• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Blitzhex

Fighting ur-dragon offline. Took off 5 of its health bars, it dropped some loot from its chest and flew off. What do? Did I fail?

Fighting ur-dragon offline. Took off 5 of its health bars, it dropped some loot from its chest and flew off. What do? Did I fail?

It saves your progress, so it takes a few tries to get it down. There's like 10 minute windows or something for the fight, then it flies off.

Just a tip: Pop a double-XP item before you kill it. I did that and gained like 6 levels. lol

You have 10 minutes to kill it, otherwise it flies off in both online and offline modes. However, in offline mode, its health doesn't reset. So next time you face it it'll have the same health as when it left.

Blitzhex

It saves your progress, so it takes a few tries to get it down. There's like 10 minute windows or something for the fight, then it flies off.

Just a tip: Pop a double-XP item before you kill it. I did that and gained like 6 levels. lol

You have 10 minutes to kill it, otherwise it flies off in both online and offline modes. However, in offline mode, its health doesn't reset. So next time you face it it'll have the same health as when it left.

Sweet, thanks. It's hella easy with charged holy affinity sorc spell lol. I'm kinda beating the whole game with that one spell atm.

ParityBit

Stupid question .... How do I know what stuff I pick up I can just drop in storage at the inn? I am getting weighed down with random stuff like components, etc.

I thought I'd dabble in some sorcery having sort of finished the game. I'm at level 70 and I've played nothing but assassin with a very short detour into warrior. How sucky will my magic be compared to my pawn who casts for a living?

Vuze

Stupid question .... How do I know what stuff I pick up I can just drop in storage at the inn? I am getting weighed down with random stuff like components, etc.
I just drop all materials and all combo-only items at the inn right away, then further narrow down potions and herbs.

AcAnchoa

Just finished Witch Hunt, and now I hate golems After painfully halving his health he got grip of my main pawn and healed himself. Then I run off and came back with high exequy and a ton of healing items. Felt cheap, but so did seeing him recovering half his health in a matter of seconds after spending 20 minutes fighting him.

Anyway, thanks for the answers to my previous questions.

Lanrutcon

Just finished Witch Hunt, and now I hate golems After painfully halving his health he got grip of my main pawn and healed himself. Then I run off and came back with high exequy and a ton of healing items. Felt cheap, but so did seeing him recovering half his health in a matter of seconds after spending 20 minutes fighting him.

Anyway, thanks for the answers to my previous questions.

A knowledge rank 3 pawn with Thousand Kisses solos Golems. My pawn climbs on it once and brings it down, breaks everything but the hand and then arrows that off when the Golem gets back up.

Grief.exe

Is there a way to break helmets off of cyclops?

I have to admit. This game seems vastly more popular that anything I expected.

We've been telling Capcom for years that they made a huge mistake.

Glad Wbacon and the rest of the team were able to rectify this.

Corpekata

Banned
You can get a helemt off a cyclops if you climb near it, he'll reach for you, jump off, and he'll undo his helmet on accident.

Though having pawns that have some sort of lightning skill means he'll probably be stunned for so long he'll never do it.

draetenth

How does the pawn inclination potions work? Is it like this? Say you want to change all three:

I drink Potion Z, then potion Y, than potion X and my inclinations should be A, B and then C?

You give inclination potions in the REVERSE order that you want them: The inclination you want as a primary should be given last.

For Example, say I want a Utilitarian/Challenger/Mitigator. You give the inclinations in this order: Mititagor then Challenger, and finally the Utilitarian.

You also need to give different amounts to make sure there isn't any conflict like say 1 Mitigator, 2 Challenger, and 4 Utilitarian (how much depends on how often you want vocations to change - the more you give of each - the more that inclination will be "locked" in for awhile).

If you give the same amount, then your pawn might get confused and won't know which inclination takes priority. Say you give 2 Mitigator, 2 Challenger, and 4 Utilitarian potions. If you look at the stats page, the pawn should show Utilitarian as a primary, but a dash as a secondary indicating that the Mitigator and Challenger inclinations have the same priority.

