• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Lanrutcon

Can anyone give me some info on vocations? I started with Strider. I'm at the Pawn Guild and trying to decide what possibly to switch to. I feel really weak compared to the fighter and the 2 mages (I think I have 1 sorc and 1 mage).

I can go to an ranger, assassin, magic archer. Any tips/advice?

Is there any penalty to starting with Strider and going to Fighter/Warrior or even mage? Can all vocations actually be maxed?

edit: Also I'm guessing there are some reasons to want to level multiple vocations to get cross class skills?

Striders are amazing.

You have 3 means of fucking things up: climb on to enemy, get to a weak spot, hundred (thousand) kisses spam. This method stays highly effective against pretty much anything the game throws at you.

Then you have Skullsplitter. Equip the augment that gives you more damage for aerial attacks, then just jump right next to the enemy and activate Skullsplitter. Turns you into a buzzsaw.

Finally you have Cloudburst Volley, which is useless against certain enemies and absolutely nuts against others.

If you feel weak compared to a Fighter & Mage, then you're in for a shock. Striders do a crapload more damage than either of those.

You conviced me, just bought it. Now to download.

I really enjoy good combat systems so I think I should enjoy this.

Yea man, game is really good. Like I even stopped playing fallout for this game. Been playing Fallout 4 everyday since its release and haven't played it once after Dragons dogma came to PC.

Dogma is all i been playing.

I can't wait to get my hands on the online version. Playing the game is awesome, but man would it be even more great to dungeon dive with real players instead of pawns with this games awesome combat.

My mouth drools thinking about it.

DCZWcnut.png

Lunar15

Man, I wanted to be Guts, but Longsword in this game is absolutely horrible to play, at least at this stage.

I think I need to rethink my entire character and pawn.

I must have missed a tutorial at some point... What do I need to fast travel, where do I get the item to fast travel and how do I use the item? Running back and forth sucks

Ferr986

all you guys dressing up your pawns with that Duchess costume... it's really making it hard for me to hire them

Honestly, my pawn has it but only because I want her to be the most useful possible for people that hire her and that outfit is OP. Wouldnt mind to change it otherwise.

Cutwolf

I'm still getting that PITA issue where it thinks I'm holding down a directional button. It takes 2 or 3 restarts of the game before it reads all my keys in "neutral" position.

I must have missed a tutorial at some point... What do I need to fast travel, where do I get the item to fast travel and how do I use the item? Running back and forth sucks

Ferrystone is the consumable that you use to fast travel. It allows you to fast travel to a Port Crystal. You get Port Crystal's in various locations throughout the world, with one being fairly early on in the main story. You can put that Port Crystal anywhere in the world (except in most interior locations).

There are two permanent Port Crystal's located in Gran Soren and outside of Cassardis. If you access your Storage from Gran Soren (or Bitterblack Isle), you can pick up the Eternal Ferrystone, which is an unlimited use item.

Mideon

I'm confused. Are you blaming the game for your computer issues?
Yeah my computer issues when no other games freeze that I have crash and I have already had to do the windows 10 fix that Capcom never picked up on even though it happens in one of there other titles. Yeah my PC it must be that!

draetenth

Whew, just spent all morning sending friend invites to a bunch of people from this thread and the Dragon's Dogma NeoGAF Steam group. My steam name is the same as here. Thank You to those who've accepted.

Don't feel obligated to use my pawn. I was getting tired of looking for good pawns so I figured having friends would help.

Where are you in the game? You get an eternal ferrystone (infinite use) at the inn in Grand Soren after a main mission takes you there (it's like the third or fourth one). The ferrystone lets you teleport to portcrystals. IIRC, there is s permanent portcrystal outside Cassardis and in Grand Soren. You have to find/buy more portcrystals (you will find like four during your travels) and place them wherever you want (and you can pick them up to move them later if you want).

You just use it like any other item from your inventory.

FX-GMC

Yeah my computer issues when no other games freeze that I have craah and I have already had to do the windows 10 fix that Capcom never picked up on even though it happens in one of there other titles. Yeah my PC it must be that!

Hmm, I never did any "Windows 10 fix". Haven't even heard of one. Works fine since the moment it finished downloading on steam.

I also haven't seen anyone complaining about hard freezes with this game (that aren't on PS3). Hard freezes are commonly caused by driver issues and compounded with overclocking....but that's none of my business.

Mideon

Hmm, I never did any "Windows 10 fix". Haven't seen anyone complaining about hard freezes with this game. Hard freezes are commonly caused by driver issues and compounded with overclocking....but that's none of my business.
I don't overclock any of my stuff I'm in the Windows 10 insider preview so maybe it's the version of Windows 10 I'm on I don't know I'm sorry if I was short just a bit pissed off after losing my progress for the 2nd time.

