• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Arcteryx

Does it matter what I give him? Can I just give him rotten eggs and and fish and he'll be pleased? Also there are some travelling peddlers that have wicked stuff can I placate them with random bits and bobs?

The merchant @ the Great Wall likes Harpsud(or whatever it's called) Juice. He only needs 10-20 of them to max rep

sonicmj1

This game is really cool when all the emergent systems are running. I just did the quest to take back the Shadow Fort, and along the way I took out a chimera and a cyclops while scrambling about at night. There was also some good old fashioned "oh fuck!" with the
drake in the woods nearby
. Made my way there, survived the insane courtyard fight, and won. It felt pretty awesome.

But then I decided to hike back without taking a rest (since it seemed like I missed an obvious route), and the obvious route wasn't actually that much shorter, and I took a long walk past tons of incredibly easy enemies at fairly low health, and it just felt like a drag. I guess I only have myself to blame for not using the ferrystone I was given, but it was some pretty boring travel.

It's totally bizarre trying to take care of normal business in town when you're at critical health. The sound wash-out and red tint remains even when you're talking to people and navigating menus.

In some ways, I wish the game were harder. It feels like I haven't died to enemies since that first Everfall quest. I'd rather see fewer goblins and more monsters that provide a challenge, but I'd also hate to have to spend more time redoing progress.

NG+ is freaking awesome! Love being able to buy portcrystals, I've explored even more of the map in my new game 'cos I can go that bit further. Really glad they still let you access the Ur-Dragon, nice touch. Looking forward to getting back to the Everfall and making it to 100+. Here's hoping they have some proper expansion DLC planned!

yeah, I finished the game up this morning and am looking forward to poking around in places I didn't quite get to the first time (like the blighted manse), maybe mess around with new jobs.

Question though- I got the "true" ending (i guess you could call it).

Does this game end differently if you
take the dragon's bargain
or
lose to the seneschal after the everfall?

how many different ways are there to end this?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Damn, I knew this game would be a problem for my Plasma TV. Turned on some burn-in slides to see if the game did anything after 100 hours and sure enough, the health bar has burned in slightly. Good thing I turned off the button prompts on the bottom right from the beginning, that would've made it even worse. I thought the black bars were going to be the worst offender but there doesn't seem to be any problem with them at all.
I thought I was the only one playing this on a Plasma. Not many issues here though, but I've disabled the HUD. And yeah, no problems with black bars.

Turn in the 20 Wakestones at Everfall to initiate the point of no return, then stab yourself with the Godsbane to start NG+

There's a quest called
Fathom Deep. You have to bring 20 Wakestones to the quest giver
Just don't do that until you're ready to move on.

Sweet, thanks.

I have the stuff needed for that quest and was just about to turn them in yesterday; good thing I waited.

i failed twice at that one, lol. the next time i got a solo drake. i'm a mystic knight currently.

I wasted 12 wakestones on that fight, freaking hellhounds, i actually WON the fight, but my pawn died in the chaos and i freaked, i've never lost my Czarina in a fight, sooo i reloaded.. And ALSO got a drake.. i'd avoided it in the forrest but somehow managed to kill it quite easily, nothing was harder that what came right before :(

In some ways, I wish the game were harder. It feels like I haven't died to enemies since that first Everfall quest. I'd rather see fewer goblins and more monsters that provide a challenge, but I'd also hate to have to spend more time redoing progress.

Agreed. DD never quite reaches levels of Amalur easy, but the challenge sort of takes a nosedive about halfway through the game, takes a spike at the beginning of postgame, then steadily decreases as you acquire all the postgame gear and experience. And let's not get started with NG+...

I'm not complaining, mind you. It's a good thing to start weak and become powerful in an RPG - lord knows that system is preferable to always feeling like a weakling ala Oblivion, or always feeling godlike ala Amalur. Challenge is a difficult thing to balance in such a large game, and I understand the reason it became so easy is because my character is lv.70. That said, I'm holding out hope for some nice DLC designed with postgame in mind.

Jinaar

After playing to level 22 as a STRIDER, I only have then really found about about the impact of changing vocations and how that effects your base stats.

