• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

void666

Banned
I defeated the dragon. But i don't feel like i deserve the victory. He kicked our asses the whole time. Pawns kept dying over and over. I had to use almost all my curatives.

Ogawa-san

I defeated the dragon. But i don't feel like i deserve the victory. He kicked our asses the whole time. Pawns kept dying over and over. I had to use almost all my curatives.
That's how the first encounter with him goes for everyone. I remember fondly running around the arena desperately looking for any leftover consumables, I didn't want to die and repeat the last 20min of stabbing.

And then you come back on NG+ and murder him in 30s, because that jerk had it coming.

Blitzhex

Anyone know if a full charged/focus bolt affinity shots build is viable? I'm destroying everything with holy affinity charged shot atm, but some mobs are resistant to it. Wondering if I change all my spells to diff affinities to cover all weaknesses. Would it be just as effective?

Same here for me, just defeated him. Fought him from day until night.

I almost thought I would not make it. Felt pretty nice though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A few questions.

1) The Dark Arisen comes with a bunch of armor and equipment. I'm using the heavy set on my warrior because it trumps anything else I have available right now. When do I dump it for other stuff? Also, do I need to keep all that stuff? Some (like the monocle) are worth a ton of gold..

2) I have a ton of random curatives and mats in storage. Are there some really good items to craft up to help as I go forward? Stam healing mushrooms and random herbs are only so useful. Also having something to help with blind, poison, slow, etc would be sweet.

3) The quest with the Grimoire Tome or whatever...It's not showing up on my map. I was at the bandit camp castle place, killed someone with a mark over their head, but never got an item. I can't seem to figure this one out.

4) When can I start finding better weapons? The stuff in Gran Soren is OK, but it's nothing over the top amazing.

Got a strider kickjump / skullsplitter upgrade ring, decide to give it a go. equip that core skill that makes jumping attacks way stronger + the standard str boosting stuff, start going down bbi

oh hey, it turns out that it IS possible to oneshot garms!
Damn skill makes health pipS disappear vertiginously fast if it hits the weak spot of just about anything

shame striders are made of putty. Miss masterful kill too damn much.

1) The Dark Arisen comes with a bunch of armor and equipment. I'm using the heavy set on my warrior because it trumps anything else I have available right now. When do I dump it for other stuff? Also, do I need to keep all that stuff? Some (like the monocle) are worth a ton of gold..

Sell that monocle. Its pretty much made for it.
You can find a Very Good warrior weapon in soulflayer canyon

A few questions.

2) I have a ton of random curatives and mats in storage. Are there some really good items to craft up to help as I go forward? Stam healing mushrooms and random herbs are only so useful. Also having something to help with blind, poison, slow, etc would be sweet.

3) The quest with the Grimoire Tome or whatever...It's not showing up on my map. I was at the bandit camp castle place, killed someone with a mark over their head, but never got an item. I can't seem to figure this one out.

4) When can I start finding better weapons? The stuff in Gran Soren is OK, but it's nothing over the top amazing.

1. It's an RPG you'll eventually come across better gear.

2. The Tome is at the highest point in the bandit hideout. Go to the top then climb the rubble. Marks over heads are for talking they're not indicators for who to kill.

3. It's an RPG, you get better gear from creatures, quest rewards, and chests throughout the world.

Ryne

Whomever gave my pawn (Iris the Warrior) that level 3 BBI gear, thank you..

I have to raise her a bit more, those female bandits kicked my ass.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh interesting, the shortcuts are locked again, but the void doors are already opened when you go through BBI again.

So, couple of Mystic Knight gear questions:

1. Do I want full melee weapons or the mixed magic/melee ones? Like is a weapon with 100 attack 200 magic better than something with 300 attack?

2. Does the magic stat on shield only impact shield stuff? Like perfect block counters and everything? Or does it also impact your great cannons and ruinous sigils and stuff?

3. Is it bad to have a shield or weapon that has a specific element? Like I can buy a shield that says its always thunder. Is that something that should be avoided unless you know specifically what you are fighting?

