• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Just a thought...
Since this game is very representative of Berserk's Golden Age arc (you know, the armor and all), if it does well, will the next game be very, I don't know, representative of the Retribution Arc?

That would be cool.

It's not just me right? It's really blatant. The Duke and Duchess, the eclipse, a very similar symbol as the brand being used as Salvations logo. It's all over the place.

Arcteryx

dragonsdogmascreensho7s733.jpg

dat
belt

Got rid of the other 2 pawns, just exploring with my mage until I beat NG+. Been pretty fun so far

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
I'm a rank 9 in Strider and I got rank 10 with Ranger last night. I literally started Assassin last night and quit lol. I'm hope'n it's a fun class but I was already missing my Longbow. >_<

Ya I can see why people don't like it, it's not that great of a class as far as cool stuff your capable of. Also I wanted to try it out before I tried the other hybrid's, which look awesome btw. I do like all the counter's as an assassin and they have some good battlefield control type stuff which is fun ( I loved the explosive launcher and the rope trap striders had, basically all I used) and I never get tired of luring a group of bandits onto my c4 charge.

I have a question for you guys though, I really want to try out some of these awesome looking spells I keep seeing pictures of, do the mystic archer/knight have some cool looking magic attacks as well? I really like the combat and don't want to switch to straight magic user if I don't have too.

1stStrike

Banned
So, had some more adventures in everall tonight. Got some new loot out of it, as well as a pair of amazing daggers. However...

Some of these boss fights are insane. When you go into a chamber it populates with a random "boss". Well, this time this is what I got in this chamber...

dragons_dogma54aj5a.jpg

Yes, that's what I walked into. A wight, a chimera and the darker version of the chimera as well as about 6 hellhounds. Needless to say, between the constant petrification spells, the fireballs from the hellhounds and the chimera's charging everyone at random it was pretty much a bust. I used 5 wakestones before I just gave up and reloaded from my save.

Talk about a nightmare.

And now here's my new outfit for my main (the female) and my pawn. The armor/Flame Skirt are really cool looking, IMO. Pretty much a matching set.

dragons_dogma4tujjy.jpg

Kyon

Banned
Right, but it also adds them to your storage. I know cuz I bought it. Is it worth it? That depends on if you care about "l337" weapons or not. Prepare to be disappointed with base stats though. The shit I have at lvl 20 which is 3-stars is better, but it won't be once I upgrade the new stuff.

oh ok thank you for the info :)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think I'm going to platinum the game. I have enough interest to go through it once more, but I guess the 10,00,000 gold trophy will take a while, along with that Hero one.

ironcreed

Banned
You guys think my pawn has a decent chance of getting hired if they're a Strider/Ranger?

I know Mages are hella popular online.

My Pawn was a Warrior and barely got any action. But tonight I switched her over to Strider and have been pulling in around 40,000 RC a pop. Oddly enough, she is way more effective as a Strider as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just a couple of pictures from my journey:

It's hard to imagine any worse position to be in than this:
yPUU2.jpg

And here's my pawn's current appearance:
8bRwj.jpg

branny

I can't decide whether to farm more gear or just go onto NG+
Me neither, but I've been farming while ruminating over the decision. :lol

Some of these boss fights are insane.
I've run into that combo twice now...it wrecked me as a Sorc (I don't even know what happened to my pawns...?). I just tried it as a Magick Archer...I ran out of stamina items and couldn't kill the last enemy because he could regenerate faster than I could hurt him alone (my pawns disintegrated again). gg Dragon's Dogma

Anteater

Man, ditched 1 pawn and the trip to bluemoon tower becomes like a day long field trip, spent like over an hour to get there clearing out all those bandits, and I didn't even explore thoroughly because it got so dark
KuGsj.gif

it's hard to protect the mages from bandits

nataku

I really hate how the knowledge chair works.

I accidentally reduced my Pawn's rate of speech in the knowledge chair and now she won't talk at all, hardly even responding to my orders. I've been in the chair a couple dozen times now and that rate of speech question won't come up anymore.

wanders

I think the best advice is to play what appeals most to you.

I played through the majority of the game with a Sorc and don't regret it at all. Some people could find it boring, but you approach battles in a totally different way with magic casters. You're vulnerable while casting and can get interrupted, but, when that bar fills up and you finally let loose, it's exhilarating. There are also more kinds of spells than just nukes to mess around with.

I don't know about other people, but my party was in dire need of a Strider/Ranger all the time. Bows are really useful for blunt attacks.

Yeah I dont get how some people think being a Sorc is boring/the weakest class. I keep coming back to it as its the most satisfying for me.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yeah I dont get how some people think being a Sorc is boring/the weakest class. I keep coming back to it as its the most satisfying for me.

Lots of charging spells.

