• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Woof, stopping for the night. Reached level 39. Reached a new story point, put a new port crystal in the great wall area because it's a pain to get to, and upgraded/got new equipment for Geralt and Triss.

Upgraded look
5C4McOv.jpg

m2nIxSc.jpg

Triss is absolutely wrecking all of the bosses by herself. I got her all the sorceress upgrades for fast casting and bigger mana pool. Tomorrow I should be able to level up enough to get her final spell upgrade, and to give her a ring that reduces cast time. That should make her even beastlier. Geralt is sporting a similar looking outfit, but it's the 'red leather' variety, so it's stronger thank god.

Tomorrow I'll work on farming the right creatures for the drops that I need to upgrade the above galvanic razors, since I also already have fully upgraded the fire daggers. Next daggers I get funny enough might not be until very late game if not post-game, so I might end up buying the darkness daggers and upgrading them since they apparently do a have a use with certain enemies.

To anyone who is further in the game, is 5 port crystals the max in NG until we reach post-game? I already have all 5 port crystals and I still have like one major location to go to, but all my crystals are used lol. I only needed one more, not cool yo.

jonjonaug

All clear with the base game. My damage rating right now is something like 1855 on my sword and 1300 on my bow, so I think I'm good for starting on Bitterblack Isle later this week.

To anyone who is further in the game, is 5 port crystals the max in NG until we reach post-game? I already have all 5 port crystals and I still have like one major location to go to, but all my crystals are used lol. I only needed one more, not cool yo.

Yeah, 5 is the max in NG. You can buy more in NG+ and have a total of 10 set up I think.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
What ENB preset do people recommend? Do you still need to set HDR to high for it to work?

Loving Resonant ENB at the moment: night's are dark but manageable, and fire/magic fills the air with a certain...resonance. You need HDR on high I think, but worth it. Haven't noticed any major frame hit with everything maxed@1080p (3770K+GTX980).

The DoF is a bit harsh, but awesome for screenshots with no HUD :D

Kind of wish there was a weapons swap mapped to right D-Pad or something (instead of both help)...great mod idea really.

Loving Resonant ENB at the moment: night's are dark but manageable, and fire/magic fills the air with a certain...resonance. You need HDR on high I think, but worth it. Haven't noticed any major frame hit with everything maxed@1080p (3770K+GTX980).

The DoF is a bit harsh, but awesome for screenshots with no HUD :D

Try turning off the in-game DoF and see if that helps. If it's still too much for your liking, turn it off from the enbseries.ini file. Search for EnableDepthOfField=true and change it to false.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What?!!!???

*Rushes over to game case, unlocks it, pulls out DD game case, and opens it*

Oh thank God, it will always still be there.

Seriously though, that sucks.

Your analogy doesnt work because he also still has the game, he just has to redownload it.

Gren

Anyone else notice some minor, random graphic glitches at times? Like NPCs disappearing for a brief second just before you speak to them (didn't notice this in the console ver), and some weird geometry glitch when previewing gear at Caxton's store.

I can't seem to replicate what causes it, but I've noticed it on two different computers.

So...how does the auto-saving work? You know, when it says "Saving..." on the screen. I had a pawn get instantly sent back to the Rift after getting possessed, so I thought I'd reload. But it took me back to my last manual save 45 minutes ago.
Did you choose "load last checkpoint?" For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to load the autosave data. Backing out to the main menu & choosing load game works though, even if it's a pain.

So...how does the auto-saving work? You know, when it says "Saving..." on the screen. I had a pawn get instantly sent back to the Rift after getting possessed, so I thought I'd reload. But it took me back to my last manual save 45 minutes ago.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Try turning off the in-game DoF and see if that helps. If it's still too much for your liking, turn it off from the enbseries.ini file. Search for EnableDepthOfField=true and change it to false.

Oh yep I'm all good with it off on both - just like turning it on for screenshots using the ENB shift-enter command - SO good for dramatic looking screenshots with that ENB preset (brights are super bright, dithering effect is amazing too).

It's crazy how big a difference the ENB makes... totally changes the game IMO.

Did you choose "load last checkpoint?" For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to load the autosave data. Backing out to the main menu & choosing load game works though, even if it's a pain.
Oof, no, I learned that from a mistake I made yesterday. I read somewhere online about doing exactly as you said (since you can't load unless you first quit to the main menu), but I guess it didn't work.

Don't know if auto-saves count as checkpoints but there are two save types that can be at different points for sure

-Checkpoints from sleeping at an Inn

- Saves you do manually.

This is useful if you're doing a quest that can fuck you over if you don't do it perfectly and there was an auto-save somewhere. you can reload to the last inn save.