Momentary

Banned
yeah, but I'm not underleveld and underequppied for BBI? Everfall was a piece of cake, but I haven't done the ur-dragon :/

The first boss you come into contact with is going to crush you if you're level 55. The best thing to do would be to take some double xp and double gold items there and go to town on the regular mobs. I'd save double gold items for when you know you care coming up on some 1 hit trash mobs or huge stashes of gold. Those guys will drop 7K to 20K a pop. You'll make your money back in one swing and then some.

If I love ARPGs like Souls and Monster Hunter, getting this should be a no brainer, right?

Well the combat is nowhere near as good as either of those, and the game is really 6/10 tedious in alot of ways, but the combat/ fighting scenario's can be really good.
If you like souls/MH its defiantly worth looking into.

Dr.Acula

Banned

You screwed that up a bit, but no biggie, you can find the Grimoire
in a chest at the very top of the castle. Just platform your way up.

Momentary

Banned
Man after you beat BBI
You get another new BBI experience!!!
This game is damn crazy with end game content.
The safe haven room with all the mooonbeam gm doors is not safe anymore. Had to fight a Dragon and gargoyles.Then immediately after a undead dragon invaded.

This game is damn awesome.

Anteater

Man after you beat BBI
The safe haven room with all the mooonbeam gm doors is not safe anymore. Had to fight a Dragon and gargoyles.Then immediately after a undead dragon invaded.

lol you beat BBI once already? haven't seen you posted here and steamgaf often

fr0st

Banned
Man after you beat BBI

Get the fiend luring incense. 7 living armors in 1 room lol.

silva1991

Man after you beat BBI

There is another BBI?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the info guys. Gonna sell that damn monocle and head back over to that area. I had to port back because the Chimera I fought behind the gate did a number on me. Chimera + harpies = no fun. But I'll run back!

void666

Banned
That's how the first encounter with him goes for everyone. I remember fondly running around the arena desperately looking for any leftover consumables, I didn't want to die and repeat the last 20min of stabbing.

And then you come back on NG+ and murder him in 30s, because that jerk had it coming.

Same here for me, just defeated him. Fought him from day until night.

I almost thought I would not make it. Felt pretty nice though.

Good to know.
Well, i could have been more effective.

Anyway, post dragon game:

I decided to take a walk to grand soren. Got killed by hellhounds, zombies and succubi. Man, i had no idea...

So I made it to the Final Battle last night and I'm about level 37 I believe. Is there anything I should make sure I do before I finish it? Should I level up a bit more? I don't want to finish it then find out I missed out on something major. Thanks!

Initially the combat in this game felt a bit hack-and-slashy, but I didn't expect I that animation cancels and dodge rolls would be purchasable skills as a strider. Really cool. There's also a lot of skills that augment your mobility as well.

Overside

Banned
So I made it to the Final Battle last night and I'm about level 37 I believe. Is there anything I should make sure I do before I finish it? Should I level up a bit more? I don't want to finish it then find out I missed out on something major. Thanks!

Don't worry about it. Odds are if you did miss something, its already past the point of no return. You can start a new game+ with the same items and inventory to try out paths that got locked out from making certain choices.

Although, if you use Fournival a lot, to buy certain items, or sell stuff for profit, you might want to make sure he doesn't have a slight pink glow above his head.

Just saying.

silva1991

BBI gets supremely malicious after you kill the endboss once. Shit gets serious.

Same.

Post-Daimon all the monsters in BBI are replaced/rearranged with harder/more creatures.

not-like-this.gif

I couldn't even beat the boss.

Don't worry about it. Odds are if you did miss something, its already past the point of no return. You can start a new game+ with the same items and inventory to try out paths that got locked out from making certain choices.

Although, if you use Fournival a lot, to buy certain items, or sell stuff for profit, you might want to make sure he doesn't have a slight pink glow above his head.

Just saying.

Cool, thanks for the info. I haven't interacted much with Fournival but I'll stop by and see him before I proceed.

Holy shit, just rode the griffin through the skies and destroyed its wings by slashing it, caused the griffin to plummet where it was then executed.

