• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Momentary

Banned
I can't take anymore heart ache from this game. I get excited over a level 3 BBI armor and weapon drop... only to have it turn out to be mage gear. At least my pawn will be decked.

I'm thinking about just jumping into New Game+. I don't really want to do Hard Mode. I don't think I'm missing out on any items from not doing it right?

So, I've never done NG+ before.. Is it supposed to be this easy?
I'm still so early though, on the Quina quest. Should I ditch my pawns or something?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
NG+ doesn't add any difficulty.

I can't take anymore heart ache from this game. I get excited over a level 3 BBI armor and weapon drop... only to have it turn out to be mage gear. At least my pawn will be decked.
If you change both your and your pawn's vocation to the same "colour" (avoid hybrid vocations), you will get a weapon for that vocation. So instead of a staff you will purify a dagger or a bow if you are both yellow vocations, or a sword or mace or whatever if you are both red vocations.

jonjonaug

I'm thinking about just jumping into New Game+. I don't really want to do Hard Mode. I don't think I'm missing out on any items from not doing it right?

BBI gear will always be for either class "color" type that your Arisen and Pawn have.

If you want armor for a "red" class, for example (Fighter/Warrior), you'd switch both your Arisen and main pawn to Fighter or Warrior. Likewise if you wanted a "yellow" class (Strider/Ranger/Assassin), you'd switch botth Arisen and pawn to Strider or Ranger.

Level 3 items are the best in the game by a fair bit, but even on Hard mode there's nothing so difficult that you'll need more than level 2 gear.

Radnom

Anyone else had any problems with the cloud saving? The save file on my work PC is miles behind my home PC save. I guess it didn't sync correctly. I quit immediately after checking my quest list - I hope it doesn't overwrite my up to date home PC save.

Momentary

Banned
BBI gear will always be for either class "color" type that your Arisen and Pawn have.

If you want armor for a "red" class, for example (Fighter/Warrior), you'd switch both your Arisen and main pawn to Fighter or Warrior. Likewise if you wanted a "yellow" class (Strider/Ranger/Assassin), you'd switch botth Arisen and pawn to Strider or Ranger.

Level 3 items are the best in the game by a fair bit, but even on Hard mode there's nothing so difficult that you'll need more than level 2 gear.

NG+ doesn't add any difficulty.

If you change both your and your pawn's vocation to the same "colour" (avoid hybrid vocations), you will get a weapon for that vocation. So instead of a staff you will purify a dagger or a bow if you are both yellow vocations, or a sword or mace or whatever if you are both red vocations.

Damn I'm glad I haven't saved yet. Thanks guys. At least I hope it didn't autosave after purifying

Damn I'm glad I haven't saved yet. Thanks guys. At least I hope it didn't autosave after purifying

Best thing to do is take a nap and then switch through each class type to see what you get restarting from a a checkpoint each time.

Also they purify in sequential order depending on when you picked each item up. So if the first thing is a cool mage item, second is a bow you want or something, purify the first item as mages then switch to strider for the bow.

Well, damn. (Post duke meeting spoilers) ----->
I always look forward to getting Fornival thrown in jail, so I did the quest to get the gold idol before doing the gather evidence quest.. And did everything possible short of forgery to get a guilty verdict. And yet Fornival walks free. I know it's random chance, but it's supposed to be pretty slim in the first place... Oh well.

*sigh*

I wanted the opposite outcome due to the discounts and other meta stuff and I only gave evidence for him yet I got the opposite outcome as you. Sucks.

jonjonaug

Death you say? mmmm

does he always spawn before before the fallen city room?

Only on loop 1. On loop 2 he can be farmed in the first area (where he showed up in loop 1), but only if you get the version filled with Saurians (loop 2 of BBI has different enemy layouts for most rooms selected at random).

KarmaCow

How about monsters level?
Do they get bump in level, like in Witcher 3 for example?
So I take it that I'm supposed to play on hard for NG+ then.

The only thing that changes in NG+ is that quest/dungeon progress is reset, there is an easy warp to fight Ur-Dragon, a couple new Notice board quests, (end game spoilers)
the world is reset back to the pre-destroyed state and I think possibly you might fight your previous incarnation at the very end instead of the original Savan fight
. Other than that, everything is the same as you left it.

jonjonaug

The only thing that changes in NG+ is that quest/dungeon progress is reset, there is an easy warp to fight Ur-Dragon, a couple new Notice board quests, (end game spoilers)
the world is reset back to the pre-destoryed state and I think possibly you might fight your previous incarnation at the very end instead of the original Savan fight
. Other than that, everything is the same as you left it.

Regarding the spoiler:
If you're playing offline you face your previous incarnation. If you're playing online you face a random player (not controlled by them, just a copy of their loadout)

draetenth

This game loves to give xp. I've pretty much explored in a circle now, have 29 hours, and am level 38 or so, yet I still haven't even started the main quest that takes you underneath the pawn guild in Gran Soren...

ike_

Welp, you can't knock this game for hitboxes.

CimnW2p.gif

kinda OT but this just reinforces how silly it is when people say making Witcher combat take note from the Souls series will mean that the game plays like Souls. DD doesn't really play like Souls at all yet they both share excellent hitboxes for the most part and it's one of the many reasons why DD's combat is also better than TW3.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so NG+ does not change the difficulty. And you cant have multiple characters.

is my only way to play a mystic knight "from the start" deleting all my progress then? Let me explain, I know I can change to mystic knight at any time. But Iin rpgs I like to play my classes from the start and learn as I play, slowly getting the skills and whatnot

its why I never understood people that bought classes in wow max level for example.

but if I do that with my current lvl 71 or whatever she is, she will be quite OP for NG+. And I dont want to just change to mystic knight in BBI because like I said I like to slowly learn the class.