Oh yep I'm all good with it off on both - just like turning it on for screenshots using the ENB shift-enter command - SO good for dramatic looking screenshots with that ENB preset (brights are super bright, dithering effect is amazing too).

It's crazy how big a difference the ENB makes... totally changes the game IMO.

That's cool then.

Yeah, ENB makes the game doesn't look and feel like a DX9 game anymore.

jonjonaug

So are all the leet assassin skills in sword and board or dagger and bow?

Sword and bow is my favorite combo. Fivefold flurry buffed with blast arrows and conqueror's periapts destroys almost anything in the game (fuck you Living Armor), and dire gouge makes you feel like a badass.

personally, I'd say dagger for sure, don't know about shields.

But daggers have:

-A skill you can basically dash through enemies over and over again super fast and knock them on their ass. Also doubles as a great skill to dash to enemies running away

- A skill that turns you invisible and invulnerable to damage. This will be VERY useful if you ever find a boss that has like a one hit kill attack.

- A counter attack skill that does beastly damage (though apparently swords have a counter too)

- A skill you do a flurry of dagger attacks stationary. On ground it's ok, but the reason I recommend it is because you can use it while climbing monsters which makes it a demolisher.

- A dodge move. This is so useful when an enemy is not being staggered by your attack, dodge away.

There are other skills like a poison attack I guess.

I'd say bows are damn useful too though for flying enemies, use the 5 arrow 'shotgun' skill, also the super strong shot you can use for enemies like cyclops right on their eye. There's also a skill that shoots 5 arrows at a time at an enemy, super useful. And of course there's also skills that cause torpor (slow down enemies).

Sword and bow is my favorite combo. Fivefold flurry buffed with blast arrows and conqueror's periapts destroys almost anything in the game (fuck you Living Armor), and dire gouge makes you feel like a badass.

I was curious about swapping over to sword. Nothing interesting about the shield move set?

edit: thanks for the info woofington

Steel

Banned

Both sword and dagger have pretty nice skills with the assassin. To add to Woofington's list dagger has a haste move that will get you moving and attacking at insane speeds, unique to Assassin: Gale Harness. On the other hand with the sword you can plant bombs that you can detonate at will, and as you walk around with the bomb planted, you leave a gunpowder trail that will also damage enemies when its lit all the way back to the planted bomb. And the sword also has windmill slash, a ridiculously fast series of strikes that can be continued for as long as your stamina holds, and you can move while doing it.

- A skill you do a flurry of dagger attacks stationary. On ground it's ok, but the reason I recommend it is because you can use it while climbing monsters which makes it a demolisher.

The assassin sword has gouge, which can be used while climbing a monster. Actually, it can only be used when climbing a monster unfortunately, but makes up for it by having beastly damage.

I was curious about swapping over to sword. Nothing interesting about the shield move set?

edit: thanks for the info woofington

I honestly never used a shield with Assassin to test it. I actually wonder what the unique shield skills are, as the sword parries are a great defense by themselves. Looking at the skill list, it sounds like there are some nice buffs and you can launch yourself in the air by blocking.

Like this:
Flight Response:
Uses blocked enemy strikes to launch the user into the air and out of harm's way.

Sounds like fun.

This looks near identical to how mine looks right now lol. Mine is a bit less saturated, but otherwise spot on.

Weird, I started from scratch and was just trying to make the game a bit less dull and to put a bit more blue in there. I think it works but I'm still making changes and probably will be until I'm done with the game, lol. This is actually the first time I've tweaked Sweetfx settings, usually I just grab a preset and let it be.

Coonce

Has anyone delved into the config file and tweaked with anything?

Looking at the config.ini in appdata, I see a few lines that are worth testing.

Under GRAPHICS -

AntiAlias = NONE
TextureMipLimite=2

I also have

AltAntiAlias=FXAA3HQ

just wondering if there's any comparison shots of the different AA methods. and last, any recommendations on a good looking sweetFX/reshade profile? Thanks!

just read through the listings of what is upcoming in the stores for the next story stages and can safely say that until post-game I won't be changing my look by much lol. I guess it's nice as I can focus on simply upgrading the current equipment.

any cool equipment is apparently gonna be based on how lucky I am with drops in the expansion.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if auto-saves count as checkpoints but there are two save types that can be at different points for sure

-Checkpoints from sleeping at an Inn

- Saves you do manually.

This is useful if you're doing a quest that can fuck you over if you don't do it perfectly and there was an auto-save somewhere. you can reload to the last inn save.

There are also ones when you enter a region.

Just reached rank 8 Fighter, should I switch to Mystic Knight now or Mage/Sorcerer (plan to use Great Cannon)? I don't like Mage/Sorcerer much but I wonder my Mystic Knight will be weak if I don't have magick boost augment from Mage/Sorcerer

Just reached rank 8 Fighter, should I switch to Mystic Knight now or Mage/Sorcerer (plan to use Great Cannon)? I don't like Mage/Sorcerer much but I wonder my Mystic Knight will be weak if I don't have magick boost augment from Mage/Sorcerer

min maxing doesn't really matter man. Even on hard mode apparently. Just do what you want.

