• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Yeah, its used a lot on MMOs. I want to say it started with WoW but I dont know for sure.

lol no, it's been around since the days of Ultima Online.

Oh and unrelated, but after 40+ hours of gametime, I finally had a quest canceled on me (the conspirators). Feels bad man :(

Lain

My preorder from Amazon.it shipped yesterday and I received it today. Don't know when I'll get to play a bit of it, but I was wondering if anyone knew how long there is to wait usually for Amazon to send the code for the preorder bonus (the weapon upgrade pack)

Where did the term "toon" for a created character come from, anyway? I'd never heard it before a couple years ago.

I'd never heard it until the dude above :p

My preorder from Amazon.it shipped yesterday and I received it today. Don't know when I'll get to play a bit of it, but I was wondering if anyone knew how long there is to wait usually for Amazon to send the code for the preorder bonus (the weapon upgrade pack)

Mine was emailed to me

Salaadin

I got mine emailed the very day after I received it. Youll probably get yours today or tomorrow.

those weapons are nigh worthless anyway. you find better equipment literally 10 minutes in

atomsk

Party Pooper
any point in keeping the Beak of Gold? or just sell it...

when I hit level 30 I stopped doing quests and decided to fill out the map more, having a pretty good time doing that

Damn, I wanted to switch out my hat for something cooler looking but didn't have the materials for the upgrade just yet, and as my luck has it, the hat I was wearing becomes Dragon Forged. Now I'm stuck with this silly looking shit forever lol

Sorry about that. Using "toon" is a force of habit from too many years playing WoW.

I changed my vocation from Mage to Sorcerer.

But seeing now I can no longer use a Staff, and require the Archstave, I am boned. The Archstave from Gran Soren is 18000g to buy, and I only have 6000g atm.

So now, I am running around with no weapon, and therefore cannot use any spells hahaha.

1stStrike

Banned
Sorry about that. Using "toon" is a force of habit from too many years playing WoW.

But seeing now I can no longer use a Staff, and require the Archstave, I am boned. The Archstave from Gran Soren is 18000g to buy, and I only have 6000g atm.

So now, I am running around with no weapon, and therefore cannot use any spells hahaha.

It's free to change your vocation back - just change back, earn the cash and then buy the weapon. 12,000 gold is chump change in this game.

Astra

haha, use whatever term you want. I doubt anyone is genuinely bothered by someone using "toon".

Just switch your vocation back. It's free to switch back to a previously unlocked class.

Edit: and beaten. By 1stStrike no less. How fitting.

Why would you apologize for using a perfectly acceptable word that most people now understand to mean "player created character"? It's right there with "mob" and "npc".

Astra

Now I feel bad for slaughtering all those rabbits. =(

PIjMn.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Where does it derive from, out of interest?

As I mentioned earlier, it was used in Roger Rabbit in 1988. After that at some point MMO players started using it as a way to identify their characters. I don't think there's any real documented history to it, so knowing the exact how/when/why is fairly difficult to discern at this point.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, sold off my rusty starter gear early on only to realize later they can be upgraded to 3 stars at a HUGE expense. Is the rusty gear actually awesome at 3 stars? I still have my pawn's rusty stuff.

Ranking unlocks skills, core skills, and augments specific to that class. Changing class doesn't undo your progress with the class you changed from, and you're able to carry over your augments and compatible skills to the new class.

About as much as I want to shoot myself when someone uses the term "toon" for their created character?

I kid

Sort of...

My man!

i agree, i think it comes from WOW?.. it just sounds mad silly -__-..and word, the theme song is great.

edit: guess its older than i thought.. Ultima.. wow

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Anyone know where to dependably find that dappled ore? also .. wherever /whatever it is that I'll need for the Undulant sword?

halp! i want level 3s all over!

Your name is "The Perfect Dark", so I'll assume you actually play that game half as much as I do, and you enjoy the greatness that it is.

