• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

joe2187

Banned
The story is self contained within the quest and what you do.

Like the Wyrm Hunt quest. They give you more insight as to what you are and what you are doing.

Which is the problem, most people I know often ignore the main story for the majority of the game and focus on sidequests before tackling the game, The sidequests in this game are largely uninspired, they encourage you to travel which is the main draw of the game but in terms of atmosphere, characters and plot it's entirely shallow.

What are some clothes for the torso and legs with good/decent stats that will not make my female characters look like they work at the local Gran Soren brothel?

edit: I currently have dragonleather vest which is good (just need another one for my pawn, or something better) and short pants on my arisen, but I have no idea where I got those and there are probably better pants lookswise and statswise somewhere.

joe2187

Banned
What are some clothes for the torso and legs with good/decent stats that will not make my female characters look like they work at the local Gran Soren brothel?

I'm going to change my features on my pawn, dress her up like a whore and see how well it works.

cad-20120425-2a694.png

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
How many times am I going to lose a pawn just by walking through Bluemoon Tower? Is it really that hard to walk without falling somewhere? Holy shit.

I'm about to start carrying these idiots.

It's the part of the game where the AI seems to have the most difficulty with pathing. When I reached the top and
killed the griffin
I was taking in the view when all three of my pawns decided they just couldn't bring themselves to go on and walked off the edge simultaneously.

It was pretty funny on its own, but funnier still when their reaction to falling from the towers pinnacle into the water far, far below was to simply say "Ugh, I'm soaked!"

Man, that was just the start of their problems.

edit: I currently have dragonleather vest which is good (just need another one for my pawn, or something better) and short pants on my arisen, but I have no idea where I got those and there are probably better pants lookswise and statswise somewhere.

The Swordsman and Hawk shirt and pants look fine on female characters and have decent stats. The Alchemickal Vest is quite nice and is what I've got my pawn wearing until I can get another suit of Dragonleather for her in NG+, though I'm not entirely sure where I found it.

The game falls into the habit of making clothes equipped to female characters turn into bikinis pretty hard towards the end. It's pretty sophomoric all on its own, but it's all the more egregious with how those chainmail bikinis look incredibly stupid when paired with the ultimate armor.

JaxJag

Banned
I have so many games to play, Witcher, Ghost Recon, Minecraft, Max Payne III etc. But Dragon's Dogma has taken me away from all those. I'm surprised by how much i'm enjoying it, really hope it does well enough for a sequel.

Why on Gransys do people outfit their pawns with offensive magic and then give them the guardian trait? I just wasted another 15K RC on another shitty mage pawn. I just wish there was a way to see their inclination before you picked them.

tbh they just probably don't know about the whole inclination deal. and you can see it, summon them to the rift, talk to them and select View Details, you'll find it in there.

News Bot

Banned
8-4 did an excellent job with the localization. It's a pity they're not working on Resident Evil, which hasn't had a single good translation in 16 years.

Glad to see the game selling well. I wonder what the worldwide numbers are like...

Vamphuntr

Currently level 43. I just did the (main story?)mission where you
Beat the Griffin at the top of the tower
. Also beat some random dragon in a wood which upgraded my bracers or something. A lot of things aren't properly explained in the game :S

My main annoyances with the game so far are that there are few enemy types and that it recycles areas a lot.

Lucent

Be thankful that this game didn't have giant spiders in it. I hate giant spiders and RPG's seem to love to have them! D:

lol. They were like "whoa!" in Resident Evil. Then they did the remake and I was like "oh wtf?" lol. I'm so glad baby spiders don't really come out of spider butts when you kill said spiders in real life...

...right? =(

Anteater

Currently level 43. I just did the (main story?)mission where you
Beat the Griffin at the top of the tower
. Also beat some random dragon in a wood which upgraded my bracers or something. A lot of things aren't properly explained in the game :S

My main annoyances with the game so far are that there are few enemy types and that it recycles areas a lot.

Yeah, the map could've been designed better, by better I mean they could expand it a little and fit different level enemies in, so you have something new to fight everytime you try a new route, but I think the whole "omg I got one shotted in a newb area!" complaint would be higher than it already is, but I feel that once I reached lvl20, there were nothing I couldn't take down and the tension was just kind of gone unless I'm to restrict myself with pawns usage.

ixix

Be thankful that this game didn't have giant spiders in it. I hate giant spiders and RPG's seem to love to have them! D:

A giant spider enemy lurking in the caves and forests would have been amazing.

So many legs to climb on.

Vamphuntr

Yeah, the map could've been designed better, by better I mean they could expand it a little and fit different level enemies in, so you have something new to fight everytime you try a new route, but I think the whole "omg I got one shotted in a newb area!" complaint would be higher than it already is, but I feel that once I reached lvl20, there were nothing I couldn't take down and the tension was just kind of gone unless I'm to restrict myself with pawns usage.

They do somewhat restrict areas a bit. Some are forts or Way Castles are locked early on until you do some specific story missions. Unfortunately there aren't that much new enemies behind them.

I will agree with the level 20 threshold you talked about. I'm a Sorcerer and I felt really really overpowered around that part. As long as I have pawns to act as human shields, I feel pretty safe.

I'm enjoying this a lot and a sequel could definitely iron out some of the issues I have with the game.

Dresden

Tried ranger for a while and I just don't dig it. Range in this game just feels so passive although tenfold flurry is pretty fun to use.

