• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

The body disappears as soon as it is thrown. How do you just drop it?

Let go of the grab button.

In one of the quests I had to drag a dead body around, it only dissolved after the quest. It took a good two minutes to get it where it needed to be via kicks. I dunno how long that one takes, but it shouldn't be dissolving early.

Ugh. Doing the two Gorecyclops fight which is easy. But nooooo, one of the pawns I rented decided to run to the other side of the room and start attacking the chained motionless one for NO FUCKING REASON!!

Let go of the grab button.

In one of the quests I had to drag a dead body around, it only dissolved after the quest. It took a good two minutes to get it where it needed to be via kicks. I dunno how long that one takes, but it shouldn't be dissolving early.

I was having trouble picking up corpses before, I always ended up holding them like I was wrestling them. If you tap the grab button quickly instead of pressing or holding it you will put the corpse on your shoulder and be able run and jump with it.

Ugh. Doing the two Gorecyclops fight which is easy. But nooooo, one of the pawns I rented decided to run to the other side of the room and start attacking the chained motionless one for NO FUCKING REASON!!

Paaaaathhhfiiinnnddddeeerrrrr, hiiiiyyyyooooo!!!!!!

After suffering a Guardian-inclination mage that did almost nothing, I've really begun watching inclinations before recruiting.
I was having trouble picking up corpses before, I always ended up holding them like I was wrestling them. If you tap the grab button quickly instead of pressing or holding it you will put the corpse on your shoulder and be able run and jump with it.

Whaaat!? I assumed I couldn't due to weight limits, since my char is tiny.

This is a good tip; thanks!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My pawn has been getting a lot of work lately which is nice, but a lot of them are coming back 3-star, no comment/gift, which leads me to believe people are getting it killed a lot. :(

Just started ng+. Guess I have to wait to I get to Gran Soren to switch back to Magick Archer?

If you go to the DLC island, the lady there can do a vocation change for you earlier.

But that's how the system is designed to work. Minions give you a higher percentage of DCP, bosses give you XP.

Like if there was a boss survival mode, you'd be fighting for hours just to get one vocation rank, it's by design.

I understand that, and for the base game it is indeed a fair (and good) system. Thing is, once one hits post-dragon, the favoured method is "get 3 pawns with miasma, equip +dcp stuff, climb a wall and then literally afk as your pawns kill guards", which is just.... eh.

After suffering a Guardian-inclination mage that did almost nothing, I've really begun watching inclinations before recruiting.
Ain't nothing as annoying as browsing pawns until you find the perfect skill combination, selecting 5 pawns, waiting for summon, visually gear checking, then... Guardian/Nexus/Acquisitor smh

KarmaCow

Am I supposed to be able to reasonably kill the the bosses in BBI when I first enter (coming off a character that beat the game), or rather do bosses like the giant cyclops and Death have gimmicks to damage them like the floating eye boss? I can possibly whittle away at the giant cyclops but it would take hours at that pace and I can't even make a dent in Death.

draetenth

Ain't nothing as annoying as browsing pawns until you find the perfect skill combination, selecting 5 pawns, waiting for summon, visually gear checking, then... Guardian/Nexus/Acquisitor smh

Definitely, bonus points if they are a cutesy female wearing the pink princess gown.

void666

Banned
I just found out that if you give empty bottles to pawns they will fill it with spring water. No need to do it yourself. Mindblown.

Momentary

Banned
Going to BBI with a sackful of double xp items kinda breaks the game outside of BBI. But BBI itself is still hard for me even well into my hundreds. Mainly because Death likes to come at the end of boss fights for some damn reason. I feel like I've had him show up in the next area after I used everything to kill him in the area before. Then I have to zone out because I don't want to get wrecked.

Magick Archer isn't as fun as I thought it'd be. Having to recast every bow skill is annoying. Thought it'd be like a regular bow where after you only need to ready a skill the first time.

I really need to go to NG+ and keep that Wyrmking Ring

Momentary

Banned
I've gone back to look at some Dark Souls III combat videos, and it's kind of depressing. The moves for Greatswords in this game just make DSIII seem kind of lacking. Needless to say the animation in DSIII is far superior. Also, I can't get over all the Witcher 2 rolling around going on in the combat. Couldn't they have implemented other evasive maneuvers. Looks so clownish. I'm still hyped for it though.

I went to give Madeleine the Silver Idol, but instead I
triggered and completed the quest, Bad Business. Where can I find her to give the idol now, or is she AWOL for the rest of the game
?

Kevyt

Chimera cubs aren't so bad

tumblr_mcurhtRVdv1qig2hto1_500.jpg

they are cute <3

That's so adorable! <3

I also just found out that you can knock off chunks of ore out of the wall instead of mining with a pickaxe. And I just found this out even after playing through on PS3 and 360 multiple times @_@

Not sure if only Warriors can do that, though.

Okay so what the hell is going on story-wise. Maybe about a third of the way through, after meeting the duke and currently on a quest with Mercedes
why would Julien betray the Duke? Gransys succumbing to the dragon serves what exactly? What was he calling Mercedes - a she god?

