• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I've almost completed all of the dagger-using classes, so I should probably try some other weapons; but everything is so slow. It feels wrong not being able to dodge, and I've come to rely far too much on Cutting Wind to move around. Most of them lacking ranged options doesn't help, either...

I'm in a similar sitution, I'm playing warrior and maxed it rank so I tried something else (mystic knight) but I keep wanting my big sword back and slash through the enemies, so I returned to the warrior. I should have probably waited on playing the warrior class :(

Steam cloud save just saved my life. Totally screwed up a quest in the dumbest way (forgot I had to actually GIVE some items to an NPC not just have them with me).

Disconnected my internet so the cloud save wouldn't be able to update, exited the game, moved the old local save, reconnected internet, started steam and game back up, old save synced up and now everything is good. Whew, that was close. I still need you Fournival bro.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People say the combat is like dmc... how does that work in a medieval fantasy setting? Does magic take the place of guns or something?

I don't think I've seen anyone make that comparison. The game was designed by Itsuno (DMC guy) but it doesn't play like DMC in the slightest.

But that also increases the vignette effect (you see it more clearly), which is almost as bad at least for me.

I've mostly been playing BBI so I have to admit I haven't even noticed the vignetting. High HDR, on the other hand, is immediately noticeable in BBI because even the smallest source of light has a defined halo around it. It doesn't look right at all.

Golnei

People say the combat is like dmc... how does that work in a medieval fantasy setting? Does magic take the place of guns or something?

It's very much its own thing, you shouldn't expect it to just be a medieval DMC. Although the team's strong grounding in action games was essential in making the game's combat what it is, the actual mechanics are very different - even if there's some crossover with things like timed blocks and the basic utility of certain moves, some of which are very blatant allusions.

JimPanzer

The game continues and there is a meaty post game, but some stuff changes so you'll want to do story sidequests and exploring first.

1. No
2. You can do the quest
3. Post game, after you beat that then you start NG+

I'm now undecided wether to do the last mission (
"the final battle"
) and after that go out for exploring, or explore before the mission...what would you guys recommend?

Anyone else have this problem when they assign dagger skills (as Strider or Ranger) and it only comes up as "x = attack and y =heavy attack"? I assigned skills to X Y and B

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Capcom nailed this genre, replaying it on PC and im still as excited to explore as i was years ago when it launched. Although, im a bit less scared of the night than i was back then ;)

The combination of its visuals (the spells are the best in any game), the weird music, pitch black darkness and amazing dungeon design (much better than the hub), makes this game still relevent even after nearly 4 years.

NSFW !! A clinger!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Most stuff in BBI is weak to holy
Except that damn bishop lol.

woooo and it's down. 111k exp gain from haha.
Damn, that's low HP. What level are you? I have like 2300 HP and tried to take it on (the one in Midnight Helix) and he'd still OHKO me at every hit (hard mode -_-). I could have spammed
the Wakestones I found in the Everfall
and keep plugging at it, but it was tedious so I just gave up for now.

Is there any way to create a second pawn that isn't tedious?
I don't understand your question. You cannot create a second pawn, period. You create your first pawn, and hire other players's pawns (and/or in-game Capcom pawns).

Also protip: if a dragon possesses your sorcerer pawn, kill that bastard asap. Didnt notice while i was performing open heart surgery and then the bugger goes and wipes the whole bloody group with a single maelstrom.
looool that sucks. Always carry some placative brews haha.

well, i hired him
and then he went careening off a cliff after a minotaur decided that it didn't want him on it's bridge anymore
xD Yeah, that scenario is all too familiar...

BBI is kind of hell on pawn ratings. 3-stars all the time because of this and fucking
Death
. Alas.

I've been giving out level 3s. FEAR MY GENEROSITY.
:O
Um... why hello, dear Arisen....

So having Orla to purify lv1 cursed items will never get me the best weapons? I should save my RC then

someone yesterday said something about vocations colors and that it can determine what weapons I can get?
Nah don't "save" your RC. You'll need those level 1 to even survive to get those level 2 and 3 weapons. Your Grigori/Everfall weapons just won't cut it for very long.

Man, what the fuck?
X1YXQo6.jpg

I beat the
the inquisitor (lich dude + dragon)
feeling pretty good about myself. Next room over I see fucking
Death, 3 Gorms, 2 Gorecyclopes and a bunch of corrupted pawns to round it out.

Nothing in Dark Souls was ever that terrifying.
FftQrsd.jpg

It's not too much of a stretch. It definitely plays like a 3D beat-em-up. You can stagger, hold, throw and knock back enemies (or knock them into the air). You got single target combos with some of them working like DMC (pausing between button presses results in a different combo than just mashing buttons, for example), and there's a fair share of crowd control abilities like beat-em-ups, too. Magic spells and arrows serve as ranged attacks.

Golnei

Thank you guys!

