• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Great Cannon + ruinous sigil, Abyssal weapon enchant is great as well since it can be stacked over top of other weapon enchants.

Ok I didn't actually try Ruinous sigil as I mistook it for the shitty vacuum one. That crap is bananas, as is great cannon.

Gone from 0 to hero, thanks for the tips.

Mupod

so I will admit I have a huge fascination with venturing into places I'm not supposed to and coming back with a trophy. Went into Bitterblack at around 36.

after arc of might-ing my way past a whole bunch of jerks that I could barely dent otherwise I found a nice staff for my pawn and this thing:

0Y8q5oi.jpg

Even had the stuff on hand to upgrade it. Time to go one shot some monsters I guess!

fr0st

Banned
so I will admit I have a huge fascination with venturing into places I'm not supposed to and coming back with a trophy. Went into Bitterblack at around 36.

after arc of might-ing my way past a whole bunch of jerks that I could barely dent otherwise I found a nice staff for my pawn and this thing:

0Y8q5oi.jpg

Even had the stuff on hand to upgrade it. Time to go one shot some monsters I guess!
Did you finish the base game already?

Mupod

Did you finish the base game already?

no, I'm probably not even close. I just got bored of whatever I was doing.

edit: bitterblack is honestly way more interesting to me than the base game. Just cuts out all the dumb bullshit I hated about it. Actually looking forward to getting strong enough to play around in there for real.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really like my current lankypawn, but I was messing with a second save for modding purposes and made my sweet beardboy and kind of want to keep him too now.

screenshot_2016_01_18_23_11_38_5_by_aloooo81-d9oi9kv.jpg

screenshot_2016_01_18_23_05_12_2_by_aloooo81-d9oi9l3.jpg

what could I be doing wrong? i have 0296, ssd, etc
Do you have FPS uncapped? Creator mentioned capping FPS to something low to make it load faster, so maybe if you have really high FPS it makes it take even longer?

I'm on an SSD and I also only have about 5 extra seconds of load time, I play with game capped at 58fps using ENB fps limiter, also have ENB vsync enabled. I have no idea if those have any impact.

what could I be doing wrong? i have 0296, ssd, etc

No idea, but I've also read similar reports of long loading times on ENB.
Not sure what's the cause.

This game is one of the very few games where accidental victory is as satisfying, or more satisfying, than victory through skill.

2016-01-18_00003iruu7.jpg

It's not like these things are hard, it's just too much fun seeing them fall down!

Exactly what I experienced last night. Is it scripted or what?
Here's the full story.

Tonight's story in Dragon's Dogma.

Came across this windy cave that is full of harpies. In the middle of it, two of my pawns got slaughtered a.k.a thrown off the cliff by the damned harpies. So it was just two of us left, me the assasin and my friend's handy ranger pawn. We both managed to kill the rest of the harpies and some goblins along the way. And then a huge orc is waiting for us at a narrow path, blocking us from our objective. Saw my ranger's health in red, I almost surrender and go back to town to gather my party for revenge. But then the little ranger just shot her arrows away and took a lucky shot on the ogre's chest, and it just fell of the cliff! 10/10 would rent her forever.

Sarcasm

Do you have FPS uncapped? Creator mentioned capping FPS to something low to make it load faster, so maybe if you have really high FPS it makes it take even longer?

I'm on an SSD and I also only have about 5 extra seconds of load time, I play with game capped at 58fps using ENB fps limiter, also have ENB vsync enabled. I have no idea if those have any impact.

Wait you are saying if I cap my FPS to 58 my load times would increase when using injectors?

Oh, okay then...

I just beat the
gazer? giant eyeball thing
in BBI, and started looking around the area right after it.
Death grim reaper guy
shows up to try and spook everyone, and leaves without any of my pawns, but then
some hungry ogre
shows up due to random carcasses and gets ready to eat everyone. And then it immediately fell off the staircase and into the watery abyss below. Unfortunately one brave pawn had clung to it to fight it and perished along with it :(

ezekial45

Banned
Why does my damage seem so low? Can't beat the bandits on the Tome quest at all because I can't do decent damage to the warriors. Do I need better weapons than the ones that can be bought?

Have you tried enhancing your gear from the weapons dealer in Gran Soren? You can buff all weapons and armor up to three ranks. That might help you. Or else you just might need new gear entirely.

JimPanzer

Are The dlc armors you get overpowered? Might not use them at all if they are better than everything else I find for a long time, takes the joy out of the loot.

ezekial45

Banned
Are The dlc armors you get overpowered? Might not use them at all if they are better than everything else I find for a long time, takes the joy out of the loot.

Not at all. You'll drop them faster than you think. They just make the early portions of the game, where you have the basic gear, a little more interesting.

Seyavesh

blast from the past
HF65O6G.jpg

not at all- they're like midrange equipment at best

I feel like this is where Im at right now. It seems like ive gotta choose BA armor or armor with BA stats.
oddly enough most of the endgame armor actually looks pretty cool barring the helmets (but i don't like any of the hats/helms in the game anyhow)
but yes fashions dogma is king. it's a shame they took out the berserk armors because those were some of the best looking pieces in the game- i've been having to substitute other stuff for that kinda merc warrior look

oh and forgot to say so, but having reached end game I once again regret playing a light armor wearing class. Like there's no good looking light armor gear. I basically used the leather jacket for 99% of the game, jist changed it recently and I regret it already, but the stats of the other gear is too low to use it.

