• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ensare it's godly, and i don't know if they have that, also Assassin wants me to go alone, according to the augments, while Ranger has more interesting ones, but no ensnare uhm. :p
Nobody said i couldn't do both, eventually.

Losing out on Ensnare super sucks, it's true. It's the skill I missed the most by far when I left Strider behind.

Assassin's got augments for fighting solo and for fighting at night, if you don't want to give up your pawns you can just take the Bloodlust augment and embrace the darkness. The nice thing about Bloodlust is that it works indoors even though there's no difference inside caves and such at night time.

You can also just skip the Assassin's conditional power boost augments entirely, but that's kind of side-stepping the main strength of the vocation.

UrbanRats

Yeah that's why i'm interested in Ranger more and, at the moment, shields and swords don't really interest me that much so i'd be wasting the Assassin's versatility.

maomaoIYP

Finally beat the game last night, had only 2 pawns with me for the entire game, beat the game at lvl 70. The extra experience is so substantial, the pawns I were hiring for the last 10-15 levels had post game gear.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Assassin. The go it alone augments should be easy to replace if you've maxed strider and the damage output with your up close melee will blow yah mind..

edit: I also wanted to just quickly say how awesome it is/proud I am this thread is front page now for days. This game wins so hard. Love seeing it get attention - especially here.

1stStrike

Banned
There's something incredibly hilarious about going into Everfall, grabbing someone's pawn near the ledge and then throw them into it and jumping after them. Their body bounces off the ledges on the way down as they flail helplessly then vanish into the abyss.

So wrong, but oh so fun.

LProtag

Honestly, I'm pretty sure you could use all the vocations with one character and be fine stat wise. You won't have a massive attack or magick attack, but in order to face all the content the game has, you'll have enough. I was around 50 before I started a new game and I felt extremely powerful.

maomaoIYP

Honestly, I'm pretty sure you could use all the vocations with one character and be fine stat wise. You won't have a massive attack or magick attack, but in order to face all the content the game has, you'll have enough. I was around 50 before I started a new game and I felt extremely powerful.

That's actually what I'm doing. My main pawn has maxed all her vocations, while my main has maxed 6, with 1 rank more to finishing the 7th. The extra augments from different vocations help a lot, my pawn started with fighter and warrior, and their extra health and augments help her as a sorcerer immensely.

If I ever do replay the entire game from scratch though, I know exactly which vocations I don't need at all, and I can skip them accordingly.

UrbanRats

Assassin. The go it alone augments should be easy to replace if you've maxed strider and the damage output with your up close melee will blow yah mind..

edit: I also wanted to just quickly say how awesome it is/proud I am this thread is front page now for days. This game wins so hard. Love seeing it get attention - especially here.

6 str per level, holy shit higher than the Warrior? wat.

As per your edit: The core game is fucking drug in game form, it's flawless, the map feels a little small to me, with a lot of rethreading.
I wish they would concentrate their dlc policies on adding new parts of the map + monsters + loot, it would be fucking brilliant, if priced right.
Also, i miss rain/snow, but the framrate is already atrocious :p.

ironcreed

Banned
I am ready to go to the Tainted Mountain, but I called it a night. I am only level 44 as well, so will probably do a bit more questing and leveling up before I go there.

branny

Do assassin and ranger get to keep striders' ability to double jump?

An OK ending doesn't make up for hours of really bad writing and dialogue unfortunately.
Yes, it's tied to daggers so it will carry over. The same goes with the floaty thing for mages.

And I would normally agree with you about the second point, but I'm definitely willing to make an exception for Dragon's Dogma after what I just witnessed.

I'm totally speechless. Everything about that ending was perfect. The whole thing was such a deliciously meta fairy tale. And Capcom was 100% aware of this because even the credits took the form of a storybook.

Any little oddity was explained away (the thing about pawns and even the people in the game world being machinations brought into existence by the player--brilliant, even if it's just an easy way to cover your ass). Some game mechanics were integrated in the best possible ways (walking around doing nothing and being bored so ending it by killing yourself; your pawn's multiple selves coalescing at the last minute). The player ultimately being revealed as the embodiment of free will...omg. Speaking of which, you end up being "God" on several levels (bringing the game world to life; watching over it; God in the eyes of your pawn; the model that pawn lives by after inhabiting the shell you leave behind as you exit the game). Man, even creating your customized characters can be explained by this logic. I love how the story becomes what it was all along--a story about that tirelessly devoted pawn you take care of throughout the whole journey. He/She gets a bittersweet ending that's both bizarre and unforgettable, sharing it with the "person" your essence had the most effect on (highest affinity NPC). The story is about breathing the spirit of life into a perpetual world, being that spark that sets everything into motion (even if it's a motion destined to continue forever). I love the way everything so seamlessly circles around despite being readily apparent throughout the entire game. It's a cycle that exists because it's a videogame.

