• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Are the armor sets you get from the Pawn Guild for fress supposed to be... a bit too strong?

If I'd not care about style I would run around in the princess outfit :D

Plus in the first few hours: are there any great Daggers / Bows / Swords to find? (Point me in the general direction maybe :>?)

The female bandit fort west of the main city has some upgrades to dagger and bows in chests.

Alright. So I'm at the capital and finished the arisen tablet quest.. I feel like I'm just flying through quests without understanding what in actually doing. Either I'm not paying enough attention or am overwhelmed, or the story is rather light. All I gather right now is that there's a cloud hanging over the land and I'm supposed I get buff and fight the dragon because of reasons. Went to the bottom of this pit that pawns guarded over or something. Very hilarious thing happened.. This troll or something came out, I jumped on its back and it jumped off the cliff, killing itself. I was fine, so I skipped at least half the level by falling to the bottom of the pit on this monster. Then there was a bunch of tentacles that just wouldn't quit, so I ran all the way back out.. Felt like I'm missing something, but according to the quest, that's all I was supposed to do.

I'd like to add that I really hate traveling across the enormous map, only to die and then respawn on the otherside of the world. Happened a lot while I was guiding Ser something something to shadow fort (or rather, trying to find where I could go on the map and falling to my death a lot while looking for paths or shortcuts toward where the quest maker seemed to be) I couldn't figure out how to get there on the map, so I gave up and took on what seemed to be the more local plot related quest at the capital.

Concerning items and whatnot, does any of this junk really do anything helpful? I'm loaded with tons of seemingly useless or impractical goods. Ancient scrolls, flasks, all kinds of flowers, etc. does it become useful in any practical way?

Once you're around lvl30+ nothing found in Gransys poses much of a challenge anymore until you fight The Dragon.

The true challenges are found on Bitterblack Isle.

Ah thanks, I'll probably mainline the story quests then. Do you go straight to NG+ after the dragon, or can I fight him and then go to BB Isle?

Golnei

oh and forgot to say so, but having reached end game I once again regret playing a light armor wearing class. Like there's no good looking light armor gear. I basically used the leather jacket for 99% of the game, jist changed it recently and I regret it already, but the stats of the other gear is too low to use it.

It's a shame that there'll probably never be an easier way to use purely cosmetic armour outside of manually going and swapping their models.

Concerning items and whatnot, does any of this junk really do anything helpful? I'm loaded with tons of seemingly useless or impractical goods. Ancient scrolls, flasks, all kinds of flowers, etc. does it become useful in any practical way?

Anything without an explicit listed use (as a weapon or consumable) is usually intended for crafting.

T.O.P

Banned
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i almost had the Dragon down at lvl27

When he starts flying and spitting fire can you actually grab his tail or something? i tried but he kept moving as i got near :| feels like as a warrior i can't do much about that phase tbh

Still, gonna reach 30 and try again, the fight is pretty damn fun

KainXVIII

Once you're around lvl30+ nothing found in Gransys poses much of a challenge anymore until you fight The Dragon.

The true challenges are found on Bitterblack Isle.

Sounds alarming, i'm already at 20 lvl and still not beat Lure of the Abyss quest, hope that i'm not overpowered.

Overside

Banned
Man I feel really overpowered. I'm level 30 and just finished the Griffon/Trials and Trib quests. Aside from the first couple hours this game has definitely not been as challenging as I've been hearing. Am I just at a weird part in the difficulty curve?

edit:
Playing on normal

Pretty Much.

Nobody is talking about the story campaign when theynsay things like that. Once you've beaten the story, is when the real game begins.

You will be spending most of your time in the everfall (you'll know when) and bbi, as you grow more powerful.

Just don't feel too smug yet, pride comes before fall. And you will fall. And then you will get back up.

It's a shame that there'll probably never be an easier way to use purely cosmetic armour outside of manually going and swapping their models.

Anything without an explicit listed use (as a weapon or consumable) is usually intended for crafting.

yeah it really is. The lack of fashion gear hurts this like a motherfucker. It's especially bad when so much of the heavy armor looks sweet, they out no effort in lightwear.