Really hope they get the RC/pawn gifting stuff sorted out

This release has been great with that being the one big disappointment

It's disappointing because there really is no other way of knowing who is using your pawn so you're putting all this effort for nothing outside of your own personal use haha

Spazznid

So some users, myself included, can no longer properly use our first two skills.

For instance, if I am a mage, and my LB+X is a cast move that needs to charge, it will charge, but never activate. Only way out of this is to jump. Only happened starting today, and I'm hopinh my save isn't corrupted. Others on Steam and Reddit are reporting similar issues...

Really hope they get the RC/pawn gifting stuff sorted out

This release has been great with that being the one big disappointment

What really disappoints me is that they still haven't done anything about it, even informing us that they're well aware of the situation and working on it.
Or am I just missing it?

Lanrutcon

What really disappoints me is that they still haven't done anything about it, even informing us that they're well aware of the situation and working on it.
Or am I just missing it?

Game has been out for 2 days. We'll hear something this week.

Some of your pawns are sitting on 800k sets of armor.

I might just be crazy, but...I find Striders to be better Assassins than Assassins.

AcridMeat

Banned
Has anyone had an issue with finding friend's pawns? Specifically the option in the rift to "Search for pawns you may know"? Any time I select that I get a "could not receive information" error. My buddy got my pawn just fine but I'm left without his and it's a big bummer. We've tried resting at the same inn, I tried going offline, leaving the town, going online/re-entering, etc.

My new idea is to search by his pawn's level and hopefully find it that way but I'll need to do that when he's online/on the game I think.
I just lost like an hour of work cause i kept seeing "autosave" on screen but i guess those didnt count...
This happens to me a fair amount, just have to remember to save manually. :/

I don't know how some of y'all play RPGs and don't have the mentality to save manually often already ingrained in you.

Like you get this from those with multiple save files haha

Thanks, will switch to Mystic Knight immediately :)

just remember you can always switch to another class after you max it out, it costs nothing to switch back to a class you already paid for.

Lanrutcon

i hope youre right but that's under the assume the stuff is being saved. If that's the case and everything is just backed up waiting to be distributed, then all will be forgiven

If it isn't then I've thrown a few million away :p

I hope the knowledge is being saved, at least. I'm having issues getting 3 stars on a lot of stuff.

Astarte

It depends, really. Assassins have the greatest mount damage skill in the game with Dire Gouge (which is a sword only skill). This, coupled with nighttime bonuses will make you kill anything in the game in a few seconds.

If I'm not trying to mount anything I just use Masterful Kill/Reset(or gale harness)/Kisses and that got me through BBI with flying colors (or invisibility but that skill is literally a "use to win" situation).

It's really a mix of sword, dagger, and bow with me ignoring the shield entirely.

If you're planning on mainly using Great Cannon then leveling up a Sorcerer and getting Acuity/Articulacy definitely helps. It's not a huge deal though, so if you're wanting to switch straight to Mystick Knight I'd say go for it.

plus dark souls have a specific reason for being a single save per character, it's part of the difficulty so you have to live through your fuck ups. DD doesn't really have any reason I can see outside of fucking you over in a situation like a boss fight that has a chance to drop a rare item.

Shadownet

Banned
I wish this game had some sort of level indicator for missions. I hate taking a mission and not knowing its level is way too hard.
This. I hate wandering into the wrong area and get 1 shot before I figured out that I'm suppose to run.
It only becomes really frustrating when you realize you've been roaming around the world for 45 minutes and haven't hit a save point because of it. Then you die. And lose all that progress.

It's most frustrating because the save option isn't just some checkpoint save, it saves your progress and where you are, so its basically a quick save already. It just isn't mapped to a button, there aren't multiple saves, and it doesn't work in the background while the game continues.
Shit, this happens to me so much today. Never have I missed F5 so much and M to open Map. Maybe someone can mod those in.

Echoplx

Is the pawn system bugged or something? I can only ever see like 18 of my friends even though I have much more than that who play, and a friend who I got to buy the game can use my pawn but I can't even see his.

Is the pawn system bugged or something? I can only ever see like 18 of my friends even though I have much more than that who play, and a friend who I got to buy the game can use my pawn but I can't even see his.

I genuinely think it's bugged, it already has issues where your pawn isn't getting ratings or notifying you it was used. And outside of that as you said I doubt that out of the 345 friends I have, the grand majority from the DD group, that only 59 have pawns in the system after this whole weekend.

Top Bottom