• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

It's a scaling issue with how defense handles damage output. Effectively since the game has the ability to negate damage, certain enemy defenses can negate all damage if your output isn't high enough. Once you get some BBI gear, particularly weapons, most enemies just fall over to the extra damage output. Not a bad idea to farm a bit for a BBI Level 2 Weapon and then dragonforging/rarefying it. Makes the rest of the content pretty reasonable (though even with the best armor in the game it's difficult to mitigate enemy damage output, since they'll always outclass your defense stat, even at max level).

edit: Whoops... double post, sorry!

That does make sense. I found a pretty baller staff for my pawn so his magic is around 1500 or so. No bows or daggers yet.

Haven't actually found any BBI weapons that needed purifying. Should I just run from surprise encounters?

I think I messed up the fortress besieged quest last night.

I opened the gates to let the soldiers in without killing the cyclops and whatever is firing giant flaming arrows. So now I have to kill two cyclops and a load of goblins, quicker than they can kill the soldiers, whilst exploding bolts of flame rain down.

What I find most annoying about this is that I saved the game right before opening the gates just in case it was a bad move, but the game auto saved just after pulling the lever! One save slot is real shitty.

Further annoyance is added by the fact that I can't equip any lightning skills to take out the Cyclops with because you have to go back to the city for that. 3/6 skill slots that you can't change in the field is also real shitty.

Anyone got an Ideas on how to get through this without failing the quest?

Cerity

2J1Uw8N.jpg
woooo and it's down. 111k exp gain from haha.

Most stuff in BBI is weak to holy, so taking a mage along with you that will give you that enchant will help with Gorecyclops (among many other BBI critters).

I did have a mage that had holy boon but then she and another pawn decided to fall to their deaths. Ran down trying to save them and ended up with all three dead instead lol. Decided to try and solo the rest.

Lanrutcon

omg I just beat an Ancient Dragon

Such a looooong fight. Went through 3 wakestones, 50 potent greenwarish, 20 large mushrooms. Had absolutely fuck all for the last 2 health bars. I managed to cling to its heart and my main pawn goes down but I held on for dear life impotently slashing away at its chest so I could get a stun. Finally did, picked him up, jumped back on and on the next stun he wiped it out.

These strong BBI enemies are starting make me feel like shit. All the damage is coming from my pawn when he can finally fully enchant a spell. The damage that my arrows and bow are doing are pretty much imperceptible ;_;

- All enemies are resistant to either magic or physical. Pick the right means of dealing damage. Trying to kill a Firedrake with straight physical is a pain, for example.
- All enemies are subject to elemental strengths and weaknesses. Lightning and Holy work well in BBI.
- Almost every vocation has one super means of dealing damage. Thousand Kisses, Tenfold Arrow, 9 Bolt, etc etc. Figure out what your vocation is suppose to spam and live by it.
- BBI is where you use every single damage buff consumable you have access to. The peripats you've been collecting make all the difference. Remember you can stack 4 at a time. Your damage output will skyrocket. I always bring 20 odd along to serious fights. It's how people kill Zombie Dragons in 15 seconds and shit.
- Get decent weaponry. Getting BBI level 1 weapons is super easy without having to kill anything major. Getting BBI level 2 weapons requires you to have killed the first BBI boss. BBI level 3 weapons are a bitch to get early.

Ferr986

I opened the gates to let the soldiers in without killing the cyclops and whatever is firing giant flaming arrows. So now I have to kill two cyclops and a load of goblins, quicker than they can kill the soldiers, whilst exploding bolts of flame rain down.

What I find most annoying about this is that I saved the game right before opening the gates just in case it was a bad move, but the game auto saved just after pulling the lever! One save slot is real shitty.

Further annoyance is added by the fact that I can't equip any lightning skills to take out the Cyclops with because you have to go back to the city for that. 3/6 skill slots that you can't change in the field is also real shitty.

You'll have to reload the last checkpoint, the last time you slept at the Gran Soren Inn.

I just let them perish, the world is a harsh place. I never even figured out how to stop the fire arrows. After killing the cyclops and a truckload of respawning goblins, I left for gran soren, the duke was understanding how I could not save everyone. Not sure if it was an bug or not but they seemed to think I succeeded in the quest, despite leaving the whole flaming arrows contraption up and running.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wow after a certain point in the story the game is all like, "lol you got fire magic equipped? Have fun doing literally zero damage, noob!"

You'll have to reload the last checkpoint, the last time you slept at the Gran Soren Inn.

I think I fast traveled to an inn and back shortly before reaching the fortress, so that might work. Feels a bit cowardly though! Is it possible to access the "load last checkpoint" option outside of the retry screen you get when you die? Not that dying is difficult to achieve.

