• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Steel

Banned
(Totally an endgame spoiler, perhaps even THE endgame spoiler, do not click unless you're in the know:)
You know, Grigori, God's chosen messenger and the chooser of his successor. He is, essentially, an angel, much like his name would suggest.

Oh! I never would've thought to use darkness there. Huh. Makes sense, though.

First time I played this I was a strider and had a blast. Started a mage on pc version and not sure I'm feeling it early on. Is this a case of starting out weak and destroying later on?

Overside

Banned
First time I played this I was a strider and had a blast. Started a mage on pc version and not sure I'm feeling it early on. Is this a case of starting out weak and destroying later on?

The spell effects are awesome, and you definitely wreck shit... But you probably won't get the satisfaction of the kind of high level engagement you get with strider/ranger.

Get a sorcerer pawn instead :D

yup.

But mage is more of a support class than actual damage dealer though. So if thats not something you wanna do a lot, then you may not find the class all that great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Guess i have to start buying those ice and holy enchants for my pawn, and also the ice spells then

The spell effects are awesome, and you definitely wreck shit... But you probably won't get the satisfaction of the kind of high level engagement you get with strider/ranger.

Get a sorcerer pawn instead :D

yup.

But mage is more of a support class than actual damage dealer though. So if thats not something you wanna do a lot, then you may not find the class all that great.

Thanks folks. Can I switch at a certain point? Or need to start over?

Momentary

Banned
Was nervous buying some 70K talismans (don't recall the name) for more XP and gold, but damn was it worth it. Seems almost like cheating.

Which preset?
Open the SweetFX_settings.txt file on the sweetfx folder, and check if it actually contains the settings. One of the presets just give you another download link for the actual preset inside that file. I came across one, in fact.

Thanks.

Also, do I have to turn off any of the graphics settings in-game like FXAA and HDR to make SweetFX work properly?

Windtrick

Do you guys leave the native DoF on? I'm playing with it on so far but can't really decide since sometimes it looks nice and sometimes I have trouble making out things.

CaLe

Any way to prevent the mouse cursor from leaving the screen with GeDoSaTo ? I'm downsampling and it makes the game unplayable.

Thanks

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I wish this game had some sort of level indicator for missions. I hate taking a mission and not knowing its level is way too hard.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I picked Magic Archer because I wanted crazy archery spells.

Most encounters I just cut dudes up with my daggers.

I hope the archer spells get crazier later on because I'm not that hot on em yet! All the archery spells feel too weak.

Sectus

I guess I'll try to get around behindbehind them. I'm a strider by the way and I appreciate the help!

It just feels so damn awkward and frustrating that I can clear out 8 bandits but two guys with swords just murder me and my whole party. I guess what I'm getting at is that it feels odd that not all of the bandits are this hard in their party.

Are there more groups of mobs like this where some are really easy to take down but a single mob or two can easily cut you down?

I think Capcom put those enemies there to encourage the player to try something different, and become aware you can easily go the wrong way to encounter enemies which are above your level. I think the easiest way to get past them is to go there during night time. Then you'll fight wolves instead of bandits, and they're much easier to handle.

I think Capcom put those enemies there to encourage the player to try something different, and become aware you can easily go the wrong way to encounter enemies which are above your level. I think the easiest way to get past them is to go there during night time. Then you'll fight wolves instead of bandits, and they're much easier to handle.

I'd believe it. The game is constantly reminding you that it's TOTALLY OK to flee from battle, from tutorials and loading screen hints to pawn banter.

Giving the game that kind of oppressive freedom lets them do some cool stuff. Like surprise dragons!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Golems are so obnoxious to fight as a mage.

Momentary

Banned
Okay, I just found the black cat after playing for all these hours... Is there a reason why the cool looking gear hurts my stats so much? I'm guessing I'm not powerful enough to wear them yet or something? Buying 2 pieces of gear will take all my money anyways...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Okay, I just found the black cat after playing for all these hours... Is there a reason why the cool looking gear hurts my stats so much? I'm guessing I'm not powerful enough to wear them yet or something? Buying 2 pieces of gear will take all my money anyways...