I'm about to
meet the Duke for the first time
. All the "kill X rabbits/ogres/whatever" quests, do I have to complete them before meeting him o can I continue with them afterwards?

The board quests shouldn't fail. The only non-Wyrm Hunt quests that will cancel are Dying of Curiosity, Chasing Shadows, A Troublesome Tome and Reaper's Scorn.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just did. Created a second account and enabled family sharing. It was tedious lol
Oh yeah that. Well it's not really a second pawn per se 'cause you gotta level him/her up in your alt account too... xD

I would suggest you finish your exploration and side-questing a bit more. After the Final Battle you can still do stuff but the world changes quite a bit and you might not want that right away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cursed Dragon (or whatever its called) down! He
drops down in a big room where you fight pawns, after you pick up the second void key
. I think he was called Cursed.

Had to use 1 wakestone, I was saving them for the post game quest but fuck it, he was almost dead, couldnt be arsed doing it again and its not like the stones are hard to come by for the quest.

all my shit got dragonforged again, too bad 90% of it was still the same from when I finished the game and it was dragonforged the first time lol

I love BBI so much

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cursed Dragon (or whatever its called) down! He
drops down in a big room where you fight pawns, after you pick up the second void key
. I think he was called Cursed.

Had to use 1 wakestone, I was saving them for the post game quest but fuck it, he was almost dead, couldnt be arsed doing it again and its not like the stones are hard to come by for the quest.

all my shit got dragonforged again, too bad 90% of it was still the same from when I finished the game and it was dragonforged the first time lol

I love BBI so much
When I'm about to kill a dragon, I always swap out some equipped pieces on my Arisen in case they get dragonforged. ^^

Dizzy-4U

I'm trying to dragonforge stuff for my pawn. I killed 3 dragons and nothing. Do pawns get dragonforged or do I have to change class and equip their stuff?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When I'm about to kill a dragon, I always swap out some equipped pieces on my Arisen in case they get dragonforged. ^^

dude I dont even remember to finally use those items to boost your xp (some ring and a pendant or something), let alone switching my gear. I get too into the moment :(

also why do mimics have so much fucking health. Ive only killed one so far (my pawn's maelstorm recked it), the rest all escape :/

Man, what the fuck?
X1YXQo6.jpg

I beat the
the inquisitor (lich dude + dragon)
feeling pretty good about myself. Next room over I see fucking
Death, 3 Gorms, 2 Gorecyclopes and a bunch of corrupted pawns to round it out.

Nothing in Dark Souls was ever that terrifying.

That's nothing. There's a room with
like 5-6 Minotaurs, plus two dragons flying around, then some extra junk for good measure.

Just fuck my shit up.

R0n1n

Neo Member
Hi all,

My pawn is around 40, Sorc, with Util/Challenger inclination. Please hire her!

Steam ID# intergalactic_smuggler

sPr7dIt.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there any kind of "wait" mechanic? The inn just gives you morning or night time, there's nothing for smaller increments? So much seems dependent on time of day.

Also, how tiny does a person have to be to use the little passageways? Can I send a pawn through them? The entire idea of that mechanic/feature and its relationship to the character creator blindsided me. So many little surprises in this game.
halps!

Akronis

Is there a mirror for the Into Free title theme mod? Nexus link is as dead as Capcoms rights the song.

It's piracy for someone to link you that mod if it includes the song. There are instructions on how to convert it for use in Audacity.

Buy the song on iTunes, it's $0.69.

It's piracy for someone to link you that mod if it includes the song. There are instructions on how to convert it for use in Audacity.

Buy the song on iTunes, it's $0.69.

Will do! Thank you for letting me know. It's much better to support the artists, which I will be doing.

So I went back to BBI after completing the "all sidequests" achievement.

Took out Big Eye, Evil Pope, Cursed Dragon, Troll EX, a couple Minotaurs & Garms, a GoreCyclops, and a bunch of other stuff with maybe one or two pawn deaths.

Last time I went through BBI I was chewing through wakestones like they were cheetos. Now it's a snooze-cruise through stun-lock city.

... Magic archers can set themselves on fire?

Yep! The damage (to yourself) is negligible, but you can smoke most anything just by standing next to them. With Opportunism (BBI exclusive augment), it's fun to just latch onto somebody's face and ruin them.

Staf

Every time this thread gets bumped i die a little inside. Dying to see this on PS4, don't have a PC unfortunately.

Rhaknar

finally remember to use one of those items that boosts xp for a bit, it was just a normal ogre that only gave 29k xp >_>

mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

gergstep

Neo Member
Officially further than I ever made it on PS3!! Finally killed the final BBI boss! Really struggled with the fight though, anyone else find it tough?

Time to get all the good loot now :)

Rhaknar

BBI is starting to reuse maps. welp, it was good while it lasted ;_;

Top Bottom