• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

abundant

When I really started to like it was when I got the sigil of Ruin. Oh man. Oh man oh man.

I use that every time I get near a Boss monster. It absolutely destroys them, especially if you have the right enchantment. Using it against mobs is fun too.

branny

Yeah, I'd love more varied environments, weather conditions, fully randomized encounters, and a bigger world to explore. I hope this sells enough to warrant a sequel of some sort. There are too many neat things about this game to have it just die off.

Whats hilarious to me, is that I'm defending a Capcom game, of all companies. This is the game that made me break my boycott on them, I'm not even buying Resident Evil 6, but this new I.P is so amazing...

Yeah, I'd love more varied environments, weather conditions, fully randomized encounters, and a bigger world to explore. I hope this sells enough to warrant a sequel of some sort. There are too many neat things about this game to have it just die off.

They're going to need to make some refinements if they do make a sequel. They need to look into crafting a much more interesting world, with better encounters and varied environments.

Karak

Ya I would be happy with just that myself. I am hoping for a sequel.

The cutscenes of soldiers doing awkward fistpumps after a victory is so damn awful. You can't make something that bad without knowing you're doing it, so I give them credit for leaving it in.

Also learned the hard way that a pawn who gets sucked into the water doesn't come back out alive like you do when you fall in. Lost a damn good pawn on the way to do the Shadow Fort quest. Fortunately I'm pretty much overpowered now and didn't need her, but I still liked having her attacks around.

Does anyone know what happens that causes my pawn to return to me with 20-50,000 rift crystals and other times just 200? Why the huge disparity?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If they make a sequel I would love to see something similar to FFXII's gambit system for the pawns. And then give them the ability to become hybrid classes.

My pawn would be a Magick Archer with an AI setup that consisted of an endless wall of "Set yourself on fire -> Hug things" commands.

The cutscenes in this game are so weird and surreal (asides from also being really terrible).

The Duke's Demesne is a locus of glorious insanity. I just finished a quest which ends in a classic Awkward Duke's Demesne Moment that doesn't even happen in the Duke's Demesne. They're exporting that shit now.

Any tips for the three ogres in the mines that connect the north and south? Cant remember the name. Im lvl 20

Burn baby burn. And listen to your pawns (hopefully you got at least one smart one) that tells you when to attack each part of them. At level 20 you're slightly overpowered for them already, so just take them one at a time and you shouldnt have a problem. The mine is setup in a way that you can always lure them into the low ground while you attack from above. Their attacks are pretty mindless and predictable. The hardest part about it was my pawns stupidly standing there and getting attacked and dying. I did those around 15-17, and it was by accident. I was returning with the grimoire when I entered the back-end of the cave and I ran into one after the other of them. Fun fights. Then I exited the front-end and some guy gave me credit for completing the quest.

Teknoman

I was aiming to change my arisen to a mystic knight...but I dont want the game to be a total cakewalk, especially after seeing the comments :/

Meicyn

Gold Member
462815_10150832105224117_447452025_o.jpg

What's left of a griffon's wings after I burned most of the feathers off. I almost felt sorry for the thing.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Is there any benefit to playing an Assassin with a sword but NOT the shield? I noticed some YouTube videos where someone was running around one-handing a sword while leaving the other hand empty.

This is how I play. You ditch the shield for the bow on your back. All dmg and counters. The sacrifice of course being that you can't block but if you play clairvoyance and Intimate strike just right you can counter and control crowds without really needing it. The bow as a trade off for the shield is great as you end up with 3 or 4 assassin only skills that, especially when used with the right augments, really just mage your dps insane. I can almost take half a bar of life off if i tag a chameria in it's stupid donkey face as long as i spot it before it sees me. The class really excells when played like this I think (I keep a pair of daggers with me to swap out between killing smaller groups of tough humanoids or big fucking monsters as opposed to huge groups of bandits or the like.)

ixix

Toss a pig at them and see what happens.

Oh man, I just tried this. It was funny at first, but then I accidentally grabbed one of my hired pawns instead of the pig and threw her, and then my main pawn grabbed her and threw her right back at me.

That's when it became hilarious.

Mystic Knight is great and all, but without the mage augment for the enchants they run out so quickly. Looks like Ill be rolling a mage up to vocation 7 just to get it lol.

ironcreed

Banned
I finally quit running around exploring for a bit and decided to move on with another part of the main quest. Just to sum it up, the trek to Bluemoon Tower and back was one of the greatest gaming moments I have had in years.

It got dark on me about halfway there and I battled through the night and the sun rose right before I got there. I fought through dire wolves, skeleton mages and warriors, the wind blowing me, a huge bandit ambush and a stone golem. Then through the tower of course.

Sure, the Griffin was cake at the end, but getting there, fighting through the tower, finding loot hidden everywhere and the storm that takes place once you get to the top was just amazing. By the time I was done, it was night again and I had to make the trek back with what resources I had left.

Could have used a Ferrystone, but no way was I going to end it there. Making it back through the night and walking into town just made it all the better. Warts and all, I love this damn game because it is just fun as hell to play and gets everything at the core right for me. I am so glad they took a chance and made it.

