• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

*I honestly don't know how people played this game without the eternal ferrystone, it's so tedious running from point A to point B.
In the vanilla version there was always one at gran soren or you could buy some.
So it was not a big deal,especially if you liked having many quest in your to do list.

Cyrano

I'm playing on Hard Mode and even climbing on Ogres I haven't really felt the need to spend stamina items outside of running*. Sure, I could pop some shrooms to get back to full immediately but it's not such a draw back to resort to normal attacks while the stamina builds up.

I do make it a point to have very light encumbrance though, so stamina builds up pretty quickly.

*I honestly don't know how people played this game without the eternal ferrystone, it's so tedious running from point A to point B.
Had an infinite running stamina mod for a while and eventually reverted because for whatever reason it got to a point where the fact that running made you tired became important. It makes you appreciate the immensity of the game world.

The Souls games had the right idea with running being something to make you tired quickly. The balance there seems more even, though it might be interesting to see what the game plays like with a low(er) stamina mod.

Is it wrong that I cannot stop throwing rabbits off of cliffs?

They are just sitting there. Waiting to be snatched up. They don't even run anymore. Like they want me to do it.

Ullus

2016-01-21_00003hop9l.jpg
This cape man, never taking it off.

KarmaCow

In the vanilla version there was always one at gran soren or you could buy some.
So it was not a big deal,especially if you liked having many quest in your to do list.

Well I can get that, especially since Ferrystones have their own weight but like someone else said, finding the eternal ferrystone in the storage significantly changed the game for me.

Had an infinite running stamina mod for a while and eventually reverted because for whatever reason it got to a point where the fact that running made you tired became important. It makes you appreciate the immensity of the game world.

The Souls games had the right idea with running being something to make you tired quickly. The balance there seems more even, though it might be interesting to see what the game plays like with a low(er) stamina mod.

I understand why it exists since otherwise you could juke around enemies both in combat and when trying to escape but I'm talking about the part inbetween where there are no enemies and it's mostly just hold up for a while. The size of the world is kinda moot when it's so barren.

I can appreciate the design of venturing deep into the world but also needing to consider how you'll get back but the moments where I just want to get back to Cassadris or the Witchwood seem far more frequent than when I'm actually in danger travelling.

still dont quite understand the post game
everfall, structure wise, but it sure seems neat. Got another room with a chimera this time, beat that, and then I got more of a traditional dungeon with some harpies and gargoyles, which lead to a room with a bunch of locked gates and I couldnt find any switch :/
I called it there cause I gotta go to work anyway. Loot seems sweet. I keep finding 2handers which is annoying, but at least I got some sweet pants (well its a skirt) with +5 STR and +5 Magic, perfect for my hybrid MA. Place is fun, doesnt seem like it takes long to get the 20 stones the chick needs for the quest in there either, I already have 8

and to think that even if I dont go out and look for the new monsters out and about, I still have BBI to do :D

im not done with the game by a longshot (im actually really happy about that because XCOM2 is still like 2 weeks away and I was afraid i'd be done with DD soon) but I can already say / just wanted to say I loved the game (even if im not done)

BBI is much more satisfying for postgame loot than where you are currently. Go through as many chambers as you like but if things start to get repetitive just head to BBI. A lot of the good loot where you are now is also available in BBI, along with plenty of stuff that will outclass it.

ABK

Banned
Finally got the game to stop the micro-stutter by applying vsync through radeonpro last night. ...Then this morning the game refused to launch with radeonpro running even though I changed absolutely no settings. Hello micro-stutter, my old friend. I know a lot of people suggested borderless windowed to get rid of it but that didn't help a bit and running the game without vsync when capped to 58 fps through GeDoSaTo makes the stutter wayyy worse.

Flux also causes an even more severe stutter so I recommend anybody using flux to disable it while playing.

Cyrano

I understand why it exists since otherwise you could juke around enemies both in combat and when trying to escape but I'm talking about the part inbetween where there are no enemies and it's mostly just hold up for a while. The size of the world is kinda moot when it's so barren.

I can appreciate the design of venturing deep into the world but also needing to consider how you'll get back but the moments where I just want to get back to Cassadris or the Witchwood seem far more frequent than when I'm actually in danger travelling.
Can't speak for the devs obviously, but the lack of danger in many places of the world is what seems so enthralling about it. Danger is always "there" but where it's coming from, what's making it relevant, is always questionable. The fact that most stuff on the road is generally not super dangerous makes the moments when there is some real danger feel more fulfilling. Though I definitely agree that the time between those moments is super uneven and part of that is due to the ad hoc nature of so many of the quests.