And is that quote in the beginning actually talking about gaming in general? Mind blown... This game's story had no right being that amazing. Wow.

I got a good taste of how powerful my main pawn is today. He got possessed during the fight with the drake and attacked me. Nice guy though - he warned me that he wasn't quite himself anymore.

Yes, it's tied to daggers so it will carry over. The same goes with the floaty thing for mages.

That's good then. I've grown accustomed to the speed and agility with which I maneuver about.

Astra

Well, that's that. The final battle was very fun, and had a great atmosphere about it. Was a little underwhelming with the difficulty, though. The boss fell pretty quickly once I started laying into it.

Onward to the post game, and then I'll probably start a fresh game.

Do assassin and ranger get to keep striders' ability to double jump?

An OK ending doesn't make up for hours of really bad writing and dialogue unfortunately.

the writing isn't bad, nor is the dialogue. i liked the story, i focused on the main quest my first playthrough and dug it all, especially the end.

Well, that's that. The final battle was very fun, and had a great atmosphere about it. Was a little underwhelming with the difficulty, though. The boss fell pretty quickly once I started laying into it.

Onward to the post game, and then I'll probably start a fresh game.

you. are. not. ready.

the writing isn't bad, nor is the dialogue. i liked the story, i focused on the main quest my first playthrough and dug it all, especially the end.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point then. I think it's horrendous. But what makes it worse is that it's repetitive. One of my complaints about Skyrim was that some of the NPCs only had about 4 or 5 ways of saying the same thing. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that many of the NPCs in DD have one thing only, and they say it every damn time you interact with them. Selling, buying, staying at an inn is painful now. Yeah yeah yeah, weapons dealer, I get that you've got the best shit in the land. Thanks.

Dresden

Man, lol. Just lost my character because my bro started a new game without realizing that DD has an ass backwards save system.

I'm totally speechless. Everything about that ending was perfect. The whole thing was such a deliciously meta fairy tale. And Capcom was 100% aware of this because even the credits took the form of a storybook.

Any little oddity was explained away (the thing about pawns and even the people in the game world being machinations brought into existence by the player--brilliant, even if it's just an easy way to cover your ass). Some game mechanics were integrated in the best possible ways (walking around doing nothing and being bored so ending it by killing yourself; your pawn's multiple selves coalescing at the last minute). The player ultimately being revealed as the embodiment of free will...omg. Speaking of which, you end up being "God" on several levels (bringing the game world to life; watching over it; God in the eyes of your pawn; the model that pawn lives by after inhabiting the shell you leave behind as you exit the game). Man, even creating your customized characters can be explained by this logic. I love how the story becomes what it was all along--a story about that tirelessly devoted pawn you take care of throughout the whole journey. He/She gets a bittersweet ending that's both bizarre and unforgettable, sharing it with the "person" your essence had the most effect on (highest affinity NPC). The story is about breathing the spirit of life into a perpetual world, being that spark that sets everything into motion (even if it's a motion destined to continue forever). I love the way everything so seamlessly circles around despite being readily apparent throughout the entire game. It's a cycle that exists because it's a videogame.

And is that quote in the beginning actually talking about gaming in general? Mind blown... This game's story had no right to be that amazing. Wow.

Agreed and understood. The ending was brilliant and Capcom did indeed fire on all cylinders at the end. I really wasn't expecting that after going through a tame narrative, but everything about the game world and its mechanics fit into the story very nicely. Makes me wonder how they're going to set up for Dragon's Dogma 2 if there is one.

Man, lol. Just lost my character because my bro started a new game without realizing that DD has an ass backwards save system.

Your brother logs in using your account? I guess that's easier to do on PS3 than on 360. On 360 my wife and daughter each know to log in using their own IDs. That sucks for you though. I'm not sure I'd be able to replay what I've already done. A lot of it was fun, but getting to the fun parts was often tedious and not something I'd cherish repeating.

He just wanted to try the game, or something; my ps3.

At least it was only like 20 hours for me so I'm not too crushed by it. If I'd beaten the game or something, though, I probably won't play again.

That's still a lot to lose. Condolences on that. I'd like to hear the developer's reasoning behind such a restrictive save-game method. It's really terrible. I've been saving to the cloud every couple of days to make sure I never lose too much if something bad ever does happen, but its not a worry most games I play give me.

Arcteryx

Anyone know who sells Laurel Circlets? I can't find one at all :(

Switching my pawn to Sorcery was a GREAT idea. For some reason she's actually contributing(instead of healing occasionally and enchanting at the wrong times).

dragonsdogmascreenshox2j8u.jpg

Anyone know who sells Laurel Circlets? I can't find one at all :(

Switching my pawn to Sorcery was a GREAT idea. For some reason she's actually contributing(instead of healing occasionally and enchanting at the wrong times).

