• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I think I am at a pretty even 50/50 gender split for my pawn hires, only I have to go much more out of my way to find male pawns since there are so many females. I always pick pawns based on their looking unique or original in some way. I actively avoid hiring any dolled up girls or ones designed to look like little kids and any that have what I deem a "stupid" name. If your pawn is elderly, fat, skinny, ugly, black or any other non-caucasian, there's like a 99.9% chance I want it on my team.

Golnei

Oh my gawd, and you know it's the same team from DMC , so they could totally do it.

Speaking of DMC crossovers, it'd be perfect if they could find some way to put Force Edge and Sparda's outfit in DD2 or DDO - they'd fit the generic fantasy aesthetic better than anything else they could use. The latter could even reuse the DMC4SE models.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think I am at a pretty even 50/50 gender split for my pawn hires, only I have to go much more out of my way to find male pawns since there are so many females. I always pick pawns based on their looking unique or original in some way. I actively avoid hiring any dolled up girls or ones designed to look like little kids and any that have what I deem a "stupid" name. If your pawn is elderly, fat, skinny, ugly, black or any other non-caucasian, there's like a 99.9% chance I want it on my team.
*fist-bump*

The other day I stumbled a fat old matron mage pawn, and I hired her instantly. I was so proud of the creator for making a non-typical pawn so I looked up her creator.
Turned out to be an in-game Capcom pawn. :(

Ullus

Did you give it one of the horrible, demonic, pitched down "deep" voices that makes him sound like one of those people interviewed on TV who needs their identity masked?

Because I've kinda stopped hiring men because people keep using one of those voices and it's distracting as hell.

No, I use the slightly older sounding voice. 2 or 5 i think.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm going back to a rank 1 totally different vocation is...jarring :/ especially when youre out of sidequests (err I dont mean boardquests) and you only have the main quest to do. Guess I should save the sorceror leveling for later when I have more quests again

or is there a good place to grind xp for some ranks? walk around at night and hope for chimeras? :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate how, when testing voices for pawns, you only hear the grunts. I pick voice 1 for male pawns 'cause it sounds decent. I think it's Troy Baker too. xD

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I hate how, when testing voices for pawns, you only hear the grunts. I pick voice 1 for male pawns 'cause it sounds decent. I think it's Troy Baker too. xD
When you zoom in on their face and then do the "View Poses" thingy it eventually cycles to them saying "Prepare yourself for combat!" or something which does a better job at previewing their voices.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hmm going back to a rank 1 totally different vocation is...jarring :/ especially when youre out of sidequests (err I dont mean boardquests) and you only have the main quest to do. Guess I should save the sorceror leveling for later when I have more quests again

or is there a good place to grind xp for some ranks? walk around at night and hope for chimeras? :p

you could go for high game enemies but i normally level a new class fast enough killing bandits and undead infront of gran soren

I remember someone in this thread saying you should find a quest in gran soren after the pawns guild quest, but I don't remember what it was. Does anyone know?

I'm in the same boat as of last night. I'll try again later this evening. I know a friend was using her so even if nobody else has, I should have at least something from the two times he dismissed/rehired.

Yay! Got two rentals of my pawn and she brought me... a rotten fish and a skull... I'm not sure what they were trying to tell me. Well, the rating was good and I got 17K RC, so at least there was that.

ENB with high precision rendering + subtle noise effect = NO MORE BANDING

you can actually even see details that you couldn't see before, and it looks even better in-game, you don't see all those little specs as much as you do in this screenshot.

noband_zpskbnuveqn.png~original

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
you could go for high game enemies but i normally level a new class fast enough killing bandits and undead infront of gran soren
There's a Wight north-east of the Greatwall Encampment who will summon an infinite amount of Undead Warriors at night whom you can easily farm for quick vocation levelling. You just have to make sure your Pawns are unarmed so they don't kill the Wight which would obviously stop him from summoning undeads. Since it's close to the encampment you can basically rest there until nightfall, kill undeads the entire night and rinse & repeat come dawn. I maxed a vocation in two nights like that just now. Make sure you have Pawns with you, though, as the undead would otherwise give you too many XP.

ref

ENB with high precision rendering + subtle noise effect = NO MORE BANDING

you can actually even see details that you couldn't see before, and it looks even better in-game, you don't see all those little specs as much as you do in this screenshot.