Also decided to give a try to the BBI. Honestly? Seems like it'd be fun if i felt like doing something like it. But I don't have the patience at the moment to go through what seems to be essentially the chalice dungeons from Bloodborne. I don't wanna go through a thing I have to go through it over and over again with no shortcuts and go through chests that only have a chance to give me cool loot, and it's apparently a small chance at that. Went through some levels and got exactly 1 gear, and it ended up being a fucking ring lol.

Me and RNG are done after games like Destiny and Monster Hunter. I don't have the patience right now to do shit like this again. And seeing how the only other light armor I can get is also random drops from the other end-game area and it isn't all that good looking.... I think I'm done with the game for the time being. The time spent going through these areas over and over again wirth the hopes to get the end game gear that I wouldn't really be using unless I did a NG+ isn't enough of an incentive.

Still that's 40 hours out of the game I got. Very very solid. My biggest issue with it, as I had the first time around, is the ugly looking light armor for assassins. They put all the effort towards heavy armor.

Finally figured out how to get 2560x1440 to display correctly without stretching. Will hopefully be starting this up tomorrow! It's been so long since I've played the PS3 version and can only imagine how it feels at 60FPS.

yeah it really is. The lack of fashion gear hurts this like a motherfucker. It's especially bad when so much of the heavy armor looks sweet, they out no effort in lightwear.

Also decided to give a try to the BBI. Honestly? Seems like it'd be fun if i felt like doing something like it. But I don't have the patience at the moment to go through what seems to be essentially the chalice dungeons from Bloodborne. I don't wanna go through a thing I have to go through it over and over again with no shortcuts and go through chests that only have a chance to give me cool loot, and it's apparently a small chance at that. Went through some levels and got exactly 1 gear, and it ended up being a fucking ring lol.

Me and RNG are done after games like Destiny and Monster Hunter. I don't have the patience right now to do shit like this again. And seeing how the only other light armor I can get is also random drops from the other end-game area and it isn't all that good looking.... I think I'm done with the game for the time being. The time spent going through these areas over and over again wirth the hopes to get the end game gear that I wouldn't really be using unless I did a NG+ isn't enough of an incentive.

Still that's 40 hours out of the game I got. Very very solid. My biggest issue with it, as I had the first time around, is the ugly looking light armor for assassins. They put all the effort towards heavy armor.
There are shortcuts in BBI, two shortcuts after beating major bosses

Mechazawa

What the fuuuuuuuck is going on with this bridge in Soulflayer Canyon:
cyclopsbridgesdjtr.gif

bridgejumpysjq4.gif

Bonus "this game has the best parry animations in the world" gif:
parrygmkl2.gif

yeah the parry in this game is really forgiving and hyper satisfying. Like the window to parry is super wide, as long as it happens during the gap before the character starts relaxing you're golden lol

Lanrutcon

You're looking at it wrong, or at least in a weird way. The numbers you get from armor are the same as the numbers you get from leveling up. If you want to wear good looking, but weak, armor: go ahead. You can just level up a bit to make up the difference in values. Game plays the same whether you're a highly equipped level 50 or a fashionable level 80. My level 130 dresses like a hobo cause I like the look, not because it gives me any kind of advantage.

Once you complete the main story boss the world changes a lot. There's a lot of new bosses, a giant new dungeon and even some quests to do. This is where you get ready for BBI.

BBI is a giant 3 part dungeon with 3 mega bosses, each unlocking a shortcut once defeated. Several mini shortcuts are available (doors that only unlock one way) and if you're immune to fall damage you can skip entire areas as well. BBI is loaded with cool shit to fight, and is really the game's finest moment. Everything up until BBI doesn't really test you. When you first start BBI it will be frustrating, everything will be highly lethal, hp will seem bloated and the new enemies will be overwhelming. Stick with it. You'll learn and adapt, you'll get skill upgrades and new weapons. After spending a few days in BBI I'm convinced it's the best part of the entire game.

i just had my first hard crash after a little over nine hours of play time. i do have three or four mods installed so it could have something to do with that haha

i'm currently doing the
dying of curiosity
quest with
valmiro
and my game crashed on the way to
the witchwood
, but i'm excited to see what that knucklehead is up to

Gren

Bleh, started all over again because I realized I skipped Reynard at the beginning (just wandered off and never saved him). Anyways, here's the Mercedes character I was using. I made her during late-game on console, and jeez, the Captain's armor just does not hold up to snuff without being dragon-forged. Was getting one-shotted left & right.

