• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

demigod

Amazon just shipped my copy, damn too bad they never ship it so I'd get it a day before release day.

People seriously still look at reviews before making a purchase? I either play the demo or watch youtube videos and see if it's my type of game or not. Gaming journalists has gone to shit so I don't trust them.

1stStrike

Banned
My copy just shipped. I can't wait for this, to be honest. Really hyped over all the options, the gameplay and so on. I don't care what the reviews say - what I played during the demo controlled just fine and was plenty of fun, especially when it unexpectedly got dark and I was trying to dodge shit flying at me in near pitch dark. Had a ton of fun with it and definitely felt that this was worth a release day purchase.

Anteater

Sorry I didn't see you ask about it. The thread must have been moving fast. Ya the DLC stuff, a none issue they made it as non in your face as possible while STILL having it somehow in the game and mentioned. Not bothersome at all.

That's all I needed to hear
nod-of-approvalyojui.gif

Amazon just shipped my copy, damn too bad they never ship it so I'd get it a day before release day.

People seriously still look at reviews before making a purchase? I either play the demo or watch youtube videos and see if it's my type of game or not. Gaming journalists has gone to shit so I don't trust them.

A lot of people still read reviews and make decisions based on them. Not entirely sure why. I usually skim reviews just to read the writer's opinion. Can't say I've ever made/canceled a purchase because of a review.

Karak

I always check out particular sites or reviewers who have merited watching. Sometimes its because they like the games I like, other times its because they enjoy the same aspects of games that I enjoy. But reviews are VERY useful if you are careful with how you go about getting the information.

But that all doesn't mean I don't agree with your last sentence:) Most of the reviews I read are from non-professionals, blogs, and so forth.

Babalu.

so when are we going to get some custom made characters posted here. Or is there going to be another thread with all custom characters.

I want some claymore girls and some band of the hawk damnit but I suck at making characters.

branny

I don't have a problem with the reviews, but I do worry that middling reception will dissuade Capcom from trying something new like this in-house again.

I am happy to see journalists weigh in on their opinions and be truthful to how they feel about a game; I just don't like when those opinions are underqualified, skewed in ridiculous directions, or totally irrelevant.

creid

The demo for this really doesn't showcase a lot of the features that I'd only know about from reviews & previews. Ignoring the written word IMO is overreacting.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't have a problem with the reviews, but I do worry that middling reception will dissuade Capcom from trying something new like this in-house again.

I am happy to see journalists weigh in on their opinions and be truthful to how they feel about a game; I just don't like when those opinions are underqualified, skewed in ridiculous directions, or totally irrelevant.

Seems a problem with the journalistic immaturity of game media, is that in order to get 'truthful' opinions we must often settle for people who are being harsh because they're unhappy. Often for reasons that come across as uninformed or petty, or the classic scenario "let's give the fighting game review to the sports editor who only plays Madden and FIFA."

However, as for this game, like Operation Raccoon City who knows what will happen. Despite middling reviews, it might be just the kind of game that would go over well right now.

Arcteryx

so when are we going to get some custom made characters posted here. Or is there going to be another thread with all custom characters.

I want some claymore girls and some band of the hawk damnit but I suck at making characters.

Some were posted in the other thread(demo impressions). I'll post my main/pawn(along with settings) when I get the game tomorrow. Hopefully the pawn sharing thread goes live by then too.

We european peasants have to wait until Friday :(

Even though my copy shipped today, I probably won't get it til a week later..

A lot of people still read reviews and make decisions based on them. Not entirely sure why. I usually skim reviews just to read the writer's opinion. Can't say I've ever made/canceled a purchase because of a review.

I definitely don't read reviews. If I ever do, it's after I've played/beaten the game. It probably helps readers decided if they're on a verge of either getting it or not. I haven't read a decent review ina while, so I say just 'Play it and find out for yourself'

Beautiful. 10/10

Agreed. Mine isn't as nice, but I'm still messing around til I'm content

Uh . . . that's what Dark Souls is.

Mhh but i had the feeling after playing Dragons Dogma (Demo) and Dark Souls that DD is more like (Normal)Dragons,Orcs,Harpy,Manticore (Everything looks so brightly) and Dark Souls more like Undead Dragons,Something like a Dracon, Zombies, well... everything so disturbing and dark.

Mhh but i had the feeling after playing Dragons Dogma (Demo) and Dark Souls that DD is more like (Normal)Dragons,Orcs,Harpy,Manticore (Everything looks so brightly) and Dark Souls more like Undead Dragons,Something like a Dracon, Zombies, well... everything so disturbing and dark.

Doesn't look like DD will have anything as terrifying as that centipede-looking thing in DS. I think you'll be alright.

edit: there are zombies, though.

Teknoman

Doesn't look like DD will have anything as terrifying as that centipede-looking thing in DS. I think you'll be alright.

I hope there are some enemies that are original designs as well. Capcom is pretty good at making some nice looking original beasts, so a few injected here would be cool.

This ending twist talk has got me pretty excited I love, good and bad, twists.

Here's hoping for another LOST: Via Domis like ending.

Oh man, please let's talk about it when you finish. Also...this post makes me want to go back and finish Lost: Via Domus, which wasn't something I ever expected to say.

Yeah I'm still looking forward to what others will say about it, because there seems to be multiple endings, and I kind of wonder if it has any effect to the actual game.

There are multiple endings, but
not in the traditional sense as far as I can tell. More like a number of bonus "bad" endings and then a final "true" ending that you continue working toward no matter what.