Now at level 22, I have just changed to the MAGE class, then to move to SORCEROR, eventually going to MAGICK ARCHER. Now I haven't set myself a range of levels for each class to get to from level 22, but I have one nagging question:

For those that have finished the game, have your stats really impacted your ability to use a class effectively as well what level were you at by the time you finished the game for the first time?

The way it feels is that already at level 22, I will gain vocations faster then leveling at this point, so I can get some much needed AUGMENTS before going MAGICK ARCHER. The though I have is that if I can level up with the SORCEROR more, the MAGICK ATK stat will be boosted and I can switch without losing HP/STAMINA by leveling up.

I feel at the moment I am worrying too much about stats and if it will effect my game play, where as I should just be enjoying the game and going thru it without nitpicking on things at this moment I do not understand fully yet.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts on this. Cheers.

oracrest

I am starting to get into the swing of things a bit better. I finally switched out my main pawn, who I had been playing with since I started. He was still just a level 6 mage, and falling all the time.

I guess your pawns don't actually gain levels, and you need to switch out for better ones?

With a new mage that cast more thunder spells, it was neat to see those spells change up the cyclops fight pretty drastically. Stunning him where he stood, and making him drop his club right off the bat.

So far I am loving this game!

edgefusion

After playing to level 22 as a STRIDER, I only have then really found about about the impact of changing vocations and how that effects your base stats.

Now at level 22, I have just changed to the MAGE class, then to move to SORCEROR, eventually going to MAGICK ARCHER. Now I haven't set myself a range of levels for each class to get to from level 22, but I have one nagging question:

For those that have finished the game, have your stats really impacted your ability to use a class effectively as well what level were you at by the time you finished the game for the first time?

The way it feels is that already at level 22, I will gain vocations faster then leveling at this point, so I can get some much needed AUGMENTS before going MAGICK ARCHER. The though I have is that if I can level up with the SORCEROR more, the MAGICK ATK stat will be boosted and I can switch without losing HP/STAMINA by leveling up.

I feel at the moment I am worrying too much about stats and if it will effect my game play, where as I should just be enjoying the game and going thru it without nitpicking on things at this moment I do not understand fully yet.

Don't worry about it. Eventually you'll be so powerful you'll decimate anything in front of you anyway.

I am starting to get into the swing of things a bit better. I finally switched out my main pawn, who I had been playing with since I started. He was still just a level 6 mage, and falling all the time.

I guess your pawns don't actually gain levels, and you need to switch out for better ones?

With a new mage that cast more thunder spells, it was neat to see those spells change up the cyclops fight pretty drastically. Stunning him where he stood, and making him drop his club right off the bat.

So far I am loving this game!

You create your main pawn, if you're talking about Rook he's your intro to pawn, he doesn't seem to level so you out pace him eventually.

maomaoIYP

The vocations that you start out doing when you're low level will affect your character more than the vocations that you do when you're high level. The logic is simply this: you level a lot faster than you can gain vocation ranks, hence your associated stats for those vocations will increase a lot faster.

Unless you're extremely nitpicky, don't worry too much about the stats and play as you like. I ranked up all the vocations for both my arisen and pawn, they both play fine despite the small differences in stats.

Jinaar

Don't worry about it. Eventually you'll be so powerful you'll decimate anything in front of you anyway.

Good to know, EdgeFusion. Thanks for the reply. The advent of the Internet and being old has caused me to be overtly curious and cautious, filled with self doubt and failure. Should I go into Witchwood before having really any quests? This random dungeon, why is it here and should I locate any people that have reasons for me to be there first?

Time to disconnect myself from the worry and just go forth and enjoy. :) Cheers again!

EDIT: thanks as well for the information, maomaoIYP, I'm going to heed your advice as well and not dwell on things.

No, having the "wrong stats" will never prevent you from doing what you want to do. I generally paid no heed to my stats. The game doesn't really have any challenges so exacting that you have to plan your build to the letter.

Grisby

Man, Magic Archer has been pretty boring. I guess that's because I'm not using a staff but still my daggers. Bow skills have been disappointing.

I think Strider is still my favorite. Only been doing archer classes so far and saving mage stuff for new game+.

That fight is pretty easy for striders, rangers and assassins.

Everything is easy for striders, rangers, and assassins.

They dragonforge as well but it's not a guarantee and it only dragonforges what you have upgraded to 3 stars I believe.

