• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Sober

Just running around with Rook (preset pawn?) and my own created pawn right now. Kinda just going back and forth the encampment for quests. The well quest is really hard? Feels like I'm fighting waves of lizards or whatever and barely doing any damage and they don't stop spawning.

Is there a way to know what is the main story quest or whatever? It seems really sparse. I kinda just stumbled into fighting the hydra for instance.

Unicorn

So... should I do "Lost and Found" immediately after the Hydra? I seem to recal this quest is a bitch, but is it also timed?
Wasn't hard. I ended up doing it twice due to hitting reload last checkpoint.

Fuck the saving in this game. It's an RPG let me have different saves for different builds. Let me save scum, let me at least see the save file structure and choose which save to load.

Parsnip

I too am getting extremely low audio,
Bumping up the channels from windows' audio cp to 5.1 fixes the volume but causes other sound issues. I'll just have to boost the volume from the mixer for now.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Question for DragonGAF, anyone else getting an odd lighting effect, halo-like light circle around your Arisen at night? Example below:

Anyone know a fix by chance? This is with a 3770K@4ghz+GTX 980 with the newest Nvidia drivers:I have tried it on a Dell U2713HM and a Sony TV, both the same so it's not my monitor: any help appreciated! :)

I haven't played around with ENBs for this game yet, but going from Skyrim experience, did you turn off the game's own Depth of Field and AF?

Other than that, try turning off some other settings one by one to see which one is conflicting with the preset.

yep to no avail

Skilletor

Guys try and delete the config.ini file located @ C:UsersyournameAppDataLocalCAPCOMDRAGONS DOGMA DARK ARISEN

Either delete it and launch the game (should work fine) or open and turn vsync from ON to OFF

That should work. Hopefully you both see it before you re-install!

That got it to boot up again, but as soon as I change any options, it crashes and gives me the error again.

recursive

Question for DragonGAF, anyone else getting an odd lighting effect, halo-like light circle around your Arisen at night? Example below:

Anyone know a fix by chance? This is with a 3770K@4ghz+GTX 980 with the newest Nvidia drivers:I have tried it on a Dell U2713HM and a Sony TV, both the same so it's not my monitor: any help appreciated! :)

Turn the in game brightness down.

Twentieth

Having a tough time playing Ranger, especially against bigger monsters. Knowing the weakness of monsters helps a ton, but I'm still using dozens of mushrooms and greenwarishes during every battle.

Quick story: One of my pawns kept using the lightning buff (Thunder Boon) while I was fighting a (monster resistance spoiler)
Griffin
and it took me a while to realize he was screwing up the entire party.

Really liking the ENB someone posted a page back:
15BUF8s.jpg

W7J5JiB.jpg

o4wQ3y6.jpg

Edit: Time to finally go hand in that hydra quest, lol!

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Turn the in game brightness down.

Thanks for the tip, but tried that all the way down to 4-5 (from Default 10 midway point): it's still clearly visible. Will try toying with the settings, haven't seen it in any footage so it can't be by design surely.. quite odd.

Edit: Turning HDR to low seems to have fixed it - not sure why, but all good!

red36

Neo Member
Hey anyone know for hard mode if you also gain vocational points faster(discipline) or is it only exp and gold?

Steel

Banned
Having a tough time playing Ranger, especially against bigger monsters. Knowing the weakness of monsters helps a ton, but I'm still using dozens of mushrooms and greenwarishes during every battle.

Quick story: One of my pawns kept using the lightning buff (Thunder Boon) while I was fighting a (monster resistance spoiler)
Griffin
and it took me a while to realize he was screwing up the entire party.

Yeah....... Pawns learn more about enemies as they fight, so sooner or later that pawn will learn the weakness and act accordingly... but until then it's random.