You may have noticed that his other dialog option is that he offers to make forgeries of any item for you...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think DD is using a slightly different character model for casting shadows...

367500_2016_01_17_00001_by_aloooo81-d9odmsz.jpg

DaciaJC

Gold Member
*sigh*

Fuck Hard mode. It's fine for NG+, even in BBI, but I wasn't expecting nearly this high a frequency of one-shot deaths in NG. I don't even mind the increased stamina costs, in fact I kinda prefer it that way, but getting killed in an instant by these bandits even at level 30 is goddamned infuriating.

LegendX48

so I unintentionally made my pawn go after the strongest enemies first and am now seeing that it was probably a dumb thing to do. Is there any way to change that?

My companions are so bad at fleeing battle. They always gets their asses torn up no matter how much I mash "Come". Someone needs to mod this game so I can store my pawns in pokeballs and zap their asses back in their containers when we are getting thrashed.

I think DD is using a slightly different character model for casting shadows...

367500_2016_01_17_00001_by_aloooo81-d9odmsz.jpg
Yep, this has bothered me since i played on ps3, one of the things i REALLY wanted fixed in the pc port (even tried pming wbacon about it lol, no reply). the crazy thing is they have proper shadows in big cutscenes like at the start when the dragon comes to the village, so it seems like it should just be a switch...

I also tried asking ENB creator if he could fix , no reply either.

Grief.exe

Yep, this has bothered me since i played on ps3, one of the things i REALLY wanted fixed in the pc port (even tried pming wbacon about it lol, no reply). the crazy thing is they have proper shadows in big cutscenes like at the start when the dragon comes to the village, so it seems like it should just be a switch...

That seems like something that would be hard coded into the game, not an easy shader fix.

rybrad

I picked Magic Archer because I wanted crazy archery spells.

Most encounters I just cut dudes up with my daggers.

I hope the archer spells get crazier later on because I'm not that hot on em yet! All the archery spells feel too weak.
This is pretty much the same predicament I am in. I am thinking about switching to Assassin or Mystic Knight instead since I am not using the archery much with how weak it feels like you mentioned.

Fasty

It seems to be just shadows cast from lanterns that look so low poly

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Three buttons pressing in total, not as quick as the true quick save button.
I don't really mind it personally, but I understand the complaints.

It only becomes really frustrating when you realize you've been roaming around the world for 45 minutes and haven't hit a save point because of it. Then you die. And lose all that progress.

It's most frustrating because the save option isn't just some checkpoint save, it saves your progress and where you are, so its basically a quick save already. It just isn't mapped to a button, there aren't multiple saves, and it doesn't work in the background while the game continues.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
How do you block with controller? LB?

I found mapping it to LT works better for my muscle memory (setup 2 in the controller options for X360 controller).

I shot to level 22 without even trying, this game really gets it's hooks into you... played till 5am on a work day, jeepers :p.

It seems to be just shadows cast from lanterns that look so low poly
Nope, its all shadows, even from the sun. No armor casts any shadows, no capes, scarfs, etc, no hair. Only weapons, and what im guessing is an invisible low poly character model, casts shadows.

That seems like something that would be hard coded into the game, not an easy shader fix.
What im saying is that if proper shadows are being rendered in those cutscenes, which are real time and not pre-rendered, then that means the engine is switching between the two versions of character shadows in real time, so maybe there is a setting or some code somewhere that could be taken advantage of to tell the engine to render full shadows during gameplay as welll.

It might be more complicated than that, but it cant be TOO hard, since the engine is already capable of rendering full shadows, they just chose not to for performance reasons, which made sense on consoles since they struggled to even reach 30fps.

H2Yo

What the fuck? I just launched steam to play some Dragon's Dogma and it's just gone?
I went to the folder and saw the DDDA.exe and double clicked it and now it's asking to download the 20GB again? WTF

Overside

Banned
What the fuck? I just launched steam to play some Dragon's Dogma and it's just gone?
I went to the folder and saw the DDDA.exe and double clicked it and now it's asking to download the 20GB again? WTF

What?!!!???

*Rushes over to game case, unlocks it, pulls out DD game case, and opens it*

Oh thank God, it will always still be there.

Seriously though, that sucks.

Top Bottom