• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Just updated my pawn. Casca from Berserk. She will guard you and you pawns and acts like a tank calling enemies to her. She has the extra health and extra stamina and soon she will take less damage from hits and magic once I get playing in the next couple days.

Xbox - BabaIu
Pawn - Casca
Level - around 35 i think
Vocation - Fighter

I can't believe how hard it is to take pictures but these are from my phone. The camera makes the pawns move around out of the way and I dont have a facebook.

She is constantly being updated to look more like casca as armor becomes available and new skills and such so if you do use her update her every few days.

RUUvQ.jpg

DiDQB.jpg

YkgAb.jpg

ArChJ.jpg
She's beautiful..MANTEARS.

Vamphuntr

It's based on who likes you the most, so if you do a lot of quests/give gifts to a particular NPC that will raise their affinity with you. If it's any consolation my character turned out to be a pedophile and got the 10 year old Symone.

The Ur-Dragon is reeeeal hard to do noticeable damage to and you have to hit it on its weak-spots. I was battering it as a Magick Knight and doing no real damage to it for the whole fight. I think you just have to be real goddamn powerful.

Haha about the spoilered stuff. I much prefer who I ended up with ;P. Thanks for the Dragon info. I guess that would explain why his life bar wasn't really moving.

zsswimmer

I got ambushed by a dragon somewhere out in the wild.... fuck that was scary. Couldnt see anything but just kept wearing some wings and when it finally landed I about shit my pants. Decided to run, thing was just tearing up my party.

Anteater

The performance of this game is really weird, sometimes it runs smoothly but sometimes it feels hella choppy.

It's not like I'm exploring new areas every other hour so something weird is going on.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They do. They actually do. :(

Oh god, what the actual fuck, Capcom. :lol

I can see a lot of hilarity coming out of the affinity thing if you really can get ANYONE as your "favorite". Maybe I should try for Fournival on my next playthrough or something, just for laughs. :lol

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is there any good reason to switched my maxed vocation Mage pawn to a sorcerer? It strips all here good spells and make her start in near nobbie mode. Then people will not use here online as well. I like her as my support mage with healing, but am I missing something positive about switching vocations?

Dresden

Is there any good reason to switched my maxed vocation Mage pawn to a sorcerer? It strips all here good spells and make her start in near nobbie mode. Then people will not use here online as well. I like her as my support mage with healing, but am I missing something positive about switching vocations?

Unlocking new augments and getting the better stat growth as a sorceror. That's about it.

Currently deciding whether I should roll with a Mystic Knight for NG+ or become a Sorceror. I understand that Mystic Knights have a great deal of raw power, but I'm not feeling too much variety from them.

LaneDS

Just updated my pawn. Casca from Berserk. She will guard you and you pawns and acts like a tank calling enemies to her. She has the extra health and extra stamina and soon she will take less damage from hits and magic once I get playing in the next couple days.

Xbox - BabaIu
Pawn - Casca
Vocation - Fighter

I can't believe how hard it is to take pictures but these are from my phone. The camera makes the pawns move around out of the way and I dont have a facebook.

She is constantly being updated to look more like casca as armor becomes available and new skills and such so if you do use her update her every few days.

High five Casca pawn buddy! Mine is a caster and not nearly as accurate visually, but I appreciate that we both went with the vaguely Guts-looking main character and Casca themed pawn (and yes, I did it entirely because of the Berserk armor sets).

After picking this up day one I finally put in a couple hours last night and came away really pleased. Game has a lot of little issues and "jank" but despite the quirks and flaws I find it extremely entertaining and can't wait to see what else there is to find. Struggling with wanting to read the thread for general tips and feedback versus remaining unspoiled.

For the Conspirators quest
are there any repercussions for who you give the item to? I know you can just forge it and give it to both of them, but I'm wondering if it has any effects on
(different quest spoiler)
the quest with Mercedes where Salvation stages a revolt there.

Lucent

Beat dat dragon last night. Holy - Shit.

This game. THIS GAME.