Hmm, my mage pawn has no attack skills equipped, but when everyone has an enchant and doesn't need healing she frequently attacks with her staff. Not that it does much, but watching her try to be useful makes me happy.

Ranger is, like, Super Strider. If you really like Strider moving on to Ranger or Assassin with a bow is the most direct upgrade path.

Alternately you could throw yourself a curveball and go Magick Archer. That's what I did when I maxed out Strider.

I loved the Strider class, but found the Ranger to lack the high mobility. I forget why I didn't like Assassin. I ended switching to Magick Archer and it's basically a Strider with magic, which makes it a seriously awesome class. Explosive Bolt is such a blast, no pun intended. :p

Noaloha

I was doing one of the four Maximilian quests last night, working my way through some woods.

I happen upon the Drake which I've seen people mentioning. The party had hardly any healing/buffing potions, having been a little overzealous earlier when sending supplies back to the inn from the Rest Camp. We're all Lv32/33, Sorceror (me), Warrior (buddy), Strider, Mage.

Fuck me that Drake is a nightmarish fight. Tried five times and couldn't escape getting one-shotted at some point when the thing turned its attention on me and I wasn't on the ball enough. Entirely my fault -- I've not yet had a fight where I needed to pay so much attention to Stamina management and I was still adjusting. Plus, as a Sorceror, my spell-set (and the ability set of the party in general actually) feels entirely sub-optimal. Plus plus, you know, Lv32 -- I have a hunch we're a little underlevelled for this 8-bar bastard. I refuse (yet, at least) to head back to camp and rejiggle things though. I'm gonna take the sucker, even if its through the brute cosmic force of endless retries.

I will say this:

The spell Bolide, at night, especially against a suitably monstrous enemy, may very well be the single greatest looking and feeling thing in video games. Seriously. The game nailed that thing.

wanders

The spell Bolide, at night, especially against a suitably monstrous enemy, may very well be the single greatest looking and feeling thing in video games. Seriously. The game nailed that thing.

YESSSSSS. I feel like a god after casting it at night.

Astra

I still mix up start and select 117 hours into the game, haha. Getting ready to start NG+ now. Can't wait to see what happens.

edit: ............................................................

I still do this, too! Freaking annoying, man. hahaha.

I got so much equipment in my storage - I think I'll gift some of it to any PSN GAF'ers. Got lots of Ur-Dragon loot and other stuff I picked up post-game at Everfall. I'll post a list of what I got to give out for free a little later today. I know I have a couple of Dwells-in-Light Longswords, Heaven's Key Daggers and Ascalon Swords. I've got an extra set of Abyssinal armor that's Dragon Forged as well.

Atruvius

I got so much equipment in my storage - I think I'll gift some of it to any PSN GAF'ers. Got lots of Ur-Dragon loot and other stuff I picked up post-game at Everfall. I'll post a list of what I got to give out for free a little later today. I know I have a couple of Dwells-in-Light Longswords, Heaven's Key Daggers and Ascalon Swords. I've got an extra set of Abyssinal armor that's Dragon Forged as well.

I wouldn't mind getting the daggers. :) I have killed Ur-Dragon twice but no daggers dropped for me.

Kevtones

Pulled an all-nighter at level 12 trying to find that early Tome in the Bandit hideout. Got hit by an unapproachable cliff right beside it just as dark set in and I decided to make the long/way dubious trek back to Gran Soren....

First try I got hit by Tiger/Snake and His Dude team. Died.

3 more of these tries into a flee and I reached an Ogre that I defeated only to have The Dude show up along with a wolf party. I took him down to 5% health (with my health full) and some side-cut of his killed me in one hit.

Made it back to Gran Soren at dawn with good saving technique and safe river crossing (which was honestly one of the creepier moments I've experienced in recent gaming).

Game captures WILDERNESS so fucking well. It was literally thrilling to navigate those last bits towards Gran Soren. So many hobgoblins, weird cloak dudes... The combination of stealth/immersion/don't want any more shit just let me rest! - it was thrilling.

GOTY

Alej

Banned
Ok guys, i have questions about NG+ and vocations:
1) Is the vocation's rank kept when we get to NG+? (so if i have a fighter maxed out, will it be maxed out in NG+ too?)
2) At the beginning of NG+, when we have to choose our vocation (just after awaking in Cassardis), can we choose advanced and hybrid vocations directly, unlocken or not? (it goes with the first question, i think)
3) I would have love to go with only one vocation by game (and so engaging in another only at a NG+ then ++... etc), is it a good idea and feasible? I find that for the replayability, i would get i pretty different gameplay per game (this game finest point isn't that one vocation = one gameplay), furthermore it would make NG+ harder given that IIRC mobs don't seem to be boosted in NG+.

Top Bottom