Magick Archer isn't as fun as I thought it'd be. Having to recast every bow skill is annoying. Thought it'd be like a regular bow where after you only need to ready a skill the first time.

I really need to go to NG+ and keep that Wyrmking Ring
You'll learn to love it once you get Immolation. Nothing more fun than climbing a monster to burn and stab the shit out of it at the same time. :)
And yeah Articulacy and Wormking's ring are pretty handy for MA.

Steel

Banned
Okay so what the hell is going on story-wise. Maybe about a third of the way through, after meeting the duke and currently on a quest with Mercedes
why would Julien betray the Duke? Gransys succumbing to the dragon serves what exactly? What was he calling Mercedes - a she god?

Story is nonsense, wouldn't worry about it. It gets interesting toward the end. That being said, to answer your questions:
Julien basically wants his country to be able to take Gransys over, so it getting wrecked by the Dragon would serve that. Then other countries would be able to rally around and kill the Dragon. Or something like that. I believe he called Mercedes a she-goat.

That aside, I do find it kind of amazing how right near the end the dialogue actually becomes decent after being complete and utter trash to that point.

Story is nonsense, wouldn't worry about it. It gets interesting toward the end. That being said, to answer your questions:
Julien basically wants his country to be able to take Gransys over, so it getting wrecked by the Dragon would serve that. Then other countries would be able to rally around and kill the Dragon. Or something like that. I believe he called Mercedes a she-goat.

That aside, I do find it kind of amazing how right near the end the dialogue actually becomes decent after being complete and utter trash to that point.

yeah my friend who played it during console launch really enjoyed the end game story, he spoiled a bit for me but luckily i've forgotten most of it

and on the topic of MA: yeah I didn't find the bow fun to use at all really outside of magickal glare but the dagger skills were better than the strider imo. Rolled with Hundred Kisses, Sunbeam and Shadowshackle or whatever and it was great. Shadowshackle is a much better CC option than dazzle whatever.

Golnei

A lot of that is just due to Grigori, he's one of the few characters with any presence. It really is a shame the mechanics of the romance system prevent him from being a viable option.

Though the abandoned pawns were okay as well - for all its faults as a dungeon,
the Everfall
had some pretty good atmosphere; and
the ruined Gran Soren
was actually sort of interesting as a setting, as opposed to its dull early-game incarnation.

A lot of that is just due to Grigori, he's one of the few characters with any presence. It really is a shame the mechanics of the romance system prevent him from being a viable option.

the Everfall
the ruined Gran Soren
was actually sort of interesting as a setting, as opposed to its dull early-game incarnation.

In that vein, I wonder how Capcom originally planned the affinity system. There must have been more to it at one point, because the current system is a bit of a mess that players will see coming from a mile away... even if they don't understand it.

Golnei

In that vein, I wonder how Capcom originally planned the affinity system. There must have been more to it at one point, because the current system is a bit of a mess that players will see coming from a mile away... even if they don't understand it.

It's possible it was one of the things severely scaled back from the initial concept - I could imagine that they originally planned several fleshed-out love interests with proper arcs in the vein of Aelinore, but after it became apparent that they'd be unable to do that in any depth for more than a handful of characters, they decided to add a shallower version of the system which could be applied to (nearly) anyone, rather than only limiting it to two or three characters or making it a fixed choice. I assume they didn't disqualify characters based on gender or age for the comedy aspect, as they must have realised their final system didn't exactly make for compelling drama.

It might be one of the aspects I'm most interested in seeing excised or fleshed-out in a future game, just so I can get a better idea of where they actually wanted to go with it.

So I finally realised that aught does indeed mean something rather than anything.

My ken is lacking.

It can be used for 'nothing' as well, so the times it's used in that context aren't technically incorrect. Still, they did go slightly overboard with it...

Steel

Banned
And we all know the best defense is a good offense. It's why I kill bandits before they can attack me! Ahahahahaha~

Just snipe em with Lycean Sight as an Assassin.

the Everfall
the ruined Gran Soren

Yeah, it is mostly grigori, but the story beats in the endgame are actually pretty interesting as well.

Honestly, it feels like they hired a writer just for Grigori's lines and no one elses. It helps he doesn't say Aught ever.

Tbh, I have no idea what aught means.

And we all know the best defense is a good offense. It's why I kill bandits before they can attack me! Ahahahahaha~

Killing bandits is the easiest with a sword and shield, especially the rogues, archers and mages. Just spam burst strike and kill them with normal combo, rinse and repeat.

I ended up switching back to normal post-Grigori. Hard just makes certain classes (read: Warrior) a chore to play.

Not sure what if the item I got for beating Grigori on hard is any good though.

Momentary

Banned
Whelp... after over 105 hours of gameplay I just learned that HOLDING heavy attack causes it to do an added attack. I was wondering what the hell these abilities that said they added extra moves to heavy attacks meant.

I know you have to do a slight pause with light attack to do a different series of attacks.

Is there anything else I should know?

Man, Ranger longbows are a huge step up from normal bows. Nearly every non-huge enemy staffers from a normal shot. You can just feel the power when you draw the bow. So good.

Top Bottom