Dogma + my lion cloth and lion helm all dragon forged - some crazy space assassin shit goin on. I feel like a deadly yoshimitsu.. got pictures of climbing all over the dragon. Whipped the shit out of him .. then loaded in the post game biz - had to battle my way all the way towards Gran Soren as I wanted to save there before I went to sleep and got mobbed by a drake right outside the front gate. Bitch... i just fragged THE dragon... you sir are not shit. Got pics of ripping him up as well... AFTER he killed my entire party. Twice. Love this shit so bad.

I just killed him last night, too. He was so easy though. Just Tenfold Flurry spammed him.

I shall continue my journey tonight.

Creating a super soldier. Essentially you can learn all the augments for all the classes and then combine them in your favorite class.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Creating a super soldier. Essentially you can learn all the augments for all the classes and then combine them in your favorite class.

Nice. you are a bacon of knowledge, thanks again.

So, I really love this game. It has so many things that are cool and fun. I think it got shafted by reviewers.

Ok, that said, there's one thing I have issues with that I don't hear much talk about here so I wanted to bring it up: the difficulty. For the first ten levels or so, I was loving how hard this game was. I was reminded of Dark/Demon's Souls in all the best ways. But since about level 10, it really hasn't been very hard, and since about level 20, it's been downright easy.

Here's my issues:
+ You can save almost whenever you want.
+ You can carry nearly an infinite amount of curing and stamina restoring items (especially if you stack up and give them to your pawns).
+ You can heal in the middle of being hit/attacking/etc.
+ You're playing with three other people all the time.

The combination of these factors made the challenge really go down quite a bit for me. Maybe I just played too much Dark Souls, but once I started taking Chimeras down in 90 sec, I really didn't feel scared walking through the woods at night.

Just my 2 cents.

Dresden

Just play with one or no pawns.

A lot of those complaints occur in the Souls games as well, though. Demon's had you stocking on grasses. Dark Souls had Poisetankdrinking. Both games save perpetually.

Really, just having an animation for munching on curatives would go a long way.

Or you can be an idiot like me and realize after 32 levels that curatives actually do heal you past the grey area...

No wonder I seemed to have more trouble than anyone else doing the long treks when my whole party was in the red and I thought it was perfectly normal!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I just killed him last night, too. He was so easy though. Just Tenfold Flurry spammed him.

I shall continue my journey tonight.

Was so funny ... i was all nerves and adrenaline at first. Thinking of staying away and being safe and using my bow mostly and letting the pawns do their work ... then after about 1 1/2 life bars were gone I thought "Wait a godamned minute. I'm a fucking assassin. This exposed heart goodness isn't gonna Gouge itself!" and then managed to get on then underneath him 3 different times... each time just wrecking him completely.

It was funny tho... like 4 different times I had an epic run up - timed a jump perfectly (i thought) - sailed through the air, arm outstretched... just to get unceremoniously smacked down to the floor like a fly by the dragons weakest attack. that little claw stomp thing he does without even moving his body. It was pretty fucking hilarious... not only for the comedic value of it stopping this grand attack every time.. but also just how little effort the dragon puts into the attack .... "Shoo.... " so good.

That fuckin drake outside GS tho .. jesus. If he hadn't of worked his way under my skin by being such an ass i definitely would have skipped it. Hell hounds man... gdamn.

edit: As far as the augments go ... fairly easy to see where you need to go depending on your playstyle. Strider and Assassin are done for me... i'm gonna rank warrior up in the everfall before I new game plus and then go through the game again as a master assassin that doesn't take any guff from these swine... with ranger and MK following close after. Doubt I'll change up my augments much after I get them set in for deadly tho. Just to swap out the assassin night only cues for when I wanna just go be a damage beast or Ur-Dragon murdering.

