• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have a feeling just as many people will dislike the game this time around as the first time, just from a lot of the reactions im seeing (which are pretty much the same complaints I read years ago).

Hell for all the popularity the Souls games got over the years, I would still consider them niche

I am playing on my laptop so it doesn't look nice at all, but this is my Arisen:

7EEE5A14A6F26EA587A39ECE8B99E82F4E9A59A3
and my pawn:

and apparently I'm pretty bad at taking screenshots too

Alright, I did a bunch of random quests and died about a thousand times being one shotted by almost any enemy, including bats.
(Truly this is hard mode)

But my pawns take care of business well enough if I stand back and shoot arrows which barely do any damage. I hope that at level 11 or so, I'm high enough to take a couple hits from a trash mob.

Still not sure if hard mode is a good choice. Sounds kind of broken and unpleasant instead of just challenging. I need more input.. Should I just revert to normal? How do you reeaally feel?

Rootbeer

Banned
I am playing on my laptop so it doesn't look nice at all, but this is my Arisen:

and my pawn:

and apparently I'm pretty bad at taking screenshots too

I basically created Gon and Killua as my main & pawn. One of the few games that lets you create shounen aged characters :p

Alright, I did a bunch of random quests and died about a thousand times being one shotted by almost any enemy, including bats.
(Truly this is hard mode)

But my pawns take care of business well enough if I stand back and shoot arrows which barely do any damage. I hope that at level 11 or so, I'm high enough to take a couple hits from a trash mob.

Still not sure if hard mode is a good choice. Sounds kind of broken and unpleasant instead of just challenging. I need more input.. Should I just revert to normal? How do you reeaally feel?

Yo, abandon hard mode asap.

It's for newgame+, where you'll have all the gear from your previous play through.

Hard mode is for those that wanna play through the game again with their end game gear because playing on normal with end game gear, you'll steam roll everything.

In the console version, You can't even play hard mode until you beat the game. It isn't meant to be the difficulty you start the game with.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
OK, I'm happy to play DD again, but WOW did I forget how talkative the pawns can be lol. Good thing I turned off their subtitles.

I like it but I totally understand why people would hate it lol. Good on them for adding the option

Also, real talk, I dont even know how people are using hard mode. Mine only has easy and normal? Not that I would want to, im liking normal and thats what I usually play games on (the Souls games for example, I love them in spite of the difficulty, not because of it) but the more I hear about it the more it bothers me I didnt see a option for it lol

Steel

Banned
OK, I'm happy to play DD again, but WOW did I forget how talkative the pawns can be lol. Good thing I turned off their subtitles.

You can turn off pawn speech altogether in the in-game settings.

In the console version, You can't even play hard mode until you beat the game. It isn't meant to be the difficulty you start the game with.

This isn't true. Hard mode was added in after OG DD release, but it was in Dark Arisen from the start and you could play it from the start.

Shengar

how many friends do you have with the game installed?

I have 300+ and I'm only seeing like maybe a dozen or two. Not sure if it means a grand portion simply haven't created their pawns yet or if there's a possible issue with the game if your friend lists are too big

Restarting Steam seems to do the trick, though the IDs I'm searching for is not show up sadly. I do some experiment by changing download server but there's no effect to that thankfully.

I'm having a very difficult time getting a rock solid 60FPS in this game. Just outside of Gran Soren right now at I am at ~30FPS at 1440p with a GTX 970 with all settings maxed. Changing the resolution doesn't really seem to impact performance all that much. Has anyone else experienced drops in FPS like this? What settings are you guys using to get 60FPS rock solid?

Here are my specs:

CPU: i7 860
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16Gb DDR3
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

So.. When do the good weapons and armors come out? I'm. still sporting the first village set.