There was said to be romance options in the game. Did that end up being true?

Not that I found, but
there's some minor romance-y stuff in some of the quest plot.

Okay, so, let's see here.

You + personal pawn + two rented pawns

Can level up: You + personal pawn
Can have skills customized: You + personal pawn
Can "learn": Personal pawn + rented pawns
Can collect items for you: Personal pawn + rented pawns
Can have their armor/weapons changed out: You + personal pawn
Optional: Rented pawns

At least, I don't think you can rid yourself of your personal pawn. I mean, I guess I never tried. *laughs* But where as you can tell your rented pawns to take a hike, I don't believe you can for your personal pawn.

Thanks for the concise list, some of the reviews have been clear as mud and I've been trying to avoid too many spoilers.

I'm hoping I enjoy the system more than you did though ;p I'm mostly planning on avoiding hired pawns, at least on my first playthrough.

Overall, a very fair review. I especially liked your "The Ugly" caveat. Capcom is Japanese, though they're definitely trying to distance themselves from that design philosophy. I think the aesthetics of DD would have greatly benefitted from Capcom sticking to their roots.

I can understand the issue you have with your Pawns - the game definitely encourages a dismissive attitude towards them, making them more akin to weapons than characters. Perhaps that's their role in-world, but it is an odd concept. That said, after hundreds of hours of adventuring through Fallout and Skyrim, it's nice to have any companionship at all - even if you will have to ditch them down the line. At the end of the day, your main pawn will always be a constant, so there's an attatchment to be made there. That's more than you can say for your average AI companion in an open-world RPG, given that you can build them in whatever archetype pleases you. I believe DD would be better if you could build your entire cast of pawns from the ground up, really. But as things are, I think the Pawn system does a good job of balancing keeping things fresh and "dynamic" versus having a cohesive team that grows alongside you.

Review deepened my excitement for DD. I will absolutely plaster this thread in screenshots come Tuesday.

I hope there are some enemies that are original designs as well. Capcom is pretty good at making some nice looking original beasts, so a few injected here would be cool.
Yeah, definitely. I've been avoiding videos beyond early play so I'll be surprised by some stuff.

Oh man, please let's talk about it when you finish. Also...this post makes me want to go back and finish Lost: Via Domus, which wasn't something I ever expected to say.
Lol, I should get around to that too. I randomly got it in January for like 4 bucks and haven't touched it since.

lunchtoast

Anyones Amazon copies ship yet using release day delivery? Mine hasn't shipped yet, just says "shipping soon" with an estimate for tomorrow.

Wallachia

Ha. I don't know. I was shittng bricks wandering a rocky hillside at night when an Ogre rushed me, beating it's chest like a gorilla. And the time a Griffon was flying overhead when I was in country side, far from any rest or city. I was praying, don't swoop down, don't see us, please. Some awesome moments like that.

fallingdove

Agreed. Mine isn't as nice, but I'm still messing around til I'm content

I love the fact that Capcom not only include the character editor in the demo, but allows you to use your demo creations in the full retail game. It has made the wait bearable as I have been able to tweek my arisen and pawn to my liking.

I think I have finally gotten my characters to look the way I like. Going for a Bowie/Iman looking adventure.

Lucent

I love the fact that Capcom not only include the character editor in the demo, but allows you to use your demo creations in the full retail game. It has made the wait bearable as I have been able to tweek my arisen and pawn to my liking.

I think I have finally gotten my characters to look the way I like. Going for a Bowie/Iman looking adventure.

Yeah I agree. I think all games with character creators should release demos like this and what Saints Row 3 did. It's great being able to get your character out of the way so you can focus on it without wanting to rush through it to get into the game quicker. And with it already done, you can jump right into the game.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Someone mentioned Manji and Rin earlier and I almost gave out a 'Drat!' at how great an idea that is!! still ... i think my Havlock Vetennari and Captain Vimes from discworld adventurers are gonna work out well :)

Yeah I agree. I think all games with character creators should release demos like this and what Saints Row 3 did. It's great being able to get your character out of the way so you can focus on it without wanting to rush through it to get into the game quicker. And with it already done, you can jump right into the game.

Haha, I perfected my character in the demo but I'm going to remake them from scratch when I get the full game. Because I can.

Lucent

Haha, I perfected my character in the demo but I'm going to remake them from scratch when I get the full game. Because I can.

NO YOU CAN'T! lol j/k =P

Yeah, well, I'm completely content with my characters. Trust me, I spend about an hour in character creators. I actually find it a blessing though that the sliders are basically 1-5 instead of something you can inch up or down on. Took me forever to make characters in TES/Fallout games because of those. =l

Wallachia

What elemental effect is everyone using on their weapons? I'm a Fighter class still, and I have my Pawn booning me with Fire, Holy, and Lightning.. all are so cool and do some awesome looking damage effects to monsters :)

PS. I love the Pawn speak.. and how often you hear the word, 'aught'.

NO YOU CAN'T! lol j/k =P

Yeah, well, I'm completely content with my characters. Trust me, I spend about an hour in character creators. I actually find it a blessing though that the sliders are basically 1-5 instead of something you can inch up or down on. Took me forever to make characters in TES/Fallout games because of those. =l

I actually enjoy spending about an hour in chargen - it's one of my favorite parts of the game. In DD, I'll have to do that twice! I'm weirdly excited about that.

Top Bottom