• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Steel

Banned
To everyone renting pawns Be Aware: The rating you give to the pawn you rent effects the rift crystal reward the player on the other end gets(IIRC).

tfw your pawn comes back with 3 star ratings and saying "how did I perform? I tried my hardest :]"..."I know you did bao, I know :<"

I feel like whenever I get 3 stars in everything the person renting the pawn just kept hitting A to get through the pop-ups, because they usually also don't come with any comments.

Durante

Love how these 3 shots turned out, so I'm crossposting them here.

screenshot_2016-01-19iksn5.jpg

screenshot_2016-01-19wts8h.jpg

screenshot_2016-01-194ys3f.jpg

If only other games did spellcasting half as awesome as this one. Too bad Bolide is basically impossible to screenshot.

Anything with lightning damage does wonder. And shooting them in the eye with the right skills will end them pretty quickly too.

A few charged arrow shots to the eye will either stun, blind, or topple them. Difficult to do against armoured cyclopses; there's only a few times I've knocked the head armour off before killing them.

Electricity spells work better though--it's full-on stun city.
The combat in this game is so much more satisfying than Dark Souls.

Now you've done it!

But really, against big monsters I'd agree, definitely; against smaller enemies it's more of a toss-up.

I did. each floor takes me to the eye boss.

is it a story boss? I thought it was optional.

You have to beat that boss, iirc. Then each of the 15 doors opens to similar dungeons with different enemies. Your goal in the new Everfall is to collect 20 wakestones.

Wakestone shards will drop pretty regularly in there, or you can kill the Ur-Dragon to get all 20 in one shot. Fighting the Ur is different if you're connected online, his health is immense and damage done to him is shared across all connected players, but if you play offline he is much easier.

So can anyone fill me in on what the deal is with the apparently massive amount of content in this game? I just reached Gran Soren, here are my questions:

1. There's a purple quest marker that appears at Cassardis. What is it?
2. At what level should I start Bitterback Isle? After I'm done with the main quest?
3. What's the expansion content? When and how do I access it?
4. What do people mean when they say that post game is the real Dragon's Dogma?

Mupod

so i'm lvl 36, am i ready for bitterblack isle?

That's when I went in. Because of the way defense works the only thing I had that could even put a dent in the enemies there was charged strikes as a warrior. I made it work anyways and came out with some cool stuff. I got stopped cold by the first 'boss' though. Save your RCs for weapons.

Funny thing is the first (and best) best item I found in there was an Archstaff, and I've yet to try out any magic classes yet. So my pawn carried me for a while with tornadoes and shit everywhere, felt weird man.

I suppose my cyclops hammer may trivialize the rest of the game but at this point I just want to power through this stuff and get more Bitterblack in. I went back and fought the Drake that had ambushed me a few times earlier and I didn't feel like I was COMPLETELY overpowering it so maybe it'll be fine.

MUnited83

For you.
A few charged arrow shots to the eye will either stun, blind, or topple them. Difficult to do against armoured cyclopses; there's only a few times I've knocked the head armour off before killing them.

Electricity spells work better though--it's full-on stun city.

Electricity ends up even being too powerful :p. If you yourself have a staff and a electric spell and one of your pawns do too, you can basically stun-lock the cyclops the whole fight :p

Corpekata

Banned
So can anyone fill me in on what the deal is with the apparently massive amount of content in this game? I just reached Gran Soren, here are my questions:

2. At what level should I start Bitterback Isle? After I'm done with the main quest?

BBI is the expansion.

Purple quest markers IIRC are BBI quest markers.

Yes, play it after the main quest, and maybe a bit after as the main game has a decent chunk of post-story content that will get trivialized if you do it kitted out in BBI gear.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Do you only see friends on there or can anyone on the internet see it? I dont think anyone has ever used mine, only 4 of the people in the gaf group are my friends though.

Yeah, the game can't see your groups, but it can see your friends list.

So if you add friends from the GAF list you'll get more rentals in theory because rentals from friends cost zero RC.

1. Leads you to Bitterblack Isle.
2. After the main quest, lvl50+.
3. See 1.
4. Killing the Dragon is not the end of the game.

I find killing packs of a dozen or so small monsters by summoning a hurricane which tosses all of them 50 meters into the air quite satisfying :p

Oh good point. The variety gives it a big edge.

I imagine playing through as an Arisen fighter or mage will completely change how I approach everything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're missing the fact that hard mode is actually new game+... and even then, you're going to have to turn it back to normal mode at some point. The long goal is to play through the entire game on hard mode, including bitter black isle... and that's likely going to take many playthroughs to achieve.
What? No, hard mode isn't NG+. It might be meant for NG+ but you can play the whole game in hard mode on the first playthrough including BBI. I did it on PS3.