Warts and all, I love this damn game because it is just fun as hell to play and gets everything at the core right for me. I am so glad they took a chance and made it.

So do I, but I believe between the 18 or so people that bought this game in this thread. Releasing between Max Payne 3 and Diablo III, I am sensing an epic bomb. I would like to be surprised however...NPD will be telling.

Dresden

Everything about this game is a bit...off. :lol

lol . . . yeah. It's so lovable because of that though.

I mean, something like Diablo 3's writing is just terrible in a very blase and boring way. Dogma, though, you almost start suspecting that it was intentional before you remember this is Capcom.

ironcreed

Banned
So do I, but I believe between the 18 or so people that bought this game in this thread. Releasing between Max Payne 3 and Diablo III, I am sensing an epic bomb. I would like to be surprised however...NPD will be telling.

It would be a crime for a game with such great ideas, fun gameplay, attention to so many small details, as well as a strict adherence to old school roots to not get a sequel. Underneath some of the jank, the game itself is really something special. Hopefully word of mouth will carry it over the long haul.

Razlo

Loving this game so much. I wish there was a better nav system at times, but the battles and overall game feel are amazing.

Looking forward to any meaningful expansions & a sequel.

The story in this game is so sparse and badly paced, and SO MUCH OF IT is identical to Berserk that it feels like this was going to be a berserk game before it was its own property.

I dont think there's any doubt it's going to bomb hard in the west. They released it at a completely stupid time. I'm more interested to see how it fares in Japan in week 1. They said they were guaranteed a million sales at the minimum in Japan, which seems like alone would be justification for a sequel.

I dont think there's any doubt it's going to bomb hard in the west. They released it at a completely stupid time. I'm more interested to see how it fares in Japan in week 1. They said they were guaranteed a million sales at the minimum in Japan, which seems like alone would be justification for a sequel.

Whoa, one million sales in Japan? I thought they were only expecting 1.5 million sales for this?

Whoa, one million sales in Japan? I thought they were only expecting 1.5 million sales for this?

In an interview, one of the Japanese devs said "we were guaranteed a million sales in Japan."

Not sure how they came to that number, but I assume they're basing it off the success of Monster Hunter. Just to clarify, he didn't say a million sales in the first week. Just a million sales.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's their most expensive project to date. The 1.5 million figure should be the break even point for the game, and everything after that, profit. I'd really, really love for the game to get a sequel, they can improve so many things and make it an all-time classic. This game came so close but I guess Capcom is a bit inexperienced for such games, hopefully this gives them enough experience.

Capcom's trollin' >_<
I knew they left that Port Crystal at Bluemoon Tower for a reason. Now I gotta go back there again, lol. Oh well, at least I can try to increase my Assassin rank along the way.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loving the game so far, but any reason why when I enter a rift I get a slew of pawns that are like 40 levels higher than me and cost 0 rift tokens to hire? Seems a bit cheap and weird to have such power available right off the bat at no cost. A glitch? If I were to manually hire a pawn a level or two higher it costs a few tokens, but these freebies are like endgame pawns ready to go. I'm avoiding them to keep the game balanced for now.

ixix

Loving the game so far, but any reason why when I enter a rift I get a slew of pawns that are like 40 levels higher than me and cost 0 rift tokens to hire? Seems a bit cheap and weird to have such power available right off the bat at no cost. A glitch? If I were to manually hire a pawn a level or two higher it costs a few tokens, but these freebies are like endgame pawns ready to go. I'm avoiding them to keep the game balanced for now.

Are they the pawns of people on your friends list? Friends' pawns and pawns you've added to your favorites have priority to show up in the rift even if their level exceeds yours, and pawns of people on your friends list cost nothing to hire.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Are they the pawns of people on your friends list? Friends' pawns and pawns you've added to your favorites have priority to show up in the rift even if their level exceeds yours, and pawns of people on your friends list cost nothing to hire.

Ah, I didn't check who the pawns were attached to, but good to know if that is the case.

lunchtoast

lol . . . yeah. It's so lovable because of that though.

I mean, something like Diablo 3's writing is just terrible in a very blase and boring way. Dogma, though, you almost start suspecting that it was intentional before you remember this is Capcom.

It has to intentional. There's even a few npc's that do the "times are tough" line.

Anteater

hmm, anyone know where you could find the parcel service quest? I found those items in that dungeon but it seems that I don't have the quest open

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Hire my guy, in his Griffen Outfit. I need RC points :p

ixix

I'm pretty sure that every successive vocation rank takes longer to acquire than the one before it, and that hybrid classes take longer than any other type to advance in rank.

Maxing out hybrids takes a goodly long time.

Need help, this is after 50 hours into the game:

Beat the dragon, now have to go beyond the rift. Um, is there no way to change your vocation in the world now?

Need help, this is after 50 hours into the game:

Beat the dragon, now have to go beyond the rift. Um, is there no way to change your vocation in the world now?

Innkeeper moved to the pawn guild. You can still do all that stuff there

I may be wrong, but i think the higher your level, the slower your vocation ranks up.

I don't think that's the case. When I started over in NG+, I picked a strider (never played) and burned through the vocations just as quickly as before.

Top Bottom