Tried making Jill Valentine & Regina, but the latter looked too similar to the former, and too different from the base material. So I decided to make Rebecca instead. She makes a better complement in the end; of course I made Jill a Strider/marksman & Becky a mage/healer :p

I think you are supposed to bypass them at night.
If yes, the game does a shitty job giving you that hint, as most people, including me, had our asses handed to us early on.

I had trouble with the shield guy, basically we wiped the whole gang, then that one guy wipe my gang.

Still managed to kick their asses after playing for carefully and chugging curatives like crazy though.

Maximo

Level 50 So I decided to tackle Bitterblack Isle, I had to essentially skip the first boss leveling up my Warrior at the moment so I felt like I wasn't doing enough damage to
the gigantic fucking cyclops thing.
Had a better chance at the
huge Beholder
what a sick fight really loved this one the larger then life bosses really make this game super special, had to use a Wakestone which I reaaallly didn't want to use wanted to but ended up sucking up my pride.

Not sure if I will continue my warrior seems sluggish for the type of shit im coming up just saw a
Minotaur
and instantly noped the fuck out of there as soon as it owned my pawn.

Any tips or tricks for Bitterblock? nothing too spoilish.

Rolfgang

So, can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to find in the well, other than a handful of lizard people?

That handful of lizard people. You had to search for the threat in the well and the lizards are the threat. Once you've dealt with all of them you complete the quest.

Soodanim

(Repost)

I'm getting a micro-stutter about 2-3 times a second. Did some sideways running in empty alleyways in Gran Soren to test. Framerate was 135+ at all times, G-Sync on. Is it a part of Dragon's Dogma that I won't be able to smooth out? I booted up HL2E2 to see if that had it, but it was smooth sailing the whole way.

Single 970 in single display performance mode, power management mode = max performance, VR pre-rendered frames = 1. Tried both with GeDoSaTo on (borderless windowed) and without it (normal).

I also want to try brightening up the colour palette. Does the game have a filter?

NEO0MJ

That handful of lizard people. You had to search for the threat in the well and the lizards are the threat. Once you've dealt with all of them you complete the quest.

Aha, thanks. One of them ran away and I just continued exploring and found myself outside. Guess I'm going back.

You're looking at it wrong, or at least in a weird way. The numbers you get from armor are the same as the numbers you get from leveling up. If you want to wear good looking, but weak, armor: go ahead. You can just level up a bit to make up the difference in values. Game plays the same whether you're a highly equipped level 50 or a fashionable level 80. My level 130 dresses like a hobo cause I like the look, not because it gives me any kind of advantage.

Once you complete the main story boss the world changes a lot. There's a lot of new bosses, a giant new dungeon and even some quests to do. This is where you get ready for BBI.

BBI is a giant 3 part dungeon with 3 mega bosses, each unlocking a shortcut once defeated. Several mini shortcuts are available (doors that only unlock one way) and if you're immune to fall damage you can skip entire areas as well. BBI is loaded with cool shit to fight, and is really the game's finest moment. Everything up until BBI doesn't really test you. When you first start BBI it will be frustrating, everything will be highly lethal, hp will seem bloated and the new enemies will be overwhelming. Stick with it. You'll learn and adapt, you'll get skill upgrades and new weapons. After spending a few days in BBI I'm convinced it's the best part of the entire game.

I'm very much story driven in these kinds of games, as well as cool gear driven. Witcher 3 was perfect because while a bunch of gear was ugly as fuck, I was always striving to reach the levels I could upgrade my witcher school gear of choice to look great in, as well as keep playing the story.