Assassin with daggers and shield is the only class for me.

1stStrike

Banned
lol. They were like "whoa!" in Resident Evil. Then they did the remake and I was like "oh wtf?" lol. I'm so glad baby spiders don't really come out of spider butts when you kill said spiders in real life...

...right? =(

I could see that in DD. You kill the spider and then as it explodes dozens of baby spiders burst from its corpse and scatter in every direction.

Tried ranger for a while and I just don't dig it. Range in this game just feels so passive although tenfold flurry is pretty fun to use.

Assassin with daggers and shield is the only class for me.

Ranger has great damage, but yeah, it's pretty boring. Magick Archer is more fun imo. I also find Mystic Knight to be pretty boring too. It's just... not that exciting compared to assassin, magick archer or even strider.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I could see that in DD. You kill the spider and then as it explodes dozens of baby spiders burst from its corpse and scatter in every direction.

Ranger has great damage, but yeah, it's pretty boring. Magick Archer is more fun imo. I also find Mystic Knight to be pretty boring too. It's just... not that exciting compared to assassin, magick archer or even strider.

And then as you kill each baby spider, they explode into hundreds of mini spiders!

not really, tbh, but it's nice to use sometimes when an ogre tries to dropkick you or something.

i'm more sore about how useless Roll feels, though; double jump on the other hand is indispensable.
I kind of figured. It would be awesome if they'd just open up the secondary skill slots if you're only using one weapon.

I haven't gotten to try any of the Stridery skills because I don't want to cramp Hobo Hei's style. What's wrong with the roll?

Dresden

I kind of figured. It would be awesome if they'd just open up the secondary skill slots if you're only using one weapon.

I haven't gotten to try any of the Stridery skills because I don't want to cramp Hobo Hei's style. What's wrong with the roll?

Too slow and you don't get the invincibility frames ala Dark Souls afaik. It's faster and more intuitive to just tap jump rather than R1+jump.

NG+ is easy as hell. Capcom should've amped up enemy HP and the damage they dish out :(
Oh well, I'll just cheese through NG+ and try out different classes while completing the missions I didn't get to do.

Dresden

Not gonna bother with ng+, what I'll probably do is launch that solo Guts campaign with ranks only in Fighter and Warrior.

And I seriously hope that Capcom is planning a huge expansion for this game rather than the stupid on-disc DLC BS they're going to be releasing every week.

Could use a patch, too.

Nemesis_

So, unsure of my vocation plans right now.

Basically could someone please give me the information I need or link me there instead?

What's the benefits of staying as a normal mage, if any? Also, obviously, what are the pros and cons of switching to either a Sorceror or a Magick Archer?

Unsure where I want to go and I don't really wanna spend heaps of time unnecessarily.

Parfait

Just picked this up today

A few hours in and i'm in some dungeon some pawn guy wanted me to go into, there's an ogre that is absolutely trashing my party. Like none of my girls can handle him at all, he just spanks them one by one and doesn't even care about all the fire that's goin around on it.

Then he picks up my main pawn (a really cute girl mage i made), after knocking her out, then literally dashes out. Right down the spiral staircase. I literally stood in shock for a few seconds wondering what just happened as my pawn starts yelling rape from the darkness ahead.

The ogre kidnapped my cute pawn. I then literally chased it down and set it on fire with my mind (I'm running mage/mage soon to be sorc/magic archer). It dropped my squealing girl and hauled ass back up the dungeon and apparently committed sepukku immediately because i then got 5k exp.

Game of everything forever. This is already the best purchase of the year.

Basically could someone please give me the information I need or link me there instead?

What's the benefits of staying as a normal mage, if any? Also, obviously, what are the pros and cons of switching to either a Sorceror or a Magick Archer?

Unsure where I want to go and I don't really wanna spend heaps of time unnecessarily.
This might help you out. All stat growths are permanent.

Anteater

Each class has different stats growth as already posted, but you will probably want to switch at some point because you reach the highest rank for your class really early and it could get boring once you've played it enough

Vamphuntr

Sorcerer still has access to your former mage's elemental spells and will eventually learn more powerful spells. The major drawback is that sorcerers can't use healing magicks.

branny

I still mix up start and select 117 hours into the game, haha. Getting ready to start NG+ now. Can't wait to see what happens.

edit: ............................................................

ixix

I reached the top of Strider, but i love it SO much, and i don't know what else to do.
Maybe i'll try Ranger. :\

Ranger is, like, Super Strider. If you really like Strider moving on to Ranger or Assassin with a bow is the most direct upgrade path.

Alternately you could throw yourself a curveball and go Magick Archer. That's what I did when I maxed out Strider.

UrbanRats

Ranger is, like, Super Strider. If you really like Strider moving on to Ranger or Assassin with a bow is the most direct upgrade path.

Alternately you could throw yourself a curveball and go Magick Archer. That's what I did when I maxed out Strider.

Assassin is the logical evolution man.

Ensare it's godly, and i don't know if they have that, also Assassin wants me to go alone, according to the augments, while Ranger has more interesting ones, but no ensnare uhm. :p
Nobody said i couldn't do both, eventually.

Lucent

I reached the top of Strider, but i love it SO much, and i don't know what else to do.
Maybe i'll try Ranger. :\

You'll eff'n love the Longbow if you do go Ranger. I was a Ranger for a long time and then I went to Assassin. Miss the Longbow, but it's growing on me.

Top Bottom