• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Lanrutcon

holy fuck the last boss is annoying (before post game) he just grabs you and instakills you I am grabing onto his heart slashing it. Doesnt help I am a magick archer and no one in my party has dark mgaic

Periapts.

PSA: You can stack 4 of the same kind at any time. With 4 defense periapts on he won't kill you. With 4 strength periapts on you can Hundred Kisses his heart to death in seconds.

Ogawa-san

This game is janky as fuck. All enemy and ally AI pathing is terrible and ally AI is constantly clipping through rocks and other terrain and shit. When I climb dragons the rag doll physics frequently put my entire character model inside of the dragon, rendering my character invisible. Camera angles fight harder than any boss I have faced. Cutscenes start and end abruptly and bizarly, with you frequently being able to move and perform actions during them.
I'm with you with the cutscenes, but then again it's widely known that DD is mediocre at best on every aspect outside combat.

But the rest? I'm gonna sound like DD Defense Force now but if clipping, pathing and some camera issues are enough to call a game janky then well, what game isn't?

Jesus, you can't even control the camera in MH without a N3DS or a circle pad - no, dpad/touch screen don't count, I'm not a crab. But call it janky and people will scream bloody murder.

undu

3rd sanctum of BBI, below lvl 75. Oh boy lol

Basically running through hoping to find some cursed gear. That god damned room with the
Condemned cyclops and enemy sorcerer casting Maelstrom...and then they summon a few garm on top!

I feel so helpless at the moment. I really can't wait to get my Revenant Wail to smoke these clowns
Same here, but somebody sent me a cursed weapon which got me the darkening storm, I'm trying to dragonforge it.

Ferr986

I'm ready to do the last mission before
Grigori
, so I decided to hold on it, grabbed my lvl 1 Ranger vocation and travel around the world to clear all of the map while I level it up.

Fun times! and damn is Ranger good! I knocked down a Chimera that was jumping to me with that charged shoot (like in that gif with the warrior dude).

Ultrabum

I'm with you with the cutscenes, but then again it's widely known that DD is mediocre at best on every aspect outside combat.

But the rest? I'm gonna sound like DD Defense Force now but if clipping, pathing and some camera issues are enough to call a game janky then well, what game isn't?

Jesus, you can't even control the camera in MH without a N3DS or a circle pad - no, dpad/touch screen don't count, I'm not a crab. But call it janky and people will scream bloody murder.

MH4U is infinitely less janky than dragons dogma in every way imaginable (I played with a circle pad pro). They are not even on the same level, especially with collision detection.

Most of that is due dragons dogma being a bigger more ambitious game, which almost always comes with jank.

Edit: Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-CmJ2h8mwU showing some of what I'm talking about. This shit happened constantly, and frequently caused the AI to path is strange ways and aggro enemies far from me and die.

What exactly was janky about "The ramblings of an upjumped zealot makes for tedious listening.."?
Or "Some welcome the end with arms outstreched...while others come to face death incarnate, arms in hand."
I'm hard pressed to ever skip those cutscenes.

Momentary

Banned
This is prolly the worst opinion yet here, MA is very powerful and is the single most powerful class in the BBI expansion, it's really no contest.

"Created" is a big word, QLOC handled the pc version yes, but this game isn't a port, MTF is a pc centric engine and the workflow requires that a pc version exists before it gets ported to console.
QLOC handled this under supervision from capcom osaka, they probably made some finishing touches, added some features and did the QC.

They probably did do everything without anyone telling them what to do because they are badass.

Just because a game is MTF, Unreal, CE3, or whatever have you, doesn't mean that massive amounts of work doesn't go into these ports.There's plenty of crap ports from last year done by other companies that run on "PC centric" engines. There's a reason why QLOC's name is sang from the tops of mountains. They do what other port studios can't do. Nixxes and Avalanche Studios are also up there.

They probably did do everything without anyone telling them what to do because they are badass.