Even in Souls titles which is all about the combat, atmosphere, boss fights, etc... I tend to have fun finding new gear I really like and then putting it on.

This game, as fun as it was then as it was now, has burned me out. The gear to put it lightly was uninspired and ugly. I was actively trying to get through story quests and reach new story stages to see if the vendors had unlocked better looking gear for either my pawn or myself. But so much of it were recolors or shit that I don't know who designed it but bleh and dorky, particularly for light armor.

The game felt unsatisfying in this regard because it actively killed my joy of getting cooler gear as the game progresses as it genuinely seemed the more gear I unlocked the more bland it was. I saved up so much money and when I spent it I realized I essentially looked the same.

The challenge might be there in post-game, but after 40 hours of being disappointed stage after stage in this regard only to learn that now I gotta go through a whole separate area to possibly get sweet looking gear I can't even buy myself with all of the money and points I have but instead gotta deal with random loot? Nah.

Maybe I'll change my mind later on and will give BBI a try, but to even get there and go through it proper i probably gotta go grind and do sidequests. And these things are meaningless when I'd only be doing all of this to get a cool look that I've wanted throughout the whole base game. Even the elemental daggers look the same only with recolor.

tl;dr I play these games for cool gear just as much as story and fun, and playing this again reminded me just how disappointing the gear is in looks and use.

wazoo

(Repost)

I'm getting a micro-stutter about 2-3 times a second. Did some sideways running in empty alleyways in Gran Soren to test. Framerate was 135+ at all times, G-Sync on. Is it a part of Dragon's Dogma that I won't be able to smooth out? I booted up HL2E2 to see if that had it, but it was smooth sailing the whole way.

Single 970 in single display performance mode, power management mode = max performance, VR pre-rendered frames = 1. Tried both with GeDoSaTo on (borderless windowed) and without it (normal).

I also want to try brightening up the colour palette. Does the game have a filter?

No problem with Gsync and 970 here.

"VR pre-rendered frames = 1", this is not the parameter you are looking for.

Depending on your monitor max framerate, you should cap it a bit below (135 for 144Hz for ex) to avoid the monitor to flip between gsync and vsync mod at the maximum framerate.

AJ_Wings

I'm at work and all I can think about is wanting to play more DD *_* .

Also, any news on the possibilty of modding 3 more additional skills for warrior? Thats the one thing I really hope to happen since the announcement of the PC port.

Lanrutcon

Level 50 So I decided to tackle Bitterblack Isle, I had to essentially skip the first boss leveling up my Warrior at the moment so I felt like I wasn't doing enough damage to
the gigantic fucking cyclops thing.
Had a better chance at the
huge Beholder
what a sick fight really loved this one the larger then life bosses really make this game super special, had to use a Wakestone which I reaaallly didn't want to use wanted to but ended up sucking up my pride.

Not sure if I will continue my warrior seems sluggish for the type of shit im coming up just saw a
Minotaur
and instantly noped the fuck out of there as soon as it owned my pawn.

Any tips or tricks for Bitterblock? nothing too spoilish.

The main drops from BBI are: novelties, gear, weapons and armor. All cursed, all ranging from level 1 to 3. You uncurse them with RC. Your first priority should be to locate chests that drop those and farm them. They contain rings that upgrade your skills, new augments, awesome weaponry and some nice armor.

You'll also notice that the guy you meet inside can rarify gear: as in, take dragonforged gear and uprade it even further. That's another way to get more badass for what lies ahead.

BBI also offers a number of ways to level up. There are at least 3 arenas, each with a number of different spawning variations that respawn on leaving and entering the area. Those are great for leveling and getting monster drops.

BBI doesn't offer linear increase in difficulty. You'll encounter certain things which sit at the top of the food chain rather early. Try and kill whatever you can, but don't count on it.

I'm at work and all I can think about is wanting to play more DD *_* .

Also, any news on the possibilty of modding 3 more additional skills for warrior? Thats the one I really hope to happen since the announcement of the PC port.
It definitely sucks having so many cool skills and not being able to use that many of them at a time.

Soodanim

No problem with Gsync and 970 here.