Yeah, I knew that much. I've just never had my pawn's gear get forged before. I don't know why. I don't even remember anything getting forged when I fought the dragon.

maomaoIYP

Everything is easy for striders, rangers, and assassins.
That's because the bow is basically an assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle and rocket launcher all rolled into one.

Yeah, I knew that much. I've just never had my pawn's gear get forged before. I don't know why. I don't even remember anything getting forged when I fought the dragon.

Only the arisen's equipped items can get dragonforged.

Having some problems with the final boss. I'm a Mystic Knight and I have no range attacks. It seems like it's going to take 4 hours to get those health bars down. Any advice?

I thought I was the only one playing this on a Plasma. Not many issues here though, but I've disabled the HUD. And yeah, no problems with black bars.

Yeah, it's the bright green color of the health bar that screwed me over - I should've realized it might be a problem. I wish there was a way to make it so that your health bar hovers over your head like the party members and enemies. :\
Oh well, I guess now's a good a time as ever to quit my Ur Dragon hunting and move on to NG+, since it's basically impossible to fight that thing without a visible health bar lol.

Ok, I'm in the bandit Forte, decided to make to take diversion after dropping off the Cassardis Pastor at some random but beautiful beach, the sun was coming up as we got there. So the Bandit leader has the tome. He wants no money for it, can the tome be stolen from him when he falls asleep? Or do you have to beat the Tome out of him?

Also I wish the game told you before hand, what rasies affinity. I know Knives make Soldiers like you more, and there's a plant that I am planning to use alot of on Quina because Cassardi females like the plant or something of the sort. I wonder what Bandits like? If I give the leader lots of those, he'll give me the tome while avoiding conflict??

This game is so great, I haven't even done the Myrimdom quest as yet, just getting all the other quests out of the way first...if I can.

edgefusion

Ok, I'm in the bandit Forte, decided to make to take diversion after dropping off the Cassardis Pastor at some random but beautiful beach, the sun was coming up as we got there. So the Bandit leader has the tome. He wants no money for it, can the tome be stolen from him when he falls asleep? Or do you have to beat the Tome out of him?

Also I wish the game told you before hand, what rasies affinity. I know Knives make Soldiers like you more, and there's a plant that I am planning to use alot of on Quina because Cassardi females like the plant or something of the sort. I wonder what Bandits like? If I give the leader lots of those, he'll give me the tome while avoiding conflict.

This game is so great, I haven't even done the Myrimdom quest as yet, just getting all the other quests out of the way first...if I can.

The tome is at the very top of the tower in the bandit fort, you'll have to do some odd jumping to reach it though.

Having some problems with the final boss. I'm a Mystic Knight and I have no range attacks. It seems like it's going to take 4 hours to get those health bars down. Any advice?

Ice enchantments, Magic Cannon. When it's out of reach, run around the edges of the field and look a cliff to climb for one of those arrow shooters to mount on.

explodet

Do you have enough ranks for Magic Cannon? That's what I use when I need ranged damage. Or just equip a staff and go Iron Mage on him.

That plus enchanting your weapon with
Darkness
magic will knock out quite a bit of health off the Dragon, assuming that's who you mean by final boss.

Arcteryx

I can hook you up with the cape and greaves(not fond of either after getting them), add me on PSN and I'll send them in a bit(VinceAutMorire)

Gonna retire since I've done about everything there is to do.
Except grind the Ur-Dragon, which is a pain if only one person is fighting him.
And get all the achievements, but oh damn well.

Does anyone have some general level recommendations for fighting the
Ur-Dragon
? Also, what are some good games to level up?

Well, only fight him when he has a sliver of health left and get an easy kill. That's my sophisticated strategy!

Honestly, I don't think fighting him is any fun at all and I don't get a kick out of the underlying social aspect when I can barely see how much damage I did.

Well, only fight him when he has a sliver of health left and get an easy kill. That's my sophisticated strategy!

Honestly, I don't think fighting him is any fun at all and I don't get a kick out of the underlying social aspect when I can barely see how much damage I did.

Thanks. I am a little confused.
I don't understand why people are referring to this as post game when the plot is clearly not over yet. What I am confused by is if he is someone I have to face in order to progress. I currently have 10 out of 20 of those stones. After 20 stones do I go to whoever the final boss is and then I'm done?

Top Bottom