There's two venders in that same town where you can buy new gear. That includes consumables, crafting mats, weapons, armor, ect. Finding them in the world is pretty rare. They don't drop from enemies often like other games. You'll have better luck getting a weapon or armor from a hidden chest than from an enemy. Most of your gear is gonna come from venders.

i find it charming how much they talk now. If someone is playing for the first time though please don't turn off chatter, you're taking away an experience from the game.

So.. When do the good weapons and armors come out? I'm. still sporting the first village set.

?? You find better equipment as early as the first place you travel to, and better stuff period in gran soren if you really didn't feel like buying anything in the first place.

Any one able to search pawn from their friend list?

I'm only getting a few friend pawns listed, and I maxed out my friends list.

I just learned that pawns are only sent out for recruitment once you rest at an inn, which I imagine is hanging a lot of people up. For instance, I've only rested at an inn twice in 7 hours.

In other news, now Irval can truly be yours!
(Stock photo. Not pictured: his good armour)

I just learned that pawns are only sent out for recruitment once you rest at an inn, which I imagine is hanging a lot of people up. For instance, I've only rested at an inn twice in 7 hours.

In other news, now Irval can truly be yours!
(Stock photo. Not pictured: his good armour)

if that's the case then that's downright silly. I mean resting at inn cause 500 in gran soren, which is essentially where you'll do it the most so I wouldn't recommend doing it willy nilly.

They should have let you update your pawn each time you go into the search area. Well at least now I know.

I'm curious if servers also come into play, as I have people from GAF from all around the world I hope it isn't like blocking off europe people.

Deadstar

So are there no issues copying over a save game from ps3 to pc? I put in 40+ hours and don't want to redo what I've done and will be testing the save tool tomorrow.

I'm having a very difficult time getting a rock solid 60FPS in this game. Just outside of Gran Soren right now at I am at ~30FPS at 1440p with a GTX 970 with all settings maxed. Changing the resolution doesn't really seem to impact performance all that much. Has anyone else experienced drops in FPS like this? What settings are you guys using to get 60FPS rock solid?

Here are my specs:

CPU: i7 860
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16Gb DDR3
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

That's really weird. I've got an i5 4690k and a GTX 970, and all maxed out at 4k I get a completely solid 60FPS.

Are you maybe forcing AA through Nvidia control panel or something? Other than that I really have no idea what might be causing such a huge difference in performance.

if that's the case then that's downright silly. I mean resting at inn cause 500 in gran soren, which is essentially where you'll do it the most so I wouldn't recommend doing it willy nilly.

They should have let you update your pawn each time you go into the search area. Well at least now I know.

I'm curious if servers also come into play, as I have people from GAF from all around the world I hope it isn't like blocking off europe people.

Resting updates your pawn on the server, so no it's not silly.
It's how you are able to get items from other people.

Corpekata

Banned
Only 3 people on my massive friend list have pawns searchable for me, so either nobody is resting at inns or there's something off.

I like it but I totally understand why people would hate it lol. Good on them for adding the option

The problem kinda stems from them repeating their lines a little too much, but it's nice to have a walking peanut gallery.

You can turn off pawn speech altogether in the in-game settings..

Really? I can't believe I missed that.

i find it charming how much they talk now. If someone is playing for the first time though please don't turn off chatter, you're taking away an experience from the game.

I agree, first time players need to experience the pawns chatter, but maybe with the subs off so they don't clutter the screen.

Yep, this is something very important new players should know. Frequently rest at inns even if you don't need to, every time you do it updates your pawn on the servers.

Sarcasm

That's really weird. I've got an i5 4690k and a GTX 970, and all maxed out at 4k I get a completely solid 60FPS.

Are you maybe forcing AA through Nvidia control panel or something? Other than that I really have no idea what might be causing such a huge difference in performance.

I have i7 3770k and GTX 670. 1080 with 60 fps. Hbao via gedosato.

I don't know how to get the game to downsample using gedosato but don't want to use dsr. I life gedosato method more in previous games I used it with.