Blitzhex

Had 2 hard freezes where I have had to restart my PC one more time and I'm out.

Did you wait it out? I get a freeze sometimes (nvidia driver crash), can't do anything but sound still works, then the driver comes back alive after a min or so and the game resumes. Only happens in this game.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So far, at lvl 21, i feel my assassin cant really participate that much in large scale battles? It feels very squishy and i got 1-shot many times. My previous 360 play was with a mage so maybe im more used to be standing in the back and blow shit up, letting my pawns take the heat, so i guess i'll have to relearn this game from a melee perspective. Or maybe im not in the right level area.. Im kind of lost at the moment, i remember the areas but i dont remember the logical level/area progression.

FX-GMC

I don't overclock any of my stuff I'm in the Windows 10 insider preview so maybe it's the version of Windows 10 I'm on I don't know I'm sorry if I was short just a bit pissed off after losing my progress for the 2nd time.

I'm also on the insider preview but I may have moved to the slow track at some point. I can understand that you are pissed. I would be too. I would verify my steam files and then use DDU to remove my display driver and reinstall. If that doesn't stop it you will could use driver verifier http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lo...-driver-verifier-identify-issues-drivers.html. Running this will cause a Blue Screen that identifies any drivers causing instability as long as they were selected in step 5 at the link.

ran93r

Is there any reason to use a pawn you've had for a long time or should I be looking to upgrade ASAP?

Hired pawns don't level with you.
If you want to carry on using them at a higher level, release them and hire them back, assuming the owner has levelled it up some.

Or just get a shiny new one.

Worth noting that if the owner has changed their vocation, skills, gear, you will be stuck with whatever setup they are now running with.

I killed a wyvern. Then I got a quest to kill a wyvern. Now I can't kill a wyvern again. I can FIND a wyvern. That's no problem. But no matter what I do I can't get its attention and it just sits there flying around in circles above me. It's even out of bow range.

Tried some of the DLC area today too and I got to that giant cyclops. Fought it for about 5 minutes using Cannon/Sigils and barely did any damage to it. Just gave up after a while due to boredom.

Get in a clearing near the middle of it's flight path and jump around some to get its attention, or just go to Bluemoon Tower.

How in the hell are you supposed to beat the Ur-Dragon (offline) as a Mystic Knight? I have had him near death for the past hour, and the last glowing part of his body is near the end of his tail; which is impossible to hit. Each time I set up a cannon to hit it, he either flies away or reverses directions instantly. I've tried running underneath to get to the tail, but then he just flips as soon as I reach it, and if I try to climb, it's nothing but non stop AOE holy attacks.

Am I just supposed to go full pretend Mage now?

Holy Affinity + stacked Great Cannons. If you just want to kill it to get it over with, go Magick Archer and use the Holy Hunter Bolt.

is the order of the
everfall
(post-game location spoiler) fixed? Or do I have to pay attention to
which ledge I grab
(mechanic spoiler)

Here:

For anyone exploring post-dragon and wondering what exactly you can find:

Here's the chambers of the Everfall and what you'll find inside:

0. Confusion - mandatory, any door you enter will bring you here. Evil Eye.
1. Anxiety - Lich, Undead, Skeletons.
2. Absence - Inky Saurians, Magi, Hellhounds, Grim Goblins.
3. Hesitation - Snowy Saurians, Undead, ArchHydra.
4. Apprehension - Gore Chimera, Wights, Undead / 2 Cockatrices, Grim Goblins, Vile Eyes.
5. Remorse - Grim Goblins, Golem, Cyclops, MERCHANT.
6. Tragedy - Succubi, Gargoyles, Phantasms.
7. Lament - UR-DRAGON
8. Fate - Drake + Harpies or Chimera + Gore Chimera + Lich summoning Hellhounds / Succubi, Gargoyles.
9. Distress - Direwolves, Snow Harpies, Wyrm.
10. Estrangement - Golem + Cyclops + Ogre or Metal Golem + Wight / MERCHANT, Undead, Phantasms.
11. Woe - Lich, Fell-Lords, Undead.
12. Sorrow - Tentacles, Vile Eyes, Grim Goblins, Evil Eye.
13. Resolution - Ogres, Undead, Cockatrice, Inky Saurians.
14. Inspiration - Phantasms, Magi.
15. Hope - Bloated Undead, Hellhounds, Gore Chimera, Magi.

The Chamber of Fate encounter with the Chimera+Gore+Lich+Hellhounds is arguably the toughest fight outside of BBI.

Have you updated Windows lately? The November update screwed up my W10 video drivers so I had to reinstall them - wouldn't be surprised if it's still doing that with recent updates. Try a clean driver installation if possible.

