• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Arcteryx

Are the beginning hours of the game very representative of the rest of the game? I'm finding it kind of bland or mediocre, but I've only put like 8 to 10 hours in.

I would say no. The beginning(at least the backtracking parts) is really boring, but it opens up once you reach the city.

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently there are only 2 voices per gender - the other 4 are just pitched up and pitched down versions.

Any tips for fighting a cockatrice? I ran into my first one last night, and all of my pawns were eventually petrified, so I had to solo it. Silent Softener (or whatever it's called) seems to only act on me, and I know the pawns aren't smart enough to go a whole fight without getting petrified.
If you give your pawns curatives then use the Help command, they'll use them. The item merchant in Gran Soren also sells party-wide curatives, though they're quite pricey(10x normal).

Salaadin

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently there are only 2 voices per gender - the other 4 are just pitched up and pitched down versions.

Any tips for fighting a cockatrice? I ran into my first one last night, and all of my pawns were eventually petrified, so I had to solo it. Silent Softener (or whatever it's called) seems to only act on me, and I know the pawns aren't smart enough to go a whole fight without getting petrified.

Pretty sure their neck is the weak point. You can see it bulge when they prepare a shot of petrification juice. Whack the shit of it.

Ive seen some people say that you can completely kill its petrify ability but Im not sure how to do that.

This has probably been covered a million times by now, but what exactly carries over in NG+? Just about everything? Level, items, vocation level? Do any new enemies or quests unlock?

eXistor

Are the beginning hours of the game very representative of the rest of the game? I'm finding it kind of bland or mediocre, but I've only put like 8 to 10 hours in.

I'd say yes actually. If you still find it bland after 10-ish hours I doubt you're gonna be impressed with the rest of the game. It does get better, but it's not like it becomes a different game all of a sudden.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
At like level 18 I got some sword worth 100k, should I keep it? I cannot use it as bow/dagger guy and my Pawn is a mage.

At like level 18 I got some sword worth 100k, should I keep it? I cannot use it as bow/dagger guy and my Pawn is a mage.
That sword is so dumb. I didn't find an upgrade until I beat the game. Sell it and forget it ever existed.

Wow.. I feel like a complete dumbass. Never knew this lol.
Thanks
No problemo. There's a lot of little mechanics in this game that you would never know about without stumbling on them by accident.

Not in the least, no. The game explodes once you reach Gran Soren and start encountering the more dangerous boss creatures.

I disagree. I think it has a empty, bland feel that only evolves into more emptiness and blandness. Despite this, I still like the game, but it feels like a lot of miss opportunities everywhere. It sure is big, though.

joe2187

Banned
I disagree. I think it has a empty, bland feel that only evolves into more emptiness and blandness. Despite this, I still like the game, but it feels like a lot of miss opportunities everywhere. It sure is big, though.

This is true, and it's also what I was talking about previously, Sidequests are what give games like this it's personality...There is really nothing original or developed to the sidequests beyond encouraging you to explore, any of the interesting sidequests there are terribly muddled around and time sensitive that you will often miss the first time around. The world feels shallow because of that, besides some 2-3 areas of interest in the world, It's nothing terribly interesting about the architecture of the story behind it.

I will say the game definitely ramps up during story missions, endgame quests and the post game is so spectacular it's more than made up for my issues with that part of the game.

Dresden

So I play a warrior now, and . . . escape slash seems to have invincibility frames. I can time it to nullify enemy attacks, which is huge for the warrior. Also made them a lot more fun.

Not using any pawn other than my main pawn now. Also hitting levels extremely quickly now, hit 20 in a very short period of time.

Schwabe

Does everything carry over? I mean, not current quest progress but time played, etc?
questsw5kw2.png

generala7k5n.png

i am actually a very lucky guy. my char is a mage in NG+, still learning ... but i thought, let's touch the riftstone to the Ur-Dragon, just for fun. Went in, killed it (9th for me, gen 47) xD all gear dragonforged. the game loves me!

How awesome does the armor get in this game? Its one of my favorite aspects of MH and i hope Capcom carried some of their awesome design genes over.

Is there a gallery anywhere?

edgefusion

I just watched the end credits roll and it turns out my main character is a pedophile, so uhh.....yeah.
Apparently I had the affinity with the snobby little brat Symone

Talking to my wife the other day about all of this I said to her that I hadn't had this much fun with a game and hadn't planned to spend as much time with a game at this level since the last GTA came out ..

she straight up says "Whoa... are you serious? It's that good then?"