Just because a game is MTF, Unreal, CE3, or whatever have you, doesn't mean that massive amounts of work doesn't go into these ports. There's a reason why QLOC's name is sang from the tops of mountains. They do what other port studios can't do.

Well, the reality is that the workflow capcom osaka with MTF dictates a pc version existing first, this is not the case with Unreal or CE.
It doesn't matter if it's not released, or released later, the pc version is built first and then ported over to consoles. So it doesn't matter if QLOC is a "port" studio, there was nothing to port.

Momentary

Banned
Well, the reality is that the workflow capcom osaka with MTF dictates a pc version existing first, this is not the case with Unreal or CE.
It doesn't matter if it's not released, or released later, the pc version is built first and then ported over to consoles. So it doesn't matter if QLOC is a "port" studio, there was nothing to port.

Hah hah hah. Okay. Batman was made on PC first too bro.

Edit: Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-CmJ2h8mwU showing some of what I'm talking about. This shit happened constantly, and frequently caused the AI to path is strange ways and aggro enemies far from me and die.

This is the first time in 500 hours I've seen this.
Also AI aggro'ing enemies just means their inclination tells them to go do that; if you are running around with pioneers or scathers then yeah, they are going to aggro anything and everything.

Styles

Do the armour and weapon clipping bother anyone else? It's way too distracting to me.

The game DESPERATELY needs a sequel(or a spiritual one, w/e) with cloth physics and all that dandy stuff.

Gorecyclopses - spooky from afar and up close.

ddda_2016_01_24_08_00_28_by_realghostvids-d9p1tnq.jpg

ddda_2016_01_24_08_02_01_by_realghostvids-d9p1tnu.jpg

Ryne

Getting wrecked at night when I'm level 20, and loving it.

Don't think I'll be going out at night anymore though, I want levels but not that badly.

This is prolly the worst opinion yet here, MA is very powerful and is the single most powerful class in the BBI expansion, it's really no contest.

I was going to defend myself saying it was just an opinion and that I didn't like playing as MA but then you already picked up on that in the first part of your post. I'm not saying MAs aren't good but I really dislike playing as them.

yamo

What's up with the neogaf steam group for this game? I'm giving everyone on my friends list 5 stars all the time (no matter how shitty they look or perform), but I mainly get 3 or 4 stars back as best.

By the way, will the pawn owner get a rating if you lose their pawn?

Corpekata

Banned
What's up with the neogaf stream group for this game? I'm giving everyone on my friends list 5 stars all the time (no matter how shitty they look or perform), but I mainly get 3 or 4 stars back as best.

By the way, will the pawn owner get a rating if you lose their pawn?

Defaults to 3 stars if they die.

Lanrutcon

I was going to defend myself saying it was just an opinion and that I didn't like playing as MA but then you already picked up on that in the first part of your post. I'm not saying MAs aren't good but I really dislike playing as them.

They basically have 3 cool tricks:

- 6/9 Shot: it's a ranged nuke. Effective against your generic large enemies.
- Explosive Rivet: works super well if you have some strength pawns with you. Light em up, and your pawns should detonate your shots for you. Ragdolls a lot of problematic enemies.
- Ricochet: This shit in small rooms is borderline cheating. Wanna 1 shot Garms? Maul Eliminators without a care? Stupidly good in BBI.

When I first started playing MA I also posted here that the class felt like poop. Unfun to play, not very effective. Now it's my vocation of choice for fucking shit up. The easiest class to complete BBI with, barring a Ranger with a few hundred Blast Arrows.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so do dragons just spawn all the time in the garden near the start of BBI now? There was one there, I killed it, a cursed one came down, I killed it. Later, I went there again, and there was another one >_>

none were particulary hard im just wondering.

