• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Cth

I didn't see any recent discussion of this, so apologies if this is old news.

Apparently there's an app for the iOS that lets you make and play with pawns. Sort of how the Mass Effect app helped build up Galaxy Ratings.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pawns-unleashed/id516168494?mt=8

Video demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId7nhv2qt4

Features of Pawns Unleashed:
• Pick from the full selection of Pawns and change your Pawns to make the perfect party
• Send your Pawns in a race to complete missions
• Multiple types of missions with varying degrees of difficulty
• Bonus Missions will alert you when there are missions that only you, alone, can perform for extra points
• Spend points (RIFT CRYSTALS) to increase speed, refresh your Pawns, or return them all back to your side
• Compete in special #PAWNRevolution missions to earn special rewards like DLC

Future Updates will include:
• A Leaderboard: See who has the most RIFT CRYSTALS globally and among your friends
• An Activity Board: See your friends’ progress and compete against friends
• Make memorable moments by putting your PAWNs in your photos

Based on everything I'm reading though, it seems like DD is not actually trying to compete with something like an Elder Scrolls title, though it does use a vaguely similar framework. I've heard more compare it to a From game than anything else.

To me it looks like the game is trying to be a jack of all trades. To get Dragons Dogma you mix in some traditional jrpg, some dark souls, some skyrim, some devil may cry, some sotc...

Its an easy formula for reviewers to pick apart since each component will never live up to its influences but it also feels like the type of game I've been waiting for. Anyway I'll see how it feels myself in a few days

Also, shidoshi is spot on about dumb sidequests being the new random battles

Did you even read the review?

He had several gigantic main complaints.

1. The AI and Pawn AI is fucking horrendous.
2. You are given quests that are impossible to complete without leveling up several levels...and then by that time the quest is grey and worthless.
3. And yes the story is non-sensical
4. Horrid camera angles

1. Did anyone tell the reviewer that Pawn AI is meant to start out daft and that they're supposed to get better the more they learn?

2. I don't like the word "impossible". If it's true that you are given a quest at level 5 that can't be completed until level 60, that's poor game design. If you're given a quest at level 5 that seemingly can't be completed until level 10, perhaps there's a smart way around it. I'm not discounting the possibility that the reviewer just sucks.

3. I know nothing of the story, but non-sensical is better than bad, I guess. Did the reviewer play through until the end?

4. I agree, the camera is awful.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Who has hyped DD as a Skyrim Killer? I've always heard it billed as a Dark Souls "ripoff". If anything, reviews are reminding me of Dead Island. There are people that love that game and people who hate it. This one has a bit more positive press.

Anteater

I'm usually more encouraged by games that don't get 9s across the board, it means at least some of the reviews are actual opinions and impressions and not advertisements.

To be honest, most of the reviews for DD so far sounds surprisingly fair, at the same time we are so used to seeing big games getting a free pass even when they were plagued by bugs and framerate issues, so relatively it makes DD sounds like a huge technical mess when it's probably not.

Like the oxm uk review was nothing but praise, at the same time he felt that he can't ignore the pop-ins and other missed potentials and technical issues.

benzy

I don't get this criticism. (And I have seen the same criticism scattered across other reviews as well.) Pretty terrible compared to what? From my experience with the demo, the models are better than Skyrim, and Dark Souls by a country mile. It could be that by including your customized characters in cut scenes, the game forces you to see your characters, and all their awkwardness, more often, but isn't that the point of customizing a character - so you can see them?

Yeah, character models look pretty nice to me, especially for an open world game. It's a good step above skyrim in terms of modeling and especially animations. You can see polygonal edges in skyrim, not so much here.

dd4tku1.jpg

emalord

A few more shots.

Fighting undead down in the Everfall.

11813_357249654338808_100001613296269_929110_1133078818_n.jpg

Ironcreed, nice shots in here,
just one general info: how much freedom in taking screenshots?
I mean, it's just a screen-grab or can you pan the camera, zoom in and out, apply some effects like DOF?
How deep is the whole thing?
Thanks for your (or someone else's) reply

Anteater

Yeah, character models look pretty nice to me, especially for an open world game. It's a good step above skyrim in terms of modeling and especially animations. You can see polygonal edges in skyrim, not so much here.

http://h11.abload.de/img/dd4tku1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

It's probably the blocky fingers!

I still think DD aren't getting enough credits for its "graphics" though, I know the environments look "bland", but the amount of details put into the animation and effect are amazing, I prefer it over a lot of games with poor animations everyone seems to complain about these days.