Another reason the open world is so interesting is probably also to facilitate environment screenshots (or more likely, the game was frequently running out of memory on PS3/360 hardware so they needed to space enemies out more).

cracked and bought the game before the summer sale because I had some Steam credit

played the demo on 360 but never anything more than that

any crucial tips before I start?

Lux R7

cracked and bought the game before the summer sale because I had some Steam credit

played the demo on 360 but never anything more than that

any crucial tips before I start?

take your time, this game can be a slowburner for someone. Also, read the op and the FAQs. I really hope you'll enjoy it.

Aikidoka

I agree with your post except this part. Special attacks like thousand kisses drain stamina quite a bit, especially when clinging to monsters (even with the proper augments), and especially on hard mode.

So on hard mode you can't just spam mushrooms and steaks because carrying those will weight you down. So you need to be careful in how you manage your stamina, you need to carefully balance your curatives loadout with weight, not to mention the weight of buff items like Conqueror's Periapts.

There are a few ways to fix this.
1) mod out healing items, or mod healing items to have a cooldown.
2) no healing items at all - currently using Regeneration + Militant Dove for my HP regen
3) weaken healing items a lot - could either use weight to restrict their use or simply lower the HP/stamina restored per item
4) mod your own health - effectively, make enemies more threatening by having less health to work with

All are potential solutions, though weight is supposed to generally mitigate how much you can heal yourself. Most would have to be modded in though.

edit: Also, in practice the issues with Stamina and Health, in spite of seeming like the game would just be made overly easy by items, don't actually effect the gameplay balance as much as they do in theory.

you can put all the curatives on your pawns and then have them give it to you when you want to use it. I have used the Bezel Crown longbow which "greatly increases" stamina consumption (not sure by exactly how much but it seems to be atleast x2) and it just kind of makes it more annoying. maybe coupled with more damage will be interesting.

I didn't realize you could switch to Hard Mode at any time with a given character and it only reset the story missions, so I'll probably do that and see if that makes a huge difference.

take your time, this game can be a slowburner for someone. Also, read the op and the FAQs. I really hope you'll enjoy it.

Yeah, this is good advice. Take it slow; game is very, very large.

Aight. For the forced romance stuff is my main pawn romanceable or should I just make them whatever gender I want? And should I just go with Normal mode then instead of Hard mode?

Cyrano

you can put all the curatives on your pawns and then have them give it to you when you want to use it. I have used the Bezel Crown longbow which "greatly increases" stamina consumption (not sure by exactly how much but it seems to be atleast x2) and it just kind of makes it more annoying. maybe coupled with more damage will be interesting.

I didn't realize you could switch to Hard Mode at any time with a given character and it only reset the story missions, so I'll probably do that and see if that makes a huge difference.
Bezel Crown is a really, really bad bow. The amount of XP it will provide is nowhere near worth the lost efficiency in fighting enemies generally. If you're min-maxing, Ranger also seems an odd choice.

Lux R7

Aight. For the forced romance stuff is my main pawn romanceable or should I just make them whatever gender I want? And should I just go with Normal mode then instead of Hard mode?

go Normal, use Hard Mode for a ng+ experience. Also no, your main pawn is not romanceable.

Cyrano

Yeah, normal mode is probably the way to go for first time. Game is much more even balance-wise on Normal.

Main pawn isn't a romance option - would suggest making them however you want.

Aikidoka

Bezel Crown is a really, really bad bow. The amount of XP it will provide is nowhere near worth the lost efficiency in fighting enemies generally. If you're min-maxing, Ranger also seems an odd choice.

I don't use it anymore - I just tried it out and the experience gain sucks (and isn't needed anyway). The game gives you so much gold that I just buy anything that sounds interesting but the standard Reinfornced Longbow is still the best and is what I'm currently using.

As for my vocation, I first maxed out Strider, then I maxed out Magick Archer, and so I just decided to try out ranger.

Akiller

Met a dragon for the first time,in a zone near the
castle you have to free from goblins
.Got rekted after 2 and half life bars,but just because of his pawn control attack, i could retry but i am still too weak i think(lv 31).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've found my post-processing sweetspot mixing ENB and GeDo's post processing.

Wickfut ENB + my GeDo post processing. It uses ENB's high precision color and the debanding in GeDo.

I feel like I've finally transitioned the game from looking "better than consoles" to "good."

Comparisons. Labels are in the images.
Bottom right is my final settings I'm playing with.

Cyrano

I don't use it anymore - I just tried it out and the experience gain sucks (and isn't needed anyway). The game gives you so much gold that I just buy anything that sounds interesting but the standard Reinfornced Longbow is still the best and is what I'm currently using.

As for my vocation, I first maxed out Strider, then I maxed out Magick Archer, and so I just decided to try out ranger.
Ah, makes more sense now. Ranger's Endecad shot is one of the best abilities in the game, at least in terms of raw damage output.