Hard mode applies to BBI too right? Still getting one-shot by the Drake in Devilfire Grove despite being level 50 plus and it's really getting annoying. Especially since I can pretty much take him on and do a ton of damage.

Contemplating switching to normal but I'm not sure if I should. Hard mode doesn't seem like it was particular tuned very well. The health and stamina modifiers are getting irritating at this point.

I don't think it does. The monsters in BBI do the same damage no matter what difficulty mode you are in. The only thing that hard mode affects for BBI is the stamina usage of skills.

Utilitarian-Challenger-Mitigator inclination is really powerful. My pawn always ride cyclops back to make them take off their own helmet and always successful. The Pawn AI could be both amazingly stupid and brilliant at the same time, really surprising.

This is my favorite inclination for Rangers, Mages, and Sorcerers.

Grief.exe

You can get a helemt off a cyclops if you climb near it, he'll reach for you, jump off, and he'll undo his helmet on accident.

Though having pawns that have some sort of lightning skill means he'll probably be stunned for so long he'll never do it.

Climb on the back off its head/neck. The cyclops will tear off the helmet when it goes for the grab animation.

My mage pawn had it stunned constantly, I was climbing all over it.

Lanrutcon

Blast Arrows, big spells, explosives in general, and heavy damage. Now that I'm brutally overleveled I just climb up the general head area and unleash. I've seen sorcerer pawns stunlock cyclops with some lightning spell.

AcAnchoa

A knowledge rank 3 pawn with Thousand Kisses solos Golems. My pawn climbs on it once and brings it down, breaks everything but the hand and then arrows that off when the Golem gets back up.
Good to know, thanks! Sadly my pawns had no knowledge at all about golems when I fought this one.

Blitzhex

I don't know if it's enb or dragons dogma or chrome running in the background, but my nvidia drivers keep crashing every 3 hours or so playing this game.

Sanctuary

How in the hell are you supposed to beat the Ur-Dragon (offline) as a Mystic Knight? I have had him near death for the past hour, and the last glowing part of his body is near the end of his tail; which is impossible to hit. Each time I set up a cannon to hit it, he either flies away or reverses directions instantly. I've tried running underneath to get to the tail, but then he just flips as soon as I reach it, and if I try to climb, it's nothing but non stop AOE holy attacks.

Am I just supposed to go full pretend Mage now?

ref

Is it true that the game becomes easy later in?

I'm worried it will become a complete walk in the park.

I'd start my first playthrough on hard but I hear it's not recommended for a variety of reasons.

garath

My pawn got hired another 7 times. Got RC for all of them. Gifts for all but 1, but 5 of them rated her 3* :( one even put a comment that she was very knowledgeable. Sigh.

Still sporting a 4* overall average but stinks to get so many 3* ratings.

Sanctuary

It does become a walk in the park, linearly. There are a few fights (depending on class) that become less a walk in the park, but you should still be able to beat those encounters on your first attempt until quite a bit later in the game (then it gets slightly more challenging again once you enter BBI. Until you get all of the broken gear from that area anyway).

Anteater

I'd start my first playthrough on hard but I hear it's not recommended for a variety of reasons.

It's a bit unbalanced, it's not difficult but it can be challenging in a way at the beginning, then you will eventually outlevel some of the mobs, then it gets challenging again with post game, and dark arisen content can be hard, I'd say just play it as it is on normal and just have fun experimenting since the game gives you the liberty to

Echoplx

I noticed some spells you can hold the charge in for a second time, what exactly does that do? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Sanctuary

I noticed some spells you can hold the charge in for a second time, what exactly does that do? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

That's how you use the second (and sometimes third) tier of that spell. For instance, with Ingle, you just get one bar. For High Ingle though, you need to charge the first bar (regular Ingle) and then the second to reach the next tier. If you let go before the bar of the tier you are trying to reach finishes, it will just cast the spell on the tier you have currently finished. It's really easy to see the change too with a spell like Ingle. First tier just shoots one fireball, while the next launches three.

Tonza

Considering buying this even though I didn't really get into it on PS3 at the time.