Wallachia

Your soul is not ready..

I played for over 12 hours this weekend. So impressed, so far. I don't even know what to comment on. I haven't been this immersed and unshowered since Dark Souls, and I only did an 8 hour stint on that one. So far, this may take the crown over Dark Souls, imo.

Ask me anything..

Karak

But..but what about my ideas?! I had so many!

Also if you are not online(not connected) the game autogenerates its own pawns to fill the world and you will see them walking around and can hire them. Thought that was pretty cool..

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Your soul is not ready..

I played for over 12 hours this weekend. So impressed, so far. I don't even know what to comment on. I haven't been this immersed and unshowered since Dark Souls, and I only did an 8 hour stint on that one. So far, this may take the crown over Dark Souls, imo.

Ask me anything..

Nice..is traveling at nite really an instant deathfest if you run out of lamp oil and happen to run into enemies? Just trying to get a gauge on how much a pain in the ass night travel will be.

benzy

nice!

I still think DD aren't getting enough credits for its "graphics" though, I know the environments look "bland", but the amount of details put into the animation and effect are amazing, I prefer it over a lot of games with poor animations everyone seems to complain about these days.

Yup, there's an awesome amount of detail in enemy models too.

Dragons-Dogma_2012_04-10-12_007.jpg

daffy

Banned
Review ignored.

Seriously reviewers make up your minds. You can't keep picking and choosing when story is important.
so do you just Ctrl F "skyrim" and start moaning because it's popular. You're yelling at clouds because reviewers gonna review. Its a 2/5. Deal with it.

Derrick01

Banned
so do you just Ctrl F "skyrim" and start moaning because it's popular. You're yelling at clouds because reviewers gonna review. Its a 2/5. Deal with it.

I read the review on the site which I wish I didn't. The moment someone start knocking a game for its story but then try to say Skyrim's is sophisticated is the moment I ignore them. They no longer have any credibility, so why should I keep reading? Hell even when I thought Skyrim was good I would have never pretended the story was anything special.

Karak

Nice..is traveling at nite really an instant deathfest if you run out of lamp oil and happen to run into enemies? Just trying to get a gauge on how much a pain in the ass night travel will be.

After beating it now I can say that night is not a death-fest UNLESS you run out of lamp oil because damn it is dark and then your chances rise for dying but its not 100% guaranteed. I mean sometimes you may be able to make it through. But lamp oil doesn't burn out super fast so planning can get you through the night.

I traveled probably 50-70% at nighttime when playing the game. I died very few times. And if I ever died at night it was because I had not planned correctly. Healed up, right pawns, oil for lamp, healing stuff. That kindof thing.

Karak

The landscapes SOMETIMES look bland and at other times look downright amazing. As always the animation though is the highlight here. So many little details. After beating it I really did think about returning to it but I think I will hold of for just a couple days before jumping back in.

Karak

That review is so ridiculous. Origins didn't have a "sophisticated" story either, and Skyrim? Fucking lol.

It would be nice if like online dating, reviewers had something that read like a lists of important factors to them.

Hi I am "blank" and when reviewing games the following are important to me-

Story
Endgame
Collectables

The following things I usually can ignore
Bugs
Bad GFX

You know something like that:) It is an honest collection of thoughts on their part and primes the reader for the game review. It would also help an editor when deciding who gets the review.

daffy

Banned
I read the review on the site which I wish I didn't. The moment someone start knocking a game for its story but then try to say Skyrim's is sophisticated is the moment I ignore them. They no longer have any credibility, so why should I keep reading? Hell even when I thought Skyrim was good I would have never pretended the story was anything special.
It says though that it's not as sophisticated in plot arc or narrative as skyrim. And from what I have seen that looks to be holding up. The game just looks dull in the way it's story is presented, its probably gonna be like Super Mario or something. Whether you disliked skyrim story or not, it was presented and folded in a good way.

This ending twist talk has got me pretty excited I love, good and bad, twists.

Here's hoping for another LOST: Via Domis like ending.

ironcreed

Banned
Ironcreed, nice shots in here,
just one general info: how much freedom in taking screenshots?
I mean, it's just a screen-grab or can you pan the camera, zoom in and out, apply some effects like DOF?
How deep is the whole thing?
Thanks for your (or someone else's) reply

Just screen grabs. You pause the game at the moment you want, then select 'photos.' From there you simply press start again to take a picture, and it adds the Dragon's Dogma logo.