This fucking game.

all you guys dressing up your pawns with that Duchess costume... it's really making it hard for me to hire them

I've tried to drop that outfit, I really did, but it doesnt matter what I put my pawn into, that queen outfit just straight up dominates in every damn armor stat for mage type armor. I havent gotten to mid game yet as im too busy exploring and shit and leveling up vocations while randomly wondering around so my options for finding something better is very limited at the moment. So Im kinda stuck with it for my pawn.

Is there any reason to use a pawn you've had for a long time or should I be looking to upgrade ASAP?

Nope, theres no benefit for keeping them over a long period of time. In fact, it actually harms you for keeping them over a long period of time.

The hired pawns do not level up with you, only your personal pawn does. So you'll HAVE to drop them and find higher level pawns as you level up at some point. Its not a good idea to be rolling with level 10 hired-pawns when you and your personal pawn are level 25.

If a pawn dies will the owner get any RC at all?

Me too, but atleast I know where I will be I'm going.

If you paid rift crystals to hire that pawn, yes they will get those rift crystals, if you didnt pay any crystals to hire them, then no they get nothing.

So far, at lvl 21, i feel my assassin cant really participate that much in large scale battles? It feels very squishy and i got 1-shot many times. My previous 360 play was with a mage so maybe im more used to be standing in the back and blow shit up, letting my pawns take the heat, so i guess i'll have to relearn this game from a melee perspective. Or maybe im not in the right level area.. Im kind of lost at the moment, i remember the areas but i dont remember the logical level/area progression.

To play a assassin to its full potential, your gonna have to max out the fighter, and maybe the warrior too if you plan on using daggers or sword and shield.

Many of the defence stat boost and passives come from the fighter vocations that can be used with the assassin to make em more beefy. But leveling a ranger and strider only and going straight to assassin, yea, you only got half the pie son.

Switched to assassin and whatnot. I completely get wrecked! I am still in stage 1 quests with some done in 2 but no main quests in 2. I got to rank 4 in strider, max in ranger and 3 in ass. Bandits own me... =(

Dunno how to get better since purchaseable gear sucks at this stage I guess...

Same as the guy above, you wanna use the fighter or warrior vocation some to get more defense stats and passives. The assassin is the strider and fighter mixed. By leveling only the strider side and using the assassin, there's potential your leaving on the table.

A few questions.

1) In the latter game, yea youll find stuff thats better, but most of that stuff is really good for when your starting off. And also you can sell all of it for some really, REALLY good profits, were talking 300k+ good. But me personally, I dont sell any of my armor or weapons because each vocation has their own set of armor and weapons they can and cant use. so if you sold all the armor besides what you got on your back, and switch vocations, you'd find out the hard way that all that gear you just had on cant be used AT ALL on the new vocation, so youd have to buy all that shit.

2) well in this game, those curatives heal a percentage. I dont think it heals a flat amount so any curative is good to use. You can combine some of the weaker curatives into stronger ones. I hoard all my shit like in fallout and craft curatives for my team. Its a worthwhile investment for when your going into the end game where those curatives really make a difference. Some enemies will have you using like 30 curatives in one fight.

3) you can actually find the tome in the males bandit camp, so even if you killed the guy or dont want to do the mission to earn it from him, you can still get it. Its in a chest on the camp site. just gotta search.

4) most of the better gear you will get will be found by exploring. Just explore more and open chest.

damn, the whole end of the game is really something else :D

Yea, the game ending is on some Bioshock infinite type level of confusion.

So, couple of Mystic Knight gear questions:

1. Do I want full melee weapons or the mixed magic/melee ones? Like is a weapon with 100 attack 200 magic better than something with 300 attack?

2. Does the magic stat on shield only impact shield stuff? Like perfect block counters and everything? Or does it also impact your great cannons and ruinous sigils and stuff?

3. Is it bad to have a shield or weapon that has a specific element? Like I can buy a shield that says its always thunder. Is that something that should be avoided unless you know specifically what you are fighting?

1. With mystic knight, it seems to be that melee weapon with natural magic is the route to go. Since the magic you cast seems to scale off the magic damage of your character, and a weapon with magic enchantments increase that magic damage, it seems about right. I found an exact copy of the same weapon i was using but with fire magic as a permanent enchant on it, and my magic cannon for example seems to do more damage. especially against enemies weak to fire.