Is there an FPS drop when using this?

I recently used wickfut's AA + AO only preset and it dropped my frames by about 25 fps. Gotta have that smooth 120+ fps at all times.

So just quick question. I'm not big on PC gaming and my computer is proof of that. I like having all the settings on the highest, except for HDR obviously. I can run DD on max at 720p @ 60FPS and 1080p @ 30FPS. Both are rock solid. Which do you think is a better experience?

Normally I wouldn't go for 720p but after playing it again on PS3 I would call 60FPS a big upgrade lol

Asking again.

Samaritan

You're very welcome. I'm curious though, has it increased your loading times at all? Prior to using GeDo the longest loading time I ever saw was around 5 seconds or so using an ssd where as now they range from 20 to 30 seconds.

Totally! I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it or not, but I've definitely noticed an increase in load times. Nothing like 20 to 30 seconds, but I'm running the game off of my SSD and my load times are far longer than they should be for this kind of a game. I'll try playing without the GeDoSaTo enhancements and see how load times are.

Spoilers for post-Dragon:

After killing Grigori and you return to Gran Soren, you can speak to the Duke; after meeting him the guards will now become hostile to you while you're in the upper part of Gran Soren, outside the gate to the castle.

Switch to whatever vocation you want to level, equip any DCP boosting gear (if you have any), hop on the wall in front of the chapel, and let your party kill the infinitely spawning guards until you max the vocation. Doesn't take too long either, maybe 30min.

That's the most efficient way because the guards only net you ~100xp, and once you pass 100xp, the amount of DCP earned per kill gets reduced quite a bit. I believe if the kill is 100xp or less, you get 75% of that in DCP.

Could we get the preset?
You can use any recent preset, just make sure high precision mode is enabled, and make sure there is an effect.txt file with the noise effect included with the ENB. Also make sure HDR is set to HIGH in the game settings of course or ENB won't work.

I set the noise effect to these so that it is very subtle:
Grain Motion = 1.0000
Grain Saturation = 1.000
Grain Intensity 0.001

you can adjust the effect by bringing up the in game ENB editor, and opening up the effect.txt tab in the shader parameters window. I also turned off Edge Smoothing and LumaSharpen in the effect.txt settings.

I have no ENB effects enabled at all so it's not really worth sharing lol

Is there an FPS drop when using this?

I recently used wickfut's AA + AO only preset and it dropped my frames by about 25 fps. Gotta have that smooth 120+ fps at all times.
If you don't use any ENB effects at all, the FPS impact will be very small, if any at all. Just uncheck all the extra stuff like AO, DoF, BLOOM, etc, and then CHECK UseOriginalPostProcessing. It should then look like vanilla DDDA.

draetenth

Finally, got around to playing last night. Still as good as I remember. This time around I'm trying for a balanced/min-max (yes, I know it isn't necessary - I've played the game before so this is something I'm doing for fun) build. I've also been rushing to BBI and abusing hard mode to get Rings of Perseverance. I want to get two for myself and two for my pawn. So far, I have 3 out of 4. Feel a bit bad about summoning some pawns as fodder/distractions.

Managed to get to level 10 and switch right away. Now I just need to get the last Ring of Perseverance and get my pawn to level 10 so I can switch vocations for her. Then I can finally get started on the story.