Something just keeps me thinking I might like it now. I think I got to the main city on PS3 before abandoning the game.

Alright, I'm getting frustrated.

My pawns are idiots. They are literally doing little else than running around me in circles while I fight. They don't take shots, they don't cast spells, or if they do they cancel them ever 3 seconds. It's getting really god damn annoying dying in BBI because one of them decides they want to go on a walk and not rejoin the battle.

Yea, thus why you gotta look at those inclinations on the pawns, those are Ai characteristics that determine what they will do in and out of battle.

The warrior skill Audacity which "makes it harder for enemies to knock you off your feet while charging an attack" definitely makes it harder for enemies to knock you off your feet while charging an attack.

I6rJBnx.gif

I think I finally figured out how to play a warrior.

Hell yea, nice gif.

That determines the strength of the spell, for example, if you have a fire spell, and then bought the second level of that spell, if you let the bar charge up once, then it will fire off the level one spell, if you let it fill up two times, then the second level version of that spell will fire.

Although some skill just flat out replace the first version and the first version can no longer be used.

There's also a THIRD level, but those can not be learned though, they are linked to gear and you gotta wear that gear that allows you to use the third level of that skill. And those items are found in Bitter Black Isle.

For example, if you have ingle(that basic fire spell), with the ring that teaches you ingle and high ingle, and equip it, you will be able to use ingle, high ingle and grand ingle.

I don't know if it's enb or dragons dogma or chrome running in the background, but my nvidia drivers keep crashing every 3 hours or so playing this game.

Is your card over clocked by chance???

I learned, the hard way, that overclocked cards are garbage.

I have to use afterburner to underclock my shit to make my games run without that damn nvidia driver crash.

Considering buying this even though I didn't really get into it on PS3 at the time.

Something just keeps me thinking I might like it now. I think I got to the main city on PS3 before abandoning the game.

PC version is far superior than PS3. The lower resolution and the terrible frame rate made the game very unenjoyable. But on the PC......its glorious!!!
You dropped out right before the game started getting good. Id say pick it up, its only $30, and I gurantee you the combat and moment to moment action in this game will be some of the best you had in gaming.

When it comes to combat, not even the souls series can touch this game.

Varna

Is min-maxing really that important in this game? I swear every guide I see says something a long the lines of Fight level 10 and then 190 levels of assassin for DPS classes.

I maxed out strider but never really bought the augments that enabled me to climb enemies more efficiently, is there ever a big reason to do so outside of griffins or cutting heads off of chimeras?

Can anyone give me some info on vocations? I started with Strider. I'm at the Pawn Guild and trying to decide what possibly to switch to. I feel really weak compared to the fighter and the 2 mages (I think I have 1 sorc and 1 mage).

I can go to an ranger, assassin, magic archer. Any tips/advice?

Is there any penalty to starting with Strider and going to Fighter/Warrior or even mage? Can all vocations actually be maxed?

edit: Also I'm guessing there are some reasons to want to level multiple vocations to get cross class skills?

Is min-maxing really that important in this game? I swear every guide I see says something a long the lines of Fight level 10 and then 190 levels of assassin for DPS classes.

Not really, If you want to be the best and take on the UR dragon, then yea, your gonna need to be something of a maxer to take them on, but if you just playing to enjoy the game, nnnooooooo, far from no. We got some people who are still using the rustle weapons at the start of the game. But those people just like a challange though. Also the rustled weapons have a special effect when they are upgraded enough.

I maxed out strider but never really bought the augments that enabled me to climb enemies more efficiently, is there ever a big reason to do so outside of griffins or cutting heads off of chimeras?

yes, climbing is very important in this game. some enemies may seem impossible to beat without climbing with some classes, like fighting a golem as a warrior. But you dont need to get the augments for it though. Thats more of a quality of life improvement.

Pakkidis

Not really. I Min/Max an assassin and although extremely powerful, it probably wouldn't make that big of a difference in the end as I could kill almost every enemy in a few shots anyways.

Just play the game the way you want. In the end, the fact that you are missing out on some damage won't make that big of a difference.