Arcteryx

lol so I decided to do some highly "scientific" research a couple nights back by switching my pawn from Fighter(pretty much no skin showing) to Sorcerer(pretty much every bit of skin showing)...the result:
she went from earning ~35k a day to what she had been making in the past, ~400k

Anyways, keep pimpin if you want that rc :)

I agree that curatives are bit too plentiful. I'm running with just a Stridery Arisen and a Warrior pawn, and while it's definitely harder without a healer, it isn't that big of a deal since my pawn is lugging around 20 Potent Greenwarishes.

Being able to save almost anywhere you want, on the other hand, is godlike. My biggest problem with Dark Souls was spending five minutes slogging through the same goddamn trash just to get instagibbed in the first ten seconds of a boss fight.

I remodeled my Arisen and main pawn for NG+ - started as a Mage and currently deciding if I want to stay as a Sorcerer or Mystic Knight.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_10.jpg

Sebbeth and Algol, her loyal old Pawn.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_11.jpg

So easy to get a scenic view of Cassardis.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_12.jpg

Lamp-lit Sebbeth in the Everfall.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_13.jpg

Trying out Magic Cannon.

Tex117

Banned
My biggest problem with Dark Souls was spending five minutes slogging through the same goddamn trash just to get instagibbed in the first ten seconds of a boss fight.
Somebody had a problem with the Capra Demon.

Somebody had a problem with the Capra Demon.
It was a problem with all of the bosses. Brutal difficulty is great. Tedium for the sake of tedium isn't, imo. I Wanna Be the Guy et al are great examples of doing it right. Ball busting difficulty with minimal filler.

Capra Demon wasn't that bad. That Bed of Chaos fucker was the thorn in my side.

It was a problem with all of the bosses. Brutal difficulty is great. Tedium for the sake of tedium isn't, imo. I Wanna Be the Guy et al are great examples of doing it right. Ball busting difficulty with minimal filler.

Capra Demon wasn't that bad. That Bed of Chaos fucker was the thorn in my side.

that was the worst boss in the souls series, though. pure trial and error.

DD needs hard DLC or DD2 has to tweak the gameplay (curatives) to keep it challenging. it's simple game balance. i know they can do it.

that was the worst boss in the souls series, though. pure trial and error.

DD needs hard DLC or DD2 has to tweak the gameplay (curatives) to keep it challenging. it's simple game balance. i know they can do it.

Especially since by the time significat DLC comes out everyone will be lv. 100+ - quests that cater to that level would be ideal and give people a reason to power level.

Vamphuntr

I think I've killed every single type of bosses I could on a single playthrough except for the Ur-Dragon. I don't think I will ever beat the Ur-Dragon though. I think it gets stronger with each generations and I tried 3 times in a row the same one and I don't think I even lowered his life one bit.

Are there new bosses in NG+?

Arcteryx

I imagine they are going to have some sort of extra hard DLC, because having
Everfall postgame loot, which is ridiculously OP
pretty much makes no sense without it. I mean, why put that loot into the game if they won't be having harder things to fight.

If anyone finds some Shadow Greaves in
Everfall
and you don't want them, let me know(PSN) and I'll hook you up likewise.

Lucent

Was so funny ... i was all nerves and adrenaline at first. Thinking of staying away and being safe and using my bow mostly and letting the pawns do their work ... then after about 1 1/2 life bars were gone I thought "Wait a godamned minute. I'm a fucking assassin. This exposed heart goodness isn't gonna Gouge itself!" and then managed to get on then underneath him 3 different times... each time just wrecking him completely.

It was funny tho... like 4 different times I had an epic run up - timed a jump perfectly (i thought) - sailed through the air, arm outstretched... just to get unceremoniously smacked down to the floor like a fly by the dragons weakest attack. that little claw stomp thing he does without even moving his body. It was pretty fucking hilarious... not only for the comedic value of it stopping this grand attack every time.. but also just how little effort the dragon puts into the attack .... "Shoo.... " so good.