FWIW here's my Arisen build I'm going for (credit to Karathrax at GameFAQs who came up with it - it looked fun to me):

1-10 Strider
11 - 40 M. Knight
41 - 100 Assassin
101 - 200 Sorcerer

Pawn (also from GameFAQs, can't remember the user who came up with it though):

1 - 10 Fighter
11 - 73 Ranger
74 - 100 Warrior
101 - 176 Sorcerer
177 - 199 Ranger
199 - 200 Strider

In addition to min-maxing, I've also made it a goal to max out as much as my pawn's knowledge of everything as I can.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I believe if the kill is 100xp or less, you get 75% of that in DCP.[/SPOILER]
It's about 40% without DCP boosting gear with a rapidly decreasing ratio the more XP you get. It gets to like 1% when you gain much more than 1000 XP, kinda crazy. The Asura Armour doubles the conversion ratio, though.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Game still says zero people hired my pawn. I don't think I've ever seen another green-skinned pawn in the rift. I would have hoped at least one person saw it and hired it based on originality alone, but I guess not. Oh well.

i really hope is enough for capcom, at least to bring ddonline to the west.

It's more than enough for release numbers.
According to wiki, the console version sold 331,064 copies during its first week on sale in Japan and 92,000 within 5 days in US. I doubt it'll reach 1 million worldwide after a month on Steam like on consoles though. It'll reach that number longer, and hopefully will sell much more in the long run. They can bring DDO later this year or next year, to keep the hype alive for DD 2.

Game still says zero people hired my pawn. I don't think I've ever seen another green-skinned pawn in the rift. I would have hoped at least one person saw it and hired it based on originality alone, but I guess not. Oh well.

There are some reports that it hasn't reached everyone yet, or still kinda bugged.
Try resting in the inn again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'll hire yours when I play later tonight. Sent you a request on Steam, add me!

bathsalts

thinking about swapping from assassin to warrior. I like using swords but all the cool stuff for assassin are for daggers. really wish there was a sword equivalent for dodge roll and double jump lol

swinging around big swords seems fun

O and it is, the greatness of the pommel bash->eviscerate->exodus slash combo will not be denied.

It does seem rather silly that swords are completely outclassed by daggers on Assassin though, everything single skill has a better dagger version, only slightly better reach and crowd control.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

If you zoom in on their face enough, the option to "view/change pose" will change to "view expressions" and they'll say "Steel yourself for combat" in the selected voice. Pretty handy. Took me a long time to figure it out, though.

What really annoys me is when inspecting pawns in the Rift or out in the world and you decide to hire one, and their voice is completely different from before. I get the impression that pawns are all presented with the same default voice (one for males, another for females) and it isn't until they've been hired by you that you actually hear their real pitch.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
How long do I have to rest in an inn for Gorechimeras to respawn?

Golnei

What really annoys me is when inspecting pawns in the Rift or out in the world and you decide to hire one, and their voice is completely different from before. I get the impression that pawns are all presented with the same default voice (one for males, another for females) and it isn't until they've been hired by you that you actually hear their real pitch.

That seems to be the case - the processed, echoey voices used in the rift are separate defaults with no pitch variations. It's a shame there probably isn't a full voicebank using those filters, I wouldn't mind having a pawn use it in gameplay.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you zoom in on their face enough, the option to "view/change pose" will change to "view expressions" and they'll say "Steel yourself for combat" in the selected voice. Pretty handy. Took me a long time to figure it out, though.
Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. Maybe I'll check out the non-Troy Baker voices some time... xD

That's weird... I don't know if that ever happened to me, but I did notice that pawns only seem to get 2 voices per gender. Maybe they're just really popular choices but it's odd that I never heard a female pawn with a different voice than either the soft-spoken one or the more "badass" or mature voice, and males either have the Troy Baker voice (the one that seems to mumble the "Yes, Arisen?") or the kind of whiny/nasal one I don't like. I did hear the deeper male voice maybe once or twice (the one someone said sounds like people on TV who remain anonymous, lol) but it's exceedingly rare.

Don't pawns have like tons of voice options? Weird how it's always the same ones.

Sarcasm

Screw it, here is the preset, you still have to download enb v0.297 from the official site and get the d3d9.dll. It's default ENB with all effects turned off.

Also, I would recommend using the ENB fps limiter option and limit your fps to 2fps lower than what you want your max to be (58fps limit at 60fps, 148fps limit at 150fps, etc).

Link to nobandingENB preset

This isn't a preset as in say Resonant or /we right?

This is just the wrapper version to inject stuff?

Top Bottom