Souls is a perfect example, Artorias of the Abyss is totally worth playing, fun should be what you want.

I see adding trophies to DLC as a scummy practice to get the OCDs to pay for crap that they don't want and that isn't even good to begin with.

Didnt see this when I posted.

So, you're happy that there is less content in this? What do you gain from them leaving it out?

Card Boy

Banned

lol this is what's wrong with gamers this generation.

gioGAF

Didnt see this when I posted.

So, you're happy that there is less content in this? What do you gain from them leaving it out?

Like piratepwnsninja said, "Trophies are content?"

And just like some of you are already saying, I'm sharing my opinion. You may want the trophies there, they may add to your experience. I don't want them there, they detract from my experience.

Annoying immersion breaking pop-ups that I can't completely disable. If console makers gave me the option of turning them off, then I would have no problem with you getting your "content".

I'm an expert

Trophies are content?

Yes, they are. Sorry, there's no real way to argue they aren't, whether you partake in them or not.

Like piratepwnsninja said, "Trophies are content?"

And just like some of you are already saying, I'm sharing my opinion. You may want the trophies there, they may add to your experience. I don't want them there, they detract from my experience.

Annoying immersion breaking pop-ups that I can't completely disable. If console makers gave me the option of turning them off, then I would have no problem with you getting your "content".

LOL. You can't be fuckin serious.

Top Bottom