On a side note, it's worth noting the vast majority of early-mid game enemies are weak to fire. So if you have a mage pawn, Fire Affinity is highly suggested. 2nd best choice is ice, with third as holy.

justjim89

So... should the Witchwood quest just be put off til later? The bandits on the road there, especially the sword and shield ones, are wrecking my whole crew. The fighters can one shot my whole group. I'm a level 8 rogue, with two mages and a fighter. Did the well quest without too much trouble, should I just follow the main quest for a while? The Witchwood quest sounded urgent, what with the protagonist's ladyfriend gone that way, but should I put it off til later?

Also, the combat against regular dudes and smaller enemies seems kinda lame? At least as a rogue. No means of defense, it's either run in with daggers or hang back with the bow and nothing really in between.

When I assign special skills do they just replace the X and Y attacks?

So... should the Witchwood quest just be put off til later? The bandits on the road there, especially the sword and shield ones, are wrecking my whole crew. The fighters can one shot my whole group. I'm a level 8 rogue, with two mages and a fighter. Did the well quest without too much trouble, should I just follow the main quest for a while? The Witchwood quest sounded urgent, what with the protagonist's ladyfriend gone that way, but should I put it off til later?

Also, the combat against regular dudes and smaller enemies seems kinda lame? At least as a rogue. No means of defense, it's either run in with daggers or hang back with the bow and nothing really in between.

It's timed. Edit: You should do it before going to Gran Soren. A quest there prevents you from completing this one.

justjim89

It's timed. Edit: You should do it before going to Gran Soren. A quest there prevents you from completing this one.

Oh, thanks for saying as much. I wish the game would say it's timed.

Any tips for the bandits? Killing the shield ones seems impossible. And the combat just feels so simplistic, like I'm missing something.

Steel

Banned

Any tips for the bandits? Killing the shield ones seems impossible. And the combat just feels so simplistic, like I'm missing something.

When you feel outclassed, run. You don't need to fight those bandits, you can run past them. The area for the quest itself is actually a decent bit easier than those bandits. The combat opens up as you get more skills.

Wait, what?

No. Hold down R1 or l1(for shield/bow/magic), X Y and B have separate functions there.

LegendX48

You need more skills is all. Keep ranking up your vocation and buy and set more skills/abilities and then it'll really start to shine.

edit: Don't forget to do the same for your pawn!

Steel

Banned
You need more skills is all. Keep ranking up your vocation and buy and set more skills/abilities and then it'll really start to shine.

edit: Don't forget to do the same for your pawn!

He actually didn't know how to use skills by his previous post.

I always fight those bandits at low levels and the easy way I do it is by remembering that the game actually has really good hit box and hurt boxes. I just kinda jump around to dodge the relatively simple attacks and whittle them down.

It's pretty good exp early on, especially on hard mode.

Hard mode is stupid and Reynard is stupid.

Nah bruh, you do hardmode on your newgame+.
Starting a new game with a new character on hard is suicide. You gotta be really, REALLY good to play that shit with a new character.

On new game plus, you keep all that gear you got from your last game, as long as its in your bank. so on normal newgame+, youll steam roll everything with your character using end game gear. But on hard......that's a different story.

And if you find the game hard on hard mode..............OOHHHH BOI, just WAIT till you get to bitter black island on hard, which is the end game, dlc area...........that place is a fucking nightmare.

Think diablo one, how the lower you go, the harder and chaotic shit gets.

epmode

Wow, the sound mix is wayyyyyyy too low. I only have stereo speakers so I can't do any of those other suggestions without screwing up the audio.

KingKong

Was I supposed to get a bunch of armors for changing my vocation to assassin? It feels like some kind of dlc but I cant complain

Also got a jesters cap but cant wear it with armor :(

Steel

Banned
I always fight those bandits at low levels and the easy way I do it is by remembering that the game actually has really good hit box and hurt boxes. I just kinda jump around to dodge the relatively simple attacks and whittle them down.

It's pretty good exp early on, especially on hard mode.

You're right, of course, but if he's having trouble with them he can run past them and it is true that the area beyond them is easier.

Was I supposed to get a bunch of armors for changing my vocation to assassin? It feels like some kind of dlc but I cant complain

Also got a jesters cap but cant wear it with armor :(

You've had them in storage the whole time, nothing to do with changing to Assassin. You also have an eternal ferrystone fast travel item in storage that you should pick up.