It seems as though you might be specifically looking for tearing and pop-in. I've been playing since release and only noticed the "Npc's not appearing fast enough" thing in Grand Soren. and only with merchant's or quest npcs sometimes. I find it hard that anyone who is actually playing the game to have fun will overly notice things like that. But I suppose that could just be certain folks

Hehe, the technical flaws are really hard to ignore (for me) but this game is fun as hell. Man sometimes (well often^^) it looks like a last gen game but the atmosphere is really great. I'm at Level 15 now and have the feeling that I've done nothing in this huge world..lol

the pop-in is hilarious though

Astra

Damn, sold off my rusty starter gear early on only to realize later they can be upgraded to 3 stars at a HUGE expense. Is the rusty gear actually awesome at 3 stars? I still have my pawn's rusty stuff.

Rusted weapons at max inflict various status effects. Poison and Torpor for the Rusted Bow and Daggers. Not sure if the other weapons inflict the same. Damage output is low, so I just keep them in my inventory, equip them and inflict the status effect, then switch back to my main weapon.

1stStrike

Banned
and there are credits. freaky end to an awesome game... wait, did i say end? O,o

I loved traveling to the capital in post-game after the credits. Especially once I came over the mountain and saw about 10
Wyverns flying through the skies.

I booked it to the gate and right as I get to the bridge and I'm like, "Phew, I'm safe" I hear something slam behind me and turn around and I'm just like OHSHIT and run into the city lol.

Damn, might be time to end the main story. I am taking down the big baddies in 20-30 seconds.

There's actually more story after the "final boss" so I recommend doing that. Plus, that battle is epic. I wish I could go back and do it again without replaying everything.

Can anyone point me to a nice little breakdown of each of the classes, or maybe just give me a description here of what they all are and what each is like?

Astra

There's actually more story after the "final boss" so I recommend doing that. Plus, that battle is epic. I wish I could go back and do it again without replaying everything.

I didn't even do very many quests, so it could be a good idea to go ahead and finish out the main story. It'll leave me a lot of quests to do on a NG+, or a fresh start. Will probably do a fresh start if there is nothing unique on a NG+ (aside from the ability to purchase Port Crystals).

Schwabe

I loved traveling to the capital in post-game after the credits. Especially once I came over the mountain and saw about 10
Wyverns flying through the skies.

I booked it to the gate and right as I get to the bridge and I'm like, "Phew, I'm safe" I hear something slam behind me and turn around and I'm just like OHSHIT and run into the city lol.

i made it to the encampment so far, checked the noticeboard, 1 new training quest, died desperately two times. heading to gran soren now. shitting my pants...

I think it's great regardless.

...but understand those people who hate it, it really is out of place.

I remember how the beginning game on and I was like "This song is pretty nice" and then the guitars came and I just burst out laughing.

It doesn't fit with anything at all.

The guitars used in the battle music for bosses though is awesome as hell.

I remember how the beginning game on and I was like "This song is pretty nice" and then the guitars came and I just burst out laughing.

It doesn't fit with anything at all.

The guitars used in the battle music for bosses though is awesome as hell.

Yeah, I was a little leery of rock guitars in a fantasy RPG at first. Then I hear those crunchy metal guitars as I'm running through a battle field, felling goblins and evading ballista bolts and cyclopes, and it all comes together to make you feel incredibly badass. I approve, though I understand why others dislike it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually, I find I'm liking how the song fits the game in a strange sense; it's reminiscent of earlier generations of fantasy anime that actually did have a western theme like Record of Lodoss War.

Those were pretty much western style orchestral music save their jpop opening and ending songs.

fallingdove

i made it to the encampment so far, checked the noticeboard, 1 new training quest, died desperately two times. heading to gran soren now. shitting my pants...

I loved the feeling of post game. I enjoyed Skyrim, but after I beat Alduin, the world didn't really care. - In DD, the world actually changes. For all of the story shortcomings that there are, I really appreciated this surprise.

So your pawn comes back from an adventure with a few paltry gifts, ~200 or so RC, and absolutely no rating or comments. What's happening here? Don't you have to rate borrowed pawns?

Maybe they give you random gifts to not make you feel bad? No clue.

Also I recommend everyone listen to the OST outside of the game, a lot of stuff going on in these songs that you just don't hear in game because you are too focused on killing shit.

At least for me anyway.

Top Bottom