Anteater

This ending twist talk has got me pretty excited I love, good and bad, twists.

Here's hoping for another LOST: Via Domis like ending.

Yeah I'm still looking forward to what others will say about it, because there seems to be multiple endings, and I kind of wonder if it has any effect to the actual game.

Wallachia

Its pretty scary, especially with headphones (all the sounds). Yes, the worst is if you get wet in a river and your lamp goes out. You can't see shit. The undead come out at night too, literally out of the ground. It's pretty scary, but fun.

Really appreciate the depth of your explanation for your dislike of the pawn system. I think I've confused myself over the last week reading reviews though, so let me ask this: Is it correct though that your main pawn levels with you, that it also learns like the pawns you pick up along the way, and that all pawns, including your main pawn, are optional?

If all that is true, even if the game is brutal, it sounds like I might enjoy just keeping my main pawn and skipping any others through the course of the game.

but it's nowhere near as sophisticated as Dragon Age: Origins or Skyrim in terms of its plot arc or its ability to construct a compelling narrative...

because what's unsophisticated & uncompelling becomes both sophisticated & compelling only when included in major western releases...

really liked skyrim. but 'sophisticated' & 'compelling' are not 2 words i'd use to describe the game's narrative. nor do i even remember there being a 'plot arc'...

Kaizer

Banned
I'm still excited for the game, as I enjoyed the demo, but I'm definitely glad I decided to "GameFly" this before deciding on a purchase.

Anteater

Jim Sterling elaborated on his DLC comments:

Jim said:
On DLC: The ads aren't too outrageous, they're just cause for me to say, "Really Capcom?" Basically, they mix them in with the tutorial popups, reminding you that you can get DLC quests if you want.

I wouldn't worry too much. The main game has a shit-ton of quests already, and since most of it's of the, "Get items/Kill monsters" variety, I doubt most of the DLC quests will be must-have things.

So it seems like it's not actually too bad afterall, I thought it would pop up in game in a quest or some shit.

mollipen

Really appreciate the depth of your explanation for your dislike of the pawn system. I think I've confused myself over the last week reading reviews though, so let me ask this: Is it correct though that your main pawn levels with you, that it also learns like the pawns you pick up along the way, and that all pawns, including your main pawn, are optional?

If all that is true, even if the game is brutal, it sounds like I might enjoy just keeping my main pawn and skipping any others through the course of the game.

Okay, so, let's see here.

You + personal pawn + two rented pawns

Can level up: You + personal pawn
Can have skills customized: You + personal pawn
Can "learn": Personal pawn + rented pawns
Can collect items for you: Personal pawn + rented pawns
Can have their armor/weapons changed out: You + personal pawn
Optional: Rented pawns

At least, I don't think you can rid yourself of your personal pawn. I mean, I guess I never tried. *laughs* But where as you can tell your rented pawns to take a hike, I don't believe you can for your personal pawn.

LProtag

Finished up the final bits of my character customization, now I wait for Amazon to ship my game out. I think UPS shows up at around noon... I hope they do, anyway.

Anteater

According to the IGN review, sort of.

It's a main romance plot according to oxm uk, there's also an affinity system which Matt from oxm didn't max out.

I don't know why but I still feel that ign's review is eerily similar to the oxm uk review/q&a, they listed similar points :/

emalord

Just screen grabs. You pause the game at the moment you want, then select 'photos.' From there you simply press start again to take a picture, and it adds the Dragon's Dogma logo.

Mmmmmh, that's not good news for me. I hoped there were some options in the recipe... :(

Anteater

Okay, so, let's see here.

You + personal pawn + two rented pawns

Can level up: You + personal pawn
Can have skills customized: You + personal pawn
Can "learn": Personal pawn + rented pawns
Can collect items for you: Personal pawn + rented pawns
Can have their armor/weapons changed out: You + personal pawn
Optional: Rented pawns

At least, I don't think you can rid yourself of your personal pawn. I mean, I guess I never tried. *laughs* But where as you can tell your rented pawns to take a hike, I don't believe you can for your personal pawn.

Is your pawn online shidoshi? I wonder if we'll run into her/him :p

Karak

Jim Sterling elaborated on his DLC comments:

So it seems like it's not actually too bad afterall, I thought it would pop up in game in a quest or some shit.

Sorry I didn't see you ask about it. The thread must have been moving fast. Ya the DLC stuff, a none issue they made it as non in your face as possible while STILL having it somehow in the game and mentioned. Not bothersome at all.

Top Bottom