• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

So what level are you guys in
postgame
?
I'm 41 now, still doing sidequest stuff but hearing about some of this loot makes me want to hurry up and finish.

1stStrike

Banned
postgame
?
I'm 41 now, still doing sidequest stuff but hearing about some of this loot makes me want to hurry up and finish.

I'm level 68 at the moment. Killed the Ur-Dragon and all the post-game bosses/enemies at this point.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The line "There master, griffins!" always make me fear that there's going to be a point where I have to fight multiple griffins at once.

As if two golems at once wasn't bad enough...

Ah, animal dung...a deer, perhaps?

And being a Ranger with Tenfold Arrow makes Golems about as threatening as Hobgoblins. Do it right and it won't get a single chance to attack before it seizes up.

The line "There master, griffins!" always make me fear that there's going to be a point where I have to fight multiple griffins at once.

As if two golems at once wasn't bad enough...

I would actually love that, I only fought 2 griffins in total on my first playthrough.

Speaking of that, I've read in a few places that people fought one on top of Bluemoon Tower. Is that a quest? Anyone know how to get it? Completely missed that as well.

Salaadin

I would actually love that, I only fought 2 griffins in total on my first playthrough.

Speaking of that, I've read in a few places that people fought one on top of Bluemoon Tower. Is that a quest? Anyone know how to get it? Completely missed that as well.

I think its one of the required story missions. You start out in the field and it flies off to Bluemoon.

orion434

I lost Reynard... he is not any places he is listed to be. I tried the Great Wall, Rest Camp, Gran Soren, the Encampment & Cassardis. I have all Journal Entries for him and it's the final quest I need to be The Hero! Where is this bastard?

I think its one of the required story missions. You start out in the field and it flies off to Bluemoon.

That's what I was thinking, but I killed that thing as soon as I saw it. I was level 50 then so maybe I was overpowered? The only time I went there for a story quest was to fight the cult guy.

Salaadin

That's what I was thinking, but I killed that thing as soon as I saw it. I was level 50 then so maybe I was overpowered? The only time I went there for a story quest was to fight the cult guy.

Must be. I was maybe 20ish when I did it and that thing took off running when I got him to 50%.

The road splits here. All roads lead to Gran Soren. The road splits here. GOBLINS! Masterworks all. The road splits here. GOBLINS!

Makes you wonder if the devs bothered to play their own game. "Nah, people will enjoy hearing the same dialogue over and over and over for 40 hours. They like that sort of thing."

LProtag

It's gotten to the point where I know the specific locations that a pawn is going to say an exact phrase.

And I kinda love how campy that is.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
methinks Capcom should commission new catch phrases.

I still think I will try to end up with Mercedes if possible.

imagine that one repeated a thousand times by a large warrior with the deepest voice while you look for that stupid snakeskin purse.

I immediately dump any and every pawn I get that has that voice. The repeated dialogue is bad enough, but hearing it with that voice is just too much. And I throw in some nice rotten fruit as a parting gift.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
imagine that one repeated a thousand times by a large warrior with the deepest voice while you look for that stupid snakeskin purse.

Haha, yeah. I'm really regretting giving my pawn that stupid Andre the Giant voice. It seemed fitting at first, but goddamn it gets annoying when he won't shut up.

I immediately dump any and every pawn I get that has that voice. The repeated dialogue is bad enough, but hearing it with that voice is just too much. And I throw in some nice rotten fruit as a parting gift.

I'm thinking of making my main pawn a tiny, squeaky-voiced Ranger in NG+. Would that be more or less annoying than Andre the Giant?

joe2187

Banned
after playing this game so long, I just noticed, that you have an option as the last tab to sell stuff from your item storage directly.

*head assplodes*

oh god. the
post game
stuff is like wtf?!

just got creamed by plebe world monsters. And then fought that beholder? Died.

Dragons Dogma is easily my GOTY 2012. That last boss battle was just all shades of insane with fantastic voice acting for that dragon. Incredible visuals.

creid

For some reason none of the repeated lines really bother me except the Black Cat proprietor's "Surely you'll find aught you need" because it really drives home how goddamn much I have to hear the word 'aught' in this game.

fuuuuuuuu... I also learned recently that I can use the hundred kiss move when I mount enemies with my Dagger class characters.
Oh geez, in 40 hours of using daggers I never knew this...

Schwabe

Fought my first Archydra
in the Everfall
. Fight was the stuff of legends.

Felt so good getting my revenge against an
Evil Eye
. 14 Wakestones now...6 more to go.

Found the Savage Fang longbow in a random chest. Yes. Top of my game.

i cheated this fight xD hdyra sucks balls multiple at the same time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYIWcnkGLyk

So I was fighting the Ur-dragon and he just up and flies away...

What gives bro...

the guide says it flies away after 8min, no matter how much damage you have done.

postgame
?

i entered the final battle with level 55, so entered postgame with 57 and started NG+ with level 86 ...

"They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong."

The most irritating sound clip I've ever heard.

yep... its a love-hate relationship with caxton...

endgame-spoiler, real endgame, after postgame...
if you sit on the seneschalt throne after freeing savann, you can get invisible to cassardis and gran soren. the first thin i did. i shot two people at gran soren until they died. first the screaming guy "'eer 'eer" than caxton... then i went into NG+ xD

fuuuuuuuu... I also learned recently that I can use the hundred kiss move when I mount enemies with my Dagger class characters.

how did i miss this.....

yea, it doesn't sound right. i think they went the cheap way and just altered the same guy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So has anyone else noticed that at least half of all male pawns sound like they're voiced by D.C. Douglas?

Because I keep hearing Wesker when they talk and it's sorta weirding me out.