Not a lot of climbing on things.

I don't think anybody has actually accused the class of being weak, though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
10,000,000G is nothing - just sell the Ur-Dragon drops. The Hero one will take a while, though.
Thanks, will do that.

I used Sorc for almost 40 hours. There are a bunch of augments to improve casting times, but I was really dependent on my pawns to kill some of the bigger enemies. I think it's a balanced class and definitely not overpowered; some of the enemies can just manhandle you.

Arcteryx

I really hate how the knowledge chair works.

I accidentally reduced my Pawn's rate of speech in the knowledge chair and now she won't talk at all, hardly even responding to my orders. I've been in the chair a couple dozen times now and that rate of speech question won't come up anymore.

Yea it's pretty silly. I spent probably 30 minutes just pushing those buttons over and over until it came back up again.

maomaoIYP

I've just started on magic archer after maxing out fighter, warrior, mage, sorc, and mystic knight. It feels so.....weak. Melee has no range, magic bows have no power. By far bow users are my least favourite vocations. My main pawn was doing only passably as a ranger, but completely tears stuff up as a sorc or warrior.

I've just started on magic archer after maxing out fighter, warrior, mage, sorc, and mystic knight. It feels so.....weak. Melee has no range, magic bows have no power. By far bow users are my least favourite vocations. My main pawn was doing only passably as a ranger, but completely tears stuff up as a sorc or warrior.

Upgrade to Sixfold Arrow and Exploding Rivets, the beasties drop like nothing.

Lots of charging spells.

Not a lot of climbing on things.

I don't think anybody has actually accused the class of being weak, though.

Yeah, I don't find the magic classes weak. I just find them boring as hell to play. My little archer runs fast for long distances, double jumps, climbs incredibly fast and is a killing machine with the proper buffs, which my main pawn provides.

TEJ

okay, so I just got to the gran soren yesterday, and i've been doing side quests, but how the heck do I progress to the main game?

branny

Yeah, I don't find the magic classes weak. I just find them boring as hell to play.
It definitely was a good idea to have Fighter and Strider as demo characters as I could see Mage/Sorc turning some people away.

Thinking about it, Sorcerers actually play kind of like the videogame equivalent of a jack-in-the-box. ahaha

edit: Well, a jack-in-the-box with people slapping your hand away from the crank constantly.

okay, so I just got to the gran soren yesterday, and i've been doing side quests, but how the heck do I progress to the main game?

I believe you'll be asked to go to the noble district after completing a quest in the pawn-guild area of the city. Ser Maximillian is the guy that provides the main story quests. If the gate to the noble district is closed to you, you haven't done the necessary quest(s) yet.

joe2187

Banned

The path to the main game is a bit of mess, but the know for sure just go see Ser Maximillian in the Noble quarter that should clue you in on where you need to go, Main Game quests are always given by NPCs all sidequests are on the Boards.

Is it possible to change the look of your character? When I was originally creating her she looked good but once I took her into the actual game she ended up looking like Rocky Dennis.

branny

Yes, you'll be able to change your character as much as you want provided you have the money/RC for it (barber shop, rift store).

Where do I check how long I've been playing?

And how much is there after I meet with the Duke?

I love this game but don't want to burn out at the end from too much exploring and not doing quests as I sometimes do.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is it possible to change the look of your character? When I was originally creating her she looked good but once I took her into the actual game she ended up looking like Rocky Dennis.

There's a one time use item you can buy from the man standing next to the Rift Stone in the encampment near the starting town. You need to buy it with Rift Crystals, though. I believe it costs 5,000.

EDIT: Also, Agalloch avatar = best avatar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Magic Archer does feel weak at first. I went from Strider to it, and the bow itself definitely doesn't pack as much punch. I wouldn't dismiss bow users as a whole, the Strider and Ranger bow attacks are INCREDIBLY powerful under usercontrol atleast. Magic Archer is easier to use with the aiming so they don't have as much damage output, but around vocation 5 or 6 you'll get some really good stuff. Sixfold arrow is powerful and an early ability you get, and the melee attack to light yourself and fire and leap on enemies is insanely good on chimeras, griffins, ogres, etc. They're extremely versatile with range, multiple ranged crowd control attacks, multiple melee crowd control attacks, and more.

They seem to really suck on golems, though I've only fought one and might not have been equipped well for it.

Where do I check how long I've been playing?

And how much is there after I meet with the Duke?

I love this game but don't want to burn out at the end from too much exploring and not doing quests as I sometimes do.

1.) Press start and go to the last tab in the History menu.

2.) Uh, about halfway through?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone want an Amazon pre-order weapons pack code for the PS3 version? I'm like Lv. 46 so it's not going to do me any good. But if anyone's just starting out, it might be of a little help.

Top Bottom