Yes, love. It's that fucking good.

i had the same exchange with my cat.. except he just blinked slowly, then turned his back to me.

foreveralone.gif

I just watched the end credits roll and it turns out my main character is a pedophile, so uhh.....yeah.
Apparently I had the affinity with the snobby little brat Symone

I really wished they fleshed out the "romance" element in this game a bit more, else removed it entirely. It's a fun little bonus when it works, but when it doesn't it can seriously fuck up an otherwise climactic moment.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So i meant to say something about this mission last night but I got too into hunting for ambushes ... - Mercedes spoilers -
Her mission where she has a duel with that Julien (?) guy was fucking harsh! :D He tore her up something fierce .. i was amped and so ready to gut that idiot the entire time and then he just walks away. I was kind of meh about it until Mercedes has her INCREDIBLY AWKWARD stare at the floor moment... not a word spoken... tanding next to this tireless assassin with no emotions who could barely care less about her trivial life bullshit. So hilarious. Then I talk to her on my way out to see if she is still mopey and she tells me that she'll never really be a warrior but when she returns she will make sure she is a Woman who can be of USE to me?? ... I said gawt damn. That dude did a serious number on her!! HAHA!

Honestly.. i'm not really having any qualms with the story in the game so far. And i have yet to see this amazing ending/twist stuff go down. Lovin every minute.

So i meant to say something about this mission last night but I got too into hunting for ambushes ... - Mercedes spoilers -
Her mission where she has a duel with that Julien (?) guy was fucking harsh! :D He tore her up something fierce .. i was amped and so ready to gut that idiot the entire time and then he just walks away. I was kind of meh about it until Mercedes has her INCREDIBLY AWKWARD stare at the floor moment... not a word spoken... tanding next to this tireless assassin with no emotions who could barely care less about her trivial life bullshit. So hilarious. Then I talk to her on my way out to see if she is still mopey and she tells me that she'll never really be a warrior but when she returns she will make sure she is a Woman who can be of USE to me?? ... I said gawt damn. That dude did a serious number on her!! HAHA!

Honestly.. i'm not really having any qualms with the story in the game so far. And i have yet to see this amazing ending/twist stuff go down. Lovin every minute.

Apparently you can just
kill Julien during their duel
. I didn't, so I don't know how that plays out.

Yeah Julien was super harsh on her.

Every time he said something the only thing I could say was "Dayum."

Dave1988

This reminds me: did anyone datamine DD's files to see if there's anything of substance that Crapcom is gonna nickle and dime us for?

joe2187

Banned
Apparently you can just
kill Julien during their duel
. I didn't, so I don't know how that plays out.

If you interfere,
Julien is even more scathing to her, even in his dying breath he still manages to tear down poor mercedes self confidence, he comends you on being a blithering hero for "The people" while mercedes says the same thing, only instead she promises to continue training and become a true knight, and leaves forever.

Arcteryx

This reminds me: did anyone datamine DD's files to see if there's anything of substance that Crapcom is gonna nickle and dime us for?

Lots of weapon/armor dlc, and most likely some unlocked areas of the map as well(just assuming from the "greyed" out areas).

Grisby

Lots of weapon/armor dlc, and most likely some unlocked areas of the map as well(just assuming from the "greyed" out areas).
That's kind of pissing me off as I would have liked a steadier stream of equipment/weapons. I was thinking about lowering some stats just to get a different visual look.

Also, last night I got hit with three of those DLC notice pop-ups at the bottom. I was all,"Alright Capcom now your pushing it."

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If you interfere,
Julien is even more scathing to her, even in his dying breath he still manages to tear down poor mercedes self confidence, he comends you on being a blithering hero for "The people" while mercedes says the same thing, only instead she promises to continue training and become a true knight, and leaves forever.

Mercedes calls you a blithering hero? Or just commends you for being a badass and gets all down in the gutters on herself for being so weak? And I'm assuming that since you said "leaves forever" she will eventually return in my game since I did not interfere with the fight?

So I haven't seen the shops in Gran Soren get new equipment in forever.

Is the rest of my equipment just going to be drops or is there a certain story point where this happens?

Mercedes calls you a blithering hero? Or just commends you for being a badass and gets all down in the gutters on herself for being so weak? And I'm assuming that since you said "leaves forever" she will eventually return in my game since I did not interfere with the fight?

As far as I can tell, you never see either of them again.
Though perhaps if you got one of them as your "romance" option...

joe2187

Banned

I guess I worded it wrong, mercedes says the same thing if you dont interfere, same dialogue with a different bit at the end, julien is the one saying all the assholish stuff.

Dresden

Whoa whoa! Moldy carrot trick? Gimme details!

Lola in Cassardis sells carrots for like 67 gold each, you just buy as many as you can, go rest in the inn for three days, and when they turn moldy she'll buy them for like 150 each. :lol

So just load up your pawns and yourself and do it a few times and bam, million gold to start.

Lola in Cassardis sells carrots for like 67 gold each, you just buy as many as you can, go rest in the inn for three days, and when they turn moldy she'll buy them for like 150 each. :lol

So just load up your pawns and yourself and do it a few times and bam, million gold to start.
Awesome I'm trying this next time I get on. Thanks alot. Is there an Inn in Cassardis? I can't remember.

Top Bottom