Sarcasm

Switched to assassin and whatnot. I completely get wrecked! I am still in stage 1 quests with some done in 2 but no main quests in 2. I got to rank 4 in strider, max in ranger and 3 in ass. Bandits own me... =(

Dunno how to get better since purchaseable gear sucks at this stage I guess...

Cutwolf

I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. They keep telling me to go talk to the woman at the pier and go to that island, but the first pack of dogs two shot me.

edit: did some more testing, the nerf seems to be about 45%, almost half. The dragon that now shows up in the garden only gave me 36k xp (I saved before at least) and the gain in speed wasnt that good, at least on this particular boss. Most of the dmg was coming from my ice shots tbh. Deffo going back for lvl appropriate pawns, sorry Noray / Reizo :(

It's capped at 25% per pawn, in direct relation to your level, so if you take a pawn that's 25 levels lower than you or leave a slot, and a pawn that's 25 levels higher, it cancels any xp loss

If you give the same amount, then your pawn might get confused and won't know which inclination takes priority. Say you give 2 Mitigator, 2 Challenger, and 4 Utilitarian potions. If you look at the stats page, the pawn should show Utilitarian as a primary, but a dash as a secondary indicating that the Mitigator and Challenger inclinations have the same priority.

No this isn't right, any potion take twice will become primary, and any potion you take that wasn't secondary will take the value of the secondary, taking more than one of the primary will result in the others being pushed down, so seeing how you start with your 4th or 3rd inclination, it doesn't matter if you take 2/2/3, the secondary will always have a higher value than the tertiary.

Though something like that will make the range of values not very big, resulting in more easily changing secondary inclinations.This is why I mentioned doing it 2/3/4/6 or 2/3/5/6 earlier in the thread, since this will give you a fairly large spread between your favourable inclinations and lock them down for a very long time.

I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. They keep telling me to go talk to the woman at the pier and go to that island, but the first pack of dogs two shot me.

...What? the quest markers should point you exactly to where should go. The pier is right in your starting town, but don't go there unless you've beaten the game first.

I assume you're talking about BBI? That island is for post game, you shouldn't be there if your lv is below 50.
Edit: :(

Durante

Yeah my computer issues when no other games freeze that I have crash and I have already had to do the windows 10 fix that Capcom never picked up on even though it happens in one of there other titles. Yeah my PC it must be that!
By definition, a game issue cannot make a modern PC with a modern OS freeze. It has to be either a hardware, driver or OS issue.

I'm not saying this to pick on you, just making a statement of fact.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Get in a clearing near the middle of it's flight path and jump around some to get its attention, or just go to Bluemoon Tower.

Alright gonna try Bluemoon. I haven't been back there since I beat the dragon, I didn't know a wyvern hung out there.

sixghost

Man, I wanted to be Guts, but Longsword in this game is absolutely horrible to play, at least at this stage.

I think I need to rethink my entire character and pawn.

How far are you? I played a 2H character back on the 360 and it was a ton of fun. Do you have some of the charge attack like Arc of Deliverance yet?
If I love ARPGs like Souls and Monster Hunter, getting this should be a no brainer, right?

As long as you don't expect the combat to control like a Souls game, then yes you would probably enjoy it.

JimPanzer

I'm confused as fuck by the post game. I just gathered 20 wakestones and started the quest w/o knowing what I was doing. Am I now fucked? I don't want to end the game. Haven't even visited BBI.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm confused as fuck by the post game. I just gathered 20 wakestones and started the quest w/o knowing what I was doing. Am I now fucked? I don't want to end the game. Haven't even visited BBI.

Yeah, that's the point of no return.

Though NG+ isn't harder or anything, so if you want to hit BBI it'll only take until you redo the Hydra fight IIRC.

Mideon

By definition, a game issue cannot make a modern PC with a modern OS freeze. It has to be either a hardware, driver or OS issue.

I'm not saying this to pick on you, just making a statement of fact.

OK just to explain fully I get a black screen and can see the task bar but the game will not quit and you cannot get anything on the screen as it's all black so you can't see the task manager to close the game. The PC is not frozen I have to do a hard reset to quit the game since it just displays a black screen.

JimPanzer

Yeah, that's the point of no return.

Though NG+ isn't harder or anything, so if you want to hit BBI it'll only take until you redo the Hydra fight IIRC.

damn, I've only spent two hours or so in the everfall, barely accquired any gear there and I'm only lvl 55 :/ not sure if that bodes well for BBI

TDLink

damn, I've only spent two hours or so in the everfall, barely accquired any gear there and I'm only lvl 55 :/ not sure if that bodes well for BBI

You keep your levels in NG+. So you can just "finish" the game, then NG+ up to the hydra and go to BBI.

Top Bottom