"VR pre-rendered frames = 1", this is not the parameter you are looking for.

Depending on your monitor max framerate, you should cap it a bit below (135 for 144Hz for ex) to avoid the monitor to flip between gsync and vsync mod at the maximum framerate.
I don't know much about the setting but I've seen people recommend it be set to 1 in the past. I already cap to 142fps via RTSS because I read it helps with input lag, would dropping the max fps that much more be necessary? I've never heard of that

Lanrutcon

I'm very much story driven in these kinds of games, as well as cool gear driven. Witcher 3 was perfect because while a bunch of gear was ugly as fuck, I was always striving to reach the levels I could upgrade my witcher school gear of choice to look great in, as well as keep playing the story.

Even in Souls titles which is all about the combat, atmosphere, boss fights, etc... I tend to have fun finding new gear I really like and then putting it on.

This game, as fun as it was then as it was now, has burned me out. The gear to put it lightly was uninspired and ugly. I was actively trying to get through story quests and reach new story stages to see if the vendors had unlocked better looking gear for either my pawn or myself. But so much of it were recolors or shit that I don't know who designed it but bleh and dorky, particularly for light armor.

The game felt unsatisfying in this regard because it actively killed my joy of getting cooler gear as the game progresses as it genuinely seemed the more gear I unlocked the more bland it was. I saved up so much money and when I spent it I realized I essentially looked the same.

The challenge might be there in post-game, but after 40 hours of being disappointed stage after stage in this regard only to learn that now I gotta go through a whole separate area to possibly get sweet looking gear I can't even buy myself with all of the money and points I have but instead gotta deal with random loot? Nah.

Maybe I'll change my mind later on and will give BBI a try, but to even get there and go through it proper i probably gotta go grind and do sidequests. And these things are meaningless when I'd only be doing all of this to get a cool look that I've wanted throughout the whole base game. Even the elemental daggers look the same only with recolor.

tl;dr I play these games for cool gear just as much as story and fun, and playing this again reminded me just how disappointing the gear is in looks and use.

Fair enough. I do agree that Strider/Assassin/Ranger gear got the short end of the stick. I am so jealous of heavy armor wielders and their fancy looking shit. Ah well. I'll keep dressing like a forest hobo :p

Fair enough. I do agree that Strider/Assassin/Ranger gear got the short end of the stick. I am so jealous of heavy armor wielders and their fancy looking shit. Ah well. I'll keep dressing like a forest hobo :p

see that reminded me of South Park stick of truth, which did it right. It's a comedic game with children running around. One of the best gears for mages was this silly outfit you essentially looked like a hobo who tore up a teddy bear and ductaped it around shitty clothing.

I'm fine with locking light/medium/heavy armor to different classes. But at least give equal effort in design for both. I mean shit.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...LionSet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120715024239

That's one of the late game gears you can get that light wearers can use. Who designed this? I want him or her fired lol

wazoo

I don't know much about the setting but I've seen people recommend it be set to 1 in the past.

There is another prerendered framerate setting to put to 1 in the Nvidia control panel just above this VR setting.

Anyway, there is something related to your config, game is smooth with gsync here.

Samaritan

Fixed mine by uninstalling GeDoSaTo and then reinstalling it in a folder without spaces. It wasn't working off of program files so I switched it to my games folder and now it seems to work.

Hot damn, that did the trick! Moved GeDoSaTo to my Documents folder and got it downsampling + injecting SMAA. Appreciate the help!

Played about 5 or so hours so far. Got to the main castle town thing and had the tenticle encounter. Change to a mystic knight as well. Love me some big ass shields and giant maces.

One of the best open world RPGs I have played so far. Mainly because I'm really not a fan of stories in games for the most part. It doesn't really drive me. I want it to be gamey as fuck and this really really is. Loving it.

Take stuff like witcher 3 as a comparison. It's a great game for sure but in those sorts of games I get bored quite often from so many cut scenes followed my walking followed by cutscenes etc. This game is just "go do this shit" "ok" - get on with exploring, fighting and looting. I love a good story but I prefere my stories in book and film format. I find it hard to keep up with game stories when they are separated by big chunks of combat and its very rare I play a game where I legitimately care about the characters around me.