Does everyone know you can fire arrows while jumping?

Do a backwards double-jump and fire an arrow in mid-air, feels good.

Hell yeah you can, and I was happy the first time I double jumped off a rock and started firing on the way down. The controls in the game are really good, with my only big complaint being that you shouldnt give me double jump and then not let me exploit it by saving the 2nd jump for when I'm about to smash into the ground.

joe2187

Banned
Chamber of Sorrow and Chamber of Woe really live up their names...

It's overwhelming, I'm level 62 and all I want to do is run and hide.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Does everyone know you can fire arrows while jumping?

Do a backwards double-jump and fire an arrow in mid-air, feels good.

Was practicing this back in the demo for days... You can do almost anything in the air.

climb up cyclops... mount face and gouge till bloody ... press jump and tag said cyclops in the face with an explosive arrow on the way down. feels... so ... gud.

This game.. more than any other RPG i've ever played makes me feel GOOD about being a fucking boss while at the same time requiring that I pay attention and continue to PLAY WELL .. which is an amazing thing in an rpg. Seriously this is GOTY stuff for me. Talking to my wife the other day about all of this I said to her that I hadn't had this much fun with a game and hadn't planned to spend as much time with a game at this level since the last GTA came out ..

she straight up says "Whoa... are you serious? It's that good then?"

Yes, love. It's that fucking good.

Chamber of Sorrow and Chamber of Woe really live up their names...

It's overwhelming, I'm level 62 and all I want to do is run and hide.

I went through them last night but I forgot what I fought...what's giving you trouble?

Was practicing this back in the demo for days... You can do almost anything in the air.

climb up cyclops... mount face and gouge till bloody ... press jump and tag said cyclops in the face with an explosive arrow on the way down. feels... so ... gud.

This game.. more than any other RPG i've ever played makes me feel GOOD about being a fucking boss while at the same time requiring that I pay attention and continue to PLAY WELL .. which is an amazing thing in an rpg. Seriously this is GOTY stuff for me. Talking to my wife the other day about all of this I said to her that I hadn't had this much fun with a game and hadn't planned to spend as much time with a game at this level since the last GTA came out ..

she straight up says "Whoa... are you serious? It's that good then?"

Yes, love. It's that fucking good.
That's the spirit. The only people who are going to count DD as their GOTY are going to be this thread's regulars, but that doesn't mean we won't be right.

creid

yea, it doesn't sound right. i think they went the cheap way and just altered the same guy.
I don't remember where I read it, but apparently there are only 2 voices per gender - the other 4 are just pitched up and pitched down versions.

Any tips for fighting a cockatrice? I ran into my first one last night, and all of my pawns were eventually petrified, so I had to solo it. Silent Softener (or whatever it's called) seems to only act on me, and I know the pawns aren't smart enough to go a whole fight without getting petrified.

joe2187

Banned
I went through them last night but I forgot what I fought...what's giving you trouble?

Woe spawns a very powerful wight, loads of giant undead and skeleton lords, and hellhouonds until you kill the wight, overall very scary.

The sorrow chamber spawns the evil eye, hellhounds, grimgoblins and the eye's tentacles endlessly, I was confused on where to exit since I kept going in circles and the tentacles kept wrecking my shit...I tried to run the fuck out but I ended up saying FUCK THIS and using a ferry stone.

Woe spawns a very powerful wight, loads of giant undead and skeleton lords, and hellhouonds until you kill the wight, overall very scary.

The sorrow chamber spawns the evil eye, hellhounds, grimgoblins and the eye's tentacles endlessly, I was confused on where to exit since I kept going in circles and the tentacles kept wrecking my shit...I tried to run the fuck out but I ended up saying FUCK THIS and using a ferry stone.

Hmm. I guess the only advice I can offer is to take your time and try and draw individual enemies away from their groups. The Chamber of Sorrow was very slow-going for me.

You're right about one thing, though - run from the tentacles whenever possible. Avoid getting bogged down in pointless fights. When it comes to the Wights, they can be very easy depending on vocation. If you have a bow their spellcasting is very easily interrupted.

EekTheKat

Some of the Assassin animations are just brutal. Totally worth it to level up that vocation and go deep into daggers on this one.

Some of the sword ones are pretty good too - though I haven't found a set that works well together for my Assassin.

Dresden

Easy kill is really rad lookin'.

I went full fighter - warrior this time, used the moldy carrot trick to generate a million gold in Cassardis, and in two hours hit level 17 and grabbed the full Swordsman's set.

Some of the Assassin animations are just brutal. Totally worth it to level up that vocation and go deep into daggers on this one.

Some of the sword ones are pretty good too - though I haven't found a set that works well together for my Assassin.

Burst Strike
Powder Charge
Dire Gouge

So awesome :D

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is the most SaGa-ish game in a long while, quests are hidden away from normal play, quests have some kind of timer, maybe story trigger; too bad about the overall look, but the french setting is a welcome change.

I almost want to restart the game and do the quests I missed.

Same here. I keep getting Saga vibes while playing this fantastic game...If only SE would make a Saga game for consoles again (or ever). The quests designs and the way they expired after certain points in the storyline feels very Romancing Saga (and Japanese in general)

White Man

Are the beginning hours of the game very representative of the rest of the game? I'm finding it kind of bland or mediocre, but I've only put like 8 to 10 hours in.

Are the beginning hours of the game very representative of the rest of the game? I'm finding it kind of bland or mediocre, but I've only put like 8 to 10 hours in.

Not in the least, no. The game explodes once you reach Gran Soren and start encountering the more dangerous boss creatures.

Depends on what you've accomplished in those 10 hours. Generally, though, I would assume you've pretty much seen the game.

Top Bottom