Also, do any mods help make the game not look so bad at night time? Can't see crap as a Strider.

The game was made like that on purpose. You can use a lantern to like up your personal space, but thats about it. No mods to change that at the moment, at least none of nexus. If you dont like traveling at night, sleep at an inn until morning.

Can anyone give me some info on vocations? I started with Strider. I'm at the Pawn Guild and trying to decide what possibly to switch to. I feel really weak compared to the fighter and the 2 mages (I think I have 1 sorc and 1 mage).

Is there any penalty to starting with Strider and going to Fighter/Warrior or even mage? Can all vocations actually be maxed?

You can max and switch out vocations at anytime and for as many times as you like once you paid to unlock them.

There's no penalties for using one vocation over the other.

Actually, its more beneficial to max out as many vocations as you can as some abilities and passives can be used on other vocations and also some vocations train certain character stats better than others as you level up to level 200.

But when it comes to which vocation you should select, just try them all. And stick with the one you find to be more fun.

It comes down to purely personal preference. Any vocation you select will have its strengths and weaknesses, but thats where pawns come in to use vocations to fill in for your vocation weaknesses.

The game was made like that on purpose. You can use a lantern to like up your personal space, but thats about it. No mods to change that at the moment, at least none of nexus. If you dont like traveling at night, sleep at an inn until morning.

You can max and switch out vocations at anytime and for as many times as you like once you paid to unlock them.

There's no penalties for using one vocation over the other.

Actually, its more beneficial to max out as many vocations as you can as some abilities and passives can be used on other vocations and also some vocations train certain character stats better than others as you level up to level 200.

But when it comes to which vocation you should select, just try them all. And stick with the one you find to be more fun.

It comes down to purely personal preference. Any vocation you select will have its strengths and weaknesses, but thats where pawns come in to use vocations to fill in for your vocation weaknesses.

Thanks for the post. Is it possible to max a few vocations in the game then?

JimPanzer

is the order of the
everfall
(post-game location spoiler) fixed? Or do I have to pay attention to
which ledge I grab
(mechanic spoiler)

Shengar

Like someone had said, climb on its back up to the neck then jumped off so it can't grab you. Better alternative would be search for Pawn with Utilitarian-Challenger (or as long as the primary is utilitarian) inclination. My pawn always managed baiting the cyclops to take off their own helmet. Meanwhile in my PS3 game I'm just brute force thos helmet like an idiot.

Seyavesh

whoa, random thing but going to the cathedral and mason was there and he just started chattin' to me about his ties

i always thought he worked for gransys/duke edmund but turns out he works for the church and that they're like some super sinister organization

boy that's a random detail that has nothing to do with anything actually presented to you in the game

edit: Also I'm guessing there are some reasons to want to level multiple vocations to get cross class skills?

The Ranger and Assassin vocations are both awesome. The Ranger is basically the advanced Strider, gains access to the longbow and is able to inflict huge damage from long range with it eventually thanks to the skill tenfold flurry (shoot ten arrows at once, can do it repeatedly, but takes a lot of stamina. Personally my favorite class.

The Assassin is another awesome class, a hybrid of the Strider and Fighter classes. Has a lot of really cool skills for fast-paced offensive play. Basically the glass cannon of the game, extremely fun to play.

There is not many drawbacks to experimenting with the different vocations. There are some passive abilities that you will want to unlock from another vocation to be used with your "main" vocation. But be warned: If you spend a long time levelling up as a magic vocation for example, and then decide you want to be a Fighter instead, your strength and defense will be lower than it would be otherwise. But maxing out a vocation or two for a short time and then switching back shouldn't limit your character's stats very much.

Tonza

PC version is far superior than PS3. The lower resolution and the terrible frame rate made the game very unenjoyable. But on the PC......its glorious!!!
You dropped out right before the game started getting good. Id say pick it up, its only $30, and I gurantee you the combat and moment to moment action in this game will be some of the best you had in gaming.

When it comes to combat, not even the souls series can touch this game.

You conviced me, just bought it. Now to download.

I really enjoy good combat systems so I think I should enjoy this.

Top Bottom