Ferr986

I think I fast traveled to an inn and back shortly before reaching the fortress, so that might work. Feels a bit cowardly though! Is it possible to access the "load last checkpoint" option outside of the retry screen you get when you die? Not that dying is difficult to achieve.

Hmm not sure, if it's not in the save menu I guess you need to die.

I just let them perish, the world is a harsh place. I never even figured out how to stop the fire arrows. After killing the cyclops and a truckload of respawning goblins, I left for gran soren, the duke was understanding how I could not save everyone. Not sure if it was an bug or not but they seemed to think I succeeded in the quest, despite leaving the whole flaming arrows contraption up and running.

you stop the fire arrows shooting your own fire arrows :p
At the entrance, climb the ladder to the right side tower and there's a turret there you can use to shoot them down.

you stop the fire arrows shooting your own fire arrows :p
At the entrance, climb the ladder to the right side tower and there's a turret there you can use to shoot them down.

I was alternating between shooting down the fire arrows and shooting the cyclops for a while before my turret was destroyed. I couldn't seem to destroy the source of the arrows though.

Ferr986

I was alternating between shooting down the fire arrows and shooting the cyclops for a while before my turret was destroyed. I couldn't seem to destroy the source of the arrows though.

You should be able to take down enemy turrets with an explosive shoot (you can do regular and explosive arrows)

Corpekata

Banned
Man Post-game Everfall is such a chore to navigate. It's kinda cool at first but when you want to get to like the last couple platforms you didn't land on it's tedious as shit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
omg I just beat an Ancient Dragon

Such a looooong fight. Went through 3 wakestones, 50 potent greenwarish, 20 large mushrooms. Had absolutely fuck all for the last 2 health bars. I managed to cling to its heart and my main pawn goes down but I held on for dear life impotently slashing away at its chest so I could get a stun. Finally did, picked him up, jumped back on and on the next stun he wiped it out.

These strong BBI enemies are starting make me feel like shit. All the damage is coming from my pawn when he can finally fully enchant a spell. The damage that my arrows and bow are doing are pretty much imperceptible ;_;
Found my alt! :0
Exact same for me

Trying to find a way to grab the macabre sculpture atop the balcony in the little tower in the Fortress of Remembrance. Try jumping from a poisonous undead, no dice. Suddenly, a wild high maelstrom is cast. We grab that fat bastard, give him a hundred kisses (because even after clearing pre-daimon, a freaking strider ring wont. fucking. drop., but MA gear? oodles) and pray.

Ragdoll indeed happens once its undeath ends, and im sent flying. Jump, grab, success. Surfboarding corpses #feelsgoodman.

Also protip: if a dragon possesses your sorcerer pawn, kill that bastard asap. Didnt notice while i was performing open heart surgery and then the bugger goes and wipes the whole bloody group with a single maelstrom.

holy crap the upgrade on this random hammer I found:

also, the romance system is hilarious. I help out the witch girl once and she immediately
falls in love with me and moves into my house LOL.

Iirc Triple Tooth is the best non-elemental warrior weapon pre-dragon/bbi. Kind of weird that its such an easy item to grab with certainty. Also sells for what passes for very good money at that stage in the game.

Pretty sure my game has glitched out on me. Can't get Jasper to appear for the Fournival eviction quest no matter what.

I've slept at the inn until morning, waited at the fountain and only his wife and kid come through the gates.

At least its not important for anything other than dosh or some items from the family. And at least
Fournival won't be my goddamn Beloved again

garath

I'm working my way through the wyrm quests right now. Trying to level more. I'm 27 now. Way behind the average here I'm sure but I do what I can with my playtime. Enjoying the hell out of the game for sure.

I'm really crushing this point in the game. Probably my next pawn grab I'll get some lower level gaffers to try and give them some love. My pawn and I can handle most of what is happening at this point in the game.

Thanks to some good use, my pawn apparently knows what to do with all these quests already lol. I literally would have gone the wrong way to the waterfall temple but my pawn kept saying "this is not the way". I followed her advice despite thinking it was not at all correct but it turned out to be right. Saved myself a solid 10 min of back tracking.

Just reached level 42 and about to meet the duke! It removed a few quests but they were so far away I would have been level 50 by the time I came back.

Seyavesh

I think it's around level 78? I honestly forgot... He's a sorcerer at the moment. Pawn name is Servilius.

Oh I forgot to check if the inclination is still OK. They got fucked up at some point and he had Nexus as secondary, WTF? I fixed it to Scather/Challenger, hopefully it remained stable.

well, i hired him
and then he went careening off a cliff after a minotaur decided that it didn't want him on it's bridge anymore

i re-hired him again though, will dismiss when i bust up the final boss again

Echoplx

Someone gifted my pawn a bitterblack lvl 3 weapon, ended up getting a Devil's Nail from it, I haven't even finished the main story yet and now have a weapon with 1400 strength..