I fully understand this is a personal problem and im trying to insert other games mechanics into this one, im not saying thats not the case :/

Artdayne

kinda OT but this just reinforces how silly it is when people say making Witcher combat take note from the Souls series will mean that the game plays like Souls. DD doesn't really play like Souls at all yet they both share excellent hitboxes for the most part and it's one of the many reasons why DD's combat is also better than TW3.

DD's combat is also better than Souls.

theta11

CimnW2p.gif

I got trapped in an Eliminators instant kill move on a set of stairs and it missed be because I was one step below him. (He corrected this mistake by immediately putting me in the move again this time from the same step I was on. -_-)

jonjonaug

So how does everybody stock up on curatives? Especially healing?

I just buy them from the store in Gran Soren. They're not exactly expensive by the time you really need to stock up on them.

If you're still really early you can buy some from one of the stores in Cardassis too. Otherwise just pay attention while walking around.

So it seems I missed out on some Golden Idol. Knowing the right way to beat a quest seems impossible without a guide.

I can tell you the wrong way:
Don't try to grab her--you will instantly be thrown in jail, failing the quest.

Didn't even know what the reward was at that point. Only realised it waaay later.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
So it seems I missed out on some Golden Idol. Knowing the right way to beat a quest seems impossible without a guide.
Is there more to it besides just doing what she says really really quickly? I can't remember using a guide but got the gold idol both on console and here.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So how does everybody stock up on curatives? Especially healing?

Buy 50 (infinite) empty flasks.

Travel to a healing spring.

Stock up on spring water.

Distribute to all your pawns.

For some reason my pawns have usually hated using consumables unless they're on deaths door, but they spam the shit out of spring water, so get LOTS of it. They will use it to heal themselves, you, revive each other (at least I'm pretty sure I've seen pawns getting up without my help when we have it)

You could always return to last checkpoint for that quest. It'll take you back to the last time you slept at an inn.
It was a long time ago, so that ship has sailed. I was only curious and looked it up because I remembered people here saying to not get Fournival locked up and had no clue that it was all due to that one silly quest I didn't think about twice.

I can tell you the wrong way:
Don't try to grab her--you will instantly be thrown in jail, failing the quest.

Didn't even know what the reward was at that point. Only realised it waaay later.
Same here. But yeah, child-snatching is probably a no-no regardless.

Is there more to it besides just doing what she says really really quickly? I can't remember using a guide but got the gold idol both on console and here.
I honestly have no idea. I didn't know there was more than one way to do that quest, or that it was even an important one! What's crazy is that quite a few of the quests seem to have more than one potential outcome and I never would have guessed it.

Steel

Banned
It was a long time ago, so that ship has sailed. I was only curious and looked it up because I remembered people here saying to not get Fournival locked up and had no clue that it was all due to that one silly quest I didn't think about twice.

You can actually get that quest done before you get Fournival locked up. In either case, it's not really a big deal. Everything unlocked by the idol can be found.

Buy 50 (infinite) empty flasks.

Travel to a healing spring.

Stock up on spring water.

Distribute to all your pawns.

For some reason my pawns have usually hated using consumables unless they're on deaths door, but they spam the shit out of spring water, so get LOTS of it. They will use it to heal themselves, you, revive each other (at least I'm pretty sure I've seen pawns getting up without my help when we have it)

oh

my

god

I'm trying to five-star your post but I can't seem to find the rating bar...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Nah the pawns that get up are wearing a DLC staff that auto revives them.
Ah ok, it's shocking how often stuff happens in this game that I have no reasonable explanation for.

Two drakes in a room and other two after that in the fallen city

sInaBK0H3RYkg.gif
My man. Allow me to introduce you to the Mystic Knight vocation. People on the internet like to overuse the word "literally" quite often, but please take me very seriously when I tell you that a Mystic Knight with an Almace can literally kill a drake in less than 10 seconds.

Prismo

Neo Member
Hey, does anyone know if the person receives rift crystals from a pawn that has died and not been released? She got knocked off the top of the Shadow Fort and I couldn't be bothered saving her, but I used her for a good 10ish levels and now I kinda feel bad.

Steel

Banned
Hey, does anyone know if the person receives rift crystals from a pawn that has died and not been released? She got knocked off the top of the Shadow Fort and I couldn't be bothered saving her, but I used her for a good 10ish levels and now I kinda feel bad.

They'll get RC, but it'll default to a 3 star rating for everything.

silva1991

Ah ok, it's shocking how often stuff happens in this game that I have no reasonable explanation for.

My man. Allow me to introduce you to the Mystic Knight vocation. People on the internet like to overuse the word "literally" quite often, but please take me very seriously when I tell you that a Mystic Knight with an Almace can literally kill a drake in less than 10 seconds.

I actually mxed out MK, but I didn't have very strong weapons for it

tell me about that Almace strategy?

Also for good measure: eliminators and living armors. Everywhere. In packs.

Here's how to deal with it:

RUN

lol, why do I have a feeling that some bishops are lurking there as well?

LiQuid!

I actually mxed out MK, but I didn't have very strong weapons for it

tell me about that Almace strategy?

Almace is innate ice element. Drakes are weak to ice. Place a cannon/sigil combo under a drake's chest and it's pretty much insta-kill.

Top Bottom