Bioware has really corrupted the concept of party members, haven't they.
So switched my pawn to a warrior, why doesn't she attack? I got her equipped with a 2H mace and skills for it.

Inclinations maybe? There's one or two that can interfere with normal AI routines, like attacking.

People with warrior pawns and Arc of Might/Deliverance equipped: why?

It's been surprisingly hard to find warriors past lv100, especially without charged attacks.

Mine is lvl 200 with corona/whirlwind/calamitous lunge, she's also wearing aggro equipment, so generally she draws -all- the aggro

Give her a rent if you want

http://steamcommunity.com/id/reizoryuu/

This cape man, never taking it off.
Until you find dragon knight's cloak, lordly/hellfire cloak, tattered/sovereign's mantle ;P
Heck the dlc wyrm hunt mantle, beastly mantle, and heroes cape are great too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm fighting metal golem in evrrfall and one of his power sources is so high and my magic boy doesn't do anything :(

Yup. Either bomb it with dragons spit or whatever, or go get a ranger pawn or change back to strider yourself and do it. I had the same problem it was quite annoying

silva1991

A cockatrice in everfall? about fucking time.

dinner is on me tonight.

Is it wrong that I cannot stop throwing rabbits off of cliffs?

They are just sitting there. Waiting to be snatched up. They don't even run anymore. Like they want me to do it.

There is nothing wrong with that, consider it a sport.

Yup. Either bomb it with dragons spit or whatever, or go get a ranger pawn or change back to strider yourself and do it. I had the same problem it was quite annoying

I actually did beat it with my MA, it was annoying, but I kept climbing on it and double jumped to get closer to his part for like 5-10 mins :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You guys are all free to live your lives how you want, but all these vanilla vs enb posts make me shake my head. So much struggle on mods and configs and there's barely any difference. Frame rate is actually the only thing that matters to me. This game could be stick figures fighting monster.jpgs and it would still be the GOAT.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
BBI is much more satisfying for postgame loot than where you are currently. Go through as many chambers as you like but if things start to get repetitive just head to BBI. A lot of the good loot where you are now is also available in BBI, along with plenty of stuff that will outclass it.

Should i go do BBI and then come back to finish everfall so i can get into new game+?

Cracklox

Met a dragon for the first time,in a zone near the
castle you have to free from goblins
.Got rekted after 2 and half life bars,but just because of his pawn control attack, i could retry but i am still too weak i think(lv 31).

Heh, I think everyone accidently bumps into him at low level and gets decimated. I think we was put there quite intentionally by the devs.

For reference I was 42 when I beat him. Was a freakin epic fight too

Rhaknar

Heh, I think everyone accidently bumps into him at low level and gets decimated. I think we was put there quite intentionally by the devs.

For reference I was 42 when I beat him. Was a freakin epic fight too

Took me like 20mins. And yes also got rekt earlier lol

Cracklox

Took me like 20mins. And yes also got rekt earlier lol

20 mins seems about right from memory. Sweaty palms for most it too.

BBI spoiler:
A certain dragon in there took me about 45 mins. Used every damn health consumable I had. Which was a lot because I rarely used them up until that point :/

Anteater

I think I'm done tweaking ENB to my liking, if anyone wants to try what I'm going with, here's the thing on Dropbox. You'll still need the .dll from ENBdev as usual.

I don't have too many screenshots for demonstration but here's a quick comparison between vanilla and ENB on.

this looks neat, will give it a try when i have the time later, thanks

edit: damn my gpu is too crappy for this lol

Seyavesh

Dragon's Dogma Complete Works said:
Comment:
We wanted to offer the player lots of variety when it came to armor, so we tried to come
up with a design to suit every aesthetic style. We have armor for the knight of justice
type, the tribal type, and even the musketeer type. It's such a shame that we couldn't
take the customization options further with things like color variations and a specific
equipment display ON/OFF option. Now, if we ever get to do a sequel... [Ikeno]

ffffffff
god damn the art book is good

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Game looks so sweet with the latest wickfut ENB config! Highly recommended.

Hover comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/158777

Also my ""debug"" mode for targeting textures works fine, which is neat. Think I'll try to implement some higher resolution textures later this week.

You should definitely let me know when your texture tools are available. I wanna try and modify tree leaf textures so that leaf shadows don't look so rotten

I've found my post-processing sweetspot mixing ENB and GeDo's post processing.

Wickfut ENB + my GeDo post processing. It uses ENB's high precision color and the debanding in GeDo.

I feel like I've finally transitioned the game from looking "better than consoles" to "good."

Comparisons. Labels are in the images.
Bottom right is my final settings I'm playing with.

mind posting your gedo settings?

Top Bottom