Full of conviction as he may be, I don't think Wario gave this strategy much thought:

ihtldh.gif

At least his famous last words cracked me up.
lol

Post pics of your Wario pawn! Your Waluigi Arisen was hilarious.

no reason not to give a forgery of wyrmcrest ring to complete the quest correct? the ring seems much more useful to me as a magick archer than the cloak that I would get otherwise
Indeed. And you can still get the cloak anyway.
Wear the set of captain's armour that you wore for breaking into Blighted Manse, visit the Duke's manse at night, wait for the patrols to start and the guard next to the door to leave and loot the chest lol.

"Arisen, go here for your next quest, its urgent!"

goes to place

"Arisen, you are urgently needed back in Grand Soren"

...whut >_>

Itsatrap.gif

So glad I had placed a port crystal there though...

Are people killing my pawn?
she keeps coming back with 3 star ratings, and has dropped from 5 stars overall to 4 stars now :'[.

Be kind to pawns people.
On the PS3, I lost pawns to Death often in BBI. He's a pain. Yeah I did run when I wasn't ready, but sometimes pawns derp around and try to fight him and stand there while he's charging his scythe and -_-

Guys you should hire my pawn :D

https://steamcommunity.com/id/drillingbutter

All his stuff is dragonforged and he knows how to handle himself!
Oh I ran into him yesterday. I was looking for male archers. But I think I ended up hiring someone else. :(

For anyone exploring post-dragon and wondering what exactly you can find:

Here's the chambers of the Everfall and what you'll find inside:

0. Confusion - mandatory, any door you enter will bring you here. Evil Eye.
1. Anxiety - Lich, Undead, Skeletons.
2. Absence - Inky Saurians, Magi, Hellhounds, Grim Goblins.
3. Hesitation - Snowy Saurians, Undead, ArchHydra.
4. Apprehension - Gore Chimera, Wights, Undead / 2 Cockatrices, Grim Goblins, Vile Eyes.
5. Remorse - Grim Goblins, Golem, Cyclops, MERCHANT.
6. Tragedy - Succubi, Gargoyles, Phantasms.
7. Lament - UR-DRAGON
8. Fate - Drake + Harpies or Chimera + Gore Chimera + Lich summoning Hellhounds / Succubi, Gargoyles.
9. Distress - Direwolves, Snow Harpies, Wyrm.
10. Estrangement - Golem + Cyclops + Ogre or Metal Golem + Wight / MERCHANT, Undead, Phantasms.
11. Woe - Lich, Fell-Lords, Undead.
12. Sorrow - Tentacles, Vile Eyes, Grim Goblins, Evil Eye.
13. Resolution - Ogres, Undead, Cockatrice, Inky Saurians.
14. Inspiration - Phantasms, Magi.
15. Hope - Bloated Undead, Hellhounds, Gore Chimera, Magi.

The Chamber of Fate encounter with the Chimera+Gore+Lich+Hellhounds is arguably the toughest fight outside of BBI.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So at what point should someone go to BBI?

I don't want to accidently cross a point of no return and have to do it in NG+.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and done! well not really lol, but the dragon is dead. that was sure a fucking cool quest / sequence. so, we say this alot on the internet, but for this one is kinda feels more real than usual

does the real dragons dogma begin now? :p

I still have the BBI stuff to do mind you

Llyranor

Oh good point. The variety gives it a big edge.

I imagine playing through as an Arisen fighter or mage will completely change how I approach everything.
Absolutely. The flexibility of class-switching also gives it a massive edge in terms of gameplay variety within a single playthrough. Whereas in Souls you're stuck with more or less a single template which you can only upgrade in small increments.

In this one playthrough, I've nearly messed around with all classes. All I need to do next is test out the magic classes. And since I already have magic archer and mystix knight at decent levels, I could already boost my staff skills for use even for a lvl 1 mage/sorcerer.

The incredible thing is that all the different playstyles are all fun.

ezekial45

Banned
and done! well not really lol, but the dragon is dead. that was sure a fucking cool quest / sequence. so, we say this alot on the internet, but for this one is kinda feels more real than usual

does the real dragons dogma begin now? :p

I still have the BBI stuff to do mind you

Yes, this is where shit happens. The Everfall is a lot of fun to explore, and it'll give a number of cool drops, plus the new monsters scattered around the world are very challenging to fight.

And yes, BBI is there to explore as well. Go nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2MZqLIcnP4

So at what point should someone go to BBI?

I don't want to accidently cross a point of no return and have to do it in NG+.

The new Everfall is a good place to test if you're ready for BBI. If you can clear the tougher chambers in the Everfall, you should be good for BBI.

The PONR is very obvious and you can't really cross it accidentally: you have to collect 20 wakestones and give them to the female pawn at the top of the Everfall. Just don't talk to her and you'll never trigger it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shit I missed Duchess in Distress before "finshing" it, baaaah. totally forgot about it, had just read the guide to. oh well :/

Top Bottom