2. You know what........thats a good question. I know for a fact it DOES impact your shield magic though, but I think the magic of magic cannon scales off the magic of what weapon you got in your hand, thus why I think a magic melee weapon is better for mystic knight. I could be wrong, but just from regular play, it seems to be that magic melee weapons perform better.

3. Nah, its not bad, even though it may have thunder, and your fighting against an enemy who is resistance to thunder, you can always put another enchantment on it and make it fire for example. Thats what I do with the fire mace I got. When fighting a drake, enchant it with ice and the battle tables are changed completely in your favor.

not-like-this.gif

I couldn't even beat the boss.

Yea bruh, shit gets really, REALLY serious after daimon. TO give you an example of what we mean

you know those demon dogs at the very start of BBI, after daimon, there's no more dogs, instead, you got demon harpys and elder ogres.......right from the fucking start and it only gets hard from there. with a got damn dark dragon in the next fucking room.

draetenth

Wow, I never experienced the Ogres rage against females until I met a pair while hunting for undead (to fulfill a notice board quest) around the Abby near the mines. I had to run the first time because I had no reliable source of damage. Came back the next night with Lightning Trance on my MK and proceeded to beat them by abusing great cannon.

I think I need to advance the story a bit though as I haven't even met the guy at pawn guild and I just have really basic weapons. I don't think I should've been fighting the orges just yet...

Also, what does this fiend alluring incense/potion thing do? Is it supposed to be used in a specific area?

Also, what does this fiend alluring incense/potion thing do? Is it supposed to be used in a specific area?

You use that in Bitter black isle.

When you wanna get your dick kicked around in the dirt or a couple uppercuts to the vijay-jay, you use that to summon a high level boss class monster. They drop some bomb ass gear though. Thats mainly the reason you use it.

KingKong

It's really disappointing that Bitterblack Isle reuses its locations. Like cmon, there's basically 3 'zones', you couldnt do more than basically copying and pasting them?

Lanrutcon

My pawn is now packing the Fortune secret augment :D everything she kills drops a 100 RC in addition to the normal stuff.

Unless you're on Hard, in which case it drops 10k gold sacks instead.

I can't wait to get my hands on the online version. Playing the game is awesome, but man would it be even more great to dungeon dive with real players instead of pawns with this games awesome combat.

My mouth drools thinking about it.

I'd... keep my expectations in check. Transition to online tends to murder single player action games, as there are many, many things you simply can't do in an environment which is essentially non-deterministic (multiple players plus lag mitigation/interpolation/rollback, etc.). DDO is looking good but until I get my hands on it and feel how it plays I won't be sold.

When it comes to combat, not even the souls series can touch this game.

I disagree, although DD is certainly among the few I would even dream of comparing to them. DD is more akin to character action games in any case, it's more Bayonetta than Bloodborne.

Overside

Banned
I'd... keep my expectations in check. Transition to online tends to murder single player action games, as there are many, many things you simply can't do in an environment which is essentially non-deterministic (multiple players plus lag mitigation/interpolation/rollback, etc.). DDO is looking good but until I get my hands on it and feel how it plays I won't be sold.

I disagree, although DD is certainly among the few I would even dream of comparing to them. DD is more akin to character action games in any case, it's more Bayonetta than Bloodborne.

On the bright side, the way monster hunter handles online,the way it prioritizes, does give me reasonable hope for dd online.

silva1991

Yea bruh, shit gets really, REALLY serious after daimon. TO give you an example of what we mean

you know those demon dogs at the very start of BBI, after daimon, there's no more dogs, instead, you got demon harpys and elder ogres.......right from the fucking start and it only gets hard from there. with a got damn dark dragon in the next fucking room.

Damn.

I bet even that giant dog will appear more often.

draetenth

Aw, I went and did the short pawn guild quests (matter of myrmidons) and looked at the notice boards in the Pawn Guild to find... some quests to kill two ogres and a bunch of undead which I had just been doing for fun...

You use that in Bitter black isle.

When you wanna get your dick kicked around in the dirt or a couple uppercuts to the vijay-jay, you use that to summon a high level boss class monster. They drop some bomb ass gear though. Thats mainly the reason you use it.

Does it matter which room?

Top Bottom