They basically have 3 cool tricks:

- 6/9 Shot: it's a ranged nuke. Effective against your generic large enemies.
- Explosive Rivet: works super well if you have some strength pawns with you. Light em up, and your pawns should detonate your shots for you. Ragdolls a lot of problematic enemies.
- Ricochet: This shit in small rooms is borderline cheating. Wanna 1 shot Garms? Maul Eliminators without a care? Stupidly good in BBI.

When I first started playing MA I also posted here that the class felt like poop. Unfun to play, not very effective. Now it's my vocation of choice for fucking shit up. The easiest class to complete BBI with, barring a Ranger with a few hundred Blast Arrows.

Why does everyone forget about ward arrow...

Overside

Banned

Nah magic archer does kind of suck.

Oh true it is stupid strong. Very powerful.

But when I just point in the general direction, wait for a lock on or ding and then fire and forget, and watch as some grand effect obliterates the enemy while I sit back and scratch some itchy butt...

It leaves very little feeling of triumph and satisfaction, which is one of the greatest things about DD.

Getting MA skills is always the least enjoyable aspect of a run for me.

Well, except immolation, that is strangely satisfying.

Corpekata

Banned
What does the Assassin augment that multiplies damage against enemies "not in battle stance" apply to? I assume enemies that haven't been alerted, but are there any other conditions?

IIRC the agument was bugged on consoles, not sure if they ever fixed it.

It basically just means what you suggest. You can test it without the augment easily on bow characters, like one of the power moves on a Cyclops Arm will cause it to drop a club at the start but might not once combat has started.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
so do dragons just spawn all the time in the garden near the start of BBI now? There was one there, I killed it, a cursed one came down, I killed it. Later, I went there again, and there was another one >_>

none were particulary hard im just wondering.
Yep. it's basically the go-to place to farm dragonforging, haha. Kill a drake, if a cursed dragon shows up kill that one too (if not, place rancid bait to spawn one), enter the void key door and come back to typically find yet another cursed dragon (I think it's guaranteed even). Rinse repeat.

Nah magic archer does kind of suck.

Oh true it is stupid strong. Very powerful.

But when I just point in the general direction, wait for a lock on or ding and then fire and forget, and watch as some grand effect obliterates the enemy while I sit back and scratch some itchy butt...

It leaves very little feeling of triumph and satisfaction, which is one of the greatest things about DD.

Getting MA skills is always the least enjoyable aspect of a run for me.

Well, except immolation, that is strangely satisfying.

Well I generally play as warrior so no argument there.

Corpekata

Banned
What's the recommended level for BBI?

I'd say just go there when you beat the main game. Play a bit of the Everfall, see if it feels too easy, then move on.

Up to the first boss the enemies there aren't particularly notable and should easily be doable for most people 40+ so you can at least do some exploring. Once you get to the boss, probably 55+

Vuze

"Rise of the Fallen" side quest was probably the best one yet in terms of equip drop.
I got neat "Crimson Teeth" daggers which exceed my 3-Star forged daggers from the smith as well as a great archistaff for my main pawn.

Quest itself was quite nice too!

Same here, but somebody sent me a cursed weapon which got me the darkening storm, I'm trying to dragonforge it.
very nice. Pays to have friends ahead of the curve

There are definitely a few level barriers with BBI. I had to cheese the second sanctum boss with high level pawns because my DFed Dragon's Glaze wasn't breaking the damage barrier. You can even get away with being under level 60 to a point and beat the first boss but...yeah, eventually until it becomes untenable.

By sanctum 3 it just becomes a shitshow if you aren't properly leveled

Blitzhex

Will using my friend's pawn that's 10 levels higher than me really hurt my exp? The other random pawn I have is 20 levels below me.

Steel

Banned
So, steamspy has the game at 173k sold. Hope that's considered a success by Capcom, so far. Game will have legs, for sure.

Quikies83

Well just beat the final dragon at level 42.
So do I need to go through all everfall for the 20 wakestones or could I possibly consider heading for BBI?

Top Bottom