I double checked the nVidia control panel for both global and application specific settings and found no custom AA implemented. Just to be safe I clicked the restore default settings button. I ran the game again and found no difference in performance. Changing resolution doesn't seem to affect FPS, but it does seem to increase GPU load. Going from around ~30-40% at 1440p DSR to 70-80% at 4k DSR.

EDIT: To be sure I also tried The Witcher 3 and found it running exactly as it always has. The low FPS problem seems to be specific to this game. I just don't understand what could be causing the problem.

I have about 100 DDDA buddies and about a quarter or so have active pawns.
The problem kinda stems from them repeating their lines a little too much, but it's nice to have a walking peanut gallery.
If by a little too much you mean constantly, then I agree. But I get a kick out of my prime pawn's deep voice so it all works out.

Seriously, having one oddly voiced pawn breaks up the monotony a great deal.

Resting updates your pawn on the server, so no it's not silly.
It's how you are able to get items from other people.

I'm saying it's silly that they tied resting at the inn with updating your pawn when there's a system in the game itself that requires you to get online and search for pawns. They should've simply adde an "update your pawn" option in the place you search for pawns. More people will go to that often than rest at an inn.

Only 3 people on my massive friend list have pawns searchable for me, so either nobody is resting at inns or there's something off.

I feel something else is coming into play because I have 300+ and I'm only getting maybe 20-30 at most.

Shadownet

Banned

How the heck are you running it at 4K maxed out with an the same setup I have. Lol *dark magic*

I'm still at 1080p 60fps

Yep, this is something very important new players should know. Frequently rest at inns even if you don't need to, every time you do it updates your pawn on the servers.

Not only that, but if another player paid rift crystals to use your character, and gives your pawn any items, after youve rested at an in, you get all of that.

I'm saying it's silly that they tied resting at the inn with updating your pawn when there's a system in the game itself that requires you to get online and search for pawns. They should've simply adde an "update your pawn" option in the place you search for pawns. More people will go to that often than rest at an inn.

I feel something else is coming into play because I have 300+ and I'm only getting maybe 20-30 at most.
It's probably tied to the save system to prevent people from doing weird shit with items.

edit: wait, does the game save the same way as it does at the inn when u enter the rift? I can't remember, I think it does though...so then idk.

The prime pawn server update takes a good 10 seconds. I'd rather it be on inn rest vs. during pawn shopping. The latter would be unbearable for how frequent it is.

Indignate

Definitely skip out on hard if it's your first time through. Playing on normal gives you way more freedom to mess with the combat and just climb on top of shit without worrying about being one shotted.

Rhaknar

How important is DCP? Do I need to conserve or is it okay to buy every skill I see/want?

Level wise you get to the 80s-100s by the time you finish it, Souls style, so youre probably good. Ive been buying what I want and I cant afford everything but what I cant right now ive been able to get soon after when I got a couple of levels

Definitely skip out on hard if it's your first time through. Playing on normal gives you way more freedom to mess with the combat and just climb on top of shit without worrying about being one shotted.

You playing this dawg? I havent ran into any black haired, black lips and mascara pawn called Eternal Soul Tears of Misery yet :/

How important is DCP? Do I need to conserve or is it okay to buy every skill I see/want?

More skills are revealed as you rank up, so if you don't want the skill just ignore it. Dunno how class changes work, though.

And pro tip, since I completely missed this at first: core skills are always active AND take no slots (unlike augments).

Ummm... k.

I thought the same thing. I was then worried when a dragon was talking to me later it sounded like Italian... not sure if that's supposed to be like that or not. I did google the intro though and it seems the console version has an English subtitle for that specific quote.

Indignate

I thought the same thing. I was then worried when a dragon was talking to me later it sounded like Italian... not sure if that's supposed to be like that or not. I did google the intro though and it seems the console version has an English subtitle for that specific quote.

The dragon speaks latin.

I think it's the only case in the game where that happens.

Top Bottom