How does this port stone thing work. I took it from the floor in the tenticle room but have no idea what to do with it. I assume I find the ferry stone at some point and it works like the stones in divinity?

Lanrutcon

Played about 5 or so hours so far. Got to the main castle town thing and had the tenticle encounter. Change to a mystic knight as well. Love me some big ass shields and giant maces.

One of the best open world RPGs I have played so far. Mainly because I'm really not a fan of stories in games for the most part. It doesn't really drive me. I want it to be gamey as fuck and this really really is. Loving it.

Take stuff like witcher 3 as a comparison. It's a great game for sure but in those sorts of games I get bored quite often from so many cut scenes followed my walking followed by cutscenes etc. This game is just "go do this shit" "ok" - get on with exploring, fighting and looting. I love a good story but I prefere my stories in book and film format. I find it hard to keep up with game stories when they are separated by big chunks of combat and its very rare I play a game where I legitimately care about the characters around me.

How does this port stone thing work. I took it from the floor in the tenticle room but have no idea what to do with it. I assume I find the ferry stone at some point and it works like the stones in divinity?

Portacrystals are destination points for Ferrystones. You can put them anywhere in the open world. You can pick it up and replace it an infinite number of times. You'll pick up 6 (?) in total, I think. New game plus lets you buy 4 more for a total of 10.

Portacrystals are destination points for Ferrystones. You can put them anywhere in the open world. You can pick it up and replace it an infinite number of times. You'll pick up 6 (?) in total, I think. New game plus lets you buy 4 more for a total of 10.

Awesome thanks. So pretty similar to the divinity system.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Veterans: How long do you reckon it would take from the start of NG+ to the Final Battle? I went into it with shitty gear/classes and got weapons I didn't want. I'm thinking maybe I'll plow through endgame and start NG+ ASAP and then rush to the end again to get the greatsword or the Ranger bow/daggers.

Lanrutcon

Veterans: How long do you reckon it would take from the start of NG+ to the Final Battle? I went into it with shitty gear/classes and got weapons I didn't want. I'm thinking maybe I'll plow through endgame and start NG+ ASAP and then rush to the end again to get the greatsword or the Ranger bow/daggers.

That...seems like a lot of work. The basic weapons you find on BBI are almost as good as the Dragon ones, and you can get those without having to fight anything. Just sprint around opening the right chests.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i almost had the Dragon down at lvl27

When he starts flying and spitting fire can you actually grab his tail or something? i tried but he kept moving as i got near :| feels like as a warrior i can't do much about that phase tbh

Lol the dragon or a drake? Because there is a very large difference between the dragon and some random drake/wyvern/wyrm, but yes you can grab the tail and climb up.

All classes actually have really good looking stuff, but the bow classes have to rely on rather rare drops from the everfall or BBI.
My pawn on the right here is a strider with BBI gear

With a good portcrystal setup about an hour, or sub 40 minutes if you know what you're doing. Just remember to equip completely fresh gear when you do this, as grigori will dragonforge everything you have, even unranked things.

Had to max out Warrior to get an augment for my Assassin. I loved some of the armor so much that I had to splurge a bit.

Did you pay for that armour? Looks like the heroes set, which is DLC and should've given you a free copy of the entire thing.

Are The dlc armors you get overpowered? Might not use them at all if they are better than everything else I find for a long time, takes the joy out of the loot.

Nope, only the Duke's set and Aelinore's outfit have really good stats, the rest just look nice and are used for meta like getting 100% dark resistance.

Thanks for the tips. It seems like you know everything. How many damn hours do you have into Dragon's Dogma?

About 400+ hours, 500 if you count loading/cutscenes etc..

Also on changing inclininations with potions, use them in order of 2/3/4/6 or 2/3/5/6 with your primary last. this will push down the least favourable ones down quite a bit and keep the ones you want high.
-never- use the neutralising one, this will just destroy your pawn.

Top Bottom