I think tomorrow I'll get to level 50 and go to BBI as the gear I see from that looks pretty decent.

I highly recommend trying a full team of sorcerers and quad casting(sorcerer pawns try to cast the same spell as you automatically) high/grand bolide on a group of enemies. You will feel like you've unleashed the wrath of god.

KainXVIII

I'm not sure if it's true for all side quests, but I started some stage 2 quests when I already was in stage 3/4, so I guess they are still available.

Thanks, hope this is true, i want to complete every sidequests (but not board quests, maybe) =)

Man I feel really overpowered. I'm level 30 and just finished the Griffon/Trials and Trib quests. Aside from the first couple hours this game has definitely not been as challenging as I've been hearing. Am I just at a weird part in the difficulty curve?

edit:
Playing on normal

Two people actually recruited my pawn. Oh, joyous day!

The proliferation of pawn knowledge is a pretty cool idea. Mostly because it just struck me how handy hiring knowledgeable pawns could be, which would make the RC cost of high-level pawns worthwhile. And having your pawn hired is just as mutually beneficial.

It's also really cool favouriting some good/fun/cool pawns and seeing them grow as you play. Wulf (I think that's Tharp's pawn) is, for instance, growing just beyond me and he's now a formidable warrior, whereas my pawn has stayed a tanky fighter. Together they are quite a duo.
Hey, can you guys/gals add me on Steam? My ID is: earvcunanan

Played on PS3/360, starting off fresh here.

Done.

Good luck!

Man I feel really overpowered. I'm level 30 and just finished the Griffon/Trials and Trib quests. Aside from the first couple hours this game has definitely not been as challenging as I've been hearing. Am I just at a weird part in the difficulty curve?

edit:
Playing on normal

I dunno. Since I got a magic weapon it's been easy street against humanoid-sized enemies, but I haven't really ventured that far from Gran Soren yet. I'm not quite at the level of shredding giant enemies, but I'm getting there.

Llyranor

I love how flexible the game is re: switching classes. Started with strider, and since then I've leveled up a bit of magic archer, mystic knight, ranger, and assassin. Aince augments, core skills, and some weapon skills carry over, I don't feel underpowered when I start over a new class. It's great that the game just lets me play whatever instead of having to commit to one playstyle per playthrough.

I feel like I should love this game but I'm hitting a wall. Couple hours in - got to the big city and did a quest in the lower level of the Pawn Guild where tentacles popped up.

After that I was told to meet with some dude about Wyrn Quests or something. I accepted a quest that took me to 'Shadow Fort' and messed around there but ended up getting shat on trying to open a gate. Now it's just me alive (all pawns have died). I have some stone that says I can use to fast travel to it, but I don't think I actually can.

It already took me an hour to walk across the map to this place and now I'm even at heavy weight. Just dunno what to do. It's hard for me to tell if I should get shit on or if I'm just underleveled or undergeared. It felt like the game was telling me to come here.

I'm like level 19ish I IIRC. Warrior class. Halp.

I just finished that part. I beat it at level 20 or 21. My only real difficulty was getting out there in one piece without dying.

If anyone wants a tip for getting to Shadow Fort:
Take the path at night! I took the first path north of the first encampment you get to, which was north of the starting city. Bandits aren't out at night, but wolves are out in greater numbers but are easier to fight. Really helped me once I did that.

As others have said, this may be a good time to place a port crystal, and use the ferrystone out of there to recharge and then teleport back.

Don't have a port crystal? You're close to one, but it's a minor spoiler for the quest which gives the location of the lever.
Once you enter the gate of the shadow fort, half-way down on the left is a broken house structure without a roof. On the side closest to the ballistas firing at you is a ladder. Take the ladder and take the door. Inside are like 6 goblins, but a port crystal is dead ahead in one of the cells. Lever is at the end of the hall way. There's also some armor in the house which may be useful to you since I think it's for Warriors.

Once I finished with that area, and the Tome quest I hit level 23. I feel like I just crested over a difficulty hump because now bandits and the like which were a problem when I was first getting there are a lot easier somehow. I did get some new gear and enhanced it at the rest stop along the path which probably helped in addition to the levels.

Good luck Arisen!

*Edit* Also, now that online gifts are working, I just rested at the Inn. Got 5 star on helpfulness/battle but 4 stars on appearance. Fair chunk of RC. Oh, and the only item I got was a rotten egg. :'(

edit:
Playing on normal
Once you're around lvl30+ nothing found in Gransys poses much of a challenge anymore until you fight The Dragon.

The true challenges are found on Bitterblack Isle.

deoee

Are the armor sets you get from the Pawn Guild for fress supposed to be... a bit too strong?

If I'd not care about style I would run around in the princess outfit :D

Plus in the first few hours: are there any great Daggers / Bows / Swords to find? (Point me in the general direction maybe :>?)

Top Bottom