That fuckin drake outside GS tho .. jesus. If he hadn't of worked his way under my skin by being such an ass i definitely would have skipped it. Hell hounds man... gdamn.

edit: As far as the augments go ... fairly easy to see where you need to go depending on your playstyle. Strider and Assassin are done for me... i'm gonna rank warrior up in the everfall before I new game plus and then go through the game again as a master assassin that doesn't take any guff from these swine... with ranger and MK following close after. Doubt I'll change up my augments much after I get them set in for deadly tho. Just to swap out the assassin night only cues for when I wanna just go be a damage beast or Ur-Dragon murdering.

lol yeah. I was a max rank Assassin, too. I just changed to Ranger cuz I heard that was the only way to get the longbow drop. I got some daggers out of it, too, so that's awesome. Cuz I love daggers. =D

And that sounded hilarious. His attacks def didn't hurt much. I got hit dead on with a fireball and was like "wait, that's it?" lol. But yeah, them
hellhounds. Met my first two on the way to fight the dragon and the first one grabbed my foot and took off with me. I was laugh'n and like "omg wtf are you doing!!??". So awesome. gonna be annoying if there are packs of those later. I can just imagine me and my pawns all getting separated cuz we were all dragged away. XD

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

Xbox - BabaIu
Pawn - Casca
Vocation - Fighter

RUUvQ.jpg

DiDQB.jpg

YkgAb.jpg

ArChJ.jpg
I need her in my group. I have a pretty perfect Guts and my character is a perfect Griffith, so she's the last piece of the trio.

edit: Got her ~_~

I was so excited to fight the Ur Dragon and when I got to the place, he came, I got a few hits and he flew away lol Will he be back or should I go and sleep for a day for him to show up again?

Something underrated about this game is the story. I like the restrained style. I think the Elder Scrolls series could learn something from the less is more approach. Haven't quite finished yet though so I'll have to see if I feel the same at the end.

Can't wait for a sequel.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh god, what the actual fuck, Capcom. :lol

I can see a lot of hilarity coming out of the affinity thing if you really can get ANYONE as your "favorite". Maybe I should try for Fournival on my next playthrough or something, just for laughs. :lol

I wanna try to get Feste.

And then feed him to the dragon.

Dresden

I really do think Bluemoon Tower is the best looking location in the game, even if the game basically asks you to go back right away for
MY TALISMAN, MY RINGGGGGGGGG

zJcAAl.jpg

mtVLfl.jpg

F1Ehsl.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
lol yeah. I was a max rank Assassin, too. I just changed to Ranger cuz I heard that was the only way to get the longbow drop. I got some daggers out of it, too, so that's awesome. Cuz I love daggers. =D

And that sounded hilarious. His attacks def didn't hurt much. I got hit dead on with a fireball and was like "wait, that's it?" lol. But yeah, them
hellhounds. Met my first two on the way to fight the dragon and the first one grabbed my foot and took off with me. I was laugh'n and like "omg wtf are you doing!!??". So awesome. gonna be annoying if there are packs of those later. I can just imagine me and my pawns all getting separated cuz we were all dragged away. XD

My pawns did such a good job in the cavern leading up to
the dragon not only did i not get dragged away but they didn't get any of their explosive fireball shits off directly at me. I saw it ... just never got hit. Then I stepped outside Cassardis (?) the starting town .. and got straight JACKED ... by 2 goblins and 4 hell hounds. Barely survived. Had to retune my brain for hardcore murder before I went on.

Lucent

My pawns did such a good job in the cavern leading up to
the dragon not only did i not get dragged away but they didn't get any of their explosive fireball shits off directly at me. I saw it ... just never got hit. Then I stepped outside Cassardis (?) the starting town .. and got straight JACKED ... by 2 goblins and 4 hell hounds. Barely survived. Had to retune my brain for hardcore murder before I went on.

Yeah I didn't do too bad. Crazy how much experience these new goblins give. But...I went to Gran Soren and
the inn is gone. Where am I supposed to store my stuff here? And all the stuff the inn guy did for me?

EDIT: Nvm. I found him. =l

so when do you receive loot from the ur dragon? what if i stop playing before he went down? will the damage just be deleted on my side when i go offline?

Top Bottom