Good thing I don't like the warrior class otherwise I might be tempted to use it :p

Lanrutcon

Someone gifted my pawn a bitterblack lvl 3 weapon, ended up getting a Devil's Nail from it, I haven't even finished the main story yet and now have a weapon with 1400 strength..

Good thing I don't like the warrior class otherwise I might be tempted to use it :p

I've been giving out level 3s. FEAR MY GENEROSITY.

Lanrutcon

o_O

Take Kayla for another ride off the cliff pls ;)

I got a nice cloak for the lvl 2 armor you gave her. Even fashion dogma would be pleased.

Out of level 3 weapons atm. Got some level 3 armor tho. I'll grab her when I go Death hunting.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a scythe.

Still in the really early game - level 14 and I just got destroyed by bandits on my way to Witchwood for the Lost and Found quest. Managed to take down a few of them in bits and pieces but in a large group their crazy hard (especially as a Strider, the warrior guys take me down in just a couple of hits). Advice?

Pretty sure my game has glitched out on me. Can't get Jasper to appear for the Fournival eviction quest no matter what.

I've slept at the inn until morning, waited at the fountain and only his wife and kid come through the gates.

At least its not important for anything other than dosh or some items from the family. And at least

I'm in the same place, can't find Jasper

Golnei

Still in the really early game - level 14 and I just got destroyed by bandits on my way to Witchwood for the Lost and Found quest. Managed to take down a few of them in bits and pieces but in a large group their crazy hard (especially as a Strider, the warrior guys take me down in just a couple of hits). Advice?

You might be better off trying to run through and avoid them - since Lost and Found fails automatically very early into the main quest, waiting and coming back later isn't the most viable solution. Though apparently they don't spawn at night, so that might help.

Is that the lot you just run past at lower levels and then return to kick their asses later?
I'm still only L8 because i've been busy this week but finally slept in the inn and Mondegreen my mage pawn has learnt some new tricks. Was fighting Wolves and bandits when out of nowhere she just lets off 5 fireballs then sends me a heal. It was unexpected and awesome :) I just need to work out what skills to give her tonight as she has 2,500RC to spend. She's shaping up nicely, can't wait for this evening.

I also have a picture of about 9 GAF pawns in the Rift looking SWANKY as hell :)

Should i dismiss Rook and just wander with Mondegreen?

Ultrabum

Is that the lot you just run past at lower levels and then return to kick their asses later?
I'm still only L8 because i've been busy this week but finally slept in the inn and Mondegreen my mage pawn has learnt some new tricks. Was fighting Wolves and bandits when out of nowhere she just lets off 5 fireballs then sends me a heal. It was unexpected and awesome :) I just need to work out what skills to give her tonight as she has 2,500RC to spend. She's shaping up nicely, can't wait for this evening.

I also have a picture of about 9 GAF pawns in the Rift looking SWANKY as hell :)

Should i dismiss Rook and just wander with Mondegreen?

Rook sucks, ditch asap

High end weapons have level restrictions though, I think devil's nail requires level 51 to even be able to use it.

red36

Neo Member
Anyone else try to use steam link and ENB? I get all kinds of strange artifacts on my screen. Anyone know a solution?

Alexlf

He only appears some time in the afternoon. Go kill some bandits until later in the day then return. I had the same problem.

Lanrutcon

Could someone link me to an ENB config that really changes a lot of the visuals? every ENB I install does nothing. It says it loads, I can open the menu, but there's no visual change at all.

Corpekata

Banned
Could someone link me to an ENB config that really changes a lot of the visuals? every ENB I install does nothing. It says it loads, I can open the menu, but there's no visual change at all.

Are you getting the D3D9 from the ENB site?

Also if you had bad timing, 296 version was uploaded wrong for a few hours and didn't work, had that issue for a day myself.

Corpekata

Banned
Ok, so golems. How the hell are you supposed to effectively hit the weakspot on the bottom of their foot as an assassin?

If you hit the face when it's shooting the lasers it will collapse and expose it.

Also generally when attacking the other medals one of them will cause it to collapse and you should take the chance to get it then as well.

JJShadow

When enhancing my weapons/armors, do I have to carry with me (in my bag) all the materials to the armory or are they also recognised if I have them in my storehouse?

Besides this, I just earned the Golden Idol in Symona's Quest. To get the discounts in shops, do I have to do something else or is it enough to have it in my inventory?

Thanks!

Top Bottom