Mudo

Welp - I've been trying to get this game to work for 2 hours and have searched online and not really found people having big issues but I'm having a mess of a time. Here is what I have:

GTX 970 SLI
Core i7-3960x CPU
16G ram

I'm able to run most games fine and I just checked Just Cause 3 to make sure something wasn't up with my video card/CPU and it was perfect. Here is what's happening:

1. Title screen with dragon - the entire background is washed out like crushed black looking and the light that comes over the horizon is some horrid flat looking dull thing. I checked monitor settings and everything outside this game is fine.
2. Settings - 60fps lock, full screen, no overlays on, turned HDR down 1 notch as well as distance scaling (?), vsync on.
3. In game it stutters every several seconds and frames drop to 30-40. When I try to attack it goes in some stuttering slow motion and almost freezes. The lighting looks off unless it's intended. Those lamps in the first scene were just flat looking dull orange circles. The entire thing is a steaming pile and i have no idea what to do.

I uninstalled the game, reinstalled and verified files. Turned background processes off. temps on CPU and GPU are fine. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts as to what in the hell is going on here???

You're right, of course, but if he's having trouble with them he can run past them and it is true that the area beyond them is easier.

Oh no, I agree that you should never be afraid to run. Just giving a pointer in regards to the combat. There's not much in the way of enemy attacks that tracks. So you can actually just dodge manually by jumping, which might not be readily apparent to a lot of new players.

Do I get penalized for using pawns higher level than me?

No you dont, but iy cost more rift crystals the higher level you go. If you get a pawn thats at, or lower than your level, the pawn will be free. but say if your level ten and want a pawn thats like level 50, its probably gonna cost like 2,000,000 rift crystals or something like that.

Lets just say........some players wont get any where near 2,000,000 crystals in their play through playing casually.

but on the flip side, if your level 50, and some level ten guy does have that many crystals and pays for your pawn, you get those crystals, not all 2,000,000 of them, but a big ass chunk of that though.

Id be on the 360, stop playing for months, then sign back in one day, and have like over 3 million crystals waiting for me from all the month of people using my pawn while I was out. My pawn was once in the top pawns for a while, she was one bad ass mage with the crazy rare items she had.

Unicorn

Oh no, I agree that you should never be afraid to run. Just giving a pointer in regards to the combat. There's not much in the way of enemy attacks that tracks. So you can actually just dodge manually by jumping, which might not be readily apparent to a lot of new players.
It is odd there's no roll or dodge for strider

Pawn chatter hasn't bothered me yet but "they're masterworks, all" is fucking terrrrrrrible

It's not even that he says it when you first talk to him, it's every time you go back to the base selection screen...

Welp - I've been trying to get this game to work for 2 hours and have searched online and not really found people having big issues but I'm having a mess of a time. Here is what I have:

GTX 970 SLI
Core i7-3960x CPU
16G ram

I'm able to run most games fine and I just checked Just Cause 3 to make sure something wasn't up with my video card/CPU and it was perfect. Here is what's happening:

1. Title screen with dragon - the entire background is washed out like crushed black looking and the light that comes over the horizon is some horrid flat looking dull thing. I checked monitor settings and everything outside this game is fine.
2. Settings - 60fps lock, full screen, no overlays on, turned HDR down 1 notch as well as distance scaling (?), vsync on.
3. In game it stutters every several seconds and frames drop to 30-40. When I try to attack it goes in some stuttering slow motion and almost freezes. The lighting looks off unless it's intended. Those lamps in the first scene were just flat looking dull orange circles. The entire thing is a steaming pile and i have no idea what to do.

I uninstalled the game, reinstalled and verified files. Turned background processes off. temps on CPU and GPU are fine. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts as to what in the hell is going on here???

From what i've heard, this game doesnt support SLI. A few pages back, I was